• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sold (MC: 207k, Enterbrain: 215k) last week in Japan due to price drop

Bisnic said:
6a00d8341bfc7553ef014e86773e8b970d-320wi

Just according to keikaku.
Hahaha, perfect.

I've told myself over and over again that I don't need a 3DS but OoT3D has been calling to me ever since the price drop was announced. I suspect I'll cave next week.

And a new Mario from EAD Tokyo is always something to look forward to.

Instro

User33 said:
Gotta love the originality. Do you people not realize you're saying the same thing over and over?
Why do you keep making snide remarks about "Nintendo Defense Force"? You deserve to be heckled when you make bad posts, particularly when a simple thread search could have gotten you the numbers for the previous week.

x3sphere

qq more said:
Indeed. I wonder how long it'll take for the 3DS to become profitable at the current price.

Probably not long. I can't imagine they're losing much, minimal compared to what Sony was initially losing on the PS3 and now Vita.

Um. Good to hear, I guess.

I just hope we start seeing cool games from Japan soon. I do like the 3D effect and Sakurai's Kid Icarus meant I needed this system if only for that game, but in general, I bought the 3DS thinking about the legacy of the DS. So let's see these sales translate into a sequel to The World Ends With You, let's see a 3D Etrian Odyssey and more importantly, let's see more crazy bold interesting original games that remind me of gaming in the SNES days as the DS gave to me.

Wow, that's better than I had expected. Thought it'd be somewhere in the 120-150K range.

Let's see where it settles over the next few weeks. 40K, give or take a few K, would be pretty healthy, I'd think.

Raonak

Banned
BanditKing said:

Not nessicerly... Their profits must have taken a big hit with the price drop;
Im guessing they're only making small profit, or might even be taking a loss- which is pretty big for a ninty console.

EDIT: so apprently it is taking a loss. It eats money!

Busaiku

x3sphere said:
Probably not long. I can't imagine they're losing much, minimal compared to what Sony was initially losing on the PS3 and now Vita.
During the shareholder meeting, Mr. Iwata said that they were originally losing money on DS as well, however the loss on 3DS is much greater.

qq more

Diablos54 said:
Yea I figured that out after I posted lol, it's 3.30am I'm tired. :p
Oh, okay.

Anth0ny said:
Holy shit that's a high nunber....I wonder if it will sell that much this MONTH in North America.
Yeah, it's going to be an interesting NPD this month.

Erethian

qq more said:
Indeed. I wonder how long it'll take for the 3DS to become profitable at the current price.

The more the sell the less time it will take, because as they have to up production economies of scale start to factor in.

Iwata cited a lack of increased production as reason for the loss on each system sold.

So is there any decently big software between now and the release of mario kart and mario 3DS? That's a long time to go without any decent software releases.

AdventureRacing said:
So is there any decently big software between now and the release of mario kart and mario 3DS? That's a long time to go without any decent software releases.
In the US there is Starfox in Sep

qq more

Erethian said:
The more the sell the less time it will take, because as they have to up production economies of scale start to factor in.

Iwata cited a lack of increased production as reason for the loss on each system sold.
Ah, that's interesting to hear.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
AdventureRacing said:
So new adopters you gotta remember now have an assortment of "new" software in the form of Everything That Is Out. So they can now buy Nintendogs, Star Fox, Layton, Zelda, Tales, One Piece. That stuff is probably enough for them for three months, which is how long until Mario Kart comes out.

For the people that have already played those, they have the somewhat clever idea of giving away the twenty free games to those power gamers to keep them using the thing until the big ones come out this holiday. Then later they can sell to the new players what they gave the old ones for free.

User33 said:
Some of you can be so defensive...

You're right. You made a stupid post trying to further your agenda and when shown why you were wrong instead of just admitting it and ending the argument you go on the defensive.

User33 said:
Also, I don't have an issue with being "heckled", what I find annoying is that people just say the same thing over and over as if they're being just as clever as the original person that said it. Its like people who talk only because they love the sound of their own voice.

As i said before most of those posts were made within a minute of each other. They most likely didn't get a chance to see each others posts. They all just thought of the same response when they read your post because it was so obviously wrong.

No one thought they were being clever, just making an obvious correction.

TheNatural

My Member!
Saw a couple of gems in the Media Crate thread:

pramath said:
Next week will be a shitstorm.
I'm going to be conservative here, and predict ~42,000 units sold for the 3DS.

pramath said:
You really expect it to sell in excess of 80k? With no games?
Because a low price can only move hardware up to a certain point, the 3DS needs compelling games too, and it doesn't get any original software (I know it already has Zelda, Star Fox and Tales of the Abyss) until November with Mario. THAT'S when we'll see a real 3DS sales spike is my estimate.

LOL

Curufinwe

User33 said:
Show me where I mentioned "Nintendo Defense Force" in this thread? Some of you can be so defensive...

Also, I don't have an issue with being "heckled", what I find annoying is that people just say the same thing over and over as if they're being just as clever as the original person that said it. Its like people who talk only because they love the sound of their own voice.

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

Curufinwe

User33 said:
I don't think you understand what that expression means. Either that or you didn't bold the right sentences.

No, I fully understand what that expression means. You are accusing other people of being defensive and talking just to hear the sound of their own voice, which is in fact precisely what you are doing in this thread. Hence, my use of the indirect form of the famous idiom indicating blatant hypocrisy.

Pachinko

Not that surprising really, Nintendo obviously did some research into how much of a price drop the hardware needed before people would consider buying it and the price must have been one of the largest complaints non-owners levied against purchasing one.

Also something to consider, the price drop in japan was comparatively larger than europe or north america, enough that a new owner might have been able to purchase 3 games with the savings.

Now the real question is what kind of legs will it have, will it move 200K every week until the end of the year? or will it do 50K this week.

Instro

User33 said:
Show me where I mentioned "Nintendo Defense Force" in this thread? Some of you can be so defensive...

I was tying it back to the post you made the other day, its the same group think complaint. Given how fast threads move here its not really surprising if you get a bunch of similar replies. Happens in any gaf thread.

User33 said:
My post wasn't wrong, bud. The 3DS most likely did not sell 0 units in those three days. The "4K comment" certainly helped put things in perspective, but my post wasn't actually wrong.

User33 said:
OP says August 8th-14th. Last time I checked, that's 7 days.

Yep i'm sure that's exactly what you meant. You were wrong and you just keep digging in deeper.

User33 said:
Also, apparently I have an agenda? lol wat?

Yes and you aren't even trying to hide it. I won't be adding to this thread derail anymore.

Grakl

User33 said:
Also, apparently I have an agenda? lol wat?

Yeah cause you haven't been going into every recent Nintendo thread to derail it /sarcasm

On topic: Hopefully the 3DS is able to keep good numbers, but the software really needs to show up soon or else it will fall drastically. This just seems like a repeat of the DS, albeit a weaker start.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, let's get this topic back on track. No, this doesn't mean you get "one last reply" in order to set the record straight. I don't care who started it.

Instro

So what would be good software numbers for these kind of hardware sales anyway? Presumably that's the more important number.

Unknown Soldier said:
Sony is planning on having software.

Like what? The vast majority of the software they've shown off seems targeted towards the West. Unless TGS holds a wealth of surprise announcements, I feel like they're handling the launch entirely backwards in terms of which region they're releasing the Vita in.

Boney

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Sony is planning on having software.
If we're talking Japan, what are the heavy hitters? Hot shots golf is probably the biggest right? Is gravity daze planned for launch and how does the wipeout series usually do?

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
How did Star Fox do, anyway? Are there any numbers out?
I don't have numbers on hand but the numbers weren't very good, if a price drop didn't occur it would've been lucky to have made it to 100K. However, some places have reported that Starfox sales as well as Zelda's and Pokemon will do very good this week because of the price drop.

BurntPork

Banned
... Wow.

Wow.

FUCKING WOW.

I was expecting half that...

I hope that it stabilizes at a pretty high number. I think 35-45k a week works out.

qq more

Lord_Byron28 said:
I don't have numbers on hand but the numbers weren't very good, if a price drop didn't occur it would've been lucky to have made it to 100K. However, some places have reported that Starfox sales as well as Zelda's and Pokemon will do very good this week because of the price drop.
That's a relief if true. Hope it does well in America and Europe as well.

EDIT: How well/awful Command do in Japan by the way?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Boney said:
If we're talking Japan, what are the heavy hitters? Hot shots golf is probably the biggest right? Is gravity daze planned for launch and how does the wipeout series usually do?

Monster Hunter?

Top Bottom