• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WindowsCentral: Xbox One X Amazon pre-orders surpass PS4 Pro YTD for 2017

I think everyone who predicted One S will be the main sales driver base on past data and price will eat crow, including Phil Spencer.
PS4 Pro sales pattern shouldn't apply on One X, New 3DS is a better comparison.
One X might become the first premium as mainstream product in console history.

I think you're making the wrong conclusions here.

I think everyone who predicted One S will be the main sales driver base on past data and price will eat crow, including Phil Spencer.
PS4 Pro sales pattern shouldn't apply on One X, New 3DS is a better comparison.
One X might become the first premium as mainstream product in console history.

Maybe for a few months when the hardcore buy it since XB1S numbers rather low right now.
Also it going to be much easier for the XB1X numbers to be higher percentage wise than the Pro .
If we using WW numbers that 20% for PS4 would be much higher number than it is for MS.

Fredrik

Do you understand what it means though? People on Amazon are not buying PS4 Pros really but instead are getting PS4 Slims. Slim is #9 on the overall 2017 chart at the moment while Pro is in the 90s. It would probably be higher if it counted the initial 2016 sales however, much closer to what the One X is at now. What reason do most people have to get a Pro if they can get a Slim for cheaper with a game bundled in as well?
Well 4K of course. And it's surprising that the few (?) Amazon customers who're interested in 4K has chosen to buy Xbox One X over PS4 Pro, especially when we're talking about 8 months of Pro sales vs less than a week of preorders for X. I don't get it tbh. Is UHD playback such a big deal? Or like I said, do people mistake X for a next gen console?

SPCTRE

WAkCKt2inWE4qpRW
why is it in a bathroom is what I wanna know

Hmm wait a minute, last year PS4 Pro was at No. 46 in these amazon.com charts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye#4 and the only Xbox One console in the top 100 was the One S at No. 64. Does this mean, that the often out of stock Sony console sold better in two and a half months than the Box for the whole year?

I somehow doubt that.

It only shows the ranking of respective SKU. As far as I know other bundles for example don't count in, although I have no idea if Amazon offered any additional PS4 Pro SKUs.

zeopower6

Well 4K of course. And it's surprising that the few (?) Amazon customers who're interested in 4K has chosen to buy Xbox One X over PS4 Pro, especially when we're talking about 8 months of Pro sales vs less than a week of preorders for X. I don't get it tbh. Is UHD playback such a big deal? Or like I said, do people mistake X for a next gen console?

Because anyone who really wanted to clamor for a Pro got one in those first two or three months? I'd say the general populace doesn't really give a damn about 4K.

As it stands though, that 2017 chart only proves people want to get either a PS4 Slim or a Switch with how low the 4K systems are placed.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've always believed the Xbox One X would have a very strong launch in NA. It's also being pushed by MS waaaaaay harder than Sony has ever pushed the Pro.

I'm much more interested in seeing how both Xbox One and Switch fare in 2018. PS4 is obviously going to continue doing great numbers.

wapplew

Think about it. One X already surpass One S 2017 LTD on Amazon.
One X target at Xbox user want to upgrade, PS4 user want to upgrade and new customers who want the best, which don't have any competition.
One S on the other hand, only target at new customers looking for low price entry console at this point, where it have big competition, the PS4 at similar price point and more powerful.

With MS marketing focus on One X and a strong competition, One S have everything goes against it to sell better than One X.
Not to mention if One X get price cut by Holiday 2018, I think One X will replace One S as main sale driver very soon.

Coxy100

Banned
Think about it. One X already surpass One S LTD on Amazon.
One X target at Xbox user want to upgrade, PS4 user want to upgrade and new customers who want the best, which don't have any competition.
One S on the other hand, only target at new customers looking for low price entry console at this point, where it have big competition, the PS4 at similar price point and more powerful.

With MS marketing focus on One X and a strong competition, One S have everything goes against it to sell better than One X.
Not to mention if One X get price cut by Holiday 2018, I think One X will replace One S as main sale driver very soon.

Couldn't disagree more. People who are buying a console new at this stage of the generation cycle are more bothered about price (that's why they've waited this long) so they will buy the cheapest - One S.

It's the same as the PS4 - the Slim is still the biggest seller compared to the Pro (by a big margin).

Yes some people will upgrade and buy the One X - the more hardcore if you like - but there isn't enough of them to suggest they will sell more. Again look at the Pro when it was released last year - the Slim still beat it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I seriously doubt that. Where are you coming up with this? You know there are a bunch of Xbox One S bundles on Amazon and each one is counted separately on these charts, ya?

sony_ps4_pro_04.jpg

The Pro looks too simple to be "embarrassingly ugly." I can see boring, but it's just a black box. Like the One X. They both look basic. What's impressive about the One X is how compact it is.

I don't think any consoles this gen qualify as ugly. They're all playing it too safe to be ugly. Even the OG Xbox One wasn't ugly. It was just huge.

The Pro is a thing of beauty... I don't know what y'all talking about.
The one x don't look bad either, but I think the pro looks better. Just more badass.

I would be adding to the sales of the One X if I didn't just get an S.

sony_ps4_pro_04.jpg

The Pro looks too simple to be "embarrassingly ugly." I can see boring, but it's just a black box. Like the One X. They both look basic. What's impressive about the One X is how compact it is.

I don't think any consoles this gen qualify as ugly. They're all playing it too safe to be ugly. Even the OG Xbox One wasn't ugly. It was just huge.
When I had my fatty PS4, I looked at it and thought it looks good. Like it somewhat completes the room.

But the pro, I don't ever look at it. It's ugly as sin.

And this is where you're making the first wrong conclusion.

If that 20% PS4 Pro share is accurate, Sony sold approximately 400k units YTD in the US. MS however sold well above 1mn XBOX One S Units so far. There's no way that XOX is already above the culminated number of Xbox One S sold. You're reading too much into those rankings.

Xando

I‘m not sure about the US but i could see him be right in europe.

I mean retailers are literally throwing XB1 at you with crazy deals like XB1 + 5 games at 199€. This thing must not be selling very well.
Maybe there are enough hardcore Xbox fans to sell more XB1X than normal SKUs. Atleast for the first year.

Sjefen

MS have used over a year of marketing and used 3 press conferences to market this thing, seems to have worked for pre-orders but the S have lost some momentum in the process. I wonder what preorders are in Europe?

Woah. This is kind of crazy really. I wonder if there is some confusion out there that this is starting a new generation? You see glimpses of this confusion even on this enthusiast board.

You see glimpses of this confusion because some fans think execs are more interested in playing 4D chess and laying down trap cards to "win & surprise" instead of telling the truth & setting realistic expectations.

I say this with a lot of snark, but what XB1X and PS4 Pro is, was known well before the products were even revealed, when the leaks came out.

Phil said from day one that Scorpio was "part of the Xbox One family" and that there would be no exclusives for that platform. Same with Neo, which was a "premium PS4" and is a platform to play PS4 games, without distinction.

Anyone who was confused simply averted their eyes and refused to acknowledge there isn't much more to these consoles than being a .5 upgrade.

wapplew

And this is where you're making the first wrong conclusion.

If that 20% PS4 Pro share is accurate, Sony sold approximately 400k units YTD in the US. MS however sold well above 1mn XBOX One S Units so far. There's no way that XOX is already above the culminated number of Xbox One S sold. You're reading too much into those rankings.

Even so, One S have been down YoY this year and I see no turn over after One X release.
Marketing will focus on One X, only mean One S is facing more challenge than ever.
I think It will be 60% One X at launch, back to 40% after launch and take over at Holiday 2018 with price cut.

Bioshocker

Good news for Xbox. When did that happen last time? Yup, when One S released. But that hype died out quickly. I'm happy for Microsoft if it turns out One X is a big success. They need it, and as an Xbox gamer from the start (owning a PS4 as well now) I still consider them to be the underdog I like to cheer on.

However, pre orders are not sold consoles. And pre orders are not indicative of a console's long term success. So we'll see.

Cyborg

Good for MS but its just logical step when a console launches.

Early adaptors drive up the sales. There is still a lot of work for MS to make this a succes.

It only shows the ranking of respective SKU. As far as I know other bundles for example don't count in, although I have no idea if Amazon offered any additional PS4 Pro SKUs.

Yeah, other One S and One SKUs are probably in the top 200, but there's no way to see that. But still the gap between the Pro and the first Xbox SKU is already pretty big and there's also only one Xbox SKU in the top 100.

Obviously all of that doesn't mean much without sale units, the gap between No. 46 and 64 could be a couple of thousands, same applies to the gap between 64 and say 105...

Temascos

Neo Member
Good news on the Xbox front should these preorders pan out to sales, it's a nice start to have. If they can properly sell it for the third party games looking best on their system it should help stablise things for the next generation, provided of course they bolster their first parties.

We'll have to see how it goes though. Best of luck to them.

Ushay

Wait what? Am I reading this correctly, Xbox One X preorders are already higher than Pro numbers for this year to date (2017)?

Havok1313

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare XOX preorder numbers to Pro preorder numbers from last year? I know we don't have those numbers but the metric being used here seems pretty useless.

Wouldn't it make more sense to compare XOX preorder numbers to Pro preorder numbers from last year? I know we don't have those numbers but the metric being used here seems pretty useless.

Well yeah, but alas we don't have anything else to talk about the One X "sales" yet, so we'll have to do with amazon charts and some MS PR for now ;)

watdaeff4

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've always believed the Xbox One X would have a very strong launch in NA. It's also being pushed by MS waaaaaay harder than Sony has ever pushed the Pro.

I'm much more interested in seeing how both Xbox One and Switch fare in 2018. PS4 is obviously going to continue doing great numbers.

Switch is a wild-card.

For the Xbox one - I think the numbers for 2016 (outside of the S debut) and 2017 (outside of the X debut) will tell you the story

Not good

Chittagong

Gold Member
I didn't realise Amazon already had it on sale and sold out in UK, signing up for that Amazon availability notification does fuck all it seems.

Thankfully was still able to place an order with Argos.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I didn't realise Amazon already had it on sale and sold out in UK, signing up for that Amazon availability notification does fuck all it seems.

Thankfully was still able to place an order with Argos.

I got the notification from Amazon UK, even before the page became available.

zeopower6

Wait what? Am I reading this correctly, Xbox One X preorders are already higher than Pro numbers for this year to date (2017)?

On Amazon, yes.

But on the flipside, Xbox One X is the only Xbox in the top 100 YTD chart at number 60 something while Sony has the PS4 Slim bundle at no.9 along with the PS4 Pro in the 90s.

Whoa. Today I learned there are people with taste so bad they think the Pro looks better than the One X.

wtzgU.gif

Well, I think most people just said 'they like the Pro', not so much that they like it more than the One X which is basically a copy of the PS2 shape/design.

TheFawz

That's kinda hard to believe considering how fast it sold out. Maybe they're not comparing it to all the bundle editions of the Pro?

Eitherway the console seems to be getting a good amount of hype and people are buying into the promise of power. Guess the high price point wasn't as much of an issue as some predicted

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I wonder if it counts people who cancelled their order and then other people took that order?

Not Drake

We all tired off this BS when a console struggles to play a goddamn gm.

I had a launch Xbox One for quite some time and it never "struggled" to play anything. What the hell are you talking about?

OT: Good for Xbox. I'm not exactly interested in X, but it's heartwarming to see a console market looking well and healthy. Sony's, MS' and Nintendo's visions all seem viable.

Top Bottom