• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

BTA

...it says mine will arrive Monday but I'm nowhere near done CxM and also don't have the time this weekend to finish it aaaahhhhhh

Gradon

Okay so, I vowed I wouldn't come to this thread since January and removed it from my subscriptions until I finished V3 because someone spoiled V3 for me in this very thread.

Since January I had a 1 killer, 2 survivors and the
mastermind
spoiled for me thanks to YouTube. I genuinely think YouTube is the most detrimental site for this series, it's unbelievable how the only video I watched was the Demo and had an onslaught of spoilers.

Anywho, since finishing V3 I have to say that I believe it to be the best of the series. I'm very happy with it overall and I adored every second of it.

GLuigi

I just got home and found my V3 copy waiting for me at my door. Super excited to get started on this!

gXgh7xm.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, I might get my LE tomorrow since tracking says it's already at my local post office. First Metroid, now getting this a day early has been great.

Zeroro

DR1 finished. On to 2...

I'm of the opinion that 2 has a stronger cast, setting, and soundtrack (well, that one's a little obvious since it builds off of the existing soundtrack) than 1, so enjoy!

I've got a feeling that V3 might end up being my new favorite entry in the series over 2; can't wait to finally play it this coming Friday.

Holy crap, I might get my LE tomorrow since tracking says it's already at my local post office. First Metroid, now getting this a day early has been great.

Lucky, mine only says on its way and estimated arrival for Tuesday. Would be nice if I got it tomorrow since I have the day for work, but not on Tuesday... Oh well, gives me time to finish Ys VIII.

BTA

I've decided I can't resist playing tomorrow if it arrives. I'll just play the last route of CxM alongside it; there's no point in putting it off. I usually like playing only one VN at a time but that's not too big of a deal, especially if I'm playing CxM on my commute and V3 at night.

It's weird to think it's out in the next day or so.

crmetteer

So I should avoid the D3 anime, right? I really enjoyed 1 and 2 and am hyped for V3. Should I just read a summary for 3 or does it matter at all for V3?

BTA

So I should avoid the D3 anime, right? I really enjoyed 1 and 2 and am hyped for V3. Should I just read a summary for 3 or does it matter at all for V3?

It shouldn't matter at all.

I'm not gonna say it's not worth watching (and I'm also the type of person who would watch it to feel like I saw the full story even if I went in knowing that), but it's pretty bad so you might as well just not think about it entirely.

Zeroro

I've decided I can't resist playing tomorrow if it arrives. I'll just play the last route of CxM alongside it; there's no point in putting it off. I usually like playing only one VN at a time but that's not too big of a deal, especially if I'm playing CxM on my commute and V3 at night.

It's weird to think it's out in the next day or so.

I still vividly remember staying up super late to see the very first teaser trailer they put out in December of 2015, feeling fucking terrible the morning after when I had to go to class, but also thinking it was worth it. Been a long time coming!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I made it through half of both Future & Despair since neither were really doing anything for me + all the negative reactions. Maybe I should finish it just to see why it gets the backlash from fans.

I tried to tell my friend he should play the game instead of the 12 episode anime since it's on PS4 now & the anime rushes through things way too quickly, but he's not much of a VN person (he's not sure about Ace Attorney or the Zero Escape series) & would rather watch the anime instead of taking hours & hours to beat the game when his time is limited.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wooooooo got my LE. Kind of laughed at the fact the LE box has a "FOR PORTABLE DEVICE" sticker on it.

...it seems the pre-order CD doesn't have a special case & just has a generic paper case, hate when they do that. Also, I don't think the Vita patch for the sound quality is up yet, guessing it'll hit tomorrow.

Pre-order CD listing:

1. Danganronpa V3
  2. Exisal Tribe
  3. New A.A. (Ch. 1)
  4. Beautiful Life (Loop)
  5. V3 Debate -Break-
  6. Season of Despair
  7. Class Trial: Space Edition
  8. Hangman's Gambit Ver 3.0
  9. Living in a Lazy Parallel World (Loop)
  10. New A.A. (Ch. 3)

As for the LE CD:

1. Danganronpa V3 (OP)
  2. V3 Gallery Music
  3. DANGANVEGAS
  4. Beautiful Life (Full)
  5. Hope Searching
  6. Despair Searching: Virtual World
  7. New Classmates of the Dead
  8. Nightmare in the Locker
  9. Mr. Monokuma's Lesson V3
  10. Mr. Monokuma After Class V3
  11. Rise & Shine, Ursine!
  12. Moon on the Water
  13. Heartless Journey
  14. Living in a Lazy Parallel World (Full)
  15. Killing Game Completion Ceremony
  16. Let's Start the Killing Game
  17. Clair de Lune - Suite Bergamasque
  18. V3 Argument -Hope VS Despair-
  19. Debate Scrum
  20. Closing Argument V3
  21. Battle with True Despair
  22. Climactic Re-enactent V3
  23. New World Order V3
  24. Salmon Fishing

Can take any pics of the LE items if anyone's interested.

BTA

Ugh, right, I forgot about the voice DLC.

Do we know what it'll be like if we start tonight? I'm worried about it being a having to start over thing like UDG's voice DLC was. I'm guessing it wasn't like that in Japan but who knows.

Worst case I'll just not play till tomorrow; that might happen as is depending on how long the rest of the CxM route I want to finish first is.

FluxWaveZ

Definitely not getting two copies of the game. Undecided between Vita and PS4, though. PS4 definitely looks better and, at least before any patch, sounds better. But the portability would be real neat...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ugh, right, I forgot.

Do we know what it'll be like if we start tonight? I'm worried about it being a having to start over thing like UDG's voice DLC was. I'm guessing it wasn't like that in Japan but who knows.
I checked & I wasn't given any patch prompt for the Vita version, so we might have to wait until tomorrow or tonight.

I turned the voices to max in the options, sounds a bit better than the demo? Not by much, but I seem to notice a slight difference.

Also, uh, I guess spoilers in the opening video basically showing off each game & the anime, which if you haven't played the previous titles, you're going to see a spoiler death or two.

Edit: Looks like smacking things will get you Monocoins, which seems to make grinding for coins much easier?

BTA

Oh, huh.

Wondering about what the opening video will be, then. Suddenly not really annoyed about that being a spoiler or anything at this point but my curiosity is intensifying.

Weird to know that it's at my apartment now and within the next 8 hours or so I'll be starting this ride.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
YIKES, now that I'm in an actual cutscene, I can tell the voices still sound muffled, & there's no music playing to help hear that.

Oh, huh.

Wondering about what the opening video will be, then.

Weird to know that it's at my apartment now and within the next 8 hours or so I'll be starting this ride.
I feel like it was a previously shown trailer of "hey, here's all the previous entries in the series, but NOW A NEW KILLING GAME HAS BEGUN"

Did your hat have this "wear & tear" look on the bill of the hat?
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I figured it was just part of the design considering the game.

Also damn, some cutscenes look really compressed, starting to wish I went with PS4 now. Might just need to look them up on Youtube later on or hope the patch will make them look better.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Playing the demo I hope I'm not the only that didn't like the sound Mixing with the voices being drowned a bit by the music
It was a reoccurring theme in the demo thread & NISA said there'd be a patch to fix it at launch, similar to Japan. It's probably only in the full game because some of us got our copies early.

Also, here's the description for the item you get for having the demo save data:
"A brush for painting nails beautifully. With this, anyone can make their nails sparkle like magic. You can give it away, but something good might happen if you keep it.
I recall the "event" for having said item is suppose to happen within the first chapter, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

BTA

YIKES, now that I'm in an actual cutscene, I can tell the voices still sound muffled, & there's no music playing to help hear that.

I feel like it was a previously shown trailer of "hey, here's all the previous entries in the series, but NOW A NEW KILLING GAME HAS BEGUN"

Yeah, I was wondering about that as well. I figured it was just part of the design considering the game.

Also damn, some cutscenes look really compressed, starting to wish I went with PS4 now. Might just need to look them up on Youtube later on or hope the patch will make them look better.

Yeah I was worried about compression after the demo. Kinda sucks and it'll be annoying to deal with but I'd rather be able to play in bed/on the train than not, and I'm not super into the idea of double dipping even if there is cross save...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess a quick heads up for those who got the Point Blank ability from the demo, you'll need to be level 8 to be able to equip it. I honestly might just tape the L button & my analog stick to grind levels again like in the demo.

Just glad that they made it so running gives you the same amount of experience as walking so you're not having to walk everywhere to earn more XP compared to running like in DR2.

Sölf

Bought Another Episode again on Steam, bless the shooter controls with mouse & keyboard. I will finish this and the DR 3 anime first and then start with V3, even if I will be 1-2 weeks late or something like this.

While I am on the subject, I've finished chapter 3 in AE after ~10 hours, how far into the game am I? ~50%?

Also, for the DR 3 anime, what was the watch order again?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I don't recall an "order", but basically, Future = the ending of the DR1 + 2 story, Despair = prequel to DR2. Each episode was released at the same time, so I guess you could alternate between an episode of Future, then Despair, or just watch all 12 episodes before going to the other.

If I remember, you should be about or past the halfway point of UDG if you're at chapter 4.

& omg Miu is even better than the demo let on, easily gonna be the first character I fully max out.

BTA

I don't recall an "order", but basically, Future = the ending of the DR1 + 2 story, Despair = prequel to DR2. Each episode was released at the same time, so I guess you could alternate between an episode of Future, then Despair, or just watch all 12 episodes before going to the other.

If I remember, you should be about or past the halfway point of UDG if you're at chapter 4.

& omg Miu is even better than the demo let on, easily gonna be the first character I fully max out.

Gonna have to say that this is very bad advice. Absolutely do not watch the arcs separately. There is a very specific order to them and it is indeed alternating. They were not released at the same time; they just aired twice a week, several days apart, Future before Despair.

The numbering system is obnoxious (especially since, IIRC, the official stream of them has the arcs separated) but you are 100% absolutely intended to watch Future 1, Despair 1, Future 2, Despair 2, etc. When you watch them alternating, episodes directly lead into each other. Each episode sets up things in the next episode you watch. You'll be making the show even worse if you deviate from this.

Puruzi

Banned

The episodes didn't come out at the same time. It was Future -> Despair -> Future -> Despair etc

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My bad, that's what I meant by "at the same time", they were airing both arcs close together instead of airing one arc, then airing the other one once the previous one finished. Should've been more specific.

But yeah, alternate between Future & Despair since that's how it aired on TV in Japan.

The numbering system is obnoxious (especially since, IIRC, the official stream of them has the arcs separated) but you are 100% absolutely intended to watch Future 1, Despair 1, Future 2, Despair 2, etc. When you watch them alternating, episodes directly lead into each other. Each episode sets up things in the next episode you watch. You'll be making the show even worse if you deviate from this.
Not to mention they're selling the arcs on DVD separately, so you'll have to go to Funimation's site & alternate since they also separated the episodes by their arcs.

......at least this isn't as confusing as when there was about 4 different damn episode orders for Haruhi Suzumiya.

BTA

My bad, that's what I meant by "at the same time", they were airing both arcs close together instead of airing one arc, then airing the other one once the previous one finished. Should've been more specific.

But yeah, alternate between Future & Despair since that's how it aired on TV in Japan.

Not to mention they're selling the arcs on DVD separately, so you'll have to go to Funimation's site & alternate since they also separated the episodes by their arcs.

......at least this isn't as confusing as when there was about 4 different damn episode orders for Haruhi Suzumiya.

Hah, Haruhi came to mind for me too.

Though that's sorta simple in practice. There's broadcast order of season 1, chronological order of season 1 (how I watched it originally, which did mess with pacing weirdly), chronological order of both seasons, and then whatever mess you create trying to get season 2 to slide into broadcast order.

...I may have made a custom order for showing it to friends while procrastinating last year. I'll probably never actually show it to them, but it was interesting to figure out a way to preserve broadcast order with season 2 included. I rewatched it several years ago with people over Skype in a similar way so that was a good start, but since that was essentially 2 episodes a night some things would be paced better for that than theoretically just watching a few more than that whenever people got together.

GSR

So, uh, is anyone doing the OT? I haven't had a chance to search this thread, but it's not claimed in the OT OT.

I can throw one together tonight if need be, though it won't be anything fancy.

ShyMel

So, uh, is anyone doing the OT? I haven't had a chance to search this thread, but it's not claimed in the OT OT.

I have only seen people ask if anyone is doing the OT, so I think it's still up for grabs.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm too scared to look up voice actors, but...

1.) Is Monokid voiced by Patrick Seitz? Sounds like him.
2.) Uh, wow, so...not sure if people already knew, but Monokuma got a new voice that's higher pitched. I didn't really notice in the demo, but I can really tell now.

Zeroro

I'm too scared to look up voice actors, but...

1.) Is Monokid voiced by Patrick Seitz? Sounds like him.
2.) Uh, wow, so...not sure if people already knew, but Monokuma got a new voice that's higher pitched. I didn't really notice in the demo, but I can really tell now.

Wait, it's not Brian Beacock? It did sound slightly different to me, but I just assumed it was because it had been a while since he had voiced Monokuma. Weird that he didn't reprise the role if that really is the case.

Also, whoever voiced Monokid did a bang-up job.

NotLiquid

I didn't notice the post in this thread and claimed it about half an hour ago in the OT OT. I can get a topic up in about an hour and it's mostly going to be images from the US website but if you'd rather do it let me know.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finished the prologue & into Ch. 1 now, so I'll be more careful with what I talk about in terms of quotes & such.

....though omg, Miu continues to have some amazing dialogue.
"An important hole near some bush!? Sounds familiar, am I right ladies!?

Gradon

Wait, it's not Brian Beacock? It did sound slightly different to me, but I just assumed it was because it had been a while since he had voiced Monokuma. Weird that he didn't reprise the role if that really is the case.

Also, whoever voiced Monokid did a bang-up job.

Brian Beacock does do Monokuma, but he seems to have been directed to use a higher pitched voice. I got used to it by the end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
....oh no....

...the hidden monokumas are back, & I don't see anyway of knowing which ones you've already collected or how many are in a chapter....

Sölf

For the Monokuma voice, my take on that would be since the japanese voice actress died and Monokuma got a new voice, they may have decided to also change his english voice.

Top Bottom