• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

I'm curious about the implications of this more than the products themselves. Are they going to update the PC versions of these games to support more than 60FPS without completely breaking? Will these VR versions even run at the highly recommended 90FPS?

https://youtu.be/r4EHjFkVw-s

Verder

Wait so you have to buy the WHOLE GAME again ?
Ah shit for the longest time I thought it was an update

Jesus nah. I'm already getting the switch version and I have every other version despite not playing them . I want a oblivion or Morrowind port that bad

Shout me into the sky like a giant if old.
The funny thing is they suggested this date back at E3 during interviews, and even dropped the date officially before Quakecon but then went back to being really quite as their advertising continued to push the Skyrim Remaster.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/08/23/doom-vfr-and-skyrim-vr-release-dates-announced/

Yes, I'm getting it.

This really should include the Special Edition.
It is based on the remaster, including all DLC, but with expanded control-set and HUD / menus for VR. Unfortunately Fallout 4 VR has none of the DLC >_<

Give me full control and not teleport and i'll happily buy it, Teleporting takes me out of the game.
It supports both. However, even if the Move controllers are locked down to warp, I'm going to use them once in a while. The idea of being able to shoot magic in one direction, while swinging my sword in the opposite direction at a different enemy is just too good to pass up!

Sony really need to get working on updated Move controllers, with analogue sticks built in. It would be much better for games like this.

Planet

Wait so you have to buy the WHOLE GAME again ?
Ah shit for the longest time I thought it was an update

Jesus nah. I'm already getting the switch version
Paying full price for an older game completely reworked for VR? outrageous
Paying full price for a Switch port? no-brainer

Basically both requred major development on the engine, VR probably requires a lot of gameplay adjustments as well, also the menus. A let's say 30 bucks DLC would have been a welcome alternative, but you can always just wait a few months and get that price anyway.

MattAces

It supports both. However, even if the Move controllers are locked down to warp, I'm going to use them once in a while. The idea of being able to shoot magic in one direction, while swinging my sword in the opposite direction at a different enemy is just too good to pass up!

Definitely doing my first playthrough with Move. Never mind about teleportation, plus it's not really teleportation in this case, more like blinking forward. Hopefully they will implement a button to move like Arizona Sunshine.
Playing with DS4 will never be as immersive, not even with smooth movement.

Paying full price for an older game completely reworked for VR? outrageous
Paying full price for a Switch port? no-brainer

Basically both requred major development on the engine, VR probably requires a lot of gameplay adjustments as well, also the menus. A let's say 30 bucks DLC would have been a welcome alternative, but you can always just wait a few months and get that price anyway.
But people have already bought the remastered version on PS4. The upsell to VR should be an add on cost. Not the full cost.

I'm thinking of getting a PSVR around xmas time so this'll probably be one of the first games I get. Even though I've already played a crap ton of Skyrim on PS3 & PS4 I'm still pretty excited.
Can't wait to blindly shoot fire at a giant frostbite spider whilst cowering with my eyes closed

WITHE1982

I'm so in for this day 1. Been waiting for something like this to drop on PSVR since playing through Farpoint. Seems to be the kind of "system seller" a lot have been waiting for.

I am a little concerned about the movement when using the PS move but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Now I just need to get away from just being a stealth archer yet again as I'm kinda sick of it. May try a battlemage.

Can't wait to blindly shoot fire at a giant frostbite spider whilst cowering with my eyes closed

aaaaand I'm out again. Thanks for reminding me about the spiders. Is the bear/spider mod available on PS4?

MattAces

It's the control scheme that makes me worry. Teleportation? I feels it would be an immersion killer.

Smooth movement in VR is also an immersion killer for many when your character is moving but you aren't, that's one of the main cause for motion sickness.

My hope is they will add in both option of course. But teleport, or in this case, blinking forward a few feet is not too bad.
I still couldn't make it through Robinson (DS4). The game has smooth movement and smooth turning, it sucks. The hand floating beside my face at all time is such a distraction and completely destroyed the immersion.

ffvorax

I need a demo before buying this... I loved skyrim and I think it can be fun to play in VR, but still... I need a demo... :p

MattAces

Still don't know what is this.
Same Skyrim game or just a cut experience?

As far as we know, same Skyrim game, confirmed expansions are in.
They didn't talk about what is added or removed but I think it's safe to assume some mechanics might be removed for VR to work.

Venom.

This really should include the Special Edition.

Yes, I'm getting it.

It is based on the remaster, including all DLC, but with expanded control-set and HUD / menus for VR. Unfortunately Fallout 4 VR has none of the DLC >_<

What I should have made clear is that it should have the regular special edition for non-VR. So that if you want to continue your 100 hour game by playing on TV with the best resolution you can.

I'm with you on that, And of course using them both for the bow and arrow would be immense. What i loved about Farpoint and Arizona was seeing the weapon up close, Tilting it and what not, Seeing an Ebony bow up close will be such a great immersive experience. Hopefully the game gets a Pro upgrade visually.

StereoVsn

I'll be interested to hear how this is received. I wouldn't have thought PSVR could make a workable experience of Skyrim, what with the movement and hugeness of it all, but if it works well, the horizons for VR just got broader.

Maligna

Banned
Arizona Sunshine's free movement control scheme with the Move controllers worked really well in my opinion, so I hope this does too.

MattAces

The amazing thing I've read a bunch of hands on previews for Skyrim VR and they've all been positive.

I haven't try it, so my opinion might be irrelevant, but my take on these "hot garbage VR port" thing is, I wouldn't take people like these seriously, same goes to those that provide overly positive opinion. It's an extremely early build with almost zero feature in it except for a basic slashing and shooting fire. People pointed out cool stuff and negative stuff from previews, which is fair, but to complain the early demo build doesn't have this and that is stupid.
Similar case would be RE7, remember how terrible the initial previews were from E3 2016? It became many people's favorite VR game ever.

shaneo632

I'm very very skeptical about this game. The fact they're not showing DS4 movement off at preview events has me worried that they're going to pull some bullshit on release.

I'll be waiting for reviews either way, and if it's good I'll probably rent it.

Current previews for this game doesn't look good at all. There are problems like lack of artificial movement on ps move, mook chivalry, poor enemy AI etc

Superbunnyhop straight up call it a dumpster fire of a port
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/report-skyrim-vr-port-is-a-complete-dumpster-fire/

I have heard similar and have also heard the total opposite. Poor AI was always a part of standard Skyrim, as was awful combat so I wouldn't expect that to change regardless of the VR version.

Bethesda putting out a poor port wouldn't surprise me though. Skyrim on the PS3 was poor. Skyrim Special Edition on all formats had problems. Dishonoured on PS4/XBX was a poor port. Then there is the standard problems that mar games like Prey and Dishonoured 2 with dodgy performance, or like the original Skyrim where there were so many missions made unplayable due to bugs or backwards flying dragons. Most of those issues are all completely fine for the vast majority of people but technical issues and Bethesda games go hand in hand.

Top Bottom