• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is the poorest generation of all time at creative standpoint...

Eumi

You should stop playing sequels in long running series if you want something that is new and isn't built on older games.

old.jpg

To add to this, for the most part, I much much prefer this current gen over the gen before it (Xbox360/PS3 gen) for many reasons

patapuf

People will tell you that you're simply looking in the wrong places and that you should try the PC or indie games, and there's some truth to that.

In the end, though, I think you're right in some respect. The best thing to do is to simply accept that gaming has changed over the course of the last 1-2 generations. It's a different kind of business, garnering to a different kind of audience. The infatuation with streaming, sharing and games-as-service speak volumes: The gaming industry is a behemoth now, fighting to dominate the free time of its customer base. They want you to think about gaming all the time, to do nothing else, and to have you connected to them 24/7 so they can monetize all that time you spend - be it with fees, microtransactions and unlocks, online stores or simply to increase the effect of their marketing. It's not too suprising really, and people seem to love it. But it's different from, say, the PS2 generation.

The way I see it, you either accept this and try to like what gaming has become, look for a niche that you can be happy with, become a retro gamer or simply say: screw it, I'm out.

In my experience people that say gaming is stagnant are unwilling to try new things or go out of their comfort zone.

If Square Enix, Capcom, Konami or one of the big western pubs isn't pushing it it gets ignored. They are patiently waiting until one of those brings out something new while lamenting that their favorite franchises aren't as good as they once were.

No wonder you don't find new stuff to play.

If you want new experiences you can't just look at the same handful of devs you've looked at for the last 15 years. There's literally never been more variety and new experiences coming out than today.

Also I think if one really tries they can find threads like this in every gen on neoGAF.

Hard to see the tree when you are focusing on a leaf.

bede-x

This generation is far more creative and diverse than a decade ago when people could complain about everything starring "bald space marines" and have a point.

Absolutely. Move outside the little AAA bubble and there's tons of creative games everywhere, more than ever before.

Kthulhu

This is the golden age, son. You might be in the wrong hobby.

For real. Yeah there's some BS to deal with, but it's been way worse in the past.

Reviews are abundant, ports are typically consistent across multiple systems, digital downloads are now viable on console and PC, consoles can essential act as the hub to your media center, all consoles can connect to the internet in one way or another, are controllers are wireless, and we all use the same standard for video input.

All the risk and innovation is in the indie stuff. AAA will continue to play it safe for a very long time. So much money is being put into the visuals and marketing that they can't afford to take chances elsewhere. Thankfully storytelling has improved in the AAA space.

Kthulhu

I have the PSVR and as cool as it is, games are usually point and click style and are very shot games, enjoyable for sure but really really short.

That's Sony's fault. The Vive, and to a lesser extent the Oculus, are where all the cool shit is happening.

Edit: also keep in mind that this is an entirely new way to play games, and developers have to figure out how to account for that like they did with dual analog controls and a first/third person camera.

Maxey

I still haven't seen OP acknowledge indie games in this thread.

OP, are you one of those people who dismiss indie games or what?

Western AAA games have been relatively safe but have been of quality. Japan on the other hand has been incredibly creative and have even reinvented some of their long standing franchises. I think we are in good place. Especially if you add Mid tier and indie developers.

Angel_DvA

I still haven't seen OP acknowledge indie games in this thread.

OP, are you one of those people who dismiss indie games or what?

No not really, I have played and finished indie games like Firewatch, Ori, telltale games, Transistor, child of lights, dead nation, contrast etc...

Is this secretly another Destiny thread?

I didn't name it for a reason, I'm not talking about it especially, I already put my sentiment over the game in the beta topic, I'm talking about AAA in general.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I do agree to an extent when it comes to triple A games. The reason why you don't see many triple A games with new gameplay concepts is the combination of avoiding risks and the fact that.. we reached the peak. I do believe that we reached the peak with last gen, and we're just getting better iterations of known quantities, and that's fine as long as we're getting good ass video games.

And if you're expecting Death Stranding to bring something totally new to the table, I think you should manage your expectations.

mewmew42

Metal Gear Solid V integrated emerging gameplay with great mechanics

Soulsborne series inspired The Surge and Nioh

Horizon Zero Dawn showed how video games as a platform can be very distinct compared to a passive movie experience

The Witcher 3, one of the best RPG ever?

Assassin creed black flag, one of the best pirate game ever?

Finally VR is here?

Xe4

Banned
I mean, you're blatantly ignoring games then claiming because said games don't exist that proves your point.

New games in their series that are creative and original: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Overwatch, ARMS, Destiny, Prey, and more. That's just off the top of my head of completely new IP's. If you dug deeper you could find twice as many new AAA IP's, and that's excluding indie games, of course.

I agree, this gen is basically just an upgrade/continue of last gen. Not saying that's bad, but it is true.

Same open world games, but bigger and prettier and plays better. (The Witcher 3, Horizon)
Same cinematic thrid person action adventure, but prettier. (Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider)
Same first person shooter game with short mediocre singleplayer and a decent multiplayer mode, but again, prettier. (Battlefield 1, COD:WW2)

Even games that are considered ''creative'' and ''bold'' and really just....different.
RE7 is considered a breath of fresh air for RE fans...but it's really just a classic RE in first person mode. It's different, not new.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved RE7. My favorite game of the year so far.

I still loved a lot of games this gen, there are many great games. Really.
It's just that I rarely see any game that impresses me from a creative standpoint, nothing made me go ''wow, so this is the future of [insert genre]!''

TL;DR:
I am not upset, great games are coming out left and right. But it is true that triple A games these days doesn't see much breakthrough.

Maxey

No not really, I have played and finished indie games like Firewatch, Ori, telltale games, Transistor, child of lights etc...
There you go, then. Plenty of creativity in that space.

I get what you mean tho. Big budget games should take bolder steps towards new concepts and ideas, but unfortunately big publishers are very afraid of taking risks and so will mostly take small steps with innovation in their games and push for more ways to make their games more lucrative in the long run.

However, the games themselves this gen have generally been better than last gen, save a few big flops.

13ruce

Banned
With new Ip's like Arms, Splatoon , Horizon etc and improvements and amazing games like GTA, Mario Odyssey(soon), Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata, Rocket League and way more.

I disagree.

AudioEppa

You either get used to playing less games, Or take a break from gaming. The industry is going to be what it's going to be.

Years ago publishers unintentionally cater to you. Not anymore. It sucks right? I've felt the same way, despite my love for call of duty. I hated how FPS's became the popular thing to follow with any new IP last gen.

And there's a lot I still don't like. But eventually more games that appeal to me have been released and coming soon.

Just putting my .2c into this topic.

giapel

Only criticism this gen, like last gen, is the general lack of family friendly cartoon games. Things get better with time obviously, but the beginning was pretty grim.

You are crazy. Innovation is high. Stuff that would have been impossible is now possible. From PUBG to the Witness to Dead Cells to A million Other games. Whole new genres are emerging. The next big thing is just over the horizon too. It's a great time in gaming and if you don't like what you see you just need to look harder. There is something for everyone.

Look again. Really.

If you can look at games like The Witness, Superhot, Rocket League, PUBG, Thumper and Splatoon and say that they're lacking creativity, you have one warped definition of creative. Plus, comparing something like MGSV favorably to titles like that in terms of creativity is just... yeah, no.

With new Ip's like Arms, Splatoon , Horizon etc and imorovements and amazing games like GTA, Mario Odyssey(soon), Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nier Automata and way more.

I disagree.

Most of those games really don't do anything new/innovative. A lot it is just (as you mentioned)improved from previous entries and other games. Many of the nice things those games do is really just an evolution of what we've had for a long time.

Angel_DvA

I agree, this gen is basically just an upgrade/continue of last gen. Not saying that's bad, but it is true.

Same open world games, but bigger and prettier. (The Witcher 3)
Same cinematic thrid person action adventure, but prettier. (Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider)
Same first person shooter game with short mediocre singleplayer and a decent multiplayer mode, but again, prettier. (Battlefield 1, COD:WW2)

Even games that are considered ''creative'' and ''bold'' and really just....different.
RE7 is considered a breath of fresh air for RE fans...but it's really just a classic RE in first person mode. It's different, not new.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved RE7. My favorite game of the year so far.

I still loved a lot of games this gen, there are many great games. Really.
It's just that I rarely see any game that impresses me from a creative standpoint, nothing made me go ''wow, so this is the future of [insert genre]!''

TL;DR:
I am not upset, great games are coming out left and right. But it is true that triple A games these days doesn't see much breakthrough.

You say it better than me it seems, I wish I could have say it like this.

Most of those games really don't do anything new/innovative. A lot it is just (as you mentioned)improved from previous entries and other games. Many of the nice things those games do is really just an evolution of what we've had for a long time.

thank you.

I think this generation has been way better than the last. Last generation seemed to turn everything into an GPs, but we have far more diversity now even within the god genre I was just complaining about.

Even the narrative of AAA being rote and uncreative seems poorly thought out. 2017 alone saw the release of For Honor and Arms, two unique fighting games that are unlike anything anything on the market

Conjo

Banned
I've never before this gen seen or played games like (or with mechanics like) Gravity Rush, Rocket League, Snake Pass, etc... So I'd say I disagree

It's one of the reason why I am so excited about Death Stranding. Even though I haven't played much Kojima games. (I am still looking for time to get into the MGS franchise :p)
Death Stranding sounds like something I have never seen before, everything about the game is so vague and mysterious.

I would be very dissapointed if Death Stranding turns out to be just another X or Y type of game that we have seen before. Except done better.

Will it stop me from enjoying it? No, of course not.

You say it better than me it seems, I wish I could have say it like this.

Thank you, glad I don't sound like some Asian guy trying really hard to express himself with broken English.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There is lots of creativity, just not that much in the AAA space. Its too risky to invest in untested concepts.

That's what I came to say. It's the same for most Art & Entertainment.

Look at SUPERHOT. Most innovative shooter I've played in a decade.

Famassu

There is lots of creativity, just not that much in the AAA space. Its too risky to invest in untested concepts. Thats why you see new IP on a smaller scale to test the market and grow over time I think Splatoon is an example of creative games moving toward the AAA space.
There are a fuckton of creativity & innovation in the AAA/non-indie space. People just don't give credit to a lot of it because of... reasons?

It's harder because there is a lot that has been done. But i think you limit yourself a whole lot. Indies, other consoles?
But even in AAA games there is a lot. Maybe you just don't have an eye for it or it gets lost in the rest of the game.

Anyway, i always laugh a bit when people talk about innovation. Do you innovate a lot yourself? And when innovative games release, do you even buy them?

It's one of the reason why I am so excited about Death Stranding. Even though I haven't played much Kojima games. (I am still looking for time to get into the MGS franchise :p)
Death Stranding sounds like something I have never seen before, everything about the game is so vague and mysterious.

I would be very dissapointed if Death Stranding turns out to be just another X or Y type of game that we have seen before. Except done better.

Will it stop me from enjoying it? No, of course not.

How to setting yourself up for disappointment: the post.

Freddo

OSTs are better
I actually disagree with that.

Sure the music budgets increased and the sound quality increased many times over, but the music itself? I vastly prefer the older melody heavy game soundtracks over the boring underscore game music we have today that usually try to hide in the background like it was some TV/movie soundtrack. Heck, game companies even hire TV/music composers these days, but I feel there is a big difference between the two and it's unfortunate that games try to emulate the TV/movie soundtracks rather than continuing doing their own thing.

Take Yasunori Mitsuda, for example. His game soundtracks from the 90s are still super popular (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears and Chrono Cross) and fancovers are still made regularly, and then he moved over to real orchestral music and suddenly it became a lot more bland and I don't see any fancovers from his latest work, Valkyria Revolution, happening anytime soon. And he's not the only one, I feel it's pretty much that way with the majority of game composers.

Not that awesome game soundtracks aren't made any more, they are, but in my opinion they are noticeably more rare than they used to be.

And don't give credit where credit is due even with non-indie/AAA games.

Yeah, this. This gen has so many brilliant games and variety. This year alone has titles as diverse as Resident Evil 7, Breath of the Wild, Nier Automata, Arms, Nex Machina, Hollow Knight, Prey, What Remains of Edith Finch, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Polybius, Horizon Zero Dawn and many others. And that's just half the year, Odyssey isn't even out yet.

If anything, we're seeing ambitious sequels like BotW and The Witcher 3, awesome new IP like Bloodborne, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Horizon, Splatoon and Overwatch, lots of gameplay focused AAA games like Doom, a heavy emphasis on dynamic and emergent gameplay over scripting in titles like Breath of the Wild, Hitman, The Phantom Pain, Dishonored 2 and Prey, sublime MP experiences like Rocket League, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, Mario Kart 8, R6 Siege and Overwatch, new experiences in VR like Superhot VR and Lone Echo and tons and tons of amazing indies like Inside, Rocket League, The Witness, Ori and the Blind Forest, Her, Hollow Knight, Nex Machina and tons of others.

Add all the promising stuff that's on the way like Mario Odyssey, The Last of Us 2, Death Stranding, From's new IP, Red Dead 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and others and you have to be incredibly jaded to say it's a bad time to be a gamer.

How to setting yourself up for disappointment: the post.

This post sums up the enitre 8th generation of gaming perfectly.

''Dude, the game is going to be great, but don't expect any real innovation. Yes, it's a new IP from Hideo Kojima and has nothing to do with MGS and Konami, I know, but you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. Everyone who expects innovation these days are only setting themselves for disappointment.''

sadffleck.jpg

Branduil

If you only limit your palette to Western AAA studios, then sure, this generation is the death of creativity.

Fortunately, though, this generation has democratized gaming like none before, in addition to seeing a rebirth for Japanese gaming after it greatly contracted last gen. You need to get out of the mindset of the previous gen, where the big 360/PS3 games were always in the media spotlight.

AudioEppa

No it's not lmao. Gaming just keeps getting better.

It really has tbh. Regardless if our preferences 'might' different. In the type of games I enjoy it's gotten better and better. One of the things that I enjoy is not caring about video games "reinventing the wheel" I just want to be entertained for however long the experience is. A game taking creative risks doesn't mean shit, if I'm not enjoying myself.

Rellik

I mean, you're blatantly ignoring games then claiming because said games don't exist that proves your point.

New games in their series that are creative and original: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Overwatch, ARMS, Destiny, Prey, and more. That's just off the top of my head of completely new IP's. If you dug deeper you could find twice as many new AAA IP's, and that's excluding indie games, of course.

I agree with you, but just to be an annoying nitpick, Prey isn't a new IP.

kAmui-

I would like to hear what OP or others who agree with him consider to be games that were completely new from the previous generation?

Rmagnus

Banned
I would like to hear what OP or others who agree with him consider to be games that were completely new from the previous generation?

Splatoon if you considered wiiu as the previous generation. Tbh this year alone makes this Gen much superior to me. The start of the year was amazing to me and i am still waiting on MHXX and mhw personally.

Top Bottom