• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

onQ123

The way i see it based on the rumors. And im sure it will take cues from the Vita.

ds4.jpg

tumblr_mb90ajJo821rw5rky.gif

Mully

I was hoping for the revival of the Boomerang, but if it's going to have the Vita's sticks, like the 360's sticks, I'm down.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The way i see it based on the rumors. And im sure it will take cues from the Vita.

ds4.jpg

This is what I imagined though I don't see the point of putting the start/select "buttons" right in the middle of the touchpad. I would think that would limit it's use.

Mully

What ever happened to the Sony Patent that stated a folding and snapping controller that could be configured for different things?

This is what I imagined though I don't see the point of putting the start/select "buttons" right in the middle of the touchpad. I would think that would limit it's use.

I agree, but they may be lined up along the bottom of the touchpad similar to the 3DS ones, but less annoying. Touchpad should be a well defined rectangle too, and remember it's also a button that clicks down according to Kotaku.

It'd be good for scrolling through lists quickly and accurately, scrolling web pages in the browser, scrubbing through your stored video replays to select which section to highlight

All of which you could do with the dpad though. I am having trouble imagining some more practical uses. I feel like putting it on the back, allowing for more simultaneous uses would be more beneficial than on the front where you'd have to take your thumbs off the main controls

patents show microsoft have been planning the same thing for some time. it's mentioned in the durango leak thread if you want more details.

Oh, really? Thought only Sony was doing it.

ds4.jpg

Can someone please tell me practical uses? I just don't see it with such a small trackpad.

YES. I hate how sloppy the DS sticks feel (compared to the Xbox and Gamecube sticks, for example).

Ironic, considering Dualshock 2's sticks were so much better: much more resistance, much better grip. What happened?

Jack_AG

Banned

ds4.jpg

This looks nice BUT - i think we won't see "start/select" options anymore.

the PS button can bring up an entire menu for you - no need for start/select.

Game: "Press Start" No. I hit X and it does the same.

They are relics and they aren't needed - a single PS button and you're good.

Jack_AG

Banned
I don't want a touch anything. I just want them to make R2 and L2 real triggers.

Triggers confuse me since they are, 99% of the time, used as direct-action buttons. Their analog movement is rarely used outside of racing games.

They are useless, IMO. It's like attaching a lever on the controller that you only use in a few games that have sequences where you pull levers... makes no sense.

Sinistral

All of which you could do with the dpad though. I am having trouble imagining some more practical uses. I feel like putting it on the back, allowing for more simultaneous uses would be more beneficial than on the front where you'd have to take your thumbs off the main controls

Oh, really? Thought only Sony was doing it.

Can someone please tell me practical uses? I just don't see it with such a small trackpad.

Ironic, considering Dualshock 2's sticks were so much better: much more resistance, much better grip. What happened?

I was about to post the same thing as I could not agree more. Someone please elaborate on these points.

I like the idea of having a laptop style touch pad on the controller. It would make certain things easier to do, like web browsing.

KAL2006

Banned
Kotaku, which were the first ones with the share button story, are saying motion is still in.

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

Damn I must have missed that. So share button, touchpad, gyro seem likely for the new Duallshock. I like the idea of current Move controllers being compatible for PS4. I remember reading the VGleaks rumour about there being a Dual camera (new depth sensing PS Eye) and Move with devkits. Though I doubt PS Eye and Move will be packaged with PS4 (maybe for premium model for a expensive price) but it's nice to know Move will be supported still but not as a main controller input like Dualshock.

Press Share Button: Bring up XMB (from here, you can press something like Square to bring up the options for when you hold down PS button-- Turn off controller, controller settings, quit game)
Double tap: Capture pic
Trackpad double tap left: select
Trackpad double tap right: Start
Rest of the trackpad: Developer mapped

My ultimate concern with mapping start/select to trackpad (if that is indeed the case and the OP failed to mention they are just relocated-- something I see Sony doing instead), then what developers can do with the trackpad becomes limited, while some games like Battlefield suffer from making spotting harder to do

The mockup right above my post is perfect, but I'm still having a hard time thinking of practical uses that justifies such a change. Is this just another case of SIXAXIS, but this time, something that will permanently stay as a reminder? Is it hard to just come up with separate accessories (Move) for web browsing (which is all I'm seeing get repeated as a practical use)

but that would take out a button, most games use select for the Map or weaponmenu etc.

i tried placing them on the sides too but decided that they can be in the middle too. a tap on the zones of start/select will open them. but a swipe wherever can be used for, well, swiping.

This is mostly true although it's nice to have the extra inputs for accessing menus, but the touch pad can cover that anyway. I've never been keen on 'SELECT' in particular which was one that was introduced to replace having separate 'GAME A' and 'GAME B' buttons like on the GAME&WATCH. Even Nintendo dropped it from their consoles by the N64, only to bring it back on the Wii CCs and Wii U.

VanWinkle

Anyone think the trackpad could be used as gestures? Like, swipe up from the bottom for the in-game XMB (or whatever UI they use), swipe right from the left side for "select", swipe left from the right side for "Start", and swipe down from the top to maybe put the console in sleep mode? Could be kinda cool.

KAL2006

Banned
Press Share Button: Bring up XMB (from here, you can press something like Square to bring up the options for when you hold down PS button-- Turn off controller, controller settings, quit game)
Double tap: Capture pic
Trackpad double tap left: select
Trackpad double tap right: Start
Rest of the trackpad: Developer mapped

My ultimate concern with mapping start/select to trackpad (if that is indeed the case and the OP failed to mention they are just relocated-- something I see Sony doing instead), then what developers can do with the trackpad becomes limited, while some games like Battlefield suffer from making spotting harder to do

they can make each side of the track pad click able, so click in the the left side of the track pad for select, click in the right side for start, topfor share, and bottom for some other shit. Basically similar to the old iPod wheel except it's not a wheel but a whole box with touch support.

EDIT: Old Kotaku article actually mentions touchpad being clickable.

Anyone think the trackpad could be used as gestures? Like, swipe up from the bottom for the in-game XMB (or whatever UI they use), swipe right from the left side for "select", swipe left from the right side for "Start", and swipe down from the top to maybe put the console in sleep mode? Could be kinda cool.

Sounds like that would rule out it being used for much else. You could just click it in at the bottom to access the XMB and then use it to navigate around.

But why not just have the damn start, PS, and select buttons for that? Why make it more complicated? It makes no sense, unless there are in-game usages I cannot think of.

Would be cool if the trackpad was good enough to:

-Recognize signatures (for passwords)
-Use as an accurate as hell typepad:

Gesturing letters and characters with your right hand/finger, which then transform to digital text, while using the left hand to use on the dpad for spacing, could be very useful) < Is technology possible for something so accurate?

-Act as a web browsing tool

Double tapping the touchpad, swiping with multifingers, it's all very functional, if not for the fact that I have to take my fingers off the main face buttons. I just question the applicability for games, without making them crappy ass gimmicks no one wants.

And, to me, if the main uses are OS related, why not bundle a chatpad, which sounds much cheaper and much more practical to me. Putting the whole thing on the front, I just can't think of any uses that would seamlessly make games superior. And IMO, that's what's most important: having functionality over the competition that makes games on your product much better

I'm just thinking in my head, if the controller was more spacious, they could easily put this on the back and have so much more functionality.

VanWinkle

Sounds like that would rule out it being used for much else. You could just click it in at the bottom to access the XMB and then use it to navigate around.

Well if you have to swipe all the way to the edge it wouldn't necessarily have to rule out much. Kind of how on a smartphone if you swipe down all the way from the top you can get notifications, but that doesn't interrupt the app you're in. But I do see what you're saying. This could be one potential use for it, though.

For some reason, I just like they idea of, as you're swiping up from the bottom edge of the touchpad, you see the game image being pushed up and out of the screen as it opens the OS back up. Obviously my idea wasn't fully thought out but it could be neat.

Jack_AG

Banned
but that would take out a button, most games use select for the Map or weaponmenu etc.

i tried placing them on the sides too but decided that they can be in the middle too. a tap on the zones of start/select will open them. but a swipe wherever can be used for, well, swiping.
Swipe down from top - access game menu. Swipe up from bottom - game map (if any, most maps pause gameplay so it can be a function of normal menu).

Touchpad has a LOT more uses than 2 input buttons can provide. I think touch devices have taught us all lots of unique ways to control them that we dont need start/select anymore.

A single PS button coupled with swipe gestures is an upgrade.

I really want there to be six face buttons on the controller. But I don't see this happening unless Microsoft's controller has six buttons as well for game parity reasons. I wish Sony and MS could just agree that their next controllers would have an extra pair of buttons and leave it at that. ;)

I really want there to be six face buttons on the controller. But I don't see this happening unless Microsoft's controller has six buttons as well for game parity reasons. I wish Sony and MS could just agree that their next controllers would have an extra pair of buttons and leave it at that. ;)

This is what I'm saying, but who cares what the competition thinks?

One console having two extra buttons than the competition puts that company at a much better advantage, I'd think

ds4.jpg
Guys if the touchpad is in the center then the sticks should sport a lower profile. The high of the sticks will get in the way.

The media button should be at the botton of the controller, touched by the middle finger.

"same size as an existing DualShock"

Aaaaaand my dream of a proper PS4 controller died.
I'm sure they just mean that its not Wiipad sized. In that context they would say 360 and PS3 are the same controller. It doesn't mean the mould and shape won't change

Man, I'm pretty bummed. The share feature sounds great, but keeping the same shape as the dualshock is a nonstarter for me. Also if the dual shock is the same shape and this touchpad is going to be on the front, it's going to be the size of a postage stamp. Seems kinds worthless to me

I'm sure they just mean that its not Wiipad sized. In that context they would say 360 and PS3 are the same controller. It doesn't mean the mould and shape won't change

I hope you're right

VanWinkle

Man, I'm pretty bummed. The share feature sounds great, but keeping the same shape as the dualshock is a nonstarter for me. Also if the dual shock is the same shape and this touchpad is going to be on the front, it's going to be the size of a postage stamp. Seems kinds worthless to me

Nobody said same shape :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Guys if the touchpad is in the center then the sticks should sport a lower profile. The high of the sticks will get in the way.

The media button should be at the botton of the controller, touched by the middle finger.
Yeah, but that would be a bad solution. The sticks on the Dualshock are already uncomfortably low. I want to be able to comfortably grip the entire controller while using the sticks, instead of having to fold my hand, if that makes sense.

famfrit

Tweaked my controller shop

zsMBdrk.jpg

Vita buttons

K5ApBNu.jpg

Scale comparison

tmXNJi2.jpg

Xbox controller looks better than the fake. Sony need to change of the position of the L3 like in the xbox controller, high the weight and make it more ergonomic to the hand.

In the end, Xbox have the controller for me (and i only played one time that console, because i have a ps3).

Xbox controller looks better than the fake. Sony need to change of the position of the L3 like in the xbox controller, high the weight and make it more ergonomic to the hand.

In the end, Xbox have the controller for me (and i only played one time that console, because i have a ps3).
It's impossible to say if that controller would be ergonomic or not until holding it. You can't see the depth of the controller handles, how it curves to fit the hand etc. even though we are talking about a fake controller :p

I agree though, it's time they changed the analog position.

Top Bottom