• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Obscure Games Would You Like to See Expanded On?

Shoeless

I would definitely be interested in seeing this get expanded on.

250px-RuleofRose.jpg

Ritzboof

i always gush about how badass stretch panic (aka hippa linda) and custom robo could be if they were remade to the max. the gimmick of stretch panic is just so amazing and its wasted on a boss rush, and custom robo is such a fun and captivating concept that needs more love and popularity to become esports material

gelf

Exhumed/Powerslave

Game was already like a proto Metroid Prime in Egypt so I'd complete this by moving away from the level based structure to a full Metroidvanian style world. The game already had areas in levels gated by new abilities so it's perfect for this.

Exhumed/Powerslave

Game was already like a proto Metroid Prime in Egypt so I'd complete this by moving away from the level based structure to a full Metroidvanian style world. The game already had areas in levels gated by new abilities so it's perfect for this.

I'll allow it.

Laws00

Trap Gunner

Bomberman Shmomerman... awesome set of traps, cool characters with their different melee attacks, smartly designed arenas, great split screen vs play, the Helldivers-esque input commands to disarm traps was slick, and the way you could set up rube goldberg sequences with different trap placements and launchers was amazing sometimes.

Very frantic, fun game that kept you on your toes. Would make an awesome local multiplayer and online multiplayer game in today's world, and would be easy enough to do with a nice, modest presentation.
SEARCHING FOR LOVEEEEEEEEEEE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUI1lf6gNfE

SPCTRE

I'm not sure that it qualifies as truly, utterly obscure, but I'd like to see another stab at Alpha Protocol.

TEJ

God Hand was near perfect, but an improved upon sequel would be appreciated.

Gun Valkyrie xbox, remember that? A sequel with better controls would be sweet.

Viewtiful Joe was also damn near perfect but I never liked any of the sequels. That being said, a Viewtiful Joe 3 would be greatly appreciated.

little kings story - gameplay was neat, they were on to something, but could definitely be expanded on

zack and wiki - the world, characters, and aesthetic were great...just change up the gameplay bit

pokemon snap - was already fun, but could be SO much better

Dryk

I played Gain Ground for the first time today and it's eclectic mix of top-down shooter and puzzle game has been blowing my fucking mind. I'd love to see someone else take a shot at something similar.

Moondrop

Banned
Heated Metal Warriors debate? Be still my heart.

On topic: Blast Corps for N64. We should be demolishing entire civilizations at this point.

AudioEppa

ps2_422.jpg

A sandbox adventure based on graffiti and political corruption. A game based on scrappy and environment combat. A game that felt like it had something to say.

Please. Somebody brings this IP back. The world will be OK with one less generic game like some of the shit I see get released..

ps2_422.jpg

A sandbox adventure based on graffiti and political corruption. A game based on scrappy and environment combat. A game that felt like it had something to say.

Please. Somebody brings this IP back. The world will be OK with one less generic game like some of the shit I see get released..

+1, I loved the fuck out of this game and have never played anything quite like it. Closest I can think of is a more po-faced version of the JSR storyline (culture/expression fighting an oppressive, competitive force taking over a city), with fighting replacing the skating. The tag customisation and smooth (for its time) climbing and stealth mechanics were great.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Certainly it's not per se obscure, but Call of Duty Ghosts is obscure within the Call of Duty ouevre generally. It was overlooked during the rush of the PS4/Xbone releases and had some launch game issues and multiplayer niggles. But it was a great campaign that ended on a cliffhanger, and I definitely want to know what happens.

RedSwirl

Winback 3.

Third person shooters are way more popular now than when the Winback games came out, and Winback is partially responsible.

Omega Force needs to do something other than Musou for a minute.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lost Kingdoms can be so mucg more with the new tech and experience from From Sotware

Killer 7 is so unique I wanna see the world expanded

Clive Barker's Jericho after that cliffhanger I need to see what else was meant to happen.

Clive Barker's Undying need more of that world

Resonance of Fate great potential for growth and I love the quirkiness of the cast.

Fighter's Destiny unique fighter with unique scoring systen that can be pretty great fleshed out.

Bloody Roar its just plain fun

Riviera: The Promised Lands I liked the point and click exploration and the combat system was pretty fun.

Kinyou

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

MObac5G.jpg

Still one of the most beautiful sci-fi games. It also had an interesting command system that felt more realistic than the usual RTS games that just rely on you pointing to an exact spot. Instead are the ships a lot more independent while you just order which types of weapons to use or what enemies to target etc.

The devs tried twice to crowdsource a sequel and unfortunately failed both times

There's even a trailer of a tech demo from 2006.

Loona

Live-a-Live

Its structure would be pretty great in the age of DLC, since it consists on playing through a number of mini-RPGs each in its completely different setting with unique mechanics (for example, in the sci-fi setting you can read people's minds, while in the pre-history one you can detect the presence of monsters around you by smelling the air around you, to help deal with random encounters).

Very recently I found that one of the Neptunia games referenced in in its true ending, but SE themselves barely acknowledge it, although it did get at least one of its track on on a Theathrythm game.

Sotha_Sil

Alpha Protocol. I would love to see Obsidian give it another try with some better production values. It had all the right concepts, just none of the execution.

The spy RPG has not been attempted since, to my knowledge.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers

250px-Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_-_The_Crystal_Bearers.png

The amount of optional stuff in this game is crazy. It's locked behind a 100 achievement-like system with multiple levels represented my medals.

There's all sorts of interactions possible the game. For example almost all NPC's have an emotion system. You can make a child happy by giving them a balloon or have young girls chase after you while holding a flower. It was never act used for anything in the main storyline.

ffcb2.jpg

The game had a very interesting and fun motion-combat system. Actually your telekinetic powers don't change from enemies to NPC's. There are all sort of weird possibilities.

If they just rereleased the game and had actual NPC dialogue and connected the medal system to NPC quests it would be really great.
I don't think Final Fantasy is obscure.

Base Wars

508939-base_wars_007.png
The fuck? This is a baseball game, but with robots?

Manzoon

Banned
Yesssssssssssssssssssss. I would love to have this concept, if not the IP itself, revamped as a modern sidescrolling action game with full online multiplayer. Being able to go in and out of mechs, having multiple mechs littered around a stage, the maze-like nature of the level design, especially for multiplayer. Omgggggggg.

Used to play the multiplayer all the time with my buds, winner stays on style. At the time we would have killed for a 4 player version.

I would pay good money for a revival of Moonbase Commander. It combines turn based Worms style projectile launching with base building, the game has some amazing cat and mouse moments as you try to obfuscate where your main hub is while also scouting and testing the defenses of your opponents.

The devs were working on a fantasy inspired sequel that never got released, but there is so much room to expand on this concept. A real physics engine, deformable terrain, and differentiating the factions would be amazing.

-shadow-

Not truly obscure, but still:

SI_Wii_EndlessOcean2_enGB.jpg

Seriously where the hell is the sequel!?

Since Phantom Dust has already been mentioned....

Pandora's Tower (Wii)

An often overlooked ARPG with a wonderful setting, great story, and satisfying combat. Would love to see what a follow up on the Switch could look like.

I wouldn't consider this a really obscure game due to the noise before the US release. But yeah I'd love a sequel. The absolute best 3D Castlevania game ever made, love most of the game but the padding towards the end can easily be rectified with a sequel.

Does Team Buddies count as obscure?

Holy shit! I've been looking for this game for nearly a decade and a half and not a single person who I ever described the game to ever understood what I meant. You're my hero!

aravuus

Holy shit! I've been looking for this game for nearly a decade and a half and not a single person who I ever described the game to ever understood what I meant. You're my hero!

Hahaha, sounds at least a bit obscure, then. Glad I could be of help!

Laws00

Oh damn, this is vintage. You should have posted this in the character select theme thread from the other day.

step 1.) search for love

step 2.) ???

step 3.) take them for a ride

Probably was at work while it occurred so i couldn't post lol

syncyes

I really want an Infinite Space remake where the space battles are visually amazing and you can run around a little more (i.e not entirely menu based) on the planets. And have a QUEST LOG!!! And don't have to repeatedly talk to your party in taverns 800 times to get all the dialogue.

I loved that game but it is one of the few games while I actively thought "oh man an HD fleshed out version of this game would be so cool!" while playing it.

Niwa

Lost Kingdoms can be so mucg more with the new tech and experience from From Sotware

Killer 7 is so unique I wanna see the world expanded

Clive Barker's Jericho after that cliffhanger I need to see what else was meant to happen.

Clive Barker's Undying need more of that world

Resonance of Fate great potential for growth and I love the quirkiness of the cast.

Fighter's Destiny unique fighter with unique scoring systen that can be pretty great fleshed out.

Bloody Roar its just plain fun

Riviera: The Promised Lands I liked the point and click exploration and the combat system was pretty fun.

I just thought about this game, it was really something else! The different times, the psychic abilities, the horror elements, very unique team mechanic and that fucked up ending? Man maybe nostalgia gets the best out of me but that game was overall pretty great.

Top Bottom