• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft pledges pipeline of support for Wii U, talks next gen exclusives

StuBurns

Banned
I've seen all the negative thread titles about the U's sales, but never bothered to check it out, and while the numbers are bad, I don't think anyone is bailing from support, they just weren't going to support it seriously anyway.

pvpness

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 360/PS3 versions disappear completely and the game turn out to be a next gen title all along.

Seems likely. Gotta get people to buy new systems and ya can't do that if you keep giving them stuff on the old ones.

Roo

E0pqzTv.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Seems likely. Gotta get people to buy new systems and ya can't do that if you keep giving them stuff on the old ones.
First parties care about that, Ubisoft doesn't.

Moving Rayman to next-gen doesn't make much sense, you'd be leaving a huge installbase for one with no one.

Zero148

Hes saying the titles we have planned will come out after Nintendo starts releasing their big hits and the machine starts selling more

and after that complain that they can't compete with Nintendo on a Nintendo platform and just release Just dance and imagine gamez

seems legit management

I would think so. They said they delayed Rayman cause the fans wanted it on the other systems, so that logic should work in reverse. I expect it to release the same day as other versions and trust that ubi will delay all versions if necessary.

Maybe delay the current gen versions. Yes, I am adding the WiiU to Xbox360/PS3 generations. No way Ubisoft will loose the spot of releasing a new franchise at a new generation machine. It will be as soon as possible in the next Xbox/next PS. Usually the best way to launch a new franchise is on the starting circle of a new console. Delay the game for a few months and they will loose the launch momentum and the install base will not be enough for a normal game release.

Sold 2 million, shipped 3 million. In the same time period of the 360 and PS3 launches, they shipped 2 million.
wiiu forcast to march is 4mill
ps3 in the same period shipped 3.6mill and that is only with 1 week of eu sales vs wiiu 4months
ps3 was not considered a good launch

AzaK

Anyone who mentions games coming to Wii U and says they "which makes fantastic use of what the machine can do" is going to be more "casual", or light titles as opposed to their hardcore franchises.

wiiu forcast to march is 4mill
ps3 in the same period shipped 3.6mill and that is only with 1 week of eu sales vs wiiu 4months
ps3 was not considered a good launch

PS3 also cost a shittonne more.

So what he's saying is Wii U being rebranded as Wii Tuu, relaunching in Fall with Mario Universe packed in at 299, Watch_Dogs as relaunch title.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games, so I SHOULD be satisfied by the end of the year.

Wish it could be more successful, though.

JaxJag

Banned
Has publishers ever bailed on a console so fast? I remember the Dreamcast had a lack of support, but that just didn't seem to be there from day one.

Haunted

I would think so. They said they delayed Rayman cause the fans wanted it on the other systems, so that logic should work in reverse. I expect it to release the same day as other versions and trust that ubi will delay all versions if necessary.
rqd7KgK.gif

I am a huge Nintendo fan. despite the fact that I have been hating Ubisoft for years, I was pleased to see they were the only ones to truly support the system. I almost bought a ZombiU bundle, but I had to step back for financial issues at the time.
But witnessing this move, I am speechless. Had they release rayman end of february on Wii U then announce later the port, it would have been expected. We all knew Rayman was going multiplatform after some time. But this way of doing things... To anounce a few weeks before both delay and loss of exclusivity I am truly speechless.
I truly think Ubisoft is a shitty company.

So they broke a console exclusivety based on fan demand, yet their open for exclusives games that won't cause demands?
Excuse moi? What?

krumble

So..pipe dream from that...

Bigger battery for game pad, ie longer battery life

Addition of off-tv play to work outside the home.. Like remote play was supposed to work

Your own private cloud, anyplace you have a wireless connection your game pad can stream from your home

Maybe Nintendo approved router/or console connected via full gigabit wired only to reduce latency

Far fetched? Maybe...

Crawl

i forsee a future where nintendo combines their console and handheld into 1 platform. Mobile gaming and then an airplay style system to play your games on your tv.

pvpness

stuburns : we were discussing watch dogs.

"Maybe delay the current gen versions. Yes, I am adding the WiiU to Xbox360/PS3 generations. No way Ubisoft will loose the spot of releasing a new franchise at a new generation machine. It will be as soon as possible in the next Xbox/next PS. Usually the best way to launch a new franchise is on the starting circle of a new console. Delay the game for a few months and they will loose the launch momentum and the install base will not be enough for a normal game release."

Only going with what ubi has told me. Which is they would prefer to delay finished games to release all versions at the same time rather than a stagger.

haunted :my phone makes Gaf a nightmare, can't see your image. :(

relaxor

what?
Put me in the camp that says hardware upgrade and slight rebranding. Keep the name WiiU, new version in grey that is in the rough specs range of Orbis/Durango. You heard this fellow on multiplats, Nintendo won't have a wedge of that 'big games' pie and if the customer base isn't there there's no incentive to develop anything but shovelware pipeline.

Meelow

Banned
Put me in the camp that says hardware upgrade and slight rebranding. Keep the name WiiU, new version in grey that is in the rough specs range of Orbis/Durango. You heard this fellow on multiplats, Nintendo won't have a wedge of that 'big games' pie and if the customer base isn't there there's no incentive to develop anything but shovelware pipeline.

But wouldn't that mean everyone that has the current Wii U would have to buy the upgrade?

What? This would be dead in the water.

Subhero

Banned
Anyway, I wouldn't read too much into Guillemot's statement. Sounds like a rushed PR move to counter the eactions to Rayman's delay.

This.
The UPlay Miiverse community is going so ballistic right now that even the censoring can't keep up...

I mean its kind of reasonable but the best part, and trust me you will see the revelation if this happens, Grey Wii U will still not get 3rd party support its that simple.

But wouldn't that mean everyone that has the current Wii U would have to buy the upgrade?

I wonder if they could go with the Expansion Pak method, even better, it'd be wonderful if they can give you a disc and it unlocks the Wii U's extra GC.

But unless that allows overclocking that ain't doing bunk. So the EP would work, I guess they can make it connect via USB (what official device uses USB on Wii U so far anyway?).

Could that work? $50 gives you a more powerful console that you already own, and devs can choose to use it ala the EP, either as something where without it the game runs in 30fps and with it in 60fps? Or exclusively with a warning that you have to buy the device, but at $50 and you're covered the entire gen, it's not gonna harm anyone and you get something better in the end.

donny2112

Nintendo's going to really have to fund port jobs themselves to get some of the big hitters onto their system looks like. If they do that, and they sell, there's a chance that Western third-party support will pick up, but I doubt they'd do that, in any case. Interesting.

There is a 0% chance of this happening. It's by far the most ridiculous proposition I've seen in this thread

deviljho

Ambassador program? Being very pessimistic of Nintendo at the moment, pardon me.

ei6vt.gif

Roo

what is this? a serious question because I don't get it.
It's like people magically expect the next Xbox and PS4 to have a 10 million userbase right out of the gate and that's not gonna happen

javac

I am a huge Nintendo fan. despite the fact that I have been hating Ubisoft for years, I was pleased to see they were the only ones to truly support the system. I almost bought a ZombiU bundle, but I had to step back for financial issues at the time.
But witnessing this move, I am speechless. Had they release rayman end of february on Wii U then announce later the port, it would have been expected. We all knew Rayman was going multiplatform after some time. But this way of doing things... To anounce a few weeks before both delay and loss of exclusivity I am truly speechless.
I truly think Ubisoft is a shitty company.

At the end of the day, I judge companies on the games they release, there's no point holding agendas. I mean they ARE making Rayman Legends at the end of the day. There aren't many dev's that would make a game like it, a high quality 2D Platformer. They don't have to make it, and sure the want the money, but they could easily have made another game, or a crappy Rayman shovelware game and made the same amount of money. They choose to make a cool Rayman game, for the fans and hell at least it is coming to the Wii U at all as sad as it sounds, unlike most 3rd party games. If the games good, I'll buy it.

Also, NSMBU is the superior platformer :p

I still don't get why Ubisoft thinks Rayman is this huge AAA title that has sold millions of games in the past, and now suddenly doesn't want a huge drop-off by keeping it an exclusive.

Origins was on almost every console in existence two years ago, and being multiplatform did not help it.

Top Bottom