• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Better Together |OT| Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

To be fair Xbox 360, Wii U, PS3, and Vita aren't included - it's foolish to even list 3DS as not included since it's not really doable anyway.

Oh, and neither my friend or me can claim our free copy of the new edition - says $20. I had the disc, he actually owns the digital copy. What gives?

Bazookaxp

Anyone get texture packs to work on realms? I see it as an option in the game but it says you must be outside of the game to activate. Sadly the option only shows up for offline worlds for me.

Anyone get texture packs to work on realms? I see it as an option in the game but it says you must be outside of the game to activate. Sadly the option only shows up for offline worlds for me.

Before entering a realm go to settings/global resources and set whatever texture pack you want to use to be the top active one.

How does ownership of a Realm work? Can you download the world? Can you pass admin on to other users?

You can download the world. You can upload a world to be your realm. You can reset a realm.

You can change the status of realm members - just like a forum. Make others admin, guest etc. Or change their permission in a more granular way.

Unai

So, do you need to subscribe to the monthly fee to be able to access the online functionalities like uploading the world?

Head.spawn

Crossplay between devices works so well. It's just seemless.

I just went between Xbox One, Oculus VR (Android) and Windows 10, all one button press to Join up and no problems playing or whatever. Very solid.

My wife has a sudden interest in my Switch now that this might be coming on that console.

Same, however I really like the current server's hybrid setup where you can switch between the two modes in the spawn city. Having access to creative was handy at times when I lost all my stuff very stupidly or when I needed Elytras because I spent 2 hours looking for one only to have an Enderman spawn on top of me, already angry somehow, and knock me into the void. Having to make the trip back to spawn made making the switch a non-trivial choice.

I assume we could still do this on a Realm with command blocks?

Also, despite the fact that I never saw more than 5 other people online in GAFLand at a time (usually it was just me or 1 other person) I don't like the limit of 11 people. Especially since this new update is likely to draw interest from lots of people looking to play again.
10 is hugely limited. Are there any other options and still use Win10?

Unfortunately the update hasn't been working as well as we'd like.

Booted up Minecraft, bought a Dino world the kids wanted to play. However every time they try to join they get an error that says "unable to connect to world".

It's frustrating, was really looking to play today. The boys aren't very happy about this :(

WillyFive

Tried the Windows 10 version. I have never been a fan of the non-Java versions of the game, but now it seems it's like the Java version except pretty much everything is being sold to you instead of being free.

Tried logging into Mineplex but it kept failing to connect. Tried out the Lifeboat server, and it was very buggy, it kept kicking me back to spawn and when playing Skyboat the crafting was unresponsive half of the time.

Fuchsdh

Ok, so I've got credit on my Microsoft account so there's really nothing to lose trying out a realm for Gaffers.

Currently the shouts have it for survival—if there are comments on desired seeds or the like, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Ok, so I've got credit on my Microsoft account so there's really nothing to lose trying out a realm for Gaffers.

Currently the shouts have it for survival—if there are comments on desired seeds or the like, speak now or forever hold your peace.
I'm for survival but also for having a massive supply of elytra at spawn for everyone since it's such a fun part of the game that shouldn't be limited to the end game. Getting rockets and keeping it repaired and eventually enchanted are fun goals to achieve.

So when I tried to create a realm I got an error message that said the purchase succeeded but my realm couldn't be created and to check back later. How long do I have to wait? This seems kinda shitty lol.

Zia

Do these changes apply to the standalone PC client, or only the Windows Store version? I remember that being kind of a walled garden compared to the other client, but I haven't played Minecraft in years.

Fuchsdh

is there a neogaf server?

There will be presently (see posts above.)

Do these changes apply to the standalone PC client, or only the Windows Store version? I remember that being kind of a walled garden compared to the other client, but I haven't played Minecraft in years.

Windows store version. PC/Mac client is now rebranded "Java Edition" and is separate from the better together stuff.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Played a bit of the new W10 version tonight, and wouldn't you know it they STILL didn't fix the water and lave flow animations!!!! Damnit, I was really hoping they would fix those for this major update. :(

Other than that though it looks like the W10 version finally has parity with the Java Edition feature wise regarding building mats. I don't think anything is missing anymore.

Loving the update, but it is seems glass item elevators still don’t seem to work on the pocket platform (iOS) in my case. Bummer, as I was looking forward to playing on my iPad outside, now that it is getting down into the 70s at night. Anyone else able to confirm?

Head.spawn

In the Xbone version there's a mouse and keyboard option - I had a set spare but not two ports spare so plugged the adapter for my wireless set in the front of my console... it works but... someone didn't do QA lol, excuse the name mentions at the start since this was supposed to be for a friend but thought you guys would find this amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKRi1aZm0w&feature=youtu.be

Kb/m works perfectly over here. Have you tried it without your USB hub?

Head.spawn

No hub, just a wireless stick that carries both kbm on one USB dongle.

I've put in a good 20 hours using a wireless Logitech G403 mouse and K810 keyboard since they added mouse support last week or so. About 3-4 hours in the newest build, no issues like that.

Definitely send in a report on that though. Do you have another mouse to test with? You can play Controller/mouse to test if need be.

Estoc

Nice OP! Maybe edit in Java Edition to the ”Not Included" section though, since it's a major version that will continue seeing support, and lots of folks aren't sure if it's joining the club.

Win10 only. Java is its own separate thing, and has been rebranded ”Java Edition", with the Better Together (i.e. Bedrock engine based) versions taking up the subtitle-less ”Minecraft" branding.

It's a lot closer now-a-days, but I don't think it's 1:1.

Sorry, I'm confused, do I have to re-buy if I already bought Java Edition?

EDIT: NVM, answered a few posts down.

Kebiinu

Banned
If y'all get a GAF server up and running, keep it nice and clean for the arrival of us Switch players! We're coming in with the creative prowess of Miyamoto himself!

qko

So I'm confused, do I have to sign up for the $7.99 a month option to pickup and play from Xbox One to iOS?

so the dedicated server tab only shows those three but it allows s to input info for other servers to join. So does that mean we can get like a gaf server that isn't a realm?

Crispy75

so the dedicated server tab only shows those three but it allows s to input info for other servers to join. So does that mean we can get like a gaf server that isn't a realm?

Only PC users get to add custom servers. Consoles are limited to MS-approved servers.

Which sucks big time.

There's already a PC-only server for the Java version. We want a GAF server for all platforms, which means Realms.

I've just been into our trial realm.

Left a bunch of signs around the place telling my kids how great they are. Which will surprise them when they play later when home from school.

Because it's written in a sane language for computer games. Java was a terrible, terrible choice.

It's kinda freaking me out.

I feel myself getting drawn back into it for the first time since Vivecraft.

Speaking of, does anyone know if VR compatibility is planned? I'm really curious to see how the better performance and IQ would affect the experience in VR.

Vargavinter

This is REALLY cool! I decided to try it out since i have Minecraft on my PC and my son have Minecraft on our Xbox One. So I hosted a local online server so my brother who is on Xbox Live and who has Gold can join me and my son who dont have gold still see the server as a local server so he can join us and play with me and my brother without having gold. Extremely convenient!

Unai

It's kinda freaking me out.

I feel myself getting drawn back into it for the first time since Vivecraft.

Speaking of, does anyone know if VR compatibility is planned? I'm really curious to see how the better performance and IQ would affect the experience in VR.

It's already VR compatible.

Top Bottom