• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

MoxManiac
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:15 PM)
MoxManiac's Avatar

Originally Posted by Simply Sarah

I mean, you can try. I'm a bit doubtful that there's enough for that to really work though, especially in mono-red.

A mono-color deck consisting of the worst color in EDH? Challenge accepted!
alternade
Banned
(04-03-2017, 04:16 PM)
That red god is boring as hell, design and art. It would have at least been interesting if its ability was 1R or 3 damage.

Purphoros remains unbothered as the one true red god!
jph139
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:16 PM)
jph139's Avatar
I like Hazoret for my Feldon EDH deck, which always needs another way to get big flashy creatures in the graveyard. Being an indestructible attacker/blocker with 6 power doesn't hurt either.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:18 PM)
Familienoberhauptvogel's Avatar

Originally Posted by alternade

That red god is boring as hell, design and art. It would have at least been interesting if its ability was 1R or 3 damage.

Purphoros remains unbothered as the one true red god!

Purphoros is basically a reprint though.
OnPoint
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:20 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar
I've been hoping to misevaluate a red card for years now. Could this one be it? I think it's not very good, but could be pretty hard to deal with in Standard.
Simply Sarah
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:24 PM)
Simply Sarah's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnPoint

I've been hoping to misevaluate a red card for years now. Could this one be it? I think it's not very good, but could be pretty hard to deal with in Standard.

My take is that it's a good card that may or may not have a deck where it is playable.
OnPoint
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:26 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Simply Sarah

My take is that it's a good card that may or may not have a deck where it is playable.

I feel like its best chance in standard could be Madness, but who knows.

_________________

I know we're in spoiler season for the new set, but did anyone notice this before, or did I just catch it for the first time?

Santiako
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:27 PM)
Santiako's Avatar


I hate the redundant wording on this, but this card would've been so good with Smuggler's Copter. Still great though.
Familienoberhauptvogel
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:28 PM)
Familienoberhauptvogel's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnPoint

I know we're in spoiler season for the new set, but did anyone notice this before, or did I just catch it for the first time?

Jhoira is an agent of mogis? Saw this on reddit but made little sense back then. Not all horn shaped things are bolas.
OnPoint
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:29 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

Jhoira is an agent of mogis? Saw this on reddit but made little sense back then. Not all horn shaped things are bolas.

I'd be shocked if they put the literal Bolas horn shape on her sword hilt as a coincidence given how iconic they've made it in the game.
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(04-03-2017, 04:30 PM)
aidan's Avatar
At first I was surprised by how much I liked the flavour/art/etc. of these news cards--then I realized that it's because the Gatewatch aren't featured on any of them, and it reminds me of older sets that focused their creative energy on worldbuilding.

The red uncommon one-drop seems decent.
Santiako
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:30 PM)
Santiako's Avatar
It's just pliers

Simply Sarah
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:30 PM)
Simply Sarah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako



I hate the redundant wording on this, but this card would've been so good with Smuggler's Copter. Still great though.

Yeah. I sort of stared at it for a few seconds when I saw it. I actually think that instead of making things more clear it risks causing more confusion since it somewhat implies a cycled card isn't actually discarded. It's even more strange given that the cycling reminder text clearly states that it's a discard effect.
Metroidvania
People called Romanes they go the house?
(04-03-2017, 04:31 PM)
Metroidvania's Avatar

Originally Posted by jph139

I like Hazoret for my Feldon EDH deck, which always needs another way to get big flashy creatures in the graveyard. Being an indestructible attacker/blocker with 6 power doesn't hurt either.

Can't attack/block unless you've got 1 or fewer cards, though.

I don't see how you could keep up the burn in any sort of red EDH deck when you're cutting off your card access in order to get anything out of the god. Feldon gets some use out of the graveyard outlet, sure, but that seems pretty rough to try and pull off.

Yeah. I sort of stared at it for a few seconds when I saw it. I actually think that instead of making things more clear it risks causing more confusion since it somewhat implies a cycled card isn't actually discarded. It's even more strange given that the cycling reminder text clearly states that it's a discard effect.

Yeah, maybe something like 'cycle or otherwise discard a card' would be better, given that they're trying to make it work if you have other outlets? As is, its definitely muddy.
OnPoint
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:31 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

It's just pliers

[IM]http://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/cardart_DDS_Jhoira-of-the-Ghitu.jpg[/IMG]

HAH! I should have found the whole picture before assuming it was a sword hilt. Still, those are Bolas horns.
Supast4r
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:33 PM)
Supast4r's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Been discussing its potential as a curve topper in a red aggro deck in Modern. Not sure it could get there though.

Not while path is around. It also gets stonewalled by a goyf, shadow, Angler. Edh card
Santiako
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:38 PM)
Santiako's Avatar
Non promo Archfiend, look at that art! Seb McKinnon is a genius

Giant Panda
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:39 PM)
Giant Panda's Avatar

Originally Posted by Supast4r

Not while path is around. It also gets stonewalled by a goyf, shadow, Angler. Edh card

Well it kills the angler. And doesn't Goyf spend most of his time around a 4/5?
jph139
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:40 PM)
jph139's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metroidvania

Can't attack/block unless you've got 1 or fewer cards, though.

I don't see how you could keep up the burn in any sort of red EDH deck when you're cutting off your card access in order to get anything out of the god. Feldon gets some use out of the graveyard outlet, sure, but that seems pretty rough to try and pull off.

Yeah, it's not super great in any case. It's minimum 7 mana to get a single card into the graveyard, and that goes up to 10 to actually get it on the battlefield with Feldon. There's way more efficient ways to do that, and get better side benefits than ~6 damage.

The plus side is that Feldon (by virtue of being mono Red) is a pretty shitty commender anyways, so the bar is pretty low!
Infinite Stars
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:41 PM)
Infinite Stars's Avatar

Originally Posted by Giant Panda

Well it kills the angler. And doesn't Goyf spend most of his time around a 4/5?

Not Nowdays, where he gets up to 8/9 because of Death's Shadow Jund
twobear
sputum-flecked apoplexy
(04-03-2017, 04:45 PM)
twobear's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

Yeah, it's not like Purphoros is good or anything.

I was referring to the gearhulks not the Theros gods.
divisionbyzorro
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:53 PM)
divisionbyzorro's Avatar
I kind of like the new god mechanics. In Theros, the gods "disappeared" if you didn't believe in them. Here, they still hang out, but just don't give a shit.
Tunoku
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:54 PM)
Tunoku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Familienoberhauptvogel

Delirium will be so trvial to activate if just one spell in these colours is playable.

That is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the card. Personally, it's pretty exciting because I love playing with Traverse and Ishkanah.
Supast4r
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:55 PM)
Supast4r's Avatar

Originally Posted by Giant Panda

Well it kills the angler. And doesn't Goyf spend most of his time around a 4/5?

Goyf is regularly a 5/6, 6/7 these days since deaths shadow was a thing. This also can't get passed a shadow. If it's playable in modern, it would be in some kind of 8 rack deck as a top curved and even that's hard since 8 rack only gets to 3 mana.
Hero
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:55 PM)
Hero's Avatar
So that's all the spoilers we get today? What a shitty way to kick off spoiler season.
Hex
Member
(04-03-2017, 04:58 PM)
Hex's Avatar
Why did it have to be mummies.....I have fought for at least three years to stay away from M:TG
Santiako
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:03 PM)
Santiako's Avatar


Non-promo version.
Tunoku
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:05 PM)
Tunoku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hero

So that's all the spoilers we get today? What a shitty way to kick off spoiler season.

Yeah, they should have started with a Planeswalker as well. At least Nissa.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(04-03-2017, 05:06 PM)
charlequin's Avatar

Originally Posted by ThLunarian

It's good that they've finally acknowledged that the way a zombie acts isn't actually black at all. Next step should be green and/or red zombies in another setting.

Mono-red's a little harder to sell IMO, you wouldn't really have a passionate and emotional zombie unless you stretch the definition a good bit. Green is pretty easy and territory they've already touched on, they just generally make these green/black instead of mono-green.

Originally Posted by Hero

So that's all the spoilers we get today? What a shitty way to kick off spoiler season.

They start literally every spoiler season with a Timmy card in Maro's article and limited fodder in the mechanics article. This is why they started a day early with the bikelands. Also these days they like to give most of the tournament card previews to third parties and those often share later in the day to get their own spotlight.
duxstar
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:14 PM)
Red god is terrible ....

Wow , like really bad.

The funny part is they spoiled the green crocodile next to it, which seems better.

Let me see a 5/4 haste in red for 3r that cant attack or block unless im out of cards/near out of cards vs a 5/4 haste that has to put a -1/-1 counter on one of my creatures... so yes if i top deck him hes a 4/3 haste , but still a playable

There a few corner case scenarios where the red god is better , but yeah .... not at all a fan
ThLunarian
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:16 PM)
ThLunarian's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin

Mono-red's a little harder to sell IMO, you wouldn't really have a passionate and emotional zombie unless you stretch the definition a good bit. Green is pretty easy and territory they've already touched on, they just generally make these green/black instead of mono-green.


I think you could do an angry or vengeful zombie pretty easily. Vengeance sort of bleeds into black, but anger is straight up red
Toxi
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:17 PM)
Toxi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

First god:

Man, this is really boring compared to Purphoros.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(04-03-2017, 05:19 PM)
charlequin's Avatar


hazoret the pervert singlehandedly makes the invocations worthwhile imo
Familienoberhauptvogel
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:21 PM)
Familienoberhauptvogel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Toxi

Man, this is really boring compared to Purphoros.

they made purphoros generic in retrospect

Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:25 PM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako



Non-promo version.

Awaiting the playtest version that's just named "top down sphinx of Egypt"
Simply Sarah
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:28 PM)
Simply Sarah's Avatar

Originally Posted by duxstar

Red god is terrible ....

Wow , like really bad.

The funny part is they spoiled the green crocodile next to it, which seems better.

Let me see a 5/4 haste in red for 3r that cant attack or block unless im out of cards/near out of cards vs a 5/4 haste that has to put a -1/-1 counter on one of my creatures... so yes if i top deck him hes a 4/3 haste , but still a playable

There a few corner case scenarios where the red god is better , but yeah .... not at all a fan

You're comparing a 5/4 indestructible haste create with a functional ability for 3X to an effective 4/3 haste creature for 3X. They may both be aggressive creatures but they're also quite different and Hazoret has a lot more upside.
Maledict
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:33 PM)
Maledict's Avatar

Originally Posted by divisionbyzorro

I kind of like the new god mechanics. In Theros, the gods "disappeared" if you didn't believe in them. Here, they still hang out, but just don't give a shit.

Yep, mechanically this is a home run. In Theros you had to believe in the gods, but here the gods don't need your belief - they want you to *do* something. You get their favour by following their commands, and if you don't then they don't disappear, they just don't help you.

It's themeatically a good way of keeping the established style for gods they set-up in Theros, whilst also keeping them grounded in a very different way.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(04-03-2017, 05:39 PM)
charlequin's Avatar


So the leaked card we saw was "Dawn (to) Dusk."

BTW, I feel like Destined (to) Lead makes it clearer why this is done better as a split-card-style mechanic than a flashback variant.

Originally Posted by Maledict

Yep, mechanically this is a home run. In Theros you had to believe in the gods, but here the gods don't need your belief - they want you to *do* something. You get their favour by following their commands, and if you don't then they don't disappear, they just don't help you.

Yeah, it fits the in-character description of how the two pantheons differ very precisely. It's a good mechanical hook too.
Last edited by charlequin; 04-03-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Rafy
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:45 PM)
Rafy's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin



hazoret the pervert singlehandedly makes the invocations worthwhile imo

I cannot unsee that now...
Cosmo Clock 21
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:47 PM)
Cosmo Clock 21's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin



So the leaked card we saw was "Dawn (to) Dusk."

BTW, I feel like Destined (to) Lead makes it clearer why this is done better as a split-card-style mechanic than a flashback variant.

Trick... was right??
Tunoku
Member
(04-03-2017, 05:49 PM)
Tunoku's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin



hazoret the pervert singlehandedly makes the invocations worthwhile imo

Between Blaze and this, the Invocation font kind of redeemed itself.
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(04-03-2017, 05:59 PM)
charlequin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunoku

Between Blaze and this, the Invocation font kind of redeemed itself.

I'm trying to come up with other good cards to fit an NSFW romance red deck now starring this chick and Enthralling Victor.
Joe Molotov
(04-03-2017, 06:01 PM)
Joe Molotov's Avatar
Ass (to) Mouth
Poppy
Member
(04-03-2017, 06:03 PM)
Poppy's Avatar
down (to) fuck
OnPoint
Member
(04-03-2017, 06:10 PM)
OnPoint's Avatar

Originally Posted by charlequin

I'm trying to come up with other good cards to fit an NSFW romance red deck now starring this chick and Enthralling Victor.

Didn't they imply Enthralling Victor was gay? Maybe it was on Maro's blog? Or was that just fan fiction in here.
Jhriad
Member
(04-03-2017, 06:20 PM)
Jhriad's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cosmo Clock 21

Trick... was right??

Still should've been DFCs instead of the ugly Split card template.
aidan
Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
(04-03-2017, 06:28 PM)
aidan's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Didn't they imply Enthralling Victor was gay? Maybe it was on Maro's blog? Or was that just fan fiction in here.

Non-legendary creatures don't represent an individual (and are genderless as a result). So, some Enthralling Victors are gay, some aren't.
Simply Sarah
Member
(04-03-2017, 06:30 PM)
Simply Sarah's Avatar
Going back a bit to what MaRo has to say about the new gods in his article today:

Amonkhet has a cycle of five monocolor Gods. They each have two keyword abilities, one of which is indestructible. They have a condition they need to meet to be able to attack and block and then they have an activated ability that helps them reach that condition. Creatively, to match the source material, all the Gods are animal-headed.

This seems like a recipe for disappointing a lot of players. I get that these don't have the enchantment factor that the Theros gods had which resulted in them being flavoured largely like enchantments with a conditional body attached but this seems to indicate they'll all be relatively similar to to Hazoret. Now, this is fine and could result in them all being very solid cards but, given how lukewarm (or worse) many players seem to be over Hazoret, it doesn't seem like it'll get the Timmys and general player base excited.
Poppy
Member
(04-03-2017, 06:32 PM)
Poppy's Avatar
pisses me off that they dont have animal creature types in addition to god, that would have been very preferable for dumb edh things which is the only reason i even play magic other than draft lul

but thats just the way it goes i spose
charlequin
Loving Husband. Caring Admin. Secret Octopus.
(04-03-2017, 06:36 PM)
charlequin's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Didn't they imply Enthralling Victor was gay?

Maybe they aren't a couple and they just run a BDSM dungeon together.

Thread Tools