• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Inkopolis In Splatoon 2 Is Drowning Out Hate With Trans-Positivity

Gradon

Jesus my ignore list grew thanks to this thread, how very sad trans people's existence is offensive or political to people.

I'm gonna post some LGBTQIA+ drawings on Splatoon 2 now to upset a bigot.

Here's an EDIT: In regards to children questioning their parents about sexuality and gender: I have known since a child that I was gay, I grew up in an extremely homophobic environment, I never knew that it was okay to be gay, I came out to my friends when I was 11, breaking down in tears because I thought the normality of homosexuality was to despise it. I hated myself.

You know what would've helped? This. This would've helped me as a kid, so I hope it helps all the little LGBT kids out there who don't know that it's okay.

I frankly don't give a fuck if it upsets you that you have to explain people's existence to children, they're smarter than people give them credit.

Those are impressive costumes. About a million leagues above anything I had for Halloween (but Halloween wasn't big thing here, growing up).

You sound like a cool dad/mom.

Dad, and thanks :)

My only Halloween costume - growing up on the Isle of Skye, so really not in the loop for Halloween stuff - was a pair of cut-off denim shorts and a shitload of green body paint so I could be the Hulk. My wife was much the same, and I suspect we go the extra mile with Halloween because we missed out. She made the dresses and tentacle wigs, I sculpted and airbrushed the hair ornaments, and my stepdaughter did the eye makeup - they had a blast, even if very few people realised who they were meant to be!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I have three young daughters - 6, 7 and 7 - and they have all played Splatoon, the twins dressed as Callie and Marie for Halloween in 2015, and they're all currently pestering me to get a Switch because they know that's the only place to get Splatoon 2.

I don't have an issue with explaining trans issues or the concept of LGBT to them - we've already touched on some of that with them before now anyway - and I'm certainly not falling into "won't someone think of the children!" mode, but I don't think it's controversial to note that kids will be playing Splatoon 2, and they will be seeing the posts, both anti-trans and trans-positive. Some parents will be uncomfortable with that for a range of reasons - maybe they hold bigoted views themselves, perhaps they want games to be "safe" from anything that challenges them, or perhaps they're just not ready to have a conversation about sexuality and gender with their kids yet. I'm not going to have a problem with the posts or discussing it with my girls, and I hope it helps some people have open conversations about these issues with their kids.
Tell them that if they ever get to the end of the story mode of splatoon 2 tha5 they are end for a fun time

Roufianos

Time to plan a new christening present for my nephew. I'm not taking the heat from my sister if he reads any of this stuff.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I do think the conversation is totally inappropriate for Splatoon,

It's directly related to the subject matter of the game. People need to find a new plausible deniability smokescreen because this one works even less than usual in this case.

captainpat

lFZK59I.jpg

I like how the only messages that don't have any art are the transphobic ones.

Yogg

I think the gender positivity subject is inappropriate for Splatoon for the sole reason that it will unavoidably generate (as we've seen) tasteless/angry/hateful posts for everybody to see. It's Internet, we can't escape that fact. And I'd rather not see those in my Inkopolis.

Gradon

And I'd rather not see those in my Inkopolis.

2569524-0748334841-original

Your point about it not being appropriate has already been debated about in this thread with many coming to the conclusion that being able to change your Inklings gender at the fly of the button is actually, pretty relevant.

Then you see some thinly veiled transphobia in this topic and it's like whats wrong with positivity for minorities? 🙄

Of course if you're talking about the negative posts then we can stand together and report them, yes the Internet is shitty but that's not an excuse to tell others their topics in an open forum that Nintendo seem to have no issues with, are innapropiate.

redcrayon

Yes! A lot of complaints over trans pride (and gay pride - basically anything that deviates from the 'gender binary' and their own heteronormative comfort zones) use "I just want to play my game" or "I just want to live my life without all of this" as qualifiers for their opinions. Which is funny, because that's all LGBTQ people want to do right now, too. You want the issue to go away? Help push for equality so they can live their lives just as freely and without consequence as you do. Simple as that.
This is a great post, and should be pasted up wherever people use 'keep social issues I'm uncomfortable with out of my games so I can continue to go through life with blinkers on' as an argument. Using 'think of the children!' to hide behind them because they associate being trans or gay or whatever as something adult and complicated, when children are free of such prejudice until it's drummed into them, is counter-productive. My daughter's uncles are gay. To her it's completely unremarkable. Why wouldn't it be when she hasn't had a load of shitheads encouraging homophobic attitudes or the idea that it's something complicated to hide from children yet. We're years away from discussions about sex etc, love and respect come first.

No children have problems with gay or trans people. Only some adults have.

Pretty much this. My oldest brother came out when I was super young, so I was "forced" to know of all this from a very young age. It did not affect my own identity in the slightest. It doesn't "pervert your kid's mind" or whatever fucking bullshit.

So I noticed playing tonight after updating my game that most of this is gone from my inkopolis both positive and negative. Did Nintendo clean house? Now I have everyone with mostly drawings and only one just vaguely referencing this.

I learned that trans people were a thing sometime in elementary school. One time my mom mentioned offhand that there are some people who change genders. I never thought anything of it at the time -- it was just another curious fact about the world you learn as a kid and accept without question. I had no idea at the time that anyone considered it controversial or anything.

If there's anything unfortunate about this Splatoon situation, it would be that kids are first exposed to the topic in a setting where people are arguing about it -- a setting where it's presented as an issue with two sides. Positive posts are good, I just wish there wasn't a negative reaction to it. And I hope the positive posts stay positive instead of being baited into fighting.

Eusis

and you can't see how that's not a topic for a place for six-year old's?
The nitty gritty details would probably fly over their heads, but "some boys/girls would rather lives as and be girls/boys" is fine I'd think. If they themselves are trans it'd probably seep out one way or another even at that age.

Yogg

2569524-0748334841-original

Your point about it not being appropriate has already been debated about in this thread with many coming to the conclusion that being able to change your Inklings gender at the fly of the button is actually, pretty relevant.

Then you see some thinly veiled transphobia in this topic and it's like whats wrong with positivity for minorities? ��

Of course if you're talking about the negative posts then we can stand together and report them, yes the Internet is shitty but that's not an excuse to tell others their topics in an open forum that Nintendo seem to have no issues with, are innapropiate.

Yes in my post "those" referenced the hostile messages. Sorry, I thought it would be obvious. I actually don't even know what you think it referenced. Did you just read and quote the last 10 words ?

And yes I can use my time reporting them, but I'd rather not have to see them to begin with. Internet is filled with hostility pretty much everywhere these days, and I'd like Inkopolis to not be a continuation of that.

Neoxon

So I noticed playing tonight after updating my game that most of this is gone from my inkopolis both positive and negative. Did Nintendo clean house? Now I have everyone with mostly drawings and only one just vaguely referencing this.
Either that or the newest meme took over, Callie Appreciation.

Top Bottom