• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
A huge advantage to me of iTunes sorting is that bundled titles are separate. I can’t stanf how VUDU treats that stuff, it’s asinine

I was checking over my TV seasons on VUDU, and it's also annoying. I hate how they list all available seasons, instead of ones you own. For example I have Game of Thrones S2-6 (S1 blu didn't come with a code at the time), but it still lists GoT S1-7, and you have to click on each of them to see what you actually own. I also have Breaking Bad complete, but for some reason a single episode didn't connect to the season, so beside my bundle I have "S4 ep 13" randomly (and ugly) beside it :/

I was checking over my TV seasons on VUDU, and it's also annoying. I hate how they list all available seasons, instead of ones you own. For example I have Game of Thrones S2-6 (S1 blu didn't come with a code at the time), but it still lists GoT S1-7, and you have to click on each of them to see what you actually own. I also have Breaking Bad complete, but for some reason a single episode didn't connect to the season, so beside my bundle I have "S4 ep 13" randomly (and ugly) beside it :/

I bought the John Hughes collection, which included Ferris Bueller, Pretty in Pink, and Some Kind of Wonderful. If I search my library for any of those movies, there are no results, it only exists as the John Hughes collection. Then I have to open that link to see those movies. Just split it up, damn.

I was also turned off by how they sold two versions of the movie, one with extras and one without, for the longest time, and may even still be doing it I haven’t checked. How does that even happen.

In any event, things are all good now on iTunes, a thing least in regards to those two issues

oatmeal

Banned
Signed up today. I have nearly 400 movies in my Apple account. Am I to believe that I can now start getting UV movies and watching their films on my Apple TV?

Ashhong

Ok so I went through all of my blurays and got out the codes. A lot of them are digital copy codes that are accompanied by a DVD. Is there anyway to redeem it without using the DVD? Does that just put a MP4 file onto my computer and irrelevant to Moves Anywhere?

The_Kid

I kind of feel dumb for choosing Flixster way back when instead of Vudu, so many movies I’ll never look at again. X3

Ashhong

Also, iTunes is the best one to pick if given the option right? I want the free 4k updates. And what do I do about the Ultraviolet codes?

So I think I have the same issue someone else was mentioning, where I go to disconnect (or connect) my iTunes account and my AppleID has nothing listed where it normally does, so MoviesAnywhere says they're connected but iTunes shows no signs of that, and I can't do anything about it.

Mac and iPhone, both don't show a MoviesAnywhere authorization where there was one like, earlier today

It's empty. The weird part is I can't unlink iTunes from Movies Anywhere...even though they aren't actually linked.

Guess I'll call tomorrow.

Oh hey, I guess it's you. Yeah, exact same problem. I wonder if Apple took the authorization offline due to issues? Can anyone else just check their AppleID settings and verify?

TimFL

Hope this comes to europe sooner rather than later. Any details on when we might see the service expand to other regions?

J-Skee

For anyone that has purchased a 4K movie on iTunes: does it also show 4K in Google Play or Vudu? Been trying to figure this out for a while & don't have a clear answer.

TimFL

Once I got passed registration using VPN, the service works outside of the US.
What about localized content? I have loads of movies that only come with the german dub.
Would be willing to try this if it doesn‘t mean I miss out once the service launches here eventually (hopefully).

For anyone that has purchased a 4K movie on iTunes: does it also show 4K in Google Play or Vudu? Been trying to figure this out for a while & don't have a clear answer.
Probably not cause iTunes does not distinguish between HD and 4k (it‘s the same version for the same HD price).

Seems to be a bit laggy, I guess. I got two new digital movies since I connected the accounts, but Lego Batman isn't showing up on Vudu yet and Drive isn't showing up on Movies Anywhere.

What about localized content? I have loads of movies that only come with the german dub.
Would be willing to try this if it doesn‘t mean I miss out once the service launches here eventually (hopefully).

Probably not cause iTunes does not distinguish between HD and 4k (it‘s the same version for the same HD price).
My iTunes account is American, so I couldn’t say.
Seems to be a bit laggy, I guess. I got two new digital movies since I connected the accounts, but Lego Batman isn't showing up on Vudu yet and Drive isn't showing up on Movies Anywhere.
My UV copy of Drive showed up.

But Mad Max: Fury Road appeared in my iTunes library and disappeared shortly after. No sign of The Nice Guys.

That would explain it. Got it from Sony's free movie promo, though.

I actually had to disconnect and reconnect my VUDU account to my MA account force my Sony promo copy of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to show up on MA. It still hasn’t moved to iTunes because something super weird is going on with iTunes integration right now, but it did go to Amazon so I know it’s working

In the future you shouldn’t have to manually resync like that a lot, but while servers are exploding it’s handy

DeviantBoi

I had 4 movies on my iTunes account (Scott Pilgrim, Basterds, Hugo, and one more). They're not showing up on my MA account and the five movies from MA are not showing up on iTunes.

The link did work with Amazon, though I didn't have any movies there, but the MA free movies do show up in my Amazon videos.

J-Skee

Hmm, now I wonder what happens if I purchase a 4K movie on Vudu, will it show up on Google Play as 4K & vice versa. I hate testing things like this that requires money, but there doesn't seem to be a real answer otherwise.

sensui-tomo

signed up around 1ish yesterday and so far nothing has transfered to or from itunes, (the lord of the rings extended trilogy) or does nothing show up on the pc version of itunes?

Hmm, now I wonder what happens if I purchase a 4K movie on Vudu, will it show up on Google Play as 4K & vice versa. I hate testing things like this that requires money, but it doesn't seem to be a real answer otherwise.

All of my Vudu 4k movies have shown up as 4k on Google. I don't own any Vudu 4k exclusive movies

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
While my Google Play and Vudu accounts are now populated with movies from each other, it seems a bunch of movies from my Google Play account are now missing completely, including ones that I had downloaded to my phone. Inside Out and Zootopia are two that I notice immediately, there may be more.

Edit: Also Monsters, Inc. Seems to be mostly Pixar stuff gone.

Nipo

Hmm, now I wonder what happens if I purchase a 4K movie on Vudu, will it show up on Google Play as 4K & vice versa. I hate testing things like this that requires money, but it doesn't seem to be a real answer otherwise.

i purchased 4k movies on google play and they now show up as 4k in Vudu. 4k movies from vudu also show up as 4k on google play (if google offers the movie in 4k)

Gestault

Used a completely different browser with no cookies and still the same error :(

This account cannot be migrated. Please choose a different account to migrate.

me too.

im just going to try again tomorrow. I just want to carry over the vaulted stuff I have in DMA. Even if migrating never works, the movies are in itunes and should pop over whenever that works for me.

I'm still having this issue. Bummer.

Cheebo

Banned
Hope this comes to europe sooner rather than later. Any details on when we might see the service expand to other regions?
I am fairly sure that UV and Disney Movies Anywhere which this is a sort of merged successor to has always been America only.

Things may change though!

reKon

Banned
This is the best part. Amazon doesn't stream HD on my computer (HDCP issue it claims, but other services have no issue). Now I can watch everything from Google Play.

This is legit an amazing step forward.

I'm annoyed now because I just really that all my movies actually aren't at one place. It seems that Wreck it Ralph was removed from all of my libraries... So I'm gonna to have to contact them about this? Kill Bill, Interstellar, Star Trek, and Django are on all on VUDU, but not Google Play (I think this makes sense since not all the studios are on board, but why didn't Interstellar transfer?).

I'm most annoyed about actually having a film removed.

Edit: The film doesn't even show up in my DMA account or as a $0.00 purchase in my Google Play account. Can't find any email confirmation too. The way it worked was that if you link your DMA and Google Play account, you got Wreck it Ralph for free. I guess it was never truly "free". Fuck that.

jim2011

I was excited about this until I found out that movies outside of those bought/redeemed in iTunes only output at 1080p. If all movies going forward have a digital copy that gets redeemed with Movies Anywhere and does not give me the 4k version in iTunes (even if it's a 4K bluray), I will be very disappointed. At least right now those that can be redeemed in iTunes are 4k.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ok so I went through all of my blurays and got out the codes. A lot of them are digital copy codes that are accompanied by a DVD. Is there anyway to redeem it without using the DVD? Does that just put a MP4 file onto my computer and irrelevant to Moves Anywhere?

Not that I found. I had the same thing with Rise of the Planet of the Apes and there was NO WAY to redeem the code without the DVD..

Also, iTunes is the best one to pick if given the option right? I want the free 4k updates. And what do I do about the Ultraviolet codes?

from what I've found... if its an SD copy, redeem it on somewhere OTHER than your main viewing retailer. MA "should" give you an HD copy on your main retailer's account. If that means you now get an HD copy on iTunes, it will be an "HD+" copy like we were previously discussing if there is a 4K version available.

if it's an HD digital copy, yes redeem it on iTunes. That WILL get you the 4K copy when available.

No it doesn't. What I would like to know is the reverse. Has anyone bought 4K on Vudu or Google and have the 4K version available on iTunes?

How would this not quite 1080p, not quite 4K resolution even work on the AppleTV 4K? Would that mean that there's some file out there Apple has that's encoded at that weird in between resolution?

reKon

Banned
Not that I found. I had the same thing with Rise of the Planet of the Apes and there was NO WAY to redeem the code without the DVD..

from what I've found... if its an SD copy, redeem it on somewhere OTHER than your main viewing retailer. MA "should" give you an HD copy on your main retailer's account. If that means you now get an HD copy on iTunes, it will be an "HD+" copy like we were previously discussing if there is a 4K version available.

if it's an HD digital copy, yes redeem it on iTunes. That WILL get you the 4K copy when available.

Oh shit. When you say 4k, you mean it will be available on other services or just iTunes?

borghe

Oh shit. When you say 4k, you mean it will be available on other services or just iTunes?

on itunes, HD purchases/redemptions are automatically upgraded to 4K when that version is made available. On other services (for the time being) 4K purchases are separate from HD versions, so if you redeem an HD copy on those, you won't get the 4K version.

borghe

How would this not quite 1080p, not quite 4K resolution even work on the AppleTV 4K? Would that mean that there's some file out there Apple has that's encoded at that weird in between resolution?

Apple steps through resolutions as it starts the movie to account for buffering. The 22##x9## resolution is one of those steps. So on a normal 4K movie it will start at 1080p, then go to like 1200p, then finally 2160p. On these "second entitlements" (or whatever it was apple calls them) it stops at that second step. The potential is that if you get an HD copy on iTunes through MA, you might not get the 4K version. It may be limited to 1200p HDR. We are still awaiting confirmation from apple.

However if you redeem an HD copy directly on apple, then you WILL get the 4K version when available.

Linkark07

Banned
After this I finally realized I need to get a VPN. So annoying this is only for US residents.

At least managed to make an account and unify my entire libraries. Shame Paramount isn't on board though; have some of their movies in VUDU.

Well, checked iTunes this morning. No movies and still no MA section in the My Account details. It's not a huge deal for me as I didn't have any movies exclusive to my iTunes account but I still like to see things working properly even when I won't use them.

Toy story of terror, it was in my DMA Movies.

I'm missing that as well but technically it is not a movie and it's clear that TV Shows and possibly all non-movies aren't covered by this service. But since DMA is going away, you would think it would at least transfer into MA, even if it didn't flow out to other services.

Stanng243

Well, checked iTunes this morning. No movies and still no MA section in the My Account details. It's not a huge deal for me as I didn't have any movies exclusive to my iTunes account but I still like to see things working properly even when I won't use them.

I'm missing that as well but technically it is not a movie and it's clear that TV Shows and possibly all non-movies aren't covered by this service. But since DMA is going away, you would think it would at least transfer into MA, even if it didn't flow out to other services.

It's listed in MA. The license just didn't transfer over.

Lothars

iTunes still hasn’t fully updated for me. Only a few movies ported when I should have over 1,000.
It seems like ITunes hasn't fully updated. It updated a fair bit of movies but there are several that are missing that should be there. So hopefully that will be corrected soon.

SaintR

Same deal here still. Had bought Bladerunner 4K too yesterday on sale at iTunes for $15 hoping that I could see it last night before I go watch the new one in the theaters tonight. Kinda bummed.

I’m absolutely amazed that the support solution for iTunes is for me to email them? Seriously email? No real time Phone or even chat support for a company as big as Apple and iTunes? Terrible job.

borghe

Same deal here still. Had bought Bladerunner 4K too yesterday on sale at iTunes for $15 hoping that I could see it last night before I go watch the new one in the theaters tonight. Kinda bummed.
If you bought it in 4K on iTunes and are hoping to get it in 4K on Vudu or Google, you will not be happy. iTunes 4K purchases will not transfer over to other services as 4K, only HD. This comes down to the deals Apple cut with studios to get 4K pricing. The same as an HD purchase from another retailer looking like you get the 4K version on iTunes, but the movie really playing at ~1200p HDR.

The only thing I'm curious on is if someone has a 4K movie on Google or Vudu, that is available in 4K on Apple, and how that transfers over. I was looking at buying one of those... but holy shit are they expensive........

as for support.. the two things I can offer up are a) apple has the same support for AppStore and iTunes. A company as big as apple still can't offer phone support for literally tens of millions of transactions every day, and b) their email support is actually usually pretty fast. For me it's never been more than an hour-ish or two. and subsequent responses are often the same.

Fox Mulder

It seems like ITunes hasn't fully updated. It updated a fair bit of movies but there are several that are missing that should be there. So hopefully that will be corrected soon.

iTunes has pulled everything to itself for me, even a purchase I made last night on Amazon. It hasnt sent anything out though.

Some are studios not participating, but DMA stuff like pocohantas and jungle book should. My DMA account won't migrate manually on MA either, so I probably have some account fuckup somewhere with Disney to resolve.

Top Bottom