• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Ryuuroden

I found some discounted sets (new, sealed, but damaged box) I might want to order from BrickLink.

Does BrickLink have a good reputation? Reliable seller?

Edit: Looks like BrickLink is just the go-between. The seller is UTINNI! Trading Company

Can the companies listed on BrickLink be trusted?

I have made some 300+ purchases through Bricklink and have only once had an issue.

Yourpost was terrifieing for someone who uses the Celsius scale....

But jokes aside, while bricks won’t damaged what about stickers, parts of cloth, etc?

Yeah I'm worried about stickers,but it's not a big deal cause lots of sets look fine without them and if I need to replace them I can just bricklink the rest for ~$20

Welp, my house is being heat treated for bed bugs at 150 degrees right now along with my legos. The guy said they'd be fine and wouldnt warp, and hes done hundreds of houses so I guess I can trust him. Now that I think about it trucks that ship lego probably get to 150 in the back on a very hot day. I kept wall-e just to be safe, if theres one set I could save it would be him.

Let us know how it goes. I sometimes worry about some I store in garage that can get a bit hot.

From some post I googled.

"ABS maximum temperature is 80°C (176°F) and melt at 105°C (221°F)
Polycarbonate plastic used for transparent bricks melt at 267°C (512.6°F)"

I really like the PotC sets, have both Black Pearl and Queen Mary’s Revenge. How Brick Bounty (70413) compares to them? I am feeling a Pirate urge.

Ryuuroden

Finally finished the Millennium Falcon. I think it looks fantastic and the way its built is great. It is very modular and that will make it easy to modify with my own modifications. The design they went with leaves two really large interior spaces to do what you want with, which I plan to do. I will probably outfit one with an interior and the other (front one) with a cell phone USB battery pack charger to run LED's to, I will go with this sort of wiring to enable it to also be powered by running a cord to it. I plan on redoing the engine as well with my own design. I am very happy with all the snot and technic connections in the set as it gives me lots of ideas to expand in my own design of airships and such.

I am also more confident I should be able to build a long substructure frame for my airship that should be strong enough to hold it together. I will however have to pick up even more technic parts than I already have (which is a lot)

This old set was always one of my bucket list sets and I am glad they released a new version. I do think this one has a lot of unique printed parts even with the stickers that are required and from my own knowledge of parts prices, there are plenty of other parts that currently at this point are not super common yet, and are in this set in some decent quantities. This comment is more aimed toward someone who might want to bricklink this set together. Minus the cockpit, I can see it being perfectly conceivable to bricklink it and replace several of the parts with unprinted versions that would not detract from it at all. If you own a lot of star wars sets (and some modular sets) you could probably come up with the majority of the parts needed. If you have to bricklink from scratch I honestly don't think you will do much better than the current cost of the set. This fact does bode will for the future though when the set is out of print most of the pieces don't seem like ones that will ever be costly.

Next step for me besides reworking the engines and such is to build a stand to display it on its side at an angle like in the stores. This honestly should not be too terribly hard to do as the ship is very durable and I cannot see any reason why it should not be possible to do this. My thoughts are to disconnect the lower turret pod, pop it out and build a stand that slides technic connectors through the same slots and fasten them in again. Based on being able to carry the ship around with my fingers around that center part and only that center part, It should be strong enough. The only reason not to carry it that way is not because of it not being able to hold together, but because the ship is damn heavy so you better be able to hold that weight with 4 fingers if you truly want to carry it that way.

Haines

Banned
Mine too today. Did we all agree back order status was progress?

I thought i read someone post next thing they knew it was shipped.

Did some more lego with the son and his great grandpa tonight. His progress at getting better at it is kind of amazing to watch. Wont be long and he will be doing a set himself and he isnt even 4 yet!

Got back in the house, the pieces seem to be a bit looser, but it might just be a placebo effect. Either way when I shake stuff upside down the pieces don't fall off so it's good enough. Stickers are perfectly fine. Definitely don't want another heat treatment so the bed bugs better be gone.

I have abandoned my theater MOC for a long time, and will probably be shrinking it a bit (down to one screen instead of two) but will keep a lot of details like the bathrooms. I am still proud of those urinals I made.

But as I was sitting in the theater this afternoon for a showing I was looking at the walls and had an epiphany as to how to liven up the walls in my MOC whenever I do get back to it. Even a different micro build for the lights on the sides too.

This will be months away, but did a small proof of concept of how to get the railing in there cleanly on the wall.

fpLQO53.png

October 10th to 25th with $125 purchase.
Love it! But not sure I have or even want $125 of LEGO around that time.

Unless I get a giftcard for my b-day...

boltz

Any reply from the seller? If he doesn't have them, I'd ask for a partial refund for your bricklink replacement costs.

I didn't hear anything back from the seller so I started the return process. Now he has three days to communicate with me before Ebay steps in. I'd rather keep the set and replace the missing parts instead of having to hunt another one down, but it's up to the seller now...

Jimrpg

They seem to be gradually going up. Palace cinema was $150, Parisian restaurant was $160, and brick bank is $170. Hope that trend doesn't continue.

Well if they stay around that that'd be fine I suppose. I'm really keen on seeing the price of the next Modular set, now that Assembly Square has a much higher price.

Non-LEGO Retail store shelf sets are hitting $139 and up. 2 Star Wars, 1 Ninjago, and 1 LEGO Batman Movie set. $119 used to be the high price point.

Line between UCS and regular sets is getting blurry.

Yep I guess all they are really doing is offering a range of price points. This is a pretty obvious way for them to drive revenue up. It's too bad that the bigger sets usually seem to be the most coveted ones and it leaves a lot of people desiring them. There doesn't seem to be a lot Lego can really do about pricing. They're in a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.

In Australia, I'd consider toys >$100 for kids expensive, and there's a lot of sets that are well above that for Lego.

Well if they stay around that that'd be fine I suppose. I'm really keen on seeing the price of the next Modular set, now that Assembly Square has a much higher price.

Yep I guess all they are really doing is offering a range of price points. This is a pretty obvious way for them to drive revenue up. It's too bad that the bigger sets usually seem to be the most coveted ones and it leaves a lot of people desiring them. There doesn't seem to be a lot Lego can really do about pricing. They're in a damned if they do and damned if they don't situation.

In Australia, I'd consider toys >$100 for kids expensive, and there's a lot of sets that are well above that for Lego.

I don't have kids so it's hard to say what disposable cash I would have, but a $150 set would probably be a Christmas thing.

Ponn

Banned

That's the way it is really with most toy lines. Everyone wants the more expensive sets because they are bigger and cooler. I wanted Metroplex as a kid, I'd walk into a store and stare at the box the whole time my parents shopped. I'd leave with one of the $5 sea spray or cassette-cons. I got metroplex for Christmas though.

I feel it's important to remember that Lego isn't just one single theme either, it's multiple with licensed themes to boot. So for each theme you want that "metroplex" level Christmas set. There's a reason why you have specific Lego stores and they can stock them. The equivalent wouldn't be a Transformers store but a Hasbro store with all their different themes. It's easy to forget that perspective since Lego is a uniform toy format where as other toy companies aren't.

They don't release numbers, but I'd imagine that most sets sold are small ones. My childhood Lego bucket was formed from the smallest sets of many themes mixed into bucket of generic bricks. That only changed when star wars happened and I became my mother's excuse to buy everything.

Wait. I never really thought about that before.

No wonder she's never given my girlfriend and I crap over our nerd-toys hahaha.

Anyway, the big sets are probably whale-hunting, not the core of the business. 100 is a hefty price tag for a toy for sure. We just post in a bubble.

They don't release numbers, but I'd imagine that most sets sold are small ones. My childhood Lego bucket was formed from the smallest sets of many themes mixed into bucket of generic bricks. That only changed when star wars happened and I became my mother's excuse to buy everything.

Wait. I never really thought about that before.

No wonder she's never given my girlfriend and I crap over our nerd-toys hahaha.

Anyway, the big sets are probably whale-hunting, not the core of the business. 100 is a hefty price tag for a toy for sure. We just post in a bubble.

Yes and no really. It seems that bubble has grow, since even the chinese companies have gone whale-hunting. Of course small and medium sets are the core of the children audience but there is a lot of healthy adults that had grow with Lego and go for those big sets.

Ponn

Banned
New game trailer: https://youtu.be/XNB5DIOGGgc

How many are getting the figure?

Got my Switch deluxe version preordered as soon as it went up with 20% off. This is going to be such a weird holiday gaming season for me. Been a very long time it's been so dominated by Nintendo games for me with a Lego game sandwiched in between. It feels kind of warm and fuzzy again.

I'm wondering if the Inhumans is DLC though because that looked more like a DLC story campaign to me.

I'm not one to complain about price but even I can't afford all this LEGO. The price of the sets is fine, there's just too many of them. This year alone I've desired Assembly Square, the Falcon, Ninjago City, the Carousel, Old Fishing Store, the Saturn and BB-8 and now the Manor which is probably two grand's worth of LEGO. In one year!

There's no way I can get it all. This doesn't even count for all the other cool sets that I've liked this year, like the vehicles from TLBM, or CMFs, or Brickheadz, or Dimensions, or Creator stuff.

They're killin' me. This can't be sustainable, like, how long can AFOLs carry the company before they get totally disillusioned with it all?

Yeesh if that boba fett NYCC brickheadz is real

Resell value will be insane :(

Ninjago city vs joker manor vs Disney castle is what I'm deciding on for my final set of the year, hmmm

Top Bottom