• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

mrndkra

ever since the latest update im getting the most annoying message popping up everytime i power on the tv

it says do i want to configure the 'samba interactive tv service'
i dont because i dont use the set as a television, only for consoles.

how do i deactivate it? (because setup now and then skip doesnt do it)

I kept saying no and eventually it went away and stopped asking. But yeah for the two weeks or so that it kept popping up it was really annoying.

ever since the latest update im getting the most annoying message popping up everytime i power on the tv

Yeah getting the same thing ever since the update the other night.

Hope it goes away by itself soon.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I accidentally said yes. As far as I can tell, nothing happened afterwards.

I'm really struggling to pick a set (UK). i need 65", ideally a Sony but only because they're Android TVs and I would like to have Kodi directly on the TV.

Budget around £1500. This need not be this difficult!

ordrin

ok, i figured out how to get rid of the samba interactive tv crap

i went to the tv settings (home button, then go to settings) menu and scrolled all the way down, past network settings, to where it says 'samba interactive tv'

i then chose the option to 'decline and disable'

its gone now. thank god.

Toe-Knee

I'm really struggling to pick a set (UK). i need 65", ideally a Sony but only because they're Android TVs and I would like to have Kodi directly on the TV.

Budget around £1500. This need not be this difficult!

Phillips tvs are android based I think everything from the 6401 series up has HDR

The 49PUS6401 actually has better hdr than my Sony kd49xd8305

Anyone buy hardware to calibrate this set? If so, what did you buy and how close were your settings to RTINGS settings?

x800d-config-7-small.jpg

x800d-config-17-small.jpg

Anyone buy hardware to calibrate this set? If so, what did you buy and how close were your settings to RTINGS settings?

Yes- I've had an iD3 for a few years that I use to calibrate all my monitors/TVs.

Rtings settings for brightness/contrast were pretty close. As is always the case, grayscale will vary from unit to unit, and both grayscale and gamma will drift over time as the panel ages. Any grayscale settings you get for one unit will be useless on another. You need a meter and software to be able to achieve a flat grayscale and accurate gamma on any display.

As for gamut- there's really nothing to be done, as the TV doesn't have a CMS. Gamut was pretty good for both 709 and 2020 OTB, though. Not really a deal breaker at this price point.

Yes- I've had an iD3 for a few years that I use to calibrate all my monitors/TVs.

Rtings settings for brightness/contrast were pretty close. As is always the case, grayscale will vary from unit to unit, and both grayscale and gamma will drift over time as the panel ages. Any grayscale settings you get for one unit will be useless on another. You need a meter and software to be able to achieve a flat grayscale and accurate gamma on any display.

As for gamut- there's really nothing to be done, as the TV doesn't have a CMS. Gamut was pretty good for both 709 and 2020 OTB, though. Not really a deal breaker at this price point.

Thanks for the reply! I think I will just stick to OTB settings as they don't look wrong or anything.

III-V

I would tell you the same. I also have an i1DP3. My grayscale did not match Rtings, which is why I never post those details.

Caveman

Neo Member
Still can't decide what TV to get in the UK. Anyone got any ideas for £600-£700? I keep seeing the KD43XD8088BU for £650 and I'm just not sure.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
this is why i'm confused, there's two on the site, the other one seems inferior to this one as there's no HDR support

My general understanding:

- X800D = XD8088 in the UK
- X850D = XD8005 in the UK

With the second one, you're getting a bigger screen, different design, and probably some others perks for the extra £120 you're spending. It's the one I have and I love it, although I couldn't tell you in detail what the differences are.

I think it's the first one (or the X800D/X8088) that the thread is based on.

Mindwipe

Yeah, one is 2016 and one is 2017.

The 2017 model runs it's OS a bit better for what it's worth, as the processor is faster and it has more ram.

JoeNut

With the second one, you're getting a bigger screen, different design, and probably some others perks for the extra £120 you're spending. It's the one I have and I love it, although I couldn't tell you in detail what the differences are.

Yeah, one is 2016 and one is 2017.

The 2017 model runs it's OS a bit better for what it's worth, as the processor is faster and it has more ram.

this is really helpful. i'll go for the second one then. My wallet doesn't thank you

EDIT: found this as john lewis as richer sounds are OOS - £750 seems reasonable to be fair

Marmelade

Both the UK XD8088/XD8005 (and any XD80**) are variants of the same base model (= US X800D)
The 55inch (which doesn't exist in the US?) does have a different stand
X850D = XD8505/8577/8599

Heads up to UKGAF. If you order the 49XD80 (2016) from argos you stand a large chance of getting the 49XE80 (2017) telly. Me and my mate have both done it with the same result.

How the hell do you set this up for 1080p gaming? I have loads of resolution options etc but the frame rates in all games plummet - assuming something to do with 24p?

Can anyone tell me how they have it setup with a PC?

Vuze

How the hell do you set this up for 1080p gaming? I have loads of resolution options etc but the frame rates in all games plummet - assuming something to do with 24p?

Can anyone tell me how they have it setup with a PC?
You should be good just setting it to 60hz in your gpu driver control panel or Windows display settings. I haven't had any framerate issues whatsoever, be it at 1080p, 1440p or 4K.

Stevey

Picked a 55" UK version of this yesterday. Really pleased with it.
When it sits on the stand it tilts back a few degrees, is this normal?

derFeef

How is the OS experience with this? I don't have good experience with Smart TV's so far, but if Android runs well it might push me over to this TV.

Just press display on the remote it happens sometimes don't know why though. It got stuck for me a a couple of times even with a source.

Has anyone else had the problem with the info bar showing all the time when on the Windows desktop? Seems fine when playing games (full screen) but I cannot get it to disappear even after pressing the display button on the remote numerous times.

You should be good just setting it to 60hz in your gpu driver control panel or Windows display settings. I haven't had any framerate issues whatsoever, be it at 1080p, 1440p or 4K.

Thanks mate - this sorted it - change to 60hz in driver control panel.

Does the TV support any higher resolutions at 60hz? I don't have a great PC but would love to try upscalling some older games maybe?

ty_hot

this thread seems to be the one more related to what I need, as I dont think it deserve its own thread:

My parents have a 4K TV, but it is a simple one (no HDR, quite shitty apps and limited to 4k@30)... it does have support for that codec for 4k streaming (HEVC if I am not mistaken) which is used in Youtube or in Netflix (one of those at least), but the apps were never updated so it is stuck at 1080p. I was wondering if there is any device that could be used to stream netflix at 4k.

I believe the PS4Pro and the Xone S wont accept 4k resolution because it cant do 60fps (even though for movies it wouldnt be needed, right?). I checked and it seems that Chromecast USED TO SUPPORT 4k@30, but after an update it just stopped. working. Does anyone know any device that could do it?

We are not buying a computer just for that (needs to be 7th gen intel for 4k), as it would cost as much as buying another 4k tv.

Cabal

this thread seems to be the one more related to what I need, as I dont think it deserve its own thread:

My parents have a 4K TV, but it is a simple one (no HDR, quite shitty apps and limited to 4k@30)... it does have support for that codec for 4k streaming (HEVC if I am not mistaken) which is used in Youtube or in Netflix (one of those at least), but the apps were never updated so it is stuck at 1080p. I was wondering if there is any device that could be used to stream netflix at 4k.

I believe the PS4Pro and the Xone S wont accept 4k resolution because it cant do 60fps (even though for movies it wouldnt be needed, right?). I checked and it seems that Chromecast USED TO SUPPORT 4k@30, but after an update it just stopped. working. Does anyone know any device that could do it?

We are not buying a computer just for that (needs to be 7th gen intel for 4k), as it would cost as much as buying another 4k tv.

Wouldn't a Roku Premiere do this?

Topper

Picked up 43" version at best buy open box. Grabbed horizon to try out as my first 4k game, holy hell this game is stunning, I'm glad I held off until I got a 4k tv to play it.

So, is this TV not good or what? Reading mixed things here.

I think it depends. The 43" model is about as good as you can do at that size. You're not going to find premium sets at that size range, period. I'd say if you need a TV in the ~40" range, it's a great option.

The 49" is not as good of a deal, IMO- mainly because of the move from the 43"'s VA panel to an IPS one. Once you get into that size range, you're within a few hundred bucks of being able to take a pretty noticeable step up in picture quality by going to a set that has local dimming, higher peak brightness, and a VA panel as opposed to IPS. Just my two pennies.

Top Bottom