• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm finding FFXV to be quite brutal, who was this game catered to?

Eh, the guys are fun, they feel like real friends, the combat is really cool and the ending is fantastic (despite the middle-end being the way it is.) There are a lot of good things in FFXV, but as I've told people who either haven't picked it up or haven't finished it yet, waiting until the DLC and patches are finished wouldn't be the worst idea.

Crevox

It's the fastest selling FF game of all time. You're delusional if you think that.

Simply because they spent so much money on marketing it. They even made a movie for it and multiple side games to promote it.

I platinumed the damn thing...yet it's easily one of the worst games of recent years for me. A crushing disappointment all around. I actually found the opening hours to be the only redeemable parts of the game. So....good luck OP. You'll need it.

Why would you platinum a game you didn't like? There's obviously some enjoyment if you're spending that much time with it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The game is about the bros, if you like them the game will be enjoyable if not pass.. the most FF it feels is near the end. Enemies models are top notch.

Yep.

I liked the game for the bros and exploring the world doing quests (even if many are lame). I found the combat fun too-more engaging than turn based, and relatively easy on normal which I like in my RPGs.

But it never really feels like an FF game, the story is a disjointed mess and the linear second half of the game was drag (but at least short).

The Dude

The Dude,
you can do better than that, with comment like these it's hard to take you serious.

The game is as much as FF as any of the other title before it-
If you liked FF12, I would recommend wait mode- it might just satisfy the turn based feel of the old ff's although not by that much.

Bro it's called just having a little fun, I mean come on.. Just to me tho that's how it feels at times, I'm just joking around when I say it.

Given Japan's been rather lukewarm towards it even though the game has probably still performed impressively relative to the size of their PS4 base, I'll hazard a guess and say the game was in theory trying to cater primarily to as many mainstream western audiences as possible while still towing that line enough to try and not alienate Japanese audiences too much. They glanced over and saw the ubiquity of open world games littered with a seeming endless array of banal side content and decided: hey, we can do that too. They seemed to have made Kingsglaive with the express intent to try and cater to western tastes first and foremost, so it falls to reason that they were driven to do something similar with FFXV. In the end it just looks like an awkwardly kitbashed compromise of a final product to me, though one that has evidently fulfilled its mission statement given its short-term sales success so far. I just don't know if it has had any legs since.

I don't hate the game; I don't think it's terrible and neither is it on FFXIII's level. Par for the course for what I feel to be a product of too many adverse compromises, FFXV to me never clears the bar of mediocrity. It's painfully average. It's a middling experience, where any positives are counterbalanced by equally as potent negatives. Besides the soundtrack and how visually appealing it can be, at no point in the game did I sit up straight, take note and think to myself: wow, this aspect of the game is truly spectacular and constitutes a bar that future games will be measured against. I'm not convinced that what I played was a coherent package. If you told me that there were warring factions within BD5 as they were working on the game and Tabata had to do the thankless job of being the tenuous duct tape to hold it all together and to prevent full on chaos from breaking out and dooming the project there and then, I'd believe you.

Firenze1

Banned
What was the point of the Adamantoise fight in FF15. You can just whack its foot for 30 minutes and no danger of dying.

LordKasual

Banned
Simply because they spent so much money on marketing it. They even made a movie for it and multiple side games to promote it.

It was also coming off the two lowest rated FF games of all time. Faith in the series has never been lower than when XV launched.

They also released multiple demos of the game. And if you'd let GAF tell it, they were all dreadful.

They also held many public playtests of the game, hours of footage was all over the internet months before release, and again if you let GAF tell it, it was looking like a PS2 game. And then it got delayed.

And yet it still broke series records, and despite everything scorned fans bitch about, it remains a critical success as well. By all accounts it shouldn't be, it was given every chance to score terrible, it apparently is a jumbled mess of a game as well...but it didn't.

I don't think the forumla that pulled this miracle off is going to be trashed.

Celine

Man my once favorite series of all time has really fallen so far compared to other series like DQ that just hold the fort down and are typically awesome each and every time.
Jumped the ship many years ago for Dragon Quest and never looked back.
DQ is so good and quite consistent series.

What was the point of the Adamantoise fight in FF15. You can just whack its foot for 30 minutes and no danger of dying.
It's a weird one. It was one of the things they used to sell the game but it's implementation is different from how it was in that one trailer. I'm guessing they couldn't make the fight feel good so they threw it as an ultra post game boss.
The hitbox on it is pretty terrible. You can constantly deal 9999 damage if you target an arm and if you're blocked by another. It'll register as you going very far which would deal a ton of damage very quickly.

Going action RPG was a mistake.
I'm not too sure. Something like Nier is quite well received despite being notably lower budget. Kingdom Hearts, which V13 was basically based from, also has pretty satisfying combat. I just think SE didn't go all the way with the concept maybe due to Tabata's casualization (hold down the button) and a butchered magic system.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Why would you platinum a game you didn't like? There's obviously some enjoyment if you're spending that much time with it.

I'm not that rich so I didn't have much else to play/the Platinum was easy/I'm a sucker for trophies.

Game is still an unforgivable piece of shit. May Tabata never direct again.

Reset

To people who like a rpg with a fun battle system and likable characters. :]
The second best FF, but it does have the best battle system out of the entire series.

HeeHo

Most of the damage you can deal comes from attacking the head. Specifically, it's eyes.

Yeah, an extremely boring fight because of that. Too easily exploitable even for cheesings sake.

I assume he used some the magic that lifts the damage cap. I haven't used any of those spells personally, though.

LordKasual

Banned
there is a good strategy for them, you don't have to depend on luck, esspecialy if you gonna farm them, at least there is a strategy here damn.

This was pretty much the leading strategy for farming them as early as possible, since they drop traps.

This was also how i defeated Neochu, because that battle was stupid as fuck after they removed the ability to blindside him in the US release.

I feel like a pretty good amount of my XIII endgame playtime was spamming Death with vanille. I wasn't about to waste my time grinding out CP to fight them the regular way. XIII probably had the most grindy Final Fantasy endgame ever, unlike FFX it didn't actually include any real clever tricks to accelerate the leveling process....outside of Death anyway.

there is a good strategy for them, you don't have to depend on luck, esspecialy if you gonna farm them, at least there is a strategy here damn.

I mean....you just said it takes you 30 minutes to kill him, and there's youtube videos of people beating it in 6 or 7 minutes (pre level cap raise).....so obviously there is strategy going on.

But i agree the fight has some problems, targeting/hit box is weird because its such a giant enemy. The best fights in the game are in the final dungeon where they take items away. Forcing you to play the game correctly instead of just spamming healing items.

This was pretty much the leading strategy for farming them as early as possible, since they drop traps.

This was also how i defeated Neochu, because that battle was stupid as fuck after they removed the ability to blindside him in the US release.

I feel like a pretty good amount of my XIII endgame playtime was spamming Death with vanille.
the leading strategy to farm them early was to start the fight as sazh in syn/syn/sab roles and as soon as buffs were done spawn his summon to knock it down. Once it was down spawn Sazh's blitz.

Then use the Behemoth mob that was fighting some other mob to refill gauge for summon. There was 0 point in bothering to cast death on an adamantoise

KanameYuuki

To people who like a rpg with a fun battle system and likable characters. :]
The second best FF, but it does have the best battle system out of the entire series.

It is not even the second best FF on PS4, if FFXIII is a press X to win game, this one is worse, it is even more brain dead, hold X to win.

LordKasual

Banned
the leading strategy to farm them early was to start the fight as sazh in syn/syn/sab roles and as soon as buffs were done spawn his summon to knock it down. Once it was down spawn Sazh's blitz.

Then use the Behemoth mob that was fighting some other mob to refill gauge for summon. There was 0 point in bothering to cast death on an adamantoise

Or, just start the fight with Vanille, summon to knock it down, apply all debuffs + break to increase Death chance, and then pray that it actually works.

Otherwise, Adamantoise just one-shots lower level parties, so if you can't Death him before he gets up, just retry the fight.

You don't need Death once you can legit fight him, but the alternative to fighting him forreal was to grind CP. Which i wasn't a fan of.

I still need to play it, but I find the reactions to FFXV very interesting

It's one of those rare cases where I actually have no idea how much I'll enjoy it, having played FF12 (personal favourite), 13 (couldn't really get into it), 10, 3, 5 & 6.

Looks like it'll mainly come down to how much I like the main characters & world itself

Or, just start the fight with Vanille, summon to knock it down, apply all debuffs + break to increase Death chance, and then pray that it actually works.

Otherwise, Adamantoise just one-shots lower level parties, so if you can't Death him before he gets up, just retry the fight.

You don't need Death once you can legit fight him, but the alternative to fighting him forreal was to grind CP. Which i wasn't a fan of.
thats dumb though. Why do something you pray works when you can just use the Sazh method. Its also a low level strat

SGRX

I finished the game, almost out of spite by the end, and feel like I spent my entire time playing trying to find a reason to like it, or a perspective from which to appreciate it. Ultimately, I just found everything about it mediocre at best, from the characters, to the battle system, to the story.

royox

It's not though. The biggest issue is how it turns in the ending chapters but even than it's still a very good game.

Nope. First chapters still have major issues like limitless hours of pointless MMO-tier Fetch questing, the same Gas Station repeated all over the world, a big lifeless and empty world, a FAKE open world filled by invisible walls for no purpose (EVEN ON THE SKY), pacing problems, plot consistency problems ("My father died...BUT THIS CAT IS HUNGRY!! >.<"), camera problems during battles (try fighting near a forest or near bushes...TRY IT).

Indeed, there is an "adventure with the bros", but all that happyness and jokes and fooling around should end at the same moment they read about Insomnia's falling on the news. It was unreal that Noctis was crying about his father and country and 5 minutes later he was laughting, making jokes and taking pics with the bros like nothing happent...like...FOR REAL?

Game totally feels like a rushed unfinished puzzle with the pieces joined as fast as they could. Yes, some pieces of that puzzle were even enjoyable but when you look at the whole thing it's just a senseless mess.

Geg

I mean....you just said it takes you 30 minutes to kill him, and there's youtube videos of people beating it in 6 or 7 minutes (pre level cap raise).....so obviously there is strategy going on.

But i agree the fight has some problems, targeting/hit box is weird because its such a giant enemy. The best fights in the game are in the final dungeon where they take items away. Forcing you to play the game correctly instead of just spamming healing items.

The item problem is weird because I'm assuming based on my playthrough that the game's difficulty is balanced more towards a player who just mainlines the story without doing many quests or hunts? Because by the end of the game I had 99 Hi-Elixers because the game just threw them at me for completing quests and doing optional dungeons. I had like zero fear of dying through most of the game unless I was fighting something 20 levels higher than me. I wish they could have adjust the item/healing system somewhat

AzureFlame

the time to take it down didn't really matter that much to me, i mean why the admantoise isn't fighting back.. in XIII you had to be careful, healing and guarding needed a good timing, buffing and debuffing then use an ultimate at the right time , you felt like you are in danger and focused.

LordKasual

Banned

This.

If anyone wants to experience an FFXV that actually takes skill, do a no-item run, or just get to Costlemark Menace and get your ass kicked.

You'll be surprised by how much you need all the other mechanics and equipment in the game when you can't just Item > Potion everytime someone hits Danger status.

I'd say just do a Level 1 run, but i recently completed it, and the only real difficult part of that run was keeping enough Gil....to buy recovery items.

ryseing

Really enjoyed the first half road trip with the bros. Gave up after the horrendous mess that was Altissia, and knowing that it only got worse from there.

I never really had a problem myself with the world in XV.

I actually quite liked the mix of fantastical creatures next to roads and gas stations. The urban fantasy trend is one that seems to have caught on everywhere but in gaming.

Banned
I have no idea. It has moments of greatness (chapter 9 boss and final boss) but the combat gets tiring fast and there's plenty of missing plot points you'd miss if you didn't watch the anime and movie.

They say it's a final Fantasy for old and new but old fans had a mixed reception of it and new fans most likely said "people say Final Fantasy is so great but this game is thoroughly mediocre" .

Going open world was a mistake. The game lacked focus. The driving and tedious sidequests seemed like square took all the wrong cues from western RPGs.

It was likely catered to Western FF fans to grow the franchise outside of Japan but it was neither a good JRPG or WRPG.

Development hell certainly didn't help.

Here's hoping for a fresh start on Unreal 4 for FFXVI.

LordKasual

Banned
the time to take it down didn't really matter that much to me, i mean why the admantoise isn't fighting back.. in XIII you had to be careful, healing and guarding needed a good timing, buffing and debuffing then use an ultimate at the right time , you felt like you are in danger and focused.

The Adamantoise literally has 3 attacks in Final Fantasy XIII, wth are you talking about?

You have Stomp, Quake, and Ultima. It's a glorified damage sponge with a soft-enrage

like everything else in the game, the only difficult part was balancing healing with not letting the stupid Break meter decay too much.

FFXV's adamantoise is really just a spectacle fight that serves the purpose of getting you an item that provides 9999 HP. There are plenty of other massive enemies that absolutely fight back.

Firenze1

Banned
This.

Zakkath

They tried to be too many things to too many people. Square needs to focus on the series pillars and go back to its roots. The combat system was bad, the story sucked and the side-quests were all quite boring.

I hope the next FF is not action based. I don't think it suits this franchise very well. I want Square to go back to turn-based. Maybe even expand on FF12 combat system and improve it.

FF15 had some good moments, but the overall product is quite messy.

Geg

I actually quite liked the mix of fantastical creatures next to roads and gas stations. The urban fantasy trend is one that seems to have caught on everywhere but in gaming.

Yeah I really liked the feel of FFXV's world, but every FF game's setting and atmosphere is different so it's largely a matter of preference. I wasn't a huge fan of FFXIII's super clean/shiny sci-fi aesthetic for example, though I did appreciate how good and polished the graphics were (and for the most part still are even by today's standards)

Firenze1

Banned
The Adamantoise literally has 3 attacks in Final Fantasy XIII, wth are you talking about?

You have Stomp, Quake, and Ultima. It's a glorified damage sponge with a soft-enrage

like everything else in the game, the only difficult part was balancing healing with not letting the stupid Break meter decay too much.
Atleast battling the toise in ff13 had a purpose as you could get some good stuff. The drop from the toise in ff15 isnt worth it.

AzureFlame

those 3 attacks were more than enough to creat a fun battle strategy, also they were kinda random and very deadly esspecialy ultima, you had to think when to heal when to buff/debuff and attack.

i mean when you compare all that to XV, oh man there is a huge difference.

LordKasual

Banned
Atleast battling the toise in ff13 had a purpose as you could get some good stuff. The drop from the toise in ff15 isnt worth it.

It was for me? None of my characters had 9999 HP since i didn't prioritize that on the ascension grid.

The free HP pool + defense from Royal Arms was invaluable to me in Costlemark Menace, since the only way to recover from Danger was either Ignis or one of the bros coming to help you.

i dont know what you mean with brutal as its a piss easy game where you need zero strategy (yet the combat generally sucks due to the stiffy controls and the awful camera) but if you are saying that its brutal because it is really dissapointing for long time fans then yes i agree.. its devastating. in particular everything after chapter 9.

The only enjoyable fight in the entire game is the optional one you can select on the DLC.

There is no story worth talking about.

So you're not wrong or alone in what you're feeling.

Top Bottom