• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

Chopper

Sooooo, what are the odds of the original GBC Shantae getting a release? Good, surely? I was on ebay the other day, and got a bit of a shock!

dvolovets

I'm loving the eShop... I never downloaded anything off of DSiWare except Shantae and Rayman because of the atrocious shop set-up on the DSi XL, but the 3DS version is excellent. I'm catching up on a lot of DSiWare games; the Virtual Console is also great, especially since I've never played Link's Awakening. Good stuff, Nintendo.

tearsofash

lazybones18 said:
Anyone else have any good DSiWare recommendations?

GG series (dark spirits), 10 second run, blayzbloo, mighty flip champs, trajectile, aura-aura climber, metal torrent, bomber man, earthworm Jim.

Those are the ones I enjoy pretty well. There's also the art style games, but that should be a given.

womp

lazybones18 said:
Spotto! Is the best $1.99 you can spend. Get it NOW. SnapDots is also damn good and a spiritual sequel to Guru Logic Champ on GBA.

watershed

Banned
So do the new videos available in Japan mark the launch of the 3ds video service or are those just additions to the eshop? For some reason I was expecting an actual video application on the main menu that would have videos accessible through it and not the eshop. I also wanted a video application that would organize all the e3 trailers into it, like a folder within the app. I guess that might have been wishing for too much?

angelfly

artwalknoon said:
So do the new videos available in Japan mark the launch of the 3ds video service or are those just additions to the eshop? For some reason I was expecting an actual video application on the main menu that would have videos accessible through it and not the eshop. I also wanted a video application that would organize all the e3 trailers into it, like a folder within the app. I guess that might have been wishing for too much?
Those Game Center CX videos have been there since the shop launched.

wsippel

Banned
I always wonder what's taking Nintendo so long. When are demos supposed to hit? End of the year if I remember correctly? Why? They already have demos they could just upload right now. This shit could and should have been there day one. Just like a sizable collection of 3D movie and game trailers.

Also, note to Nintendo: Don't do weekly updates. It's stupid. If you only update once a week, people will only visit the store once a week. Also, start copying Valve. Do weekend deals, midweek deals, daily deals. If you want to make money, give customers a reason to browse your shop every day. Encourage impulse buys. It's not rocket science.

watershed

Banned
angelfly said:
Those Game Center CX videos have been there since the shop launched.

oh wow, wish we knew that cuz then we'd be steaming even more since launch!

But here is one more gripe I have with the US eshop at the moment. New VC games don't have any videos of gameplay for prospective buyers to watch. The eshop is supposed to be one stop shopping. Instead I have to go on youtube to look up video of the game in action. Missed opportunity by Nintendo. Actually the overall lack of video content is annoying. I especially don't understand why the "now available at retail 3ds games" don't have trailers available. The trailers already exist! Just put them up!!!!!

sorry for the rant, the eshop is slowly improving but still so lacking.

idwl

Why isn't there a download status bar. I hate those things that get dropped into the thing. What are they anyway? Blocks?
Which Zelda game is being made in 3d?

GeekyDad

lazybones18 said:
Played quite a few DSiWare games now, including both Shantae and Dark Void Zero, but Starship Defense is now my favorite of the bunch.

watershed

Banned
idwl said:
Why isn't there a download status bar. I hate those things that get dropped into the thing. What are they anyway? Blocks?
Which Zelda game is being made in 3d?

That's one complaint I don't share. The box slowly fills up, so in a sense it is a status bar and a very accurate one. On PSN the status can get stuck at 15% then suddenly rocket up to 50% I haven't seen that happen yet with the 3ds box thing.

Miyamoto has talked about A link to the past becoming a 3d classic but not in definitive terms
http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/05/miyamoto_a_link_to_the_past_could_be_reworked_for_the_3ds

Mafro

AceBandage said:
Nintendo Video and Netflix should be releasing sometime in the coming months.
They were slated for Summer.
I'm still waiting on the ESPN, Sky Sports an Shaun the Sheep 3D video content they announced at the start of the year for Europe and haven't mentioned since...

idwl said:
The present box is the download bar, it fills as more blocks get dropped into it.

That Pikmin transfer animation shits on any download bar ever created.

artwalknoon said:
That's one complaint I don't share. The box slowly fills up, so in a sense it is a status bar and a very accurate one. On PSN the status can get stuck at 15% then suddenly rocket up to 50% I haven't seen that happen yet with the 3ds box thing.

Long rectangles that fill up from left to right › Nintendo's box. God Nintendo fails at everything online. It's 2011!

The only real problem with the eShop at the moment is that you can't view the entire library at once.
Other than that, it's all pretty minor complaints.

idwl

artwalknoon said:
That's one complaint I don't share. The box slowly fills up, so in a sense it is a status bar and a very accurate one.
Sammy Samusu said:
The present box is the download bar, it fills as more blocks get dropped into it.
Oh wow. I Never paid any attention to the box. Was just wondering what the heck the point of the blocks were :p

Edit: When we're downloading , Can we close the lid ?

jwluther said:
I agree a million times over. Glad someone finally got the balls to say it.
Unfortunately its by Jim Sterling who while he does write some good stuff every now and then everyone will bag on it for being a Jim Sterling article.

And yeah Nintendo need to not do this release everything on Monday thing, its much better if they give us a reason to visit the store every day for them. Like have DSiWare on Mondays, Trailers on Tuesday, 3D Nes Classics on Wednesday, VC on Thursdays, Demos on Fridays and then Weekend Deals on the Weekend.

I like the eShop its a huge step up from what they have done in the past but the thing is it could be just so god damn much more then it is.

You know what really annoys me though right now, why the hell is there no instant messaging thing on the 3DS, you could send messages on the Wii but why not the 3DS

M3d10n

Truth101 said:
Their e-shop layout is so much better.....
So many videos... goddamn. They even got Wii game videos in there. It pisses me off that no retail game has a streaming video like the DSi games, only horribly compressed 2D screenshots.

idwl said:
Oh wow. I Never paid any attention to the box. Was just wondering what the heck the point of the blocks were :p
The box is a vertical bar. The amount and frequency of bits being dropped into it at once show how fast the download is coming. You guys are no fun.

idwl said:
Edit: When we're downloading , Can we close the lid ?
Yes. The 3DS shuts the LCD and audio off and automatically sleeps when the download is done. It was the first thing I tried.

Chopper

So, if I was to get a new 3DS, say if they released a new colour I wanted, or I scratched mine all up, do we have any idea how comprehensie the data transfer will be? Am I right in thinking the 3DS to 3DS transfer s not yet activated? I don't mind the idea of switching out consoles as long as it transfers Streetpass and Activity log data too...

Destructoid said:
Between vague category names like "For The Win" and "Nuthin' But Action," and the horrendously blinkered presentation of games, you're going to be screwed once the eShop's been around a while and amasses a wider selection.

I don't have a 3DS, but is this for real? :O

And yeah the bloody dick shit thing was kinda over the top...

mjc

Does anyone else have low volume on some of the trailers? I wonder if thats a side-effect of compressing the video?

Taichu

mjc said:
Does anyone else have low volume on some of the trailers? I wonder if thats a side-effect of compressing the video?
Yeah, I have the same problem. They are hard to hear, especially Star Fox.

M3d10n

Chopper said:
So, if I was to get a new 3DS, say if they released a new colour I wanted, or I scratched mine all up, do we have any idea how comprehensie the data transfer will be? Am I right in thinking the 3DS to 3DS transfer s not yet activated? I don't mind the idea of switching out consoles as long as it transfers Streetpass and Activity log data too...
The option is there, but right now it says it requires a future firmware update (just like the DSi transfer thing did).

I think it'll be available when more colors or revisions show up in the market and both the eShop and the firmware matures a bit more.

Oni Link 666 said:
Do you guys have surround sound on in the system settings? Everything sounds quieter with that on. I suggest turning it to stereo.
I noticed this while listening to MP3s without headphones. The surround output is much quieter, specially when playing stereo content that wasn't designed for it (like the trailers, music and DSiWare videos).

Well, I got Metal Torrent after transferring over my DSi stuff...

This game is pretty sweet. Plus, it controls awesome with the Slide Pad. I would have never guessed it was designed for a D-Pad after an hour-long play session.

Also, I guess we'll have to wait a while for actual 3DSWare, huh?

The Hermit

artwalknoon said:
Here's someone expressing their eshop frustration in rather crude language, do you share his pain?
http://www.destructoid.com/the-3ds-eshop-or-why-nintendo-has-no-f-cking-clue-204072.phtml

eh, yeah I agree about the completly messy presentation, still hopping it'll be fixed. Still, I am very excited with eShop, in the short life we already recieved great games for it.

At least they are treating it more seriously than Wiiware...

BY2K said:

15 posts too late...but I like the article, including the last part :/

Is it possible to link your 3DS' eShop account to your Club Nintendo account without actually registering the system? I've already hit platinum so I'd love to get the 160 coins for registering the system for next year, but at the same time I don't want to miss out on the coins I'd get for buying games.

GeekyDad

Not sure what people see in Paperfield (except perhaps the cute visuals), but that was $2 wasted. It's shallow even for a $2 game. It's pretty, runs smooth, but boring. Not worth the space on my 3DS.

I have to learn not to feel like I have to try everything...

I didn't think it was so bad in my limited play through - I get the feeling it really comes into it's own when you're playing with a bunch of linked DS' though.....

Top Bottom