• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Finch |OT| Short Stories in a Tall Building

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
me, everyday
BvN5zCS.jpg

i got last post'd

The PC's voice is one of the worst voices I've ever heard in one of these first-person walking simulators. Is there an option to mute the voice volume?

Menome

Just finished this in one sitting this evening. Great stuff and definitely up there amongst the best of the walking simulators, though The Vanishing of Ethan Carter still holds the crown for me.

There was a grin on my face when I realised there was a connection with
The Unfinished Swan
and the section in the
bathtub
put to life one of my dream ideas for gaming: Performing normal gaming-actions, but in time to music. It's why I was looking forward to Harmonix's Chroma until it got put on hiatus.

Overall, it was a joy to go through in a bittersweet way and I'm quite glad they left
the central theme of the "family curse"
ambiguous, so it can either be a family with tragic luck, or something else underlying that we'll never know.

Marvellous stuff.

Wow, I'm just got to
Barbara
's story, and
the shift in art style and panel-by-panel presentation is really clever

Edit: the placement and use of text is so good in this. And I love how the devs have created such varied scenarios and moments with such simple set of controls and mechanics

This house is seriously one of the coolest game environments I've explored in quite some time

Wow, I'm just got to
Barbara
's story, and
the shift in art style and panel-by-panel presentation is really clever

Edit: the placement and use of text is so good in this. And I love how the devs have created such varied scenarios and moments with such simple set of controls and mechanics

This house is seriously one of the coolest game environments I've explored in quite some time
How did you find the Halloween theme music
? ;) Oh man, you're in for so much more! The house is labyrinthine, love the progression of the level design.

How did you find the Halloween theme music
? ;) Oh man, you're in for so much more! The house is labyrinthine, love the progression of the level design.
As soon as it started, I had a big grin on my face.

Just did
Sam's story. Using the perspective of the camera was just genius

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Intel i5, Intel HD 5500

Not sure what the game's engine is. UE4 usually runs poorly for me, but Unity tends to be fine overall

It's UE4. I realise you're already playing the game, but, yeah, the PS4 version is the one to go with if you don't have a 750 Ti or better.

Okay, that was brilliant. Reviews weren't kidding when they said this feels like the culmination and evolution of what the "walking sim" genre started as

Such incredible uses of tactile controls and perspective to tell its stories. My favorites were
Lewis
Barbara
, and
Gregory
, but they were all well done

And seriously, now that the genre is doing stuff like this, it really needs a new name. It would be like still calling FPSs "Doom clones" today

Okay, that was brilliant. Reviews weren't kidding when they said this feels like the culmination and evolution of what the "walking sim" genre started as

Such incredible uses of tactile controls and perspective to tell its stories. My favorites were
Lewis
Barbara
, and
Gregory

And seriously, now that the genre is doing stuff like this, it really needs a new name. It would be like still calling FPSs "Doom clones" today
I always liked narrative exploration games, because they tell you exactly what they are without sounding derogatory or pretentious.

ghostjoke

Banned
the reticle isn't enough? Not sure what that statement means.

The reticle (dot in middle) can help alleviate motion sickness by having a static object for the brain to focus on. It has not worked for me here. I looked through the files but couldn't find anything related to FOV. I'm okay with breaking the models (within reason) if I can bump up to FOV, otherwise I'm refunding. It seems cool, but I'm not playing it in bursts with recovery sessions of feeling like crap.

Chitown B

The reticle (dot in middle) can help alleviate motion sickness by having a static object for the brain to focus on. It has not worked for me here. I looked through the files but couldn't find anything related to FOV. I'm okay with breaking the models (within reason) if I can bump up to FOV, otherwise I'm refunding. It seems cool, but I'm not playing it in bursts with recovery sessions of feeling like crap.

OK. I didn't know what you meant by it's not enough. I've never heard of that being the case with motion sickness. Either it happens or not, from my experience. Sorry you're not feeling well.

I wish it was 60FPS. The performance sucks and the judder bugs me. Otherwise great game

ghostjoke

Banned
OK. I didn't know what you meant by it's not enough. I've never heard of that being the case with motion sickness. Either it happens or not, from my experience. Sorry you're not feeling well.

I wish it was 60FPS. The performance sucks and the judder bugs me. Otherwise great game

It can vary a lot for me - FOV, frame rate, judder, movement, points of reference. Sometimes it can be a mild something-isn't-right-here feeling, other times, like with this game, my stomach starts curdling. I didn't mean to come across aggressive towards you or the game, I just loath this feeling, especially when it's preventing me from enjoying something.

PaulloDEC

I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing the extremely narrow FOV. I'm not one of the folks who get sick or headachey from it, but it often felt like I had my nose pressed up against the scenery, even when I was trying to take a step back to admire it.

Lewis
Barbara
, and
Gregory

Yup, I also stated in my review how this felt like what Gone Home, Dear Esther, Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, and That Dragon Cancer were building towards where it isn't just you walking and listening to an audiobook.

I'm halfway through the family tree and so far I'm loving this so hard.

Unfinished Swan super mega falcon punched a very personal and sensitive spot in my heart and this game is like giving me a spooky fun hug.

God I wish it could last forever. I'd kill for a mini series adaptation or something with more back story for each family member and flash backs etc. Key word being adaptation...

This was a great experience. Think I was left a little cold with not finding out exactly how Edie went and what she wrote for Edith, but everything was supremely well done.

Probably gonna play through the unfinished swan now!

Can anyone tell me how long the game is? I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze it in this weekend and HowLongToBeat doesn't have any info on it yet. Feel free to spoiler tag it so as not to ruin it for others

Beautiful experience. There is so much worth praising - it's a game that starts and never stopped surprising me until the credits roll.

Lewis
Barbara
, and
Gregory

Someone proposed "light adventure" here a while back and I thought that fit nicely. The problem is that every review, and every discussion, inevitably uses the term walking simulator so you can't escape it.

Totally agree that WROEF (hoo that's a mouthful) is on a new level though, even just in terms of experiments with scenario design. Some of the sequences were like poems.

Chitown B

I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing the extremely narrow FOV. I'm not one of the folks who get sick or headachey from it, but it often felt like I had my nose pressed up against the scenery, even when I was trying to take a step back to admire it.

if I had to guess it might be so it can control what you see at any time.

I have a i3 6100 and GTX 950 - anyone play with a similar spec PC?

i3 6100 paired with R9 380 here, 60fps in most places expect in the beginning, all High (textures on Ultra), 1080p.

EDIT: Also finnished the game, my favorite sequence was Lewis, which for me is the most memorable and perfection in storytelling. Best "Walking Simulator" I've played so far, just insanely good.

Afro

Still waiting for that PC patch that gives us resolutions above 1080p. Also an FoV slider hopefully.

edit: 4K seems to work. I was mistaken.

Top Bottom