• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tarantino on Weinstein: "I knew enough to do more than I did."

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/quentin-tarantino-speaks-harvey-weinstein-1202594644/

In an interview with the New York Times, Quentin Tarantino has opened up about his knowledge surrounding the sexual harassment and abuse allegations that have come out against his close collaborator Harvey Weinstein.

“I knew enough to do more than I did,” he said, citing several episodes involving prominent actresses. “There was more to it than just the normal rumors, the normal gossip. It wasn’t secondhand. I knew he did a couple of these things.”

“I wish I had taken responsibility for what I heard,” he added. “If I had done the work I should have done then, I would have had to not work with him.”

Tarantino admitted in the interview that he had known about the allegations long before the explosive New York Times and New Yorker reports that catalyzed the producer’s fall from grace. Tarantino’s former girlfriend, Mira Sorvino, who has since gone public with her own allegations against Weinstein, told Tarantino of the harassment at the time that it allegedly occurred, he said. The director said he had also heard from another actress with a similar story, and knew that Weinstein had settled with Rose McGowan.

The “Inglourious Basterds” director said that although he was aware of those instances, he didn’t put them together into an overall pattern of behavior by Weinstein, and continued to make films with him — which Tarantino said he now regrets.

“What I did was marginalize the incidents,” he recalled. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”

shaneo632

I appreciate him being a lot more frank about this than most, especially when it comes to his own shortcomings. Shame he didn't do anything at the time, though.

Busty

Banned
"I really regret...., that Weinstein got caught and now i'm going to have to wade into the studio system to get my next film made."

Tarantino was not heard to comment but probably thought to himself.

If I was Amazon I'd offer Tarantino a blank cheque for his next project knowing full well that, unlike Netflix, we'd offer him full theatrical distribution.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
"I really regret...., that Weinstein got caught and now i'm going to have to wade into the studio system to get my next film made."

Tarantino was not heard to comment.

If I was Amazon I'd offer Tarantino a blank cheque for his next project knowing full well that, unlike Netflix, we'd offer him full theatrical distribution.
That would probably be a PR nightmare for Amazon considering everything that happened in the last week.

Shoeless

This actually a mature response. While he is guilty, he seems like he will actually reform.

Admitting it is actually a pretty fundamental step. It seems like now even an admission of error is asking too much of many Americans in the 21st century.

DKZjFObU8AAM2q7.jpg

Fisty

Sounds like the response Ben should have given. Props to Tarantino, hopefully him and others with his clout learn from this awful mess

Scuffed

It is one thing to not expose Weinstein, it is a completely other thing to lavish praise on him and pall around with him all while knowing what he did. Every single person in Hollywood knew about Weinstein and the ones that say they didn't are full of shit imo but I can forgive them if they didn't associate with him or compliment him in the press for anything at all but if you did either of those things then you are dirt.

Hero

Yeah, not surprisingly, unfortunately. I give him some respect for not trying to make excuses or deny that he knew, I guess?

"I should have done more"
-Joe Paterno

I want to see everyone involved suffering the same type of penalties.

Earned some Academy Awards? Revoked.

Ridley327

I will definitely give him credit for coming clean on his enabling of Harvey, even if it doesn't excuse him of being complacent in the first place with the knowledge he did have. Hard not to have very mixed feelings about this, really.

Undeniably terrible on his part. He has power and weight in Hollywood and while he couldn't have stopped Weinstein on his own, he could have withstood any backlash that would have come from him doing the right thing.

One of the few being honest that they knew. Part of that is forced because of the timeline with Sorvino and it being obvious that Tarantino likely knew specifics, but at least he's being honest when other Weinstein associates are tripping over themselves to claim they knew nothing or are surprised.

Mael

“What I did was marginalize the incidents,” he recalled. “Anything I say now will sound like a crappy excuse.”

this is probably the best response I've ever read about someone implicated.
No deflection, no wishy washy "but I couldn't do anything", no crappy excuses.
I'm as far from saying this is enough as I am from the Moon but it's the absolute minimal unlike shitty Ben Affleck trying to save his skin.

Again, though, what could he really have done? Stop getting his movies made there I suppose, but he definitely can't come out and start laying accusations down without proof, and most importantly of all he can't out an actress against her wishes because that's a whole other can of worms.

jett

D-Member
“Everyone who was close to Harvey had heard of at least one of those incidents” chronicled in the first few articles, he said. “It was impossible they didn’t.”

A few people, i.e. Kevin Smith, put on blast a bit.

That sounds like a truthful and genuine admission of guilt, which is a rarity.

Really doesn't do anything to make it better though (not that he is saying it does). Very disappointing, even though this seemed inevitable.

Again, though, what could he really have done? Stop getting his movies made there I suppose, but he definitely can't come out and start laying accusations down without proof, and most importantly of all he can't out an actress against her wishes because that's a whole other can of worms.

Stop putting people in harm's way by continuing to work with him, at the very least.

I'm not going to praise him for realising he should have done something now it's too late, but I'm not going to slay him for it either.

If he can have a moment of self-reflection and make up for his poor life choices, maybe do something similar to what Kevin Smith did, then maybe he can start to make amends.

this is probably the best response I've ever read about someone implicated.
No deflection, no wishy washy "but I couldn't do anything", no crappy excuses.
I'm as far from saying this is enough as I am from the Moon but it's the absolute minimal unlike shitty Ben Affleck trying to save his skin.

He's probably been following the news the last week and knew he couldn't get away from that shit

stephen08

Really disappointed in Tarantino. Dude is my favourite director. It’s going to be in my mind any time I watch one of his movies now.

Zubz

Banned
After reading Cross' bullshit excuse earlier where he acted like the victim for past racist statements, I'm happy to see Tarantino acknowledge his failure to act. It doesn't justify said failure, but at least he's owning up to his actions & identifying them as wrong.

As many have said here, though, just because this is better than what we've been seeing doesn't mean the issue's resolved. He would probably have never spoken up if Weinstein was never exposed. But he's not doubling down, feigning innocence, or staying silent. He could potentially grow from here.... or he could be trying to save his brand.

EDIT: Forgot to acknowledge his own partner being a victim. There's no way around that being shitty, which is why I have my doubts.

Tarantino continues to be a piece of shit human being.

His entire reason for staying quiet boils down to wanting to be rich and famous, no matter how many people Weinstein hurt.

Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being sincere and didn't realise the extent to Weinstein's abuse but my instinct says he probably knew full well what he got up to and knows he can't really publicly deny it when it seems many in Hollywood had heard about him. Always got the feeling something was off about Tarantino, his whole demeanour is creepy not to mention strangling actresses on set.

Really disappointed in Tarantino. Dude is my favourite director. It’s going to be in my mind any time I watch one of his movies now.

Tbf sounds like every American movie made during the years Weinstein's veen working will give you the same problem. Everyone knew. Everyone was complicit.

Meowster

Much better than the “I’m so shocked, I had no idea” lying responses I’ve heard from several AAA names in the industry. Still sucks.

Fisty

Tarantino continues to be a piece of shit human being.

His entire reason for staying quiet boils down to wanting to be rich and famous, no matter how many people Weinstein hurt.

That was everybody's excuse, but at least he wasn't "shocked by these troubling accusations" or some other bullshit

Sygma

Yeah that totally excuses the fact that you knew and sticked to your guns by fear of highjacking your cinema dreams, QT

Disappointing and disgusting, like everyone / everything else involved in this

Top Bottom