• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

v1lla21

awesome pic! I love monterey county!
Yeah, I love it. I used to come about every week either to Asilomar or all the way to garrapata state Beach. Not only are the beaches great but driving around down here is a blast.

I was having fun with a cayman on 17 mile. Got here super early so there weren't many cars.

the local ford dealer is selling performance pack mustang gts for under 30k and i'm sad
giphy.gif

Pinewood

Yeah, that's right. We have an insane amount of added taxes on luxury cars.

I have a friend in Belgium who wanted to buy a used Mustang but the annual tax is like 10k because it is calculated from the engine size, so he got a Mazda 6 instead.

This is why we need a hybrid Chrysler 300C like the Pacifica, V6/V8 paired with a battery

matmanx1

So do most of you folks own fancy/sporty cars? Like the 2 door cars or the ones focused on engines over back seat space, trunk space, etc?

Are most of you single or have a family and buy family vehicles?

Married but no kids. 42 yrs old. We decided in our early 20's when we got married that we were happy just being us and didn't feel the need for children. I say that because it has definitely influenced what I have bought and driven over the years.

Most days I drive a 2008 Mazda Miata MX-5 SE, 6 spd manual. This is my fun but thrifty car as the operating costs are very low.

On days with bad weather or if I am going on a longer trip or need more space I also have a 2004 Lexus GX470 suv. It's quiet, comfortable and roomy and is pretty much the polar opposite of the MX-5 in terms of driving experience. The upside of this is that driving one of my two vehicles immediately makes me appreciate something about the one I am not driving. The Mazda and the Lexus compliment each other very well and neither were expensive (Less than $15k on the Miata and less than $10k on the Lexus).

Okay guys I might want to get an 981 Boxster GTS now. :)

It's about 7-8k more used but comes with so many goodies the S should have had.

It's way to much bank now as it's still too new and depreciation hasn't really hit it yet. Once the new 718 GTS hits perhaps.

Sounds like a smart plan. The GTS package from Porsche is almost always going to be a smarter buy than a regular S version when all options are considered.

Took a shitty pic of CELena on 17 mile drive. Great driving weather.
f6zHJYK.jpg

CEL for "check engine light"? I hope not! Nice picture, though. I have always been a fan of the GTI.

v1lla21

CEL for "check engine light"? I hope not! Nice picture, though. I have always been a fan of the GTI.
Lol exactly for check engine light. It's a play on cel and Selena Gomez. Lol. Cel has only gone off twice. Once for carbon buildup and the other for the intake manifold.

KRaZyAmmo

I have a friend in Belgium who wanted to buy a used Mustang but the annual tax is like 10k because it is calculated from the engine size, so he got a Mazda 6 instead.

This is why we need a hybrid Chrysler 300C like the Pacifica, V6/V8 paired with a battery

Speaking of 300Cs....Liberty Walk is having a widebody for it (WIP)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How important is your car's entertainment system for you?

My buddy bought a brand new 2015 Mini Cooper S a couple years ago and loves it. But he hates the i-Drive system it uses, and told me he'll probably trade-up when they (BMW/Mini) offer wireless CarPlay.

That seemed...drastic to me. But he was totally serious. He drives A LOT, though, so maybe it means a lot more because of that, being stuck in his car 25,000+ miles a year.

TylerD

So do most of you folks own fancy/sporty cars? Like the 2 door cars or the ones focused on engines over back seat space, trunk space, etc?

Engaged, with a 32lb Boston Terrier and a 20lb Llaha Apso mix. She has a 2007 Toyota Camry XE that will be probably be upgraded to a 14-15 Merc GLK next year depending on if we find the right one. I have a 2006 BMW 330 coupe with an uncommon factory performance package and a 6spd manual. I think it's an awesome daily driver and quick enough to have fun in without breaking all the laws.

My buddy bought a brand new 2015 Mini Cooper S a couple years ago and loves it. But he hates the i-Drive system it uses, and told me he'll probably trade-up when they (BMW/Mini) offer wireless CarPlay.

That seemed...drastic to me. But he was totally serious. He drives A LOT, though, so maybe it means a lot more because of that, being stuck in his car 25,000+ miles a year.

Not very. Installed an aux jack in my car last year but used it much outside of work day trips or road trips. I just listen to NPR or car/road noises on commute days. Getting a newer car, I'd still pay the extra money for the upgraded entertainment system especially if it adds additional functionality or LEDs to the driver cluster like the M235i

burgerdog

Okay guys I might want to get an 981 Boxster GTS now. :)

It's about 7-8k more used but comes with so many goodies the S should have had.

It's way to much bank now as it's still too new and depreciation hasn't really hit it yet. Once the new 718 GTS hits perhaps.

GTS' are so weird because if you buy them new they're cheaper than an evenly optioned S and the opposite of you buy them used. I'm waiting for 981 C GTS to go down myself.

matmanx1

In the Miata, not extremely important. The previous owner installed a nice Kenwood head unit with bluetooth and phone/iPod connection in the glovebox so I use it but it's very secondary to my enjoyment of the car.

In the Lexus I actually replaced the two door speakers as they were disintegrated due to heat and age and for a 2004 car audio system it sounds decent. It has a 6 disc CD changer but no BT or phone/iPod hook ups and honestly it isn't a big deal. The Lexus is quiet so I can actually hear the music but beyond that I don't really need any more functionality.

ZOONAMI

My VW just has a basic unit with a CD player and an aux input. I installed an Aukey USB/AUX Bluetooth system and a dash mount that slots right in to the right of the head unit, and then a magnet in between my iPhone and phone case holds it on there. It's perfect.

I sort of wish I had a sub but I don't really want to take up the trunk space.

golem

Single
Daily: E92 M3
Weekend: GT4
Project/pile of junk: B5 S4 stage 3

I actually think iDrive is alright. Wish I had CarPlay in the Porsche though, PCM is a mess

KRaZyAmmo

While i may not have a car at the moment. As long as it has an bluetooth or aux it's fine. A/C is a must tho. Other than those 2, gut everything for the pursuit of lightness.

ascii42

I do like having CarPlay in the Caddy. The Malibu just had an aux input, so I would generally just stick to FM and XM radio. If I wanted to listen to my own music I'd usually use CDs rather than try to fiddle with my iPod or iPhone. It was far from a deal breaker, but CarPlay support was one of the points in the ATS's favor over the Chevy SS. And that was more for being able to have up to date maps without having to pay to update them every year. I could live without being able to listen to music off of my phone (and do when I drive older cars), but it's a nice feature to have.

The Focus RS has to be the stupidest car to shop for currently. These dealerships are ridiculous.

41965484bf535795e8518a5904553a838e52eea147310a4568905ada7dd35a3197b1c4f4.jpg

Under this dealership's mentality, by adding a $5000 dealership markup to the car over MSRP, they are saving me $10,000! How generous of them!

giphy.gif

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The Focus RS has to be the stupidest car to shop for currently. These dealerships are ridiculous.

Under this dealership's mentality, by adding a $5000 dealership markup to the car over MSRP, they are saving me $10,000! How generous of them!

giphy.gif

That is some shameless backwards-ass logic. Holy hell.

Does ANYONE fall for that, or do they just hope you have more money that sense?

giphy.gif

Just for fun I thought I'd check one of my local dealership's website. They have 6 in stock, and none with any markup. It must be a location thing. Though I also live in a big city and there's competition from other dealers.

AHH! I think I found a better deal on a Honda Accord!

2016, V6 Touring. 7K Lower KM. No accidents. About $2000 cheaper.

Is there a catch??

Keep in mind I have a $29,000 (before tax) 2016 Accord Touring with 27,000 KM, for $29,000 and it's not a V6.

ZOONAMI

AHH! I think I found a better deal on a Honda Accord!

2016, V6 Touring. 7K Lower KM. No accidents. About $2000 cheaper.

Is there a catch??

Keep in mind I have a $29,000 (before tax) 2016 Accord Touring with 27,000 KM, for $29,000 and it's not a V6.

If you are within the return period on your 4 cylinder I'd say go for it. If it was the same dealer that had the V6 black I'd probably just work with them on a swap though to save the stress on a full blown return and buying with a different dealer.

Lizardus

Yikes. Dealerships are treating the RS like the 2nd coming of christ. Its good but not 10k to 15k markup good.

Glad I went with Golf R instead of waiting for the RS.

SliChillax

Crazy.

You know how much a regular GT is here in The Netherlands? Over a 100 grand.
If I'm not mistaken, getting a manual option rather than automatic in a car is more experience in the Netherlands due to the fact that the emissions are slightly higher. As a petrol head, I would go crazy there.

jamsy

So my best friend bought a F-Type S. I still think my Evora looks better/more special, but these Jags are pretty cars. Also, the panoramic roof option is pretty awesome.

Sadly, I've learned that the latest F-Type models switched to electric steering. I've yet to drive it, but pretty sure I'm gonna be at least a bit disappointed in this regard.

Futaba

giphy.gif

Disgusting really, and calling a Focus RS a "speciality vehicle" is just... dude naw..

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So my best friend bought a F-Type S. I still think my Evora looks better/more special, but these Jags are pretty cars. Also, the panoramic roof option is pretty awesome.

Sadly, I've learned that the latest F-Type models switched to electric steering. I've yet to drive it, but pretty sure I'm gonna be at least a bit disappointed in this regard.

You'd be pretty wrong. When the electric steering debuted, the press couldn't even tell the difference. Jaguar literally held off on implementing it until it felt absolutely identical to the original setup of the first 2 years of F-Types. And having driven them many, many times - you simply can't tell the difference. All you'll notice is that the RPMs don't bounce a little bit at idle when you turn the wheel.

Skel1ingt0n

Tonight was the first time I actually used my car's power with purpose.

Two left lanes to get on the highway. Left most lane is completely full, and is now backed into the stop light 10 cars back... and yet nobody is in the rightmost lane. Pretty obvious, so I take the first spot at the red light to turn left in that lane. Big, lifted truck literally revs his engine while we're waiting, I didn't even put together he was being showy until after the fact. Light turns green, I get moving pretty normally... truck is my same speed. I speed up a little... truck speeds up. So I slow down, because I need to merge.... and he slows down. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I see what you're doing. Dropped it back into second at 3K RPM and floored it into 3rd and into 4th. 80mph in the blink of an eye and never saw the truck again, lol

Douchey as hell, but felt good.

Kind of a shame, though, honestly. I truly wasn't trying to be a dick and I don't think the truck would have given me any notice if I were driving my Jeep or something. People just automatically assume you're gonna be an asshole :-/

Yeah I've never heard of an auto loan that didn't put a lien on the title. They all work that way from what I understand. Are you sure the other place isn't doing the same thing but somehow has it worded differently?

Every auto loan that I have ever done the bank keeps the title until such time as I have paid off the loan in full or traded the car in (in which case the dealership pays off the note and the bank sends the title to them in your stead).

You guys made me wonder so I emailed Lightstream and asked them explicitly if this is an unsecured loan and they said yes. They also have on the paperwork that I should absolutely NOT put Lightstream as the lienholder on the title faxed from the dealership or the insurance form faxed to the insurance company because they don't want the paperwork hassle so just don't do it.

But now I'm starting to lean towards the Miata again, because the RF really seems amazing and in my area (Seattle) it would be wonderful to have a convertible in the summer and a hardtop in the winter. I mean if I plan on keeping the car long term, the cost difference up front isn't really that big a deal because the depreciation of the vehicle will be the same in the end after 5-10 years of happy ownership.

Married, got both a sports car and a family car.
2001 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-Spec 36k kms
2008 Lexus IS250 Sports Luxury 54k kms

Crappy pics:

gtr-and-lexus-1.jpg

gtr-and-lexus-2.jpg

matmanx1

I just wanted to reply to say that you should post more pics of your Evora. I love those. =)

You guys made me wonder so I emailed Lightstream and asked them explicitly if this is an unsecured loan and they said yes. They also have on the paperwork that I should absolutely NOT put Lightstream as the lienholder on the title faxed from the dealership or the insurance form faxed to the insurance company because they don't want the paperwork hassle so just don't do it.

But now I'm starting to lean towards the Miata again, because the RF really seems amazing and in my area (Seattle) it would be wonderful to have a convertible in the summer and a hardtop in the winter. I mean if I plan on keeping the car long term, the cost difference up front isn't really that big a deal because the depreciation of the vehicle will be the same in the end after 5-10 years of happy ownership.

If you didn't absolutely need or want the hardtop then you could get in to an MX-5 Club (that includes the LSD and upgraded wheel/tire and suspension) for less than $30k new. The RF is dead sexy but it's also being sold at quite a premium as compared to the softtop.

Edit - I just priced out both a soft top Club and an RF Club on Mazda's website and there's really only about 3 grand difference. Is the RF you looked at a Club or a Gran Touring?

Disgusting really, and calling a Focus RS a "speciality vehicle" is just... dude naw..

Yikes. Dealerships are treating the RS like the 2nd coming of christ. Its good but not 10k to 15k markup good.

Glad I went with Golf R instead of waiting for the RS.

Just for fun I thought I'd check one of my local dealership's website. They have 6 in stock, and none with any markup. It must be a location thing. Though I also live in a big city and there's competition from other dealers.

That is some shameless backwards-ass logic. Holy hell.

Does ANYONE fall for that, or do they just hope you have more money that sense?
UPDATE: After telling them I'm not going to pay a penny over MSRP, all of a sudden they decided that they will sell me the car for MSRP. $36995 after destination fee.

I think the RS isn't selling as well as they would have hoped. All I see are dealers saying they have such low allocation, and the car is so rare, yet every Ford dealer in SoCal has numerous cars sitting on their lot collecting dust. It's almost like Ford is throwing a bone to dealerships with the RS, using it as a car to get dealers tons of free markup.

Either way, I'm going to the dealer Saturday afternoon for a test drive and potentially buy. I'm pretty excited!
I run it a lot, its the most fun. But don't get it twisted, its not a bad thing to have traction control, use/stability on in case of emergency or caught off guard.

Remember also if you get it tuned those parameters can change as well. All four of the modes are tuned different than stock spec for my car for example. Throttle response, timing, etc.
I'm probably buying an RS1 in Frozen White on Saturday. You should work for Ford because you sold me.

Anion

My father is thinking of breaking the Merc streak we have going and switch to a 2016 Panamera Edition 4. It will be a HP/TQ decrease from his CLS 550, but the Porsche has some newer tech.

I know the 2017 model is out and looks fantastic, but is there anything else he should know about the 2016 Panamera?

DarkestHour

Banned
the local ford dealer is selling performance pack mustang gts for under 30k and i'm sad

Why are you sad? Go get one. I have a GT Premium PP and it's awesome. Under $30k is a steal but you will miss out on the premium stuff.

Regarding the RS topic, yes, they are EVERYWHERE now. I think I see them more than Focus STs. The hype is over and now they are easily found.

If you didn't absolutely need or want the hardtop then you could get in to an MX-5 Club (that includes the LSD and upgraded wheel/tire and suspension) for less than $30k new. The RF is dead sexy but it's also being sold at quite a premium as compared to the softtop.

Edit - I just priced out both a soft top Club and an RF Club on Mazda's website and there's really only about 3 grand difference. Is the RF you looked at a Club or a Gran Touring?

I looked at the Grand Touring. With the Gunmetal Gray paint it came out to exactly $35k including destination fee.

I'm concerned about the fact that the RF roof apparently offers 0.6 inches less headroom than the soft top. I'm tall enough that when I test drove the soft top, the cloth was touching my hair. I'm hoping the lower roof on the RF doesn't touch my head. :|

Top Bottom