• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Mafia |OT| My Little Scum can't be this cute! ()

Well think about it. What information does town have to go off of, on day one? No one has died and we're not even close to a vote yet.

_ノ乙(、ン、)_

It's just about impossible to tell what's going on until investigators, etc. use their powers. Votes right now are just going to be based off gut feeling based on things such as past behavior in previous games, relationships with players or crappy anime faces.

Fair enough! Makes sense that until we have some facts on the table after the first night, everything is mostly speculation

squidyj

UNVOTE: rac

Damn 5-0 ain't gonna take me or my partner alive.

VOTE: squidyj

are you like.... a Thief of some sort?
also to clarify my earlier post I dislike people waiting around for things like cop checks to solve the game for them, I prefer making reads happen, paying attention to the game, and putting in solid play.

squidyj

Fair enough! Makes sense that until we have some facts on the table after the first night, everything is mostly speculation

these facts they hold out for aren't as valuable as you might think. They come to us without context and can be used to push false narratives, even by well meaning players. Relying on them is a foolish way to play the game. you need to inform yourself by reading the thread, thinking about the implications of what people say, thinking about how a scum player might want to play the game, how a town player might play the game badly. Engage other players in conversation, draw them out into revealing more of themselves so you can see if they stay consistent through the game, or see if there's something not right about what they're doing.

The person who tells you nothing matters until we have 'facts' is someone telling you to sit back on your hands and not try to win the game. Is that town aligned?

squidyj is a wild card, out here mixing it up, but reading the layers beyond just chaos isn't going to do much good until we can see what he does next. Let's target some rando who hasn't turned up yet. Smoke 'em out.

The person who tells you nothing matters until we have 'facts' is someone telling you to sit back on your hands and not try to win the game. Is that town aligned?

I still think you are weirdly suspicious, but sitting back and just waiting has never won town a game of Mafia, can confirm, even if I haven't played here.

these facts they hold out for aren't as valuable as you might think. They come to us without context and can be used to push false narratives, even by well meaning players. Relying on them is a foolish way to play the game. you need to inform yourself by reading the thread, thinking about the implications of what people say, thinking about how a scum player might want to play the game, how a town player might play the game badly. Engage othr players in conversation, draw them out into revealing more of themselves so you can see if they stay consistent through the game, or see if there's something not right about what they're doing.

Neither one of us said that day one doesn't matter. I'm saying that day one is usually slow because we, as town, have fuck all to go off on. It's not until the end of the day, at least, that the true reads start to come to light.

Patience is the name of the game.

(◡‿◡✿)

SkyOdin

I am loathe to do so, but I have to agree with squidyj. Despite his unfathomable play so far, he is right that day 1 is important. Sitting on our hands waiting for results doesn't have any guarantee of pay-off.

Reads are still the foundation of Mafia play. So we need to share our impressions of our fellow players.

squidyj is a wild card, out here mixing it up, but reading the layers beyond just chaos isn't going to do much good until we can see what he does next. Let's target some rando who hasn't turned up yet. Smoke 'em out.

Eh. Squidy-kun is playing like he normally does. I'm not too concerned about it. Yet.

(ʘ‿ʘ✿)

Palmer_v1

I lean scum on Squidyj for now. I have no idea about the normalcy of this game, but my immediate, and admittedly convoluted thought, is that he's a scum or maybe neutral or even misguided townie, trying to bait people into targeting him so he can trigger something.

Something something occam's razor though.

It's not enough to get worked up over for now.

I lean scum on Squidyj for now. I have no idea about the normalcy of this game, but my immediate, and admittedly convoluted thought, is that he's a scum or maybe neutral or even misguided townie, trying to bait people into targeting him so he can trigger something.

Something something occam's razor though.

It's not enough to get worked up over for now.

He'd definitely be the easy pick right now, so Occam would approve, but I'm not entirely convinced :/

I am loathe to do so, but I have to agree with squidyj. Despite his unfathomable play so far, he is right that day 1 is important. Sitting on our hands waiting for results doesn't have any guarantee of pay-off.

Reads are still the foundation of Mafia play. So we need to share our impressions of our fellow players.

So what's our next step?

Also, we still have some people who haven't checked-in yet, right?

Palmer_v1

Here we go!

01. [m] oreomunsta - New - MDT - Exuberant. Leaning town cause I feel like scum would have reigned this in.
02. [m] Nomadic Sparks - New - CST - Has not yet registered in my awareness
03. [it] hatmoza - New - Gulf Timezone - Ditto
04. [f] hey_monkey - New - EST - I think you were in discord so you're cool for now.
05. [m] rac - New - EST - Sup
06. [m] 30yearsofhurt - New - GMT+10 - Super scummy name. Definitely scum.
07. [m] Poltergust - New - EST - I like your name
08. [m] Bowlie - GMT-3 - Long time no see! Blink once if you're scum.
09. [m] SkyOdin - PDT - I can't remember if I played with you previously, for which I apologize
10. [m] Palmer_v1 - CST - Scum
11. [m] ultron87 - EST - Really hope you're not scum
12. [m] cabot - GMT+1 - Ditto
13. [m] Zubz - EST - Sup
14. [m] Dusk Soldier - EST - *squinting at you*
15. [m] Cewyn - EST - Not a newbie but new to me.
16. [m] BlackBuzzard - CET - Ditto
17. [m] Haly - EST - No fucking Corgi avatar? SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM
18. [m] squidyj - MST - I love you. Please don't be scum.
19. [m] TheExodu5 - EST - Hi
20. [f] WhereAreMahDragonz - MST - You get a forever pass cause of how they treated our girl on the 100.
21. [f] Swamped - EST - *squints*
22. [m] StanleyPalmtree - GMT+12 - There can be only one. Scum.
23. [m] Kyanrute - GMT+2 - Hello

these facts they hold out for aren't as valuable as you might think. They come to us without context and can be used to push false narratives, even by well meaning players. Relying on them is a foolish way to play the game. you need to inform yourself by reading the thread, thinking about the implications of what people say, thinking about how a scum player might want to play the game, how a town player might play the game badly. Engage other players in conversation, draw them out into revealing more of themselves so you can see if they stay consistent through the game, or see if there's something not right about what they're doing.

The person telling you to act on nothing on day one does not respect town lives.

Palmer_v1

I figure if he's scum, it'll show. But of course, I'll go with the majority. Must follow senpai. (/;◇;)/

... the fuck?

Don't be a sheep. Don't follow the popular vote without putting any thought to it. Scum have more information and control of the game than us. Easy bandwagons should be extremely suspicious, but we're fucked if too many people pile on, cause than you don't learn anything useful from it.

It's totally okay to lynch some townies. i'd frankly be amazed if it didn't happen. Just try to make sure we benefit from it somehow, and do do anything that the scum can use as a smoke screen for their own bullshit.

... This is normal for him? As his official GAFia Rival, I'd argue against this.

Meanwhile, I don't know your behavior, but it's giving me... vibes.

Well I mean last game I played with him (Gafia 3) he got lynched day one because he made some sketchy posts and sparked a bunch of nonsensical discussion that ultimately led to town mislynching him on a whim.

His play is normally erratic, imo, but I would like to see where it goes for now. Last time, this behavior was town-aligned, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Either way, I don't believe his claim for a second but I also don't see scum Squidy-kun doing that, so he won't be getting my vote today. I'm willing to wait and see on him.

Right now I'm more concerned about all the people who just ask random questions with no real purpose other than to artificially create conversation. And there are a few of them, to be sure.

(´-ε-`)

Here we go!

20. [f] WhereAreMahDragonz - MST - You get a forever pass cause of how they treated our girl on the 100.

No idea what you're talking about. Lexa-senpai and Clarke-chan are happily married, alive, and living together in harmony.

♡^▽^♡ ♡^▽^♡ ♡^▽^♡

That's.......a very odd thing to say.

(¤﹏¤)

... the fuck?

Don't be a sheep. Don't follow the popular vote without putting any thought to it. Scum have more information and control of the game than us. Easy bandwagons should be extremely suspicious, but we're fucked if too many people pile on, cause than you don't learn anything useful from it.

It's totally okay to lynch some townies. i'd frankly be amazed if it didn't happen. Just try to make sure we benefit from it somehow, and do do anything that the scum can use as a smoke screen for their own bullshit.

It was a joke. Apparently a bad one. (-‸ლ)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The person telling you to act on nothing on day one does not respect town lives.

Town lives are not very important. This is the thing a lot of new players fail to grasp, that the goal isn't strictly to survive so much as it is to kill scum before they reach majority. Surviving is only incidental to the real victory condition of eliminating scum. As town, we'll always have numbers on our side so if we can trade 1 or 2 bodies for a single scum it puts us ahead.

SkyOdin

So what's our next step?

Also, we still have some people who haven't checked-in yet, right?
Our next step is to throw suspicion at each other and put on some pressure. Day 1 is the hardest day to figure out anything, but it helps for future days.
There are two responses to this:
1) We are hopefully acting on *something*. We can never rely 100% on cops and other power roles anyways. A set-up where the cop is guaranteed to guide us to victory wouldn't be allowed under most balancing guidelines. At some point, we are going to have to trust our own judgement. This is a game that can and should be won without the help of any power roles at all.

2) We are going to lose plenty of town anyways. We are not likely going to get a repeat of Disney Mafia. It would be nice, but it is unlikely. At this early stage, a shot in the dark has at least some chance of hitting scum. I... may have some history of being somewhat over-devoted to getting a Day 1 lynch. I have wizened up a bit since then, but I am still passionate that it is a necessity. Scum will certainly try for a Night 1 kill. If we give up a chance at a lynch, we will simply lose an opportunity to gain precious information.

Palmer_v1

Most of you know my day 1 opinion. i'm not here to shitpost this time, and unless someone really fucks up, I'm going to toss someone that doesn't seem like they'll be useful to town going forward when we DO have more info. Lack of participation, bandwagoning, not voting, and not giving a decent reason for your voting are what I look at today.

Most veterans who haven't burned me in the past get somewhat of a pass. Most new players will also get a pass cause I hate to be a total dick on D1.

SkyOdin

Odin-kun, who is your top lynch candidate for the day and why?

Arigato (ノ^∇^)

Right now... I am not sure what to say. I feel like some of the new players such as rac or 30yearsofhurt are bandwagoning with their votes. I also feel that some of the new player lack of experience may be convenient cover for scum. Statistically speaking, it is very possible that at least one of the newbies and/or less experienced players could be newbie scum. However, it is hard to discern so far.

I still think squidyj's behavior is perplexing, but I think I am getting a better feel for what kind of player he is. I am leaning more for lynching him on Day 2, depending on his behavior going forward. At the very least, I can respect some of his opinions, gameplay advice and level of activity for the time being.

To be honest Dragonz-san, I think you have been making the most chat with the least substance. You ask people their opinions a lot without sharing your own. It is an easy way to be active and visible without really contributing a lot. I can understand that it is still the first 24 hours of the game, but I would really like to hear your own thoughts.

Town lives are not very important. This is the thing a lot of new players fail to grasp, that the goal isn't strictly to survive so much as it is to kill scum before they reach majority. Surviving is only incidental to the real victory condition of eliminating scum. As town, we'll always have numbers on our side so if we can trade 1 or 2 bodies for a single scum it puts us ahead.

Yeah, I guess you're right about that. Townspeople are expendable as long as we proceed along the right path to finding all the Mafia members.

A player's role and alignment is revealed upon death, which can put their post history in a completely new light and can possibly provide some insight into what to do in the future. Even a regular townie can provide valuable information because of this.

Our next step is to throw suspicion at each other and put on some pressure. Day 1 is the hardest day to figure out anything, but it helps for future days.

There are two responses to this:
1) We are hopefully acting on *something*. We can never rely 100% on cops and other power roles anyways. A set-up where the cop is guaranteed to guide us to victory wouldn't be allowed under most balancing guidelines. At some point, we are going to have to trust our own judgement. This is a game that can and should be won without the help of any power roles at all.

2) We are going to lose plenty of town anyways. We are not likely going to get a repeat of Disney Mafia. It would be nice, but it is unlikely. At this early stage, a shot in the dark has at least some chance of hitting scum. I... may have some history of being somewhat over-devoted to getting a Day 1 lynch. I have wizened up a bit since then, but I am still passionate that it is a necessity. Scum will certainly try for a Night 1 kill. If we give up a chance at a lynch, we will simply lose an opportunity to gain precious information.

It is very unlikely to get a lynch to work day 1. Mafia will probably have protection roles. Town investigators may not. I don't know what the roles are like on GAF but from playing on other forums the no vote was invariably the safest way to go on day 1.

SkyOdin

It is very unlikely to get a lynch to work day 1. Mafia will probably have protection roles. Town investigators may not. I don't know what the roles are like on GAF but from playing on other forums the no vote was invariably the safest way to go on day 1.

MafiaGAF pretty much always lynchs Day 1. That is something you are going to have to get used to playing here. I don't think MafiaGAF has done a No Lynch Vote Day 1 since season 1, maybe season 2.

Right now... I am not sure what to say. I feel like some of the new players such as rac or 30yearsofhurt are bandwagoning with their votes. I also feel that some of the new player lack of experience may be convenient cover for scum. Statistically speaking, it is very possible that at least one of the newbies and/or less experienced players could be newbie scum. However, it is hard to discern so far.

I still think squidyj's behavior is perplexing, but I think I am getting a better feel for what kind of player he is. I am leaning more for lynching him on Day 2, depending on his behavior going forward. At the very least, I can respect some of his opinions, gameplay advice and level of activity for the time being.

To be honest Dragonz-san, I think you have been making the most chat with the least substance. You ask people their opinions a lot without sharing your own. It is an easy way to be active and visible without really contributing a lot. I can understand that it is still the first 24 hours of the game, but I would really like to hear your own thoughts.

That's fair, oniichan. My biggest reads of the moment are this:

Squidy-kun is not someone I feel comfortable lynching today. His play is consistent, at least, with how he was last game and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I said before because I don't believe his claim at all, so I would like to see where that goes.

The new first-year Mafia students are the ones I am most curious / cautious about. Poltergust-kun, in particular, is someone that I have been getting bad vibes from, because of his pointless questioning, but I am not sure if this is just newbie play or what. Monkey-kun and Oreo-kun are also ones to look out for, IMO.

I have no troubling feelings about 30years-kun yet, but that is always subject to change. He hasn't said anything that worries me, anyway.

Haly-kun is aggressive, I am slightly leaning town for now.

Zubs-kun has said a whole lot of nothing and has only slightly stirred the pot. Just something I noticed, I'm not trying to accuse at the moment or anything.

Palmer has a kawaii desu avatar. I know he's a third-year Mafia player but I've never played with him before so I'd like to learn more about him.

I would really like to hear from Kyan-senpai, my long lost scum teacher. He is a very good player, no matter his alignment. But to be fair, he is more often scum than not.

Swamped-chan is my waifu and is playing consistently this time as she has every other time. Posts once or twice, then ducks out. From my experience, though, this is not necessarily scum play, as she was town the last time she did this exact thing.

Everyone else is a null read or has not quite piqued my interest yet.

(∩^o^)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

squidyj (2)
cabot 116 146
SkyOdin 131
30yearsofhurt 251

cabot (1)
Palmer_v1 274

rac (1)
Swamped 204
30yearsofhurt 220 251

Poltergust (1)
squidyj 289

Haly (1)
cabot 146

No Lynch (1)
Poltergust 119

No active vote for Day 1: BlackBuzzard, Bowlie, Cewyn, Dusk Soldier, Haly, hatmoza, hey_monkey, Kyanrute, Nomadic Sparks, oreomunsta, rac, StanleyPalmtree, TheExodu5, ultron87, WhereAreMahDragonz, Zubz

Day 1 Postcount: 30yearsofhurt 7, BlackBuzzard 1, Bowlie 4, cabot 12, Cewyn 1, Dusk Soldier 2, Haly 10, hatmoza 0, hey_monkey 15, Kyanrute 0, Nomadic Sparks 1, oreomunsta 11, Palmer_v1 5, Poltergust 18, rac 6, SkyOdin 17, squidyj 20, StanleyPalmtree 0, Swamped 3, TheExodu5 1, ultron87 2, WhereAreMahDragonz 29, Zubz 5

Day 1 ends:
cya_1492894800.png

12 votes for majority

here, lets do this
Vote: Poltergust

I feel so loved!

I don't have anything to put into my defense, though. There's not really anything I can offer here since we just started.

I mean, I wouldn't be the worst choice for a first lynching. Better me than someone who has a special role, even if it does mean I have to dip out of this game prematurely. If it comes to that, I want to do my best to help you guys before the end comes.

MafiaGAF pretty much always lynchs Day 1. That is something you are going to have to get used to playing here. I don't think MafiaGAF has done a No Lynch Vote Day 1 since season 1, maybe season 2.

Does MafiaGAF do hodors? Last time I played a mafia game scum was given 2 hodors because everyone picked them out on day 2.

Palmer_v1

Does MafiaGAF do hodors? Last time I played a mafia game scum was given 2 hodors because everyone picked them out on day 2.

My other forum automatically converts pony to hodor, so.... I have no idea.

It's from GoT. Someone who takes a (bullet) knife for someone else with an important role so they can stay alive in the game.

Oh, a bodyguard? That's not impossible. Doctor is more likely though.

im not late, you all just started playing too early!

i for one quite like squidys cop claim.
i dont for a second think that it is true, but it sure got a lot of discussion going, (particularly from many of our newer players, which is nice since getting a sense of who they are and how they play is a big help) and i think thats probably exactly what squidy was going for. a pretty good way to start off a Day 1.

honestly i think im coming away with a town lean on squidy, and thats not something that happens often.

Top Bottom