• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

Love me some swamp thing, but there are other DC characters that could use books instead, firestorm for example.

According to Conway DC offered him a Firerstorm miniseries to reintroduce the character and test how the character sells, but they went back on their word and "slapped it in a psuedo-anthology, overpriced and misleadingly named, basically a write-off of the character and the series".

shingi70

Banned
According to Conway DC offered him a Firerstorm miniseries to reintroduce the character and test how the character sells, but they went back on their word and "slapped it in a psuedo-anthology, overpriced and misleadingly named, basically a write-off of the character and the series".

I read that it was good, DC had announced like five ongoings and after DCYou flop they just threw them all together into the legends of tomorrow anthology,

Owzers

The NBA playoffs are demonstrating why I didn't watch most of the season.

Debating Casanova and shutter digital. I have the first trade of shutter and two of nova, and while I would like the ohc novas and more paperbacks on shutter, those prices...17.50 ohc vs $3 digital.

TheFlow

Banned
I'd go farther. It was the first great issue of King's run. Simple story, great pace, and a fresh take on Swamp Thing.
First great issue? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And I don't even like King writing batman

Also if you are gonna post a hot take then yea expect gifs and eye rolls. This is not exclusive to comic-gaf

Love me some swamp thing, but there are other DC characters that could use books instead, firestorm for example.

I know very little of Firestorm. Is he legitimately popular? My exposure is from CW Flash and I can't stand the character. Might be legitimately good in the Legends show I don't watch.

Swamp Thing is high up my list.

First great issue? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And I don't even like King writing batman

Also if you are gonna post a hot take then yea expect gifs and eye rolls. This is not exclusive to comic-gaf

It's silly to debate since you aren't introducing anything here. Nahhhhh isn't a counterargument. You're also reducing the concept of "hot takes" to mean "opinions I disagree with."

I've expressed my view on King's Batman, and it's shared by many people around the internet. Feel free to disagree.

So numerous hot takes

This is the Michael Jordan of unintentionally ironic posts.

TheFlow

Banned
I'd go farther. It was the first great issue of King's run. Simple story, great pace, and a fresh take on Swamp Thing.

hot take-
a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.

Nahhhhhh I think I nailed what a hot take is.

also who are these many people? I would like to know who else is writing hyperbolic trash.

edit:

Fanboys gonna fanboy. I've learned not to post detailed criticisms of reviews, because they're usually meet with dismissive gifs. It's easier for me just to ignore and move on.

You jest (somewhat) but you're absolutely correct. He hasn't landed Batman's "voice" once in the run. Swamp Thing was perfect in this issue.
who are the fanboys here.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm at the point where I am trying to parse Batman #23 on a metafictional sense,
Lloyd McGinn looks like an Alan Moore analogue, but I wasn't really convinced it was more than Gerads and King being cute until someone mentioned he was killed on the 84th floor, which references the year Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 came out.

And I'm not sure what the story becomes once read through that lens.
The fact that he was killed because it looked like he knew all the secrets of life, and that maps to his deconstructive superhero work, starting with Swamp Thing and culminating with Watchmen, but then what does killing him represent?

The ending,
about Swamp Thing bailing out after killing Headhunter while Batman begs him to tell him that his parents live on, has, I think, fairly obvious overtones, but the whole A to B to C part I'm still super unsure of, and it kinda ignores the shaky history of Watchmen's ownership
, so it's frustrating, but in a way I can at least consider and maybe make go away.

hot take-
a piece of commentary, typically produced quickly in response to a recent event, whose primary purpose is to attract attention.

Nahhhhhh I think I nailed what a hot take is.

also who are these many people? I would like to know who else is writing hyperbolic trash.

Keep trying. Sean Spicer's job might be opening up soon.

It's Friday night (almost Saturday). I'm discussing my opinion about a comic that came out on Wednesday. In response to another poster who said it was better than what came before. I agreed.

TheFlow

Banned
It's Friday night (almost Saturday). I'm discussing my opinion about a comic that came out on Wednesday. In response to another poster who said it was better than what came before. I agreed.

Keep trying. Sean Spicer's job might be opening up soon.
Two days ago...lol how is that not recent?

recent:
having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present.

legit gotta give definitions for grown man who hasn't learned vocab. lol..

Two days ago...lol how is that not recent?

So any discussion of anything recent is a hot take? Everything is a hot take. Nothing is a hot take.

I'm perfectly fine with your disagreeing. That's how adults discuss things.

I'm not fine with you calling my opinion hyperbolic trash. I'll report you if you do so again.

TheFlow

Banned
So any discussion of anything recent is a hot take? Everything is a hot take. Nothing is a hot take.

I'm perfectly fine with your disagreeing. That's how adults discuss things.

I'm not fine with you calling my opinion hyperbolic trash. I'll report you if you do so again.

again with the hyperbolic trash.

and please continue to cry about me calling you out on bs <3.

I think you guys just like saying hot take. Flow is the biggest offender, though.
no lies detected.

Duress

Got a huge amount of random trades at Motor City Comic Con.

A lot of Avengers and X-men in the lots.

Solo books not so much

I think you guys just like saying hot take. Flow is the biggest offender, though.

I actually don't even like that phrase. It becomes meaningless when it gets tossed at any opinion that you disagree with. It's better than calling my opinion "hyperbolic trash."

Whatever. I notified the mods. Life goes on.

TheFlow

Banned
I actually don't even like that phrase. It becomes meaningless when it gets tossed at any opinion that you disagree with. It's better than calling my opinion "hyperbolic trash."

Whatever. I notified the mods. Life goes on.
you can not find one time I have used the word "hot take" in comic-gaf besides today.
giphy.gif

Owzers

Remember that time when the flow was banned and we could all talk about Valiant books in peace? Get your Ninjohn books ready folks.

VanWinkle

Seeing this from the facebook omnibus collectors group makes me want to get more into Valiant.

xJQogs.jpg

That 30% IST discount just doesn't cut it, though, unfortunately. Not to mention some are OOP and the Valiant president has said they aren't going to reprint any of them.

I'm at the point where I am trying to parse Batman #23 on a metafictional sense,
Lloyd McGinn looks like an Alan Moore analogue, but I wasn't really convinced it was more than Gerads and King being cute until someone mentioned he was killed on the 84th floor, which references the year Saga of the Swamp Thing #21 came out.

And I'm not sure what the story becomes once read through that lens.
The fact that he was killed because it looked like he knew all the secrets of life, and that maps to his deconstructive superhero work, starting with Swamp Thing and culminating with Watchmen, but then what does killing him represent?

The ending,
about Swamp Thing bailing out after killing Headhunter while Batman begs him to tell him that his parents live on, has, I think, fairly obvious overtones, but the whole A to B to C part I'm still super unsure of, and it kinda ignores the shaky history of Watchmen's ownership
, so it's frustrating, but in a way I can at least consider and maybe make go away.

I understood some of these words!

That ending was an emotional gut punch with Batman begging for reassurance. I also feel it would have been even more devastated had we not already seen the "encounter" with Thomas during the Button. I realize it was a different writer, but that encounter was my favorite Batman moment in Rebirth. Thomas pleading with Bruce to let it go and not be Batman...sublime. We've seen similar scenes before, but that got me.

shingi70

Banned
I know very little of Firestorm. Is he legitimately popular? My exposure is from CW Flash and I can't stand the character. Might be legitimately good in the Legends show I don't watch.

Firestorm is a top tier D.C. Character and has his own solo books that have been pretty long running, and he was a main member of the league during the Sattlite era.

He's currently on Legends, Injustice 2, and has been in a ton of cartoons.

Don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm bias, but Firrstorm is a top five character.

Generation X was poop

Luke Cage #1 was cool. I liked the character in Netflix Jessica Jones and I like him here. I'll give this an arc and see.

Bug #1 was awesome! Hop on this train, y'all!

Firestorm is a top tier D.C. Character and has his own solo books that have been pretty long running, and he was a main member of the league during the Sattlite era.

He's currently on Legends, Injustice 2, and has been in a ton of cartoons.

Don't let my avatar fool you into thinking I'm bias, but Firrstorm is a top five character.

I believe you. I'm not up to speed on him and didn't care for the CW version.

In fairness, I'm not knowledgeable about modern Swamp Thing either. I'm just in the middle of the Alan Moore run and got fired up when I saw him in Batman.

TheFlow

Banned
Generation X was poop

Luke Cage #1 was cool. I liked the character in Netflix Jessica Jones and I like him here. I'll give this an arc and see.

Bug #1 was awesome! Hop on this train, y'all!

Pretty much my thoughts.

Amilcar Pinna is on the art for Generation X at least till #3..sigh. His art isn't bad, but very underwhelming. Especially when the cover art is better.

In fairness, I'm not knowledgeable about modern Swamp Thing either. I'm just in the middle of the Alan Moore run and got fired up when I saw him in Batman.

Did you see the Superman annual with Swamp Thing? Loved it. Easily my fav issue of this Superman run.

More Swampy is my list.

Sandfox

I like the cover, but what is this Generations thing about?

Once upon a time, a kid from New York City picked up a shield and charged into battle…A prodigal son lifted a sacred hammer and proved himself worthy…And an arrogant genius forged an armor that would harness his true potential. Together, they became some of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes and ushered in the age of marvels! This August, prepare for Marvel’s GENERATIONS, but…what is the startling secret that ties them all together?

GENERATIONS brings together Miles Morales and Peter Parker, Laura Kinney and Logan, Amadeus Cho and Bruce Banner, plus more, and illuminates the path that all these heroes will take into the future for a thrilling quest unlike anything seen in the Marvel Universe before.

A colossal collaboration of today’s greatest creators, Marvel’s GENERATIONS continues the evolution of the Marvel Universe as the new class of heroes stand shoulder to shoulder with those who have trail blazed their legacy.

Running August to September, this 10-issue series put to the test in this universe-wide team-up that will shed light on the most pressing questions about the future of the Marvel Universe, and the fate of everyone’s favorite heroes.

Basically it's 10 one-shots that are going to have legacies teaming up with their predecessors before Legacy to set things up.

What did I come back to? Been in a Destiny 2 bubble and I return to infighting.

It's been taken care of it seems, but y'all can talk to one another in a nice way. We're all folks who love comics. Play nice.

VanWinkle

What did I come back to? Been in a Destiny 2 bubble and I return to infighting.

It's been taken care of it seem, but y'all can talk to one another in a nice way. We're all folks who love comics. Play nice.

It's a classic Flow/Tragicomedy feud. Been going on for a long time, occasionally bubbling over the surface.

Sandfox

And apparently they team up with themselves in some cases. Jesus. Come on Marvel, this is too silly.

I really wonder what they are going to do in that one given what's going on in Jean's ongoing. Given that Bunn is writing it will probably bring something over to X-Men Blue(assuming the book is still called that when Legacy hits).

It's a classic Flow/Tragicomedy feud. Been going on for a long time, occasionally bubbling over the surface.

Tough to call it a feud. I'm not even talking to him and he starts calling me out. I tried de-escalating multiple times. That's never successful.

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom