• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront II |OT| I find your lack of crates disturbing

cormack12

Gold Member
Only realised we needed one last night so threw it together quickly

YqMZzlh.png

Platforms: PS4, Xbox, PC
Release: 17th November
Developers: Criterion, Motive, DICE
Publisher: EA

XP2jx7k.png

Rc7ebAH.png

EKjObc3.png

s6ksDn5.png

IkaVn1t.jpg

The gifs
AchingWellgroomedIslandcanary-size_restricted.gif

EminentDisguisedAardvark-max-1mb.gif

GlisteningFriendlyIguana-size_restricted.gif

EnchantedPowerlessGrub-small.gif

Q--_-

I picked this up tuesday, and man, I think the multiplayer is fantastic... but efffffff, its flawed by the loot crate nonsense. The progression in this game is super broken, the minute they decided to implement star cards was the beginning of the end for this one. I mean, I'll also say the graphics are superb but there is a ton of crappy game design decisions to fix. (If they even can at this point that is)

Zurick

Banned
Man I can't wait until midnight. All of these folks who didn't pay the extra $20 are about to get jacked up.

Quick question. If I’m playing the EA Access trial right now on my X, the understanding is that the enhanced patch is already downloaded along with the base game right? Or is that a day one patch?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Great CGI, pretty safe campaign mode with a lot to be desired but apparently free DLC is on the way as noted in the OT. I like the MP but it needs work.

MiguelItUp

Certainly a step in the right direction on a number of things, HUGE step backwards because of the F2P mobile-like progression and implementations. So strange.

It's sad to receive the second iteration of the new game, and wonder if the third will be the "one." After all this nonsense with this iteration, it makes me feel like that won't be the case at all.

Honestly, I just kind of wish they'd take Battlefield 1, and just throw Star Wars all over it. I feel like that's what the majority wants. Battlefield 1's progression system feels good (IMO), and I think it'd work great with Battlefront. Just add heroes and villains, and BOOM!

It's sad that we still can't use vehicles with other players. Can't land them, can't steal them, etc. I suppose they want both games to be different rather than almost identical. It's just strange to me. Battlefront was always Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, so why not just own up to it?

I've found the multi to be pretty disappointing(no, not loot crates). I actually think BF2015 was much more fun to play and way less frustrating

joseale

Cool OT, let's get this going

Impressions for putting in around 3 hours last night on MP only and in relation to BF from 2 years ago: game runs great on a PS4 Pro, and looks nice enough (to my eyes the first one looked better, or just had graphic aesthetics that I happen to prefer). No hitching that I could detect, and the netcode was not intrusive or rage-inducing.
Movement is somewhat slow and I seriously miss the removal of the jump pack from the general classes. I still need to play more and get a feel for the maps. Sound and feedback is amazing just like on the first one, getting hit markers feels really good.

On the progression front, it looks like all class guns and attachments are unlocked just by playing the class, which is how it should be. The abilities and booster cards are where the grinding will surely take place, but from my playtime I got enough materials to purchase around 4 ability cards, which is also not bad if you want an specific ability and don't want to wait. Now, leveling those cards up is what will surely be expensive as hell. I also got enough credits to unlock one of the more expensive heroes and purchase a couple of crates. Again, not that bad for 3 hours of play.

But -the bad part- as you complete the challenges you'll be stuck with your only source of income being the matches themselves, where I was getting an average of 250 credits (I got anywhere from 150 to 320) per match. 30-40 matches to get the money for a single crate is pretty extreme, you won't be unlocking all cards on their maximum levels, that's for sure. Most people will gravitate towards focusing their unlocking efforts on the class they happen to like the most.
And of course, every time you get killed you'll see your enemies cards in all their colorful and souped-up splendor, and then when you rejoin the fight your single-serving squad mates will also have a nice colorful power-level number next to them. All little insidious and lame attempts by EA to make you feel inadequate and maybe even a little envious to try and get you to break down and just purchase those damn crystals.

But I had a lot of fun, there's just something about pressing buttons and getting star wars sounds fro my AV setup that I find deeply engaging. I'll dive in again tonight to try the other MP modes (I won't touch the campaign untill I'm done going through the one in wolfenstein). Time will tell if the fun can outlast the shitty manipulation-laced progression system.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People found a reason to bitch about the first game (season pass) and now they found a reason to bitch about this game (loot crates).

MiguelItUp

People found a reason to bitch about the first game (season pass) and now they found a reason to bitch about this game (loot crates).

Honestly, with 2015's iteration, I saw more people "bitching" about the gameplay/progression in general. That it all felt way too casual and the game itself felt too linear or incomplete. That players didn't enjoy the progression or token system, among a number of other things.

With Battlefront II, the complaints revolve around the F2P mobile-like mechanics. Which absolutely serve no purpose in a $60-$80 USD title IMO.

To say people "found a reason" makes it sound like they had no reason, but I feel they most certainly do.

This is coming from someone that enjoyed 2015's game for what it was, and for the most part, has enjoyed the latest. But, I can't help but question the decisions that have been made across the board.

Just got my refund from Amazon (digital deluxe edition).

And still manage to stay with the game digitally. But I'm calling Sony. I don't want this piece of crap.

FulgoreZero

Neo Member
I really hope they fix the progression system because I want this game to be successful and all the developers hard work to pay off.

joseale

Can I get a rundown on the splitscreen modes available? Most reviews just seem to ignore it and it's the only mode I'm interested in.

Only the Arcade mode can be played in split-screen, it has Battle Scenarios, around 16 (8 for the rebellion and 8 for the empire), and a custom mode where you set the map and the rules. You can play those 16 missions and Custom in either co-op or versus, all in split-screen.

keraj37

There are bugs, particularly with bots - they sometimes go through walls etc. But that doesn't spoil fun for me.

.hacked

<rant>

Thanks psn, another great job preloading a game. Have had this game preordered since mid August, go to play my preloaded game this morning now have to wait for another fucking firmware update and a new 40gb download.

Wtf every dam time, why bother with auto updates and rest mode?

<\rant>

Crazyorloco

I do like that they posted this. And I hope more people talk about what doesn't work in games so that things like this never have to happen.

I give it within a week and it'll be back. They certainly don't want to lose all that money from ripping people off.

JordanN

Banned
So do we actually know which characters are in this?

I remember they said prequel characters will be in this and I've heard of Grievous and Anakin being leaked or something.

welshrat

Bought an xbox one s for the kids for Xmas, black friday deals here means I got a copy of bf2 free. Wow it looks special on the one x. Not seen the ps4 pro version but it won't be far off what I have seen on the x

MiguelItUp

10 hours playtime here. Completed the Campaign, most Arcade missions and a few hours Multiplayer. And I can say that I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches.

Same, however on PC and not console. I've never seen anything like that. I saw another video showcasing bugs the person apparently experienced that I hadn't seen. If I wanted to QA the game, I'm sure you could find things. But as a player, I haven't seen anything, if I have it was incredibly minuscule.

Same, however on PC and not console. I've never seen anything like that. I saw another video showcasing bugs the person apparently experienced that I hadn't seen. If I wanted to QA the game, I'm sure you could find things. But as a player, I haven't seen anything, if I have it was incredibly minuscule.

I have a PC specific question, and maybe you can offer your opinion.

I want to get the PC version, but hate playing mouse/keyboard, since my pc is connected to my TV. How competitive do you think I can be using a controller? Is the shooting pixel accurate like PUBG, or does it have a bit of give like Destiny 2?

MiguelItUp

I have a PC specific question, and maybe you can offer your opinion.

I want to get the PC version, but hate playing mouse/keyboard, since my pc is connected to my TV. How competitive do you think I can be using a controller? Is the shooting pixel accurate like PUBG, or does it have a bit of give like Destiny 2?

Honestly, as someone that played Call of Duty MW/MW2/WaW/BO on Xbox 360, I feel that you'd do more than fine behind a controller. The gameplay still feels incredibly arcade-like to a certain degree, it's certainly not too precision crazy.

Deception

I've found the multi to be pretty disappointing(no, not loot crates). I actually think BF2015 was much more fun to play and way less frustrating

I actually agree, the gunplay in this game seems really lackluster and the map designs are pretty mediocre-bad. I find myself only playing a few games before I get bored.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Been playing a couple of hours tonight, game feels like a big step up from the previous one.

I really like the balance, and the crates doesn’t seem like pay to win but just more like random unlocks.

LOLCats

Banned
Been playing a couple of hours tonight, game feels like a big step up from the previous one.

I really like the balance, and the crates doesn’t seem like pay to win but just more like random unlocks.

Uhuh.... also known as basic gambling if you pay cash for said crate. They give you some free man... dont listen to the pusher man.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Story campaign....anyone else seeing blinking of the image for a few seconds when it transitions from gameplay to a cinematic? PS4 version running on a Pro in HDR

pots555

Unfortunately, I am finding the single player campaign kind of boring. Multiplayer is much more fun! Graphics are amazing!

TheKevn

Was disappointed in the beta but the game has really impressed so far. The credits you earn after a match seems to be based mostly on time spent in the game rather than performance and progression could definitely be better but I'm having fun and look forward to content updates.

Top Bottom