On March 10, 1997 Buffy the Vampire Slayer aired on the still fledgling WB network. Following the critical failure of the movie, the show was entirely the vision of creator Joss Whedon. Check out the unaired pilot, shot in 1996.
I first watched the show last year and it’s definitely one of my favorites. The perfect blend of comedy and drama.
1. Favorite season?
Probably S3 for me. So many strong episodes, and the last high school season. It and S2 are the show at its peak, imo.
2. Favorite episode?
Without a doubt “The Body” (in addition to being my favorite episode of television).
3. Favorite character?
Either Xander or Cordelia. Both have significant development and are hilarious, heartfelt characters.
For those with Netflix, catch it while you can. Both Buffy and Angel may be leaving next month (hopefully they can keep them).
Some ongoing podcasts/media to check out for those who have already seen the show:
- Dusted: couple who unfortunately divorced recently (new co-host around roughly halfway through S6); completed five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel; currently going through S6 of Buffy (and have done some of Angel S3).
- Tiny Fences: two friends, one’s seen both shows, the other hasn’t; currently in S5 of Buffy; also giving mini Angel reviews at the end of their podcasts (and some episodes dedicated entirely to Angel episodes).
- Buffering the Vampire Slayer: couple who have both seen Buffy; create music that encapsulates each episode; currently in S2.
- Passion of the Nerd: YouTube video reviews of Buffy and Angel episodes; currently in S4 of Buffy (and S1 of Angel).
- Big Bad Buffy Interviews: interviews with the cast and crew of the show; so far they’ve interviewed Kristine Sutherland (Joyce), Marcia Shulman (casting director), David Fury (writer/director), Kristy Swanson (original Buffy), David Solomon (producer/director), Stephen Tobolowsky (principal in the unaired pilot), Doug Petrie (writer/director), and Clinton McClung (arranged screenings of OMWF around the country).
I’ll add these (and others anyone knows of) to the OP.