• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

jacobeid

Banned
Then a huge improvement over plague. I tried playing more plague of shadows last night and I'm just done. The base game wasn't amazing as is, adding in a completely unwieldly character didn't help.

Eventually I got used to Plague Knight, but Specter Knight undoubtedly controls a lot better. Don't let the Plague Knight stuff turn you off from booting up this DLC.

The people who complain about plague knight movement are the worst. I'm hoping Specter Knight can keep up with him.
Agreed, Plague Knight was perfectly tuned and slick as hell with tons of bullety options. When people complain about Plague Knight... they admit how bad they are at learning how to control him.

robot

Was finally able to put Zelda down for a night and boot this up.

Shovel Knight has become one of my favorite games of all time, and this still managed to exceed my expectations. Between this and Plague of Shadows, Yacht Club continues to do an amazing job with these campaigns and making them feel like brand new games. I'm loving everything about this so far.

I can ride my scythe like a god damn skateboard! These guys are incredible.

taoofjord

Hating on people that don't like the way Plague Knight controls is pretty silly. It's different and not for everyone. I love it though and think they totally nailed what they were going for. I'm currently about halfway through that campaign and am really excited to dig into Specter's next.

duckroll

So I've beaten Plague Knight, King Knight, and Polar Knight so far. I'm really digging this but the combat, especially against mini-bosses and bosses are totally trivial. The diagonal home in dash attack totally breaks how the combat was originally designed, and even though they have gone to great lengths to totally change enemy patterns to account for that, it still feels REALLY easy so far. The platforming on the other hand is fucking brilliance. I'm enjoying most of the stages much more than the Shovel and Plague campaigns. I just hope that as it goes on, there will be at least one or two boss battles which really make me feel like I worked for it, rather than that feeling that I just managed to cheese the fight with the basic options I have.

TI82

Banned
I've beaten the entire right half of Specter Knight's campaigns. It's fun but he is TOO easy to fight things with. The challenge for him comes from some of the levels and his wall running making things really odd.

Fun though, can't wait to see how King Knight's campaign is.

Rodin

Finally bought the game (Treasure Trove, so i have all the packs) and this was me after beating the first level:

QosUkZu.gif

Holy shit i did NOT expect the game to be THIS good. Level design and controls are top tier old Capcom level, even the OST seems to be god tier. Beat level 2 and it was super amazing as well. I have yet to figure out how to increase my magic, the alchemist at the stand sent me to Cheshire but he didn't seem to have what i needed (EDIT: ok she had it). Are all the expansions as good as the base game? Cause holy fuck.

The game also looks absolutely fantastic on the Switch screen and the control stick is precise and responsive enough, this is the perfect platform to play it i think. Battery seems good as well with this game, i spoke to the old lady and she told me i played for 41 minutes, battery is currently at 91%.

Robin64

Specter Knight is an absolute joy to control. Chaining dashes together is really fun, and moving around the stages is so totally different to Shovel Knight.

I also used this game to gauge how well the Joycon "d-pad" replacement works, and I'm pleased to say it's actually not that bad. I played Shovel of Hope with it first, just because I can compare, and I was about as good as I usually am. No problems with it, so my fears about future 2D games (like Blaster Master today) on it have gone.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
How do you play co op? Trying to do so on switch atm and both me and my friend are just controlling the same person lol

On the file selection screen you click either + or - to activate co-op and then have each player press a button on their respective controller that they are using. Afterwards, just boot up the normal shovel knight file. Co-op only works on Shovel Knight's campaign

Skeletos311

I tore myself away from Zelda and played a few levels. I beat Mole Knight and Treasure Knight and played a flashback level. I'm actually finding this game easier than Shovel of Hope. I think the homing attack is really good and makes killing bosses easier than bouncing on them with the shovel.

Kouriozan

Found time to play it a bit and it's really amazing, I'm surprised to find the OT super slow but I everyone is just playing Zelda hahaha.

duckroll

Found time to play it a bit and it's really amazing, I'm surprised to find the OT super slow but I everyone is just playing Zelda hahaha.

Nah the main reason it is slow is that I think most fans already have the game and aren't double or triple dipping on the Switch. It hits other platforms next month unfortunately.

I played a few stages (Plague Knight, King Knight, Lich Yard) and I'd definitely say the bosses are easier than in Shovel of Hope (Shovel Knight). I replayed through Shovel of Hope and, while I didn't have much trouble with the bosses, they were a decent challenge at times, depending on the boss. The bosses were never really hard, but if I messed up royally, it usually affected me in Shovel of Hope. Not so much in Specter of Torment.

I've been enjoying the platforming and redesigned levels so far. Platforming was great in SoH, but SoT is even better. I've loved the remixed tunes as well. Jake "virt" Kaufman does it again! I'll probably hunker down and play through this bit by bit alongside Zelda like I've been doing with Shovel of Hope. I'll get to Plague of Shadows afterward so I can get back used to the control scheme. I shouldn't have too much trouble getting it down though.

It'll be interesting what King Knight (final campaign) will be like.

Arturo

Nah the main reason it is slow is that I think most fans already have the game and aren't double or triple dipping on the Switch. It hits other platforms next month unfortunately.

I have the 3DS version but I'm tempted to get the Switch one… Is it worth it just for the bigger screen alone?

DD

Hmm, do I have to play trough all 'Plague of Shadows' to unlock 'Specter of Torment'? Because even though I adored Shovel Knight's campaign, I tried to play Plague a few minutes ago and the gameplay didn't "clicked" on me. Add that to the fact that I'm not interested to play the same stages I had played with Shovel Knight and yadda yadda. Is there a way to unlock 'Specter of Torment' without playing the Plague?

duckroll

Almost at the end now. Finished the first part of the final stage. This really is a brand new game compared to Plague of Shadows.

Hmm, do I have to play trough all 'Plague of Shadows' to unlock 'Specter of Torment'?

No, when you start any new save file you pick the campaign you want to play.

DD

Almost at the end now. Finished the first part of the final stage. This really is a brand new game compared to Plague of Shadows.

No, when you start any new save file you pick the campaign you want to play.

Weird, I tried that, but no dice. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game from Gog. o_ô

Kouriozan

I did another level after completing Plague of Shadow, just so good.
Can't wait until the other versions get it too, so the OT will be more lively.

duckroll

I finished this yesterday. Overall I thought it was a blast. It's pretty much a pure action package with no world map or anything, but it also acts as a Shovel Knight prequel really well. Compared to how Plague of Shadows felt like a really good "what if" expansion pack, this feels like a full blown prequel, made on a budget. Not only is the level design practically brand new, but a lot of enemies and all the bosses have new patterns and attacks too. Great stuff.

Pros:
- Specter Knight has the best controls yet
- Really fun curios
- Best Shovel Knight storyline yet
- Pretty challenging platforming, especially for secrets
- Great optional challenge tower climbing minigame

Cons:
- Combat is a bit too easy because Flying Swallow the jump lockon slash can be abused so much
- I miss having the towns
- Exclusively launching first on a new platform isn't a great move

Took about 5 hours total. I didn't 100% it.

Hero

Beat Specter of Torment.

Pretty awesome, more combat oriented than either Shovel or Plague Knight. I actually think the story is a lot better than I expected going into it. Definitely makes me appreciate Shovel Knight even more!

Agree with duckroll, combat was almost too easy because of how abusive the homing/dive slash attack is. But yeah, the secret areas platforming had more challenging aspects.

All in all, great addition to Treasure Trove and happily double dipped on the Switch for this.

Credits spoilers (don't think they need to be but playing it on the safe side):

Seems like Nintendo // Club Mario helped out with development on this one? Or were they in the credits for Shovel Knight // Plague Knight as well?

ngower

I've only played about five hours of Shovel Knight and while I can see the fun in it (and had some myself) I did find myself a bit frustrated at times. I'm not sure Treasure Trove is appealing to me, so I'm trying to figure out which is the best to buy individually on Switch and it seems Specter of Torment is the only option. How easy is it to pick up and play if you're unfamiliar with some of the mechanics of the earlier games? Is it the best way to spend my money or should I just hold out for a Treasure Trove sale?

Hero

I've only played about five hours of Shovel Knight and while I can see the fun in it (and had some myself) I did find myself a bit frustrated at times. I'm not sure Treasure Trove is appealing to me, so I'm trying to figure out which is the best to buy individually on Switch and it seems Specter of Torment is the only option. How easy is it to pick up and play if you're unfamiliar with some of the mechanics of the earlier games? Is it the best way to spend my money or should I just hold out for a Treasure Trove sale?

Specter of Torment is a bit more combat oriented, at least IMO. It's about being more aggressive and there's some interesting platforming elements since he can run up walls to a degree. I would check out a video on YouTube or something to see if it's something you'd be into. For fans of SK I would highly recommend it but if you didn't dig the original I'd be hesitant recommending the expansions.

I finished this yesterday. Overall I thought it was a blast. It's pretty much a pure action package with no world map or anything, but it also acts as a Shovel Knight prequel really well. Compared to how Plague of Shadows felt like a really good "what if" expansion pack, this feels like a full blown prequel, made on a budget. Not only is the level design practically brand new, but a lot of enemies and all the bosses have new patterns and attacks too.
As someone who loved Plague this is wonderful to hear, thanks for sharing!

I finished this yesterday. Overall I thought it was a blast. It's pretty much a pure action package with no world map or anything, but it also acts as a Shovel Knight prequel really well. Compared to how Plague of Shadows felt like a really good "what if" expansion pack, this feels like a full blown prequel, made on a budget. Not only is the level design practically brand new, but a lot of enemies and all the bosses have new patterns and attacks too. Great stuff.

Pros:
- Really fun curios

Cons:
- Combat is a bit too easy because Flying Swallow the jump lockon slash can be abused so much

I still need to finish the final level, but I'd agree with your points for my play through. It definitely is shorter feeling than Shovel Knight's campaign since there's no towns and the game is very streamlined in terms of going to levels compared to Shovel Knight's map select. Platforming was better here since the curios seem to be more combat oriented than Shovel Knight's relics from my experience. I didn't really use the Hover Plume as I wanted to complete the platforming sections without the curios. Still some of the curios are overpowered in certain situations, just like Shovel Knight's relics. I'll probably try and finish it today after college.

Kouriozan

Finished the game with all red skulls, gonna aim for the achievements/challenges later.
It was really good, can't wait to see how King Knight will be.

sugarless

Just finished Specter and loved it. I liked Plague Knight a lot too and wasn't as down on it as some were but Specter is much better. Sure it's a bit easier, but I'm fine with a campaign more balanced to satisfying powerful-feeling combat with story elements after two fairly punishing campaigns in a row. I'm excited for the eventual King Knight campaign although I can't imagine how they can do a fourth unique gameplay style! It will probably make the money aspect a lot more central since he is a king and his stage is basically made of gold. Maybe you're trying to collect gold to build your castle and you can use it as a central mechanic of some kind, and you have to balance out, throwing coins and things as weapons with keeping your hoard till the end of the stage so you can add it to your big jar of money.

Spoiler talk regarding the ending of Specter Knight.
I found myself oddly touched by it and as the credits roll and you see the stages for each boss being set up for how you'll find them in Shovel Knight, it kind of reminded me of how it felt on the first watch of Star Wars Episode III, seeing things getting into place for the later parts we already know. A sort of sense of inevitability that felt almost tragic.

I have a story question though for others who finished. I got a bit muddled on things as it progressed.
So, Donovan is the one who becomes Specter Knight, and he has a sick son which is why he wants the locket power right? And Luan is his friend. Is Reize Luan's son? And when Specter Knight is seen laying the protective Phase Amulet in the chest where, as Shovel Knight, you will find it in the Lich Yard, he says something like, it will do its job at last. Is it implying Specter Knight is Shovel Knight's father? Or just that he wants to put it there to protect the hero who will be able to come and save Shield Knight, since he is only a bad guy under duress
?

jacobeid

Banned

Pros:
- Really fun curios

Cons:

I echo literally every single point here. My play time was also about 5 hours. Launching first on Switch didn't bother me, but I get why it rubs people the wrong way.

Overall I felt like the game was easier than Shovel of Hope, mostly because of the air slash. I think the only boss I had to fight twice was Propeller Knight because I entered the battle with one circle of will left, and I beat all of the others on the first try.

The storytelling is a huge improvement. Loved that aspect.

Kouriozan

Shovel Knight devs hint new Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight amiibo.

Source: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...miibo-and-the-lack-of-an-xbox-one-phy-1670268

Oh, so this is why Mario Club appears in the credit :

And although all of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove's localisation and game development took place in house, Nintendo also had a hand in testing the game for its home market, Japan. ”Mario Club [Nintendo's debugging subsidiary] helped with testing us in Japan, and they are truly a world-class testing team," remarks Velasco.

Hero

Just finished Specter and loved it. I liked Plague Knight a lot too and wasn't as down on it as some were but Specter is much better. Sure it's a bit easier, but I'm fine with a campaign more balanced to satisfying powerful-feeling combat with story elements after two fairly punishing campaigns in a row. I'm excited for the eventual King Knight campaign although I can't imagine how they can do a fourth unique gameplay style! It will probably make the money aspect a lot more central since he is a king and his stage is basically made of gold. Maybe you're trying to collect gold to build your castle and you can use it as a central mechanic of some kind, and you have to balance out, throwing coins and things as weapons with keeping your hoard till the end of the stage so you can add it to your big jar of money.

Spoiler talk regarding the ending of Specter Knight.
I found myself oddly touched by it and as the credits roll and you see the stages for each boss being set up for how you'll find them in Shovel Knight, it kind of reminded me of how it felt on the first watch of Star Wars Episode III, seeing things getting into place for the later parts we already know. A sort of sense of inevitability that felt almost tragic.

I have a story question though for others who finished. I got a bit muddled on things as it progressed.
So, Donovan is the one who becomes Specter Knight, and he has a sick son which is why he wants the locket power right? And Luan is his friend. Is Reize Luan's son? And when Specter Knight is seen laying the protective Phase Amulet in the chest where, as Shovel Knight, you will find it in the Lich Yard, he says something like, it will do its job at last. Is it implying Specter Knight is Shovel Knight's father? Or just that he wants to put it there to protect the hero who will be able to come and save Shield Knight, since he is only a bad guy under duress
?

Huh? Luan is the only one with a son.

Oh, so this is why Mario Club appears in the credit :

Yeah, I was wondering why they were in the credits. Cool to know!

Kinsei

Banned
Does this have new levels?

Almost all of the levels are brand new (with a few rooms being shared). The tutorial level is incredibly similar to the original's tutorial level but that's just to lull you into thinking the rest of the game will be that way.

Can't wait to play this! I liked Plague of Shadows, but not enough to finish it. The slow movement and unconventional attacks hampered my enjoyment. This new one seems much better.

Top Bottom