• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V *NEXT GEN* Impressions from the GameStop managers conference

Hip Hop

And this is how next gen remakes should be done. A complete overhaul. This is easily worth $60 to me. Almost a different game.

In a word, yes. I'm glad that I saw this coming a mile year away.

Yup. I held off on getting the Xbox 360 version because I had a strong feeling that we would bet getting next gen ports a year down the road.

This port sounds amazing.

hepburn3d

I was telling myself to wait till it dropped in price as I've already finished this on PS3. Now I can't it has to be day 1 on PC

dreamfall

This is going to be soooo good!

New texture work, new radio songs, more animals...

I JUST CAN'T...

We need a new trailer with a date!

Trickster

I'd be vastly more interested if they actually made the world interesting to run around in and explore. Rather than just make it prettier.

red731

OMG this day.
First the Forza H2 trailer and now this info.

I am giggling like a little girl now.
19004-parks-and-recreation-giddy-ron.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wow, with all the hype surrounding GTAV, how did you manage to hold off this long?

There are those of us who specifically didn't buy games like TLOU and GTAV because we knew 99% of games coming out a year before next gen would inevitably get up ports. Their performance suffered on last gen and going into next gen with a new coat of paint is a good opportunity cost for many devs.

NateDrake

FWIW, I heard from people in attendance that they were shown footage labeled as "in-game" and saw clips of the game. It wasn't a live-demonstration or anything like that.

So a lot more improvements than we were expecting! They probably could have half-assed this remaster and gotten away with it. Hell, quarter-assed it. Actually they could have just put in higher-res textures and resold it as-was and sold millions more with zero additional effort.

That doesn't really address any criticisms, though. It already looked pretty good given its constraints. There was already a whole lot of nothing. Now it's a bunch of a whole lot more beautiful nothing I guess? Spend some time on actual content (such as, say, stuff you promised for online more than a year ago) and fixes instead of just using new hardware to make eye candy, please. I'm okay with 30fps. Other than visuals are there any other improvements? At all?

My gut feeling is that it'll probably be full retail and not have any upgrade deals. Wow I sound bitter. I guess I'm looking for excuses to buy the game again but if it's only graphical improvements I'm underwhelmed. "More wildlife and realistic fur" doesn't inspire hype.

Dante316

Wow, with all the hype surrounding GTAV, how did you manage to hold off this long?

I did same lol, basically ignore ever neogaf gtav thread and youtube videos. Was easy :)

There are those of us who specifically didn't buy games like TLOU and GTAV because we knew 99% of games coming out a year before next gen would inevitably get up ports. Their performance suffered on last gen and going into next gen with a new coat of paint is a good opportunity cost for many devs.

I got tlou but I 100% had faith gta would come to ps4. Waiting will be worth it :)

I really hope they understand how important a stable framerate is. Pushing the system is admirable and all, but, seriously, adding in extra visual stuff that ruins the framerate is cutting off your nose to spite your face. I played my PS3 copy a couple of days ago for the first time in months and, like clockwork, spent the rest of the night with a headache because that game runs terribly. Gimme a stable 30FPS on PS4, for the love of Gawd.

doofy102

I just want better car collision physics. The crowded streets will feel less claustrophobic when you can actually bump cars out of the way.

flohen95

I'm guessing that they built the game similar to this to begin with, and then sized it down to fit Xbox 360/PS3 restrictions. Nice to hear anyway.
Similarily to GTA IV, I wasn't planning on buying the game (on PS360) until much later. I still won't be paying full price for it and I don't even own a PS4 or Xbox One at the moment, but I'll be sure to pick up this version once I actually get one of those consoles (By the looks of it, I'll probably buy a PS4 before 2016).

Denton

Willpower, being sure it will come to PC and nextgen, like Bully.
Friend caved in and got the PS3 version, wanted to make me borrow it while singing its praises, but I refused anyway. Now I am glad I did, and he is pissed, having played inferior version and now paying twice for the same game.
And I will enjoy glorious PC version for the first time playing. GTA5 and Witcher 3.. Nirvana.

antitrop

I'm guessing that they built the game similar to this to begin with, and then sized it down to fit Xbox 360/PS3 restrictions. Nice to hear anyway.
Similarily to GTA IV, I wasn't planning on buying the game (on PS360) until much later. I still won't be paying full price for it and I don't even own a PS4 or Xbox One at the moment, but I'll be sure to pick up this version once I actually get one of those consoles (By the looks of it, I'll probably buy a PS4 before 2016).

The original trailers they used pretty much say as much.

Michael Trailer:
eFlt8ui.png

360/PS3:
so0gFfO.png

----

Michael Trailer:
RA3inDZ.jpg

360/PS3:
wtq1ivB.png

Willpower, being sure it will come to PC and nextgen, like Bully.
Friend caved in and got the PS3 version, wanted to make me borrow it while singing its praises, but I refused anyway. Now I am glad I did, and he is pissed, having played inferior version and now paying twice for the same game.
And I will enjoy glorious PC version for the first time playing. GTA5 and Witcher 3.. Nirvana.

My 360 red ringed on GTAIV launch day. What did I do? Went out and bought a ps3 plus GTAIV, then sent in the 360 for repairs. I couldn't wait!.

Jtrizzy

Bought this and TLOU day one, quit playing both after 2-3 hours because of the frame rate and IQ. I'd rather buy it on PS4, but if it's not 60, I'll go pc. Any sort of remaster from last gen needs to start at 1080p60, and work from there in terms of any additional effects. Obviously Naughty Dog gets it.

ekgrey

really glad I sold it after beating the main story instead of trying to 100% it. I've been itching to replay it for a couple months but have made myself hold off. revisiting Los Santos is going to be glorious. just have to decide between PC and PS4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Bought this and TLOU day one, quit playing both after 2-3 hours because of the frame rate and IQ. I'd rather buy it on PS4, but if it's not 60, I'll go pc. Any sort of remaster from last gen needs to start at 1080p60, and work from there in terms of any additional effects. Obviously Naughty Dog gets it.

Its not gonna be 60fps on consoles. Otherwise it would look like the PS3/360 versions. The best you can hope for is a locked or stable 30. I'm going in fully knowing that.

They make trade offs with performance with all those variable elements like the AI of the people, cars, animals, planes in an open world at any given time. Something like Ground Zeroes or Phantom Pain with hardly any people or activity around is one thing, but this isnt Metal Gear by a long shot. Kojima himself knows that.

Madness

Damn it, now I'm going to have to double dip for sure. I spent nearly 35+ hours with each character on Xbox 360. There was nothing really left for me to do in the game. I didn't even touch Online much, just felt like a half-assed attempt at recreating single player. It was so poor at launch, can't help but wonder how it changed later.

I still fire up gta v sometimes, just to screw around. I hope with the fact there are more pedestrians and traffic, that the wanted levels are fixed. What's the point of suppressors or anything if me firing my silenced pistol in the middle of a lake/desert still draws cops in that follow exactly where you are? Even something small would cause cops to come and then it would take forever for the stars to disappear. Easily my biggest complaint with the game. The wanted level. I like they're adding more to the radio too. The songs were so few, so poor that even on a long stretch of Highway, the songs felt like they repeated.

Plus I hope there are easily double or triple the random events, encounters etc.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sounds awesome. Glad I waited to finish this.

Hopefully an expansion comes out for it soon enough as well.

I thought GTA V had the most well-realized open world ever created. Exploring was an absolute joy for me.
Yeah me too. But I think he means more content with game-play modes or systems. I mean, I've been playing GTA V non-stop almost a year now, and I'm still finding new details, finding new nooks and crannies with surprising detail... finding new buildings that are surprisingly unique and based off of real life examples... or just finding new places to have police chases or gang shootouts.

While not every example is good, this thread and in particular these two pages really show off the 100+ days that Rockstar said they spent taking photographs of LA to base LS on. Even to someone that's played the game many times now, I'm pretty impressed and even surprised still just how many buildings are unique in the game. The game is, at least when you're in that sort of no-gameplay-needed relaxing mood, such a joy to explore.
http://gtaforums.com/topic/491242-mapping-los-santos-buildinglandmark-analysis/page-865
http://gtaforums.com/topic/491242-mapping-los-santos-buildinglandmark-analysis/page-866

I think these two pages of the photography thread show that off, too, but instead of showing the quality of realism (whether the buildings are actually realistic to real world architecture), show the quality of just artistic design. There are just so many areas that feel like little hand-painted dioramas.
http://gtaforums.com/topic/652898-professional-photographers-snapmatic/page-99
http://gtaforums.com/topic/652898-professional-photographers-snapmatic/page-98

I do wish there was more content to do there sometimes. But sometimes just exploring these areas is enough. I've beat the game 8 times now so obviously the combination of story and art must be good enough to keep me coming back.

But I'd definitely be up for some new property missions, more properties, more garages or safehouses, maybe even upgrade-able properties, maybe repeatable missions like photography missions, trucking missions, fishing to compliment the hunting, and of course planning heists (or even just holding up a la gas stations) those empty Fleece banks all over the map or adding heistable interiors to more office space (imagine doing heist 'runs' on various company HQs a la Shadowrun on Genesis with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack). Just, more stuff to do.

ryan299

Is there going to be any new content in this game bc just being better looking isn't enough for me to buy this game. If it came with new content I would get it, otherwise its a pointless remake for people who already played it.

And where the heck are the multiplayer heists? lol

Eh. These impressions carry as much weight as if they came directly from Rockstar itself. Of course the people who are going to sell you an updated version of a highly anticipated product are going to say the product is amazing and much improved over the original. They were going to say that regardless of what the final thing ends up looking like. No offence to Shogun, of the validity of his/her impressions of course. Just pointing out the conflict of interests kind of colours the impressions a bit.

That said, I wish they'd show it to the public already. Talk of new content has my interest as well.

Top Bottom