• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: NTDOY Q4 earnings report

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
Got AWDoR yet? I'd buy it, but then I could only play for... like, half a day before being shipped off to the actual armed forces.
Hold on now, let's not get too off-topic here. I like numbers and don't talk about them often enough. >_>

Sharp said:
Ugh, why does Nintendo do everything in 10000's. It makes reading those charts very confusing.
Considering this is Nintendo with their cost-cutting, penny-pinching measures, I almost feel like arguing that it's because they want to avoid wasting the ink on some extra 0s for any printouts they make of this data.

But joking aside, that can't possibly be it, and I'm also curious: what is the reas...

Cheesemeister said:
Because the company conforms to Japanese accounting practices. The main denomination of currency is 10,000 yen, or "man-en" (万円).
...oh. And that carries across to hardware and software figures as well?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Penguin said:
If my numbers are correct

Wii Worldwide has an attach rate of about 5.6
And in the Americas about 6.8

Not bad numbers considering the ones people usually quote.
second opinion, quick. are his numbers correct?!

OH MY GOD, ALL OVER MY TITS IF TRUE. such incredible vindication from 360 software sales-agers...

Christine

Jiggy37 said:
...oh. And that carries across to hardware and software figures as well?

It would be incredibly confusing to deal with any report that had both units and monetary amounts if you didn't have a single standard columnar notation.

Penguin

davepoobond said:
Nintendo uses shipped numbers now, right?

As far as hardware goes, I think Wii shipped is sold as those numbers pretty much match up to what we have or aren't too far off.

Chumly

davepoobond said:
I belive they always have for reports like these. This is for investors so they say blah blah blah weve sold X amount to stores.

Sharp

davepoobond said:
Based on the fact that Nintendo's Japan numbers match the Famitsu/MC sales, and it's not sold out there, I doubt it. Though it would make sense here.

Edit: Chumly says yes. I guess shipped = sold then.

Polari

Penguin said:
Well being that they have yet to release Smash anywhere.
Wii fit outside of japan.
And Mario Kart.
They are set really for sellers.

Though, I would like to know more about their line-up for 08. Especially Disaster.

Good point, but those games aren't going to sell 30 million between the three of them and they're forecasting 115 million for the year. Big, big numbers in other words. I'm guessing they'll drop the Animal Crossing bomb this year which will help and maybe Disaster's going to be more than we've been led to believe. It's been in development for a long time now.

Anyone know if that 115 million includes Virtual Console and WiiWare sales?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chumly said:
113 Million Units of software have been shipped to retailers (does NOT include bundled Wii Sports).

TwinIonEngines said:
113 million as of Dec 31.

Thanks, men.

Also, even if Wii sports was included, that's still 100 million on SW sales, which wouldn't be too bad at all.

Sharp

Polari said:
Good point, but those games aren't going to sell 30 million between the three of them and they're forecasting 115 million for the year. Big, big numbers in other words. I'm guessing they'll drop the Animal Crossing bomb this year which will help and maybe Disaster's going to be more than we've been led to believe. It's been in development for a long time now.

Do you think the Wii will sell less software this year than last year? Because otherwise 115 million seems pretty conservative to me.

Jiggy

Cheesemeister said:
Yes. Hardware and software are counted in units of 10,000 as you can see on the table in the OP.
Well, I saw that, but I was more wondering whether that part of it too was the standard for Japan.
But I think TwinIonEngines explained pretty well why that would have to be the case.

TwinIonEngines said:
It would be incredibly confusing to deal with any report that had both units and monetary amounts if you didn't have a single standard columnar notation.
Thanks. :D

dyls said:
Seriously. 30 million units by the end of March?? Obviously they're expecting big things out of SSBB, but that leaves an awful lot left.

edit: late night reading is no good.

re-edit: wait, I was right.

3m units

dyls

Polari said:

That forecast only goes through the end of this March. They've sold ~85 million pieces of software in the first 9 months of their fiscal year, they're expecting to sell a total ~115 million by the end of the fiscal year, March 31st.

30 Million pieces of software in a relatively slow part of the year. Pretty amazing if they do it, and considering how routinely they beat they're expectations these days, it's probably a lock.

Avrum

"This was a triumph...we're making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS!"

Blown away by the numbers here and I'm still perusing the document myself. Holy...

Penguin said:
If my numbers are correct

Wii Worldwide has an attach rate of about 5.6
And in the Americas about 6.8

Not bad numbers considering the ones people usually quote.
Not in line with NPD by a LONG shot. Something's not right there.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Penguin said:
As far as hardware goes, I think Wii shipped is sold as those numbers pretty much match up to what we have or aren't too far off.

i understand as much, but

Chumly said:
I belive they always have for reports like these. This is for investors so they say blah blah blah weve sold X amount to stores.

this sounds about right. No matter what, shipped will always be a little more than sold anyway. I'm more interested in their production rate than what they're sellin

Sharp

TheRipDizz said:
Does NPD actually release LTD attach rates frequently? We haven't even gotten an individual platform software top ten this month; the only reason we even suspect that Wii software outosld 360 software is some detective work by Wired and an off-the-cuff comment by Matt Cassassamassina. At any rate, shipped software is always going to exceed sold software by a certain amount, so it's not particularly telling either way.

Penguin

TheRipDizz said:
Maybe doing it wrong, but if reading right.

8,850,000 for hardware
60,900,000 for software

Which does seem oddly high.

Sharp said:
Does NPD actually release LTD attach rates frequently? We haven't even gotten an individual platform software top ten this month; the only reason we even suspect that Wii software outosld 360 software is some detective work by Wired and an off-the-cuff comment by Matt Cassassamassina.
They released them back in Nov if I'm not mistaken. Even if the Wii outsold the 360 software wise in Dec, which as you pointed out is not for certain, it would not change LTD attach rates all that much. Something is not right here.

Polari

Sharp said:
Do you think the Wii will sell less software this year than last year? Because otherwise 115 million seems pretty conservative to me.

It still suggests a pretty high attach rate. I'm not saying they won't reach it, rather reflecting on the fact that they must be pretty confident of the lineup for the year.

Sharp

TheRipDizz said:
They released them back in Nov if I'm not mistaken. Even if the Wii outsold the 360 software wise in Dec, which as you pointed out in not for certain, it would not change LTD attach rates all that much. Something is not right here.
Shipped != sold is true for Wii software, if not hardware. I certainly don't think Nintendo would bother to lie on their earnings report--besides its illegality, it's not like they need to.

Chumly

TheRipDizz said:
They released them back in Nov if I'm not mistaken. Even if the Wii outsold the 360 software wise in Dec, which as you pointed out is not for certain, it would not change LTD attach rates all that much. Something is not right here.
As its already been pointed out. Its shipped software and its correct.

perfectchaos007 said:
Has Nintendo won this gen yet?
Most assuredly. This should have been clear around March last year when the Wii was still not available in stores, or after that, during the 87K NPD month (which was epic), then in June, when the Wii was not available in stores, then in September, when the Wii was not available in stores and finally in December, when, well, you get the idea.

I have to say that the first time I saw the Wiimote unveiled (then the Revmote), I felt what the Hyksos warriors must have felt when they saw a wheeled chariot for the first time. So elegant, so daring and so genius, I felt that I was watching the future unfold before my very eyes. It was then that I knew that with this one idea, the undefeated armies of Egypt would be broken and a new age would dawn.

It was an epiphany. Gaming would never be the same ever again and it was exciting. Gaming could once again be fun, inexpensive and dare I say it? Mainstream. I do remember though, that my euphoria was short lived, since that was when the trolling began. The genius and outrageous potential of this idea was ridiculed and worse, ignored by the GAF hivemind. I began to have my doubts the future success of the idea in the face of mocking from tech-obsessed "hardcore gamers".

I held my opinion more or less constant, until Sony's E3 2006 press conference and the words "Five Hundred and Ninety Nine US Dollars" were uttered. My heart quailed, for I believed the PR about the PlayStation brand. The technology arms race had already priced me out of the 360, and if GAF was to be believed, the future consisted of hyper-powerful, too-expensive consoles with nothing of note on them but FPS games, sports and racing games.

If they believe this machine can sell at the price they are asking, I reasoned, then the potential of the Revolution would be lost forever. Apparently, no one wanted a less powerful console and certainly not one made by Nintendo. When they announced the name of the machine, I was almost certain the Wii was d00med.

But then the sales figures started rolling in. It makes me happy because it means that the "more of the same, but bigger and badder" attitude that had infected gaming since the PSX generation had given way to something new and fresh. Something that would take gaming out of its FPS rut and onwards into the future.

Sharp said:
Shipped != sold is true for Wii software, if not hardware. I certainly don't think Nintendo would bother to lie on their earnings report--besides its illegality, it's not like they need to.
Not suggesting they "lied" A simple playing with definitions could be in play.

As for motivation, is it not true they've been having to explain themselves alot as far as 3rd party software are concerned?

Sharp

TheRipDizz said:

As for motivation, is it not true they've been having to explain themselves alot as far as 3rd party software are concerned?
No. NTDOY investors don't care nearly as much about third-party software as GAF does. More to the point, Nintendo really hasn't spent much time defending third-party performance on the system--possibly because it actually seems to be pretty good. Anyway what "playing with definitions" did you have in mind? Do you think they included bundled Wii Sports games in the number after they explicitly disallowed it?

Sharp said:
No. NTDOY investors don't care nearly as much about third-party software as GAF does. More to the point, Nintendo really hasn't spent much time defending third-party performance on the system--possibly because it actually seems to be pretty good. Anyway what "playing with definitions" did you have in mind? Do you think they included bundled Wii Sports games in the number after they explicitly disallowed it?
VC games? I dunno. I was just throwing something out there to explain the vast difference between these numbers and NPD. Turns out they are printed and shipped. Ok, I see.

mr_bishiuk said:
Exactly, there must be millions of pieces of wii software held by retailers all over the world
As per any console. I dunno why people decided to latch onto it in this thread though. Wii mania. Yay.

Chumly

TheRipDizz said:

In december the Wii had 15 third party titles in the top 100 games all selling over 100k. The Xbox 360 only had 18 total titles including Halo3. Third parties bomba on the 360?

Rolf NB

Kenka said:
It just can't be...I mean everybody claims that Wii software doesn't sell. So how in the world do we get such a smack in the face ?
Believing everything that everybody claims can quite easily cause smacks in the face, figuratively speaking.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I don't quite understand the graph, does Nintendo believe that they are going to sell over 1 million new copies worldwide of new titles in this fiscal year? What GC games are coming out this year?

Same with GBA, I thought Nintendo was done with it.

toxk_02

Black Republican
AlteredBeast said:
I don't quite understand the graph, does Nintendo believe that they are going to sell over 1 million new copies worldwide of new titles in this fiscal year? What GC games are coming out this year?

Same with GBA, I thought Nintendo was done with it.
You're looking at Gamecube software right? That's what they sold April 2007 - December 2007: 3 million GC games in America and 1 million in the rest of the world just in new titles. Stuff like Pixar and Disney movie games.

edit: just follow the column with the '3' and the '1' straight up to the heading.

medrew

Polari said:

Wii Sports (for all regions) is included in 8 months of the forecast so that's ~10 million accounted for right there

Software forecast figures do include quantity bundled with hardware for the results ended December 31, 2007, however,
software forecast figures in and after January 2008 do not include quantity bundled with hardware.

Neo C.

Cheesemeister said:
Because the company conforms to Japanese accounting practices. The main denomination of currency is 10,000 yen, or "man-en" (万円).
It's because Asian people (at least Chinese and Japanese) count that way.

Western practice: 1'000, 1'000'000 (1'000*1'000), 1'000'000'000 etc.

Eastern practice: 1'0000 (chinese: màn), 1'0000'0000 (1'0000*1'0000, chinese: yì)) etc.

The infamous banned site has strikingly close LTD numbers for the DS and Wii and even by region. Not bad for a site with bullshit software numbers.

apujanata

BishopLamont said:
The infamous banned site has strikingly close LTD numbers for the DS and Wii and even by region. Not bad for a site with bullshit software numbers.

Is it possible that they change it 5 minutes ago ?
Or is it possible they are copying NeoGAF consensus ?
Maybe they can predict well on H/W, but not on S/W ?
Just throwing some idea why the answer is close to the #.

Innotech

Banned
Holy fuck. From third place last gen and only selling 21 million over 5 years, to absolute first place and 20 million in a bit over a YEAR...Wiizus CHRIST. rising to Heaven confirmed over and over.

Britprog

So from Oct to Dec 07 Wii sold:

Japan 1.32 Million
America 3.39 Million
ROTW 2.26 Million

Wii's weakest region is Japan :lol

apujanata said:
Is it possible that they change it 5 minutes ago ?
Or is it possible they are copying NeoGAF consensus ?
Maybe they can predict well on H/W, but not on S/W ?
Just throwing some idea why the answer is close to the #.
Nah it's been like that before this report, I check it frequently to compare it to how far off they are to NPD/MC. Copying NeoGAF could be right since the owner use to browse this forum.

Top Bottom