• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Tweaking the PlayStation Move Motion Controller, Too

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/10/sonys_tweaking_the_playstation_move_motion_controller_too

After so many years since theit release with the PS3, they decided to adjust the controllers.

In addition to tweaking the PlayStation VR headset, Sony's also announced a host of revisions for the PlayStation Move motion controllers. While this information comes courtesy of the Japanese PlayStation Blog, it looks like the main tweaks include a transition to Micro USB for charging (the same connection as the DualShock 4 uses) and an increase in battery size.

The original PlayStation Move wands leveraged a 1380 mAh battery while the specifications for the new unit mention a 1900 mAh battery. Considering that the motion controllers already run for a good 10 hours on a single charge, this suggests that the revised units may last even longer, which is obviously not to be sniffed at in this era of battery woes.
Subscribe to Push Square on

We assume these will make their way West eventually, perhaps quietly replacing stock of the old model. Visually, the motion controllers look exactly the same – though it does look like the platform holder has tried to de-emphasise the Move and Sony logos by colouring them black as opposed to grey.

Sony is already tweaking the PS4 Pro model too.

I can't understand why Sony is doing such sudden global changes.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/10/sonys_tweaking_the_playstation_move_motion_controller_too

After so many years since theit release with the PS3, they decided to adjust the controllers.

Sony is already tweaking the PS4 Pro model too.

I can't understand why Sony is doing such sudden global changes.

Well regarding this, previously probably just pumping out old warehouse stock and now they need to make more thought might as well only be one generation standard behind with Micro USB instead of USB C

They are changing the PSVR, the PlayStation Move Motion Controller, even the PS4 Pro and now even their CEO. All of those are happening just at once.

Can you imagine the Sony board discussing delaying the announcement of their CEO leaving because of a slightly better battery.

goonergaz

I called this years ago when when they announced Move would work with PSVR - makes perfect sense now stock is out/low to change the USB inline with DS4

All of this is to make stuff cheaper to make and add some minor quality of life stuff, really sensible without really screwing current owners. Shame about Andrew House really liked him but sound like may have been his choice and may have been planned for a while.

dracula_x

They are changing the PSVR, the PlayStation Move Motion Controller, even the PS4 Pro and now even their CEO. All of those are happening just at once.

LBxfzlF.gif

klaushm

Maybe they realized that the competition is doing a better work with their motion controllers, listened the users feedback, and thought "Maybe it is time to improve the move controller".

PS4 model change probably is something related to heat, noise or something even smaller than that. Nothing that makes a performance boost or something similar. That's what they told.

It looks like it is indeed related to the new PSVR iteration. Which makes a lot of sense.

Edit:
From the PS4 Sky topic
Normally this kind of change is made during the process of reducing the production costs of a console, with new parts that are cheaper to manufacture being swapped in to improve the margin per unit sale. It’s an entirely expected procedure that is often done several times during the life cycle of a game machine.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1442054

Minor quality of life improvements are great and all, but no motion tracking improvements or additional inputs mean this is pretty much useless for current Move owners desperate for proper VR controllers.

I'm disappointed, but still holding onto the hope that something else is coming.

emb

Bigger battery, nice. I probably won't pick up an extra set, but battery is my biggest gripe with the ones I have. Not that the current ones don't last long enough, but charging them is a nuisance since they use a different cable than regular PS4 controllers. So the longer between charges the better.

paulogy

According to this the new Moves will have "updated performance" and curiously only work with PS4? That sounds like more than a battery update to me.
https://www.dualshockers.com/new-playstation-vr-model-cuh-zvr2-images/

On top of the new PlayStation VR, a new PlayStation Move controller will also be released at a later date, bearing the model number CECH-ZCM2. The new controller will have updated performance and will be compatible exclusively with PlayStation 4. The biggest change is that it won't have the updated Mini-USB connection anymore, but it will conform to the PS4 standard by using a Micro-USB USB connection. The price for the newPlayStation Move model will also remain unchanged.

If nothing else, this shows that PlayStation is willing to invest in PSVR + Move if they're making new (modestly) redesigned units of them.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Business

They probably ran out of stock and the old battery spec wasn’t even available off the shelf for the new units.

Josman

They should totally redesign their Move controllers, they suck with no Analog, weird button placement and wonky tracking

Duxxy3

Now just tweak the DS4 into something more usable for racing and shooting games. That would be terrific.

Wasnt the new time crisis poorly received?

Yeah, I'd rather have a remake of Time Crisis 1 or 2. They are ripe for it.

Wonder why New Move isn't compatible with PS3. Its the same thing with a bigger battery and new micro USB type. Maybe they are designed around USB 3 for faster charging?

New move?

Re release the pistol grip and fund Point Blank remake in VR, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis, House of the Dead series for us.

Please!!!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Now just tweak the DS4 into something more usable for racing and shooting games. That would be terrific.

I find it great for both genres, I do not get why asymmetric sticks would be better for shooters and what the problem with the DS4 is. It is their best DS iteration to date, although it was nice to hold such a light controller as the SixAxis one, which has been created with direct input from developers such as Bungie and Evolution Studios.

Darko

They need a navigational controller, the aim controller was a step in the right direction. Now we need something for non shooters.

Top Bottom