• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Am Setsuna and Disgaea 5 JP have English

Jimm

Amazing this is exactly what I was hoping for! Will import I Am Setsuna next week! I don't even have a switch yet haha

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just ordered from Amazon.co.jp. So happy they started shipping games overseas.

Oh, and should add that it says arriving March 7-8.

Andyliini

Man, I promised myself not to buy more game before I need them, but there I went again and preordered the Limited Edition of Disgaea 5 Complete. It's expensive as fuck, but man does it look great.

Will probably import I Am Setsuna from Japan later on also. Gotta have all those physical boxes in shelf.

Okay. Got Disgaea 5 of the eshop. Can confirm that you can play in English (in fact if you're account is set to English it defaults to English). Seems to be the same English voices as for the PS4 version as well.

Content wise there doesn't seem to be anything genuinely new (there's the 3 special prinnies that never got an English release and a 1 Million Hell Gift DLC that I don't think came out in English either) but there doesn't seem to be any extra scenarios etc from a brief inspection , there's not even the promotional partnership DLC stuff that never came out in English.

Did you have to get the yen card or if you had say some existing eshop credit would that work? I thought people were saying earlier you could use your native currency for any region (or is it something special for japan)

Thoraxes

Okay. Got Disgaea 5 of the eshop. Can confirm that you can play in English (in fact if you're account is set to English it defaults to English). Seems to be the same English voices as for the PS4 version as well.

Content wise there doesn't seem to be anything genuinely new (there's the 3 special prinnies that never got an English release and a 1 Million Hell Gift DLC that I don't think came out in English either) but there doesn't seem to be any extra scenarios etc from a brief inspection , there's not even the promotional partnership DLC stuff that never came out in English.
Thanks for sharing your results!

PSFan

Is it just the Switch versions that have English included? Or does the PS4 physical version include it as well?

Kar L

Has anyone actually tried the JP boxed copy of I Am Setsuna and can confirm that it is the same as the NA digital download in English?

I am worried that menus and other stuff might be in Japanese still, since "English Subtitles" is all I have read confirmed from a couple of sources.

So it's basically the exact version that I could wait until May to play except I can play it tomorrow instead?

Setsuna is a fucking bad game but disgaea is the reason I wanted a switch and was sad it wasn't launch in US

Yes, I had to use prepaid yen eshop cards (I used Playasia but there are others) , my Australian card didn't work on the Japanese shop.

So it's basically the exact version that I could wait until May to play except I can play it tomorrow instead?

Setsuna is a fucking bad game but disgaea is the reason I wanted a switch and was sad it wasn't launch in US

As far as I can tell that seems to be the case, everything seems to match the English PS4 version. Mind you I haven't really player or combed through. Just did the alt-scenario code (which doesn't seem to have done anything), watched the first cutscene, and wandered around the base and talked to the shop managers.

There's also a Trophy shop which seems to be internalization of the PS4 listm

B.K.

I was hoping I Am Setsuna would have English text, since Square Enix's Final Fantasy PSP ports had English text, if the system was set to English. I guess I know what version of the game I'll be playing. Hopefully it'll have some price drops soon and will be cheaper to import.

Additional anecdotal confirmation, if it were needed: A friend in Japan with a physical copy of I Am Setsuna has confirmed that the language set itself automatically to English when they were using an NA account.

There is even a version with english packaging from Asia, from Heavy Arm Store:
C6C0xvdU8AQYtCA.jpg

C6C6iO1UwAA9yQ0.jpg

https://twitter.com/HeavyArm_Store/status/837868319310925824

So good!

There are a couple of really tiny differences in this so far compared to the PS4 version for Disgaea 5.

DLC Shop -> Special Content
Instead of appearing and being unselectable in the shop until the recruiter opens the 3 former DLC classes (Sorceror, Kunoichi, Celestial Hostess) don't appear in the Special Content Shop until the Recruiter opens (this makes sense since they had to appear on the PS4 so you'd know they were purchased).
Plenair is now recruited via a Strategy Assembly bill which means she's not available until Episode 3. Actually its via a chain of bills with increasing Mana and decreasing pass chance.
Trophy Shop added, which just seems to bring the PS4 trophies into the game since the Switch lacks system trophies.
Everything else so far has been exactly as per the PS4 except for the necessary substitutions for the system differences.

The changes made really are as small as possible too , the "Special Content" Classes / Characters still don't appear in the Data Shop until you recruit them for example while the normal characters appear as silhouettes.

Jimm

So I got payed was just about to order I Am Setsuna from Play Asia aaanddd it's Sold Out. Y_Y

I emailed the guys at Heavy Arm, do they ship worldwide? Guess I'll see.

Rootbeer

Banned
Alright... ordered it from amazon.co.jp. Looks like after shipping it's only about $5 more than the digital copy... this is my first time using amazon.co.jp since they started offering global shipping... hope it goes smoothly

Jimm

Alright... ordered it from amazon.co.jp. Looks like after shipping it's only about $5 more than the digital copy... this is my first time using amazon.co.jp since they started offering global shipping... hope it goes smoothly

I ended up doing the same it is $2.50 AUD more than the eShop copy. Can't complain.
(Sorry Heavy Arm I need it asap lol)

Rootbeer

Banned
I ended up doing the same it is $2.50 AUD more than the eShop copy. Can't complain.
(Sorry Heavy Arm I need it asap lol)
Wonder if there is way to just get the English cover? :) Maybe asking too much there.
Yeah I don't mind the Japanese cover that much. Though an English one would be even more collectible.

For anyone who hasn't played it Disgaea 5 is well worth a look, it's one of the finest SRPGs I've played, its complexity might be a little daunting to a newcomer to the genre but it's worth the effort. Comfortably the 2nd best game on the Switch at the moment.

Waji

went to link and says its not region free. am I wrong in remembering that nintendo let be up to the publisher if it was region free or not?
Ha ha didn't see that, though it's impossible it's not region free.
For some reason the shop may not even be aware of Nintendo changes with the Switch.

If I was going to get Disgaea 5 in May, is there any reason to wait?

It'll almost certainly be cheaper. Japanese prices are ridiculous.
And if you prefer languages other than Japanese or English.

Otherwise no, it's pretty much the PS4 English version with DLC and only the tiniest changes. Even the terrible translations of some Evilities and Geo Effects are exactly the same , as are the NISA-isms that an independent English translation wouldn't have (plip, food, etc ).

I suppose there's a tiny chance they'll fix some of those bad translations but since everything is already updated for the Switch buttons etc, I doubt it.

For anyone who hasn't played it Disgaea 5 is well worth a look, it's one of the finest SRPGs I've played, its complexity might be a little daunting to a newcomer to the genre but it's worth the effort. Comfortably the 2nd best game on the Switch at the moment.

The DLC stuff really makes it fairly easy to breeze through if you're stuck IMO. 1 million HL + the Rank 3 weapons let you solo tank your way through the entire first 2 chapters with maybe some healing support. And you can use your overlevelled single character to recruit high level nooks with the money. Admittedly I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing but I wasn't even doing quests during that run (I was checking Plenair's unlock condition).

And if you're stuck there's Prinny H252 who literally has no other purpose than to be a bomb (or maybe a Magichange weapon).

mothball

Disgaea's ¥7538 price on the eShop translates to $66. Considering the NA version launches in three months for only $6 less, I'd just get the eShop one unless you want the physical.

Jeffrey

i know disgaea isn't really a graphical powerhouse but I'm curious if there is any notable performance drops on the more crowded maps.

i know disgaea isn't really a graphical powerhouse but I'm curious if there is any notable performance drops on the more crowded maps.

I doubt anyone but Japanese reviewers have gotten to the stage of farming Asagi's with Land Decimation and Comet Star, which was the point even the PS4 chugged a bit.

Type40

My only worry abou Setsuna is if the English dlc will work with it? Or if it will need to be purchased from the Japanese eshop.

tsundoku

Well then
For anyone in this thread who hasn't played Setsuna

Its not great

It has a solo piano soundtrack which ranges from incredibly well composed main themes to embarassing fucking child-slamming piano keys tracks when they try to do stuff that should have had a single other instrument

It has a really serene and beautiful post post apocalypse / rural style snowfield like 12000bc in Chrono Trigger but low tech "tileset". Which is a combination of 2d and 3d effects. This is the only tileset in the game. There's like an ice cave interior used in dungeons. Once you've seen that you've seen most of what the game is going to look like

The story is of Final Fantasy 2 quality with characters you met five minutes ago making "heroic sacrifices" And your impetus for the quest being laughable.

The character development is like a Golden Sun game where you could randomly swap around the portraits and not be able to tell the difference between different character personalities. The only character with any personality at all is Setsuna which is just red haired Colette from Tales of Symphonia

The combat system loosely resembles Chrono Trigger and this is exactly what they tried to bill the game as in advertising and get people to mention in reviews. Its somehow even easier then Chrono Trigger, your options are either completely useless or to finish every battle in one turn. Bosses are a complete joke.

I had it on PS4 and tapped out somewhere around five hours? I'm interested if Tokyo RPG Factory can make a significantly better game with their next project because there is competence present in the music and visual design and the market they're targetting. But it is unequivocally a FF2 style of "retro" being billed as a Chrono Trigger

My only worry abou Setsuna is if the English dlc will work with it? Or if it will need to be purchased from the Japanese eshop.

Its highly unlikely other language DLC will work. Consider the case where a purely Japanese version comes out and does all its Japanese DLC then an English version comes out but the DLC is not yet translated.

Does Setsuna even have DLC ? I don't remember any on Steam .

Edit - Just a soundtrack collection.

Top Bottom