• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

PSqueak
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:13 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Very Berry Sunday

Jesus Christ if you count Fictional people

Michael Jackson if you count only real people.

Congratulatoions, you haven't been reading this thread.
Red Arremer
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:13 AM)
Red Arremer's Avatar

Originally Posted by DukeSilverHaze

Adolph Hitler

Everything evil gets compared to him

Yet nobody gets his first name right.
It's Adolf btw.
Gabriel_Logan
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:14 AM)
Gabriel_Logan's Avatar

Originally Posted by OG Shaka Zulu

What is this Jesus ain't real stuff? He was real right, just not God?

A majority of historians agree he actually existed despite scarce primary sources. GAF loves to pretend otherwise.
ccbfan
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:14 AM)
lol the fact that Caesar is even mentioned shows how euro centric this forum is.

I can name at least 10 historical worlds leaders that's more known than Caesar.

As of now it's probably Michael Jackson. Having east and south asia know you is very important in this discussion.
Gabriel_Logan
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Gabriel_Logan's Avatar

Originally Posted by ccbfan

lol the fact that Caesar is even mentions shows how euro centric this forum is.

I can name at least 10 historical worlds leaders that's more known than Caesar.

Lets hear them.
Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(04-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Soapbox Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mimosa97

Did you like Louis CK's last special ?

I didn't see it. Does he cover this in some way?
PSqueak
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Red Arremer

Yet nobody gets his first name right.
It's Adolf btw.

He's so famous, you could misspell his first name way worse and people still would know who you're talking about.
Red Arremer
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:15 AM)
Red Arremer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gabriel_Logan

Lets hear them.

Napoleon

...

Oh, right. :(
HaloRose
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:16 AM)

Originally Posted by ccbfan

lol the fact that Caesar is even mentioned shows how euro centric this forum is.

I can name at least 10 historical worlds leaders that's more known than Caesar.
.

It's funny when you asked someone about romans they said caesar they're better leaders or emperors then him.
Last_colossi
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:16 AM)
Last_colossi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Doukou

I'd imagine a good chunk of people don't know that Walt Disney was a person before a company in America let alone worldwide. Mickey's popularity is debatable but I don't think he is that recognizable in newer generations.

Ah very true, I didn't think of that.

But since we're talking about newer generations, do you think kids today know about Jesus as much as previous generations?
mdubs
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:17 AM)
mdubs's Avatar
Hitler has only gone about 90 years with most people in the world knowing about him, so that's definitely less than the number of people who have known of Jesus historically.

Originally Posted by Morrigan Stark

Nah, Jesus' own existence isn't really confirmed either.

Last edited by mdubs; 04-21-2017 at 01:20 AM.
UFO
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:17 AM)
Mark Walberg.
PSqueak
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:17 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by mdubs

Hitler has only gone about 90 years with most people in the world knowing about him, so that's definitely less than the number of people who have known of Jesus historically.

Tho we're assuming "most famous" among people alive today, no? that was my assumption, at least.
RickFrick'n
Junior Member
(04-21-2017, 01:19 AM)
RickFrick'n's Avatar
Are we including populations who have died in the number of humans who recognise a historical figure? Or are we talking "Who's the most famous human for people living right now"? If it's the former, then folks like Hitler, Elvis, or Walt are almost certainly out.

For my money I would say Mr. Alexander the Great. That guy, and his notoriety, got around!
ForsakenLotus
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:19 AM)
ForsakenLotus's Avatar

Originally Posted by UFO

Mark Walberg.

Please be wrong. Please!
LegalEagleMike
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:19 AM)
LegalEagleMike's Avatar
Jest Chillin
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:19 AM)
Jest Chillin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Last_colossi

Ah very true, I didn't think of that.

But since we're talking about newer generations, do you think kids today know about Jesus as much as previous generations?

Yes. Even in areas of the world where religions that reference him aren't as prominent as they once were, kids have heard of him.
HaloRose
Banned
(04-21-2017, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by RickFrick'n

Are we including populations who have died in the number of humans who recognise a historical figure? Or are we talking "Who's the most famous human for people living right now"? If it's the former, then folks like Hitler, Elvis, or Walt are almost certainly out.

For my money I would say Mr. Alexander the Great. That guy, and his notoriety, got around!

hannibal barca too :)
D4Danger
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:20 AM)
D4Danger's Avatar
Neil Armstrong
spiderman123
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:21 AM)
spiderman123's Avatar
Well according to the web and youtube. Taylor Swift.
Last_colossi
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:22 AM)
Last_colossi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jest Chillin

Yes. Even in areas of the world where religions that reference him aren't as prominent as they once were, kids have heard of him.

That sounds about right, even if kids don't know exactly who he was they would probably at least know his name I guess.
louiedog
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:23 AM)
louiedog's Avatar
Ariana Grande
Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(04-21-2017, 01:23 AM)
Soapbox Killer's Avatar
It might be Micheal Jackson or even Trump. More people live on Earth now than in history combined( correct me if i'm wrong), couple that with the Internet making the world smaller and Billions of people know the name Donald Trump.
Cocaloch
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:23 AM)
Cocaloch's Avatar

Originally Posted by ForsakenLotus

I guess another way to look at the question is should we allow somebody who may very well have not existed at all if enough people believe that person existed? Or should the line be there at all?

I mean at a certain point that is true all historical figures. This is a spectrum. You can draw a line, but because it is a spectrum it will ultimately be arbitrary.

Originally Posted by ForsakenLotus

It's possible that my perspective is just wrong. I don't know. There just seems to be a difference between somebody who we think we know a decent bit about their life, like Julius Caesar, and somebody like Jesus who we have sparse information on the man we believe is Jesus but little evidence that backs up a lot of what most people would say happened in his life.

What about people we know less about but are more sure they existed? That's the root of the issue. The conception of a person and the person themselves are not the same thing, and I don't believe there is a way out of that problem. We know very few of the things that happened in Ceaser's life, and much of what we do know is filtered through a variety of means.

The other problem this runs into is that it would work against all famous people, since something that comes along with fame is having things misattributed to you. Look at all the fake Einstein quotes for instance.

Originally Posted by ForsakenLotus

To pose a crude metaphor, in Iron Man 3 an actor played the role of the Mandarin. If 1,000 years later 35% of people in the world believed the fictional version of the character was actually the real person and scholars could only agree that the guy existed and a few other events while the majority of his life was hotly contested, how would he fit in the debate?

What does it mean to believe that the "fictional version was the real person". I assume you mean people accepting that the movie was a record of events that happened, which is the sticking point I doubt people would do that, and that the character he played was not a character being played by someone. Without knowing the alternative, i.e. people aware that the character itself was a fabrication, he would have to be taken seriously as a historical figure. That's the nature of our knowledge of the past.
Last edited by Cocaloch; 04-21-2017 at 01:29 AM.
830920
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:24 AM)
830920's Avatar
Macaulay Culkin
mdubs
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:24 AM)
mdubs's Avatar
If you exclude religious figures and the Prime Minister, I bet in Canada it would be Tim Horton, but in an ethereal way where people don't really realize he was a real person and not a coffee shop
Crayolan
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:24 AM)
Crayolan's Avatar
Not seeing many mentions of Mao Zedong, though I doubt he can contend for *the* most famous, he's gotta be up there.

Originally Posted by OG Shaka Zulu

What is this Jesus ain't real stuff? He was real right, just not God?

Jesus was a real person. I guess a lot people assume he's just a symbol for god because they automatically dismiss religion. While we're at it, Buddha was a real person too.
Last edited by Crayolan; 04-21-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Jumeira
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:27 AM)
Religious founders and they will continue to be as long as Humans continue to roam earth.

Contemporary terms, Michael Jackson, Hitler, Muhammad Ali, Lionel Messi
ccbfan
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Gabriel_Logan

Lets hear them.

Ghandi
Mao
Hitler
Genghis khan
Kublai khan
Stalin
MLK
Lenin
George Washington.
Muhammad

Probably a bunch of east and south Asian leaders I don't know about since my school only taught European and American history.
spazchicken
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:30 AM)
spazchicken's Avatar

Originally Posted by nomis


Sipping on OJ while eating a cheap pizza, both bought from the same location.

Von Krukru
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:30 AM)
Von Krukru's Avatar
Sasha Grey
TheUntamedLegend
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:32 AM)
Hitler has got to have the most recognizable face, right?
Numb
(04-21-2017, 01:33 AM)
Numb's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lactose_Intolerant

Michael Jackson

Even tribes in the Amazon know who he is.

Michael transcends all
NewGame
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:33 AM)
NewGame's Avatar
How do you rank this, people who know the name? Because I'm sure a lot of people know about a guy called Jesus but I'm pretty sure very few actually read accounts of him.

Like another one I see mentioned a lot is Elvis, who I know by name but I'm pretty sure I've never heard any of his songs or know anything about him.
Air
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:34 AM)
Air's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mimosa97

Religious figure : Jesus
Historical figure : Hitler
Entertainer : Michael Jackson
Sportstar : Mohamed Ali
Scientist : Einstein

Fair
Roberto Larcos
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Crayolan

Not seeing many mentions of Mao Zedong, though I doubt he can contend for *the* most famous, he's gotta be up there.

Would Stalin not beat Mao?

As for sportsperson, I'd have to say Pelé, Maradona, Ronaldo, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi. Boxing misses India. NBA misses most of the world.
Last edited by Roberto Larcos; 04-21-2017 at 01:38 AM.
PSqueak
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:34 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jumeira

Contemporary terms, Michael Jackson, Hitler, Muhammad Ali, Lionel Messi

One of these is not like the others...
sneas78
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:34 AM)
Punjab Pelefresso.
Red Arremer
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:35 AM)
Red Arremer's Avatar

Originally Posted by ccbfan

Ghandi
Mao
Hitler
Genghis khan
Kublai khan
Stalin
MLK
Lenin
George Washington.
Muhammad

Probably a bunch of east and south Asian leaders I don't know about since my school only taught European and American history.

It's Gandhi.
And no way are Lenin, Kublai Khan or even MLK more well-known than the single most well-known Roman emperor. The others might be arguable.
Numb
(04-21-2017, 01:35 AM)
Numb's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSqueak

One of these is not like the others...

Soccer balls still replacing people's brains
CrazedProfessional
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:37 AM)
CrazedProfessional's Avatar
The Queen.
MushroomSamba
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:37 AM)
MushroomSamba's Avatar
Michael Jordan.
Yoshimitsu126
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:38 AM)
Yoshimitsu126's Avatar
Ronald McDonald
Santiako
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:38 AM)
Santiako's Avatar

Originally Posted by PSqueak

One of these is not like the others...

I guarantee you that messi is better known worldwide than Ali.
Tyaren
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:39 AM)
Tyaren's Avatar
Sad to say this, but it is probably Hitler. The guy is literally everywhere and gets brought up all the time, even in instances where he really shouldn't. Also, the huge impact he had on the world we now live in. We still feel the aftershocks of WW2 around the world.
JABEE
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:39 AM)
JABEE's Avatar



.

Julius Caesar, Martin Luther, Shakespeare, Jesus from the Bible, John Lennon, Michael Jordan, MLK, Gandhi, Hitler
Last edited by JABEE; 04-21-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Chmpocalypse
Blizzard
(04-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
Chmpocalypse's Avatar
That actually existed? Tough call.

Mythologically speaking, with no real evidence they were a real person? Probably Jesus.
Kurdel
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:40 AM)
Kurdel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Arc

It's gotta be Julius Caesar right?

Why would you say that?

Was this thread to settle a bet you just lost?
Roberto Larcos
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Chmpocalypse

That actually existed? Tough call.

Mythologically speaking, with no real evidence they were a real person? Probably Jesus.

If you ignore the huge weight of historical evidence, sure.
PSqueak
Member
(04-21-2017, 01:43 AM)
PSqueak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Santiako

I guarantee you that messi is better known worldwide than Ali.

Is he really? is he?

Originally Posted by Numb

Soccer balls still replacing people's brains

But still, Messi is not even the best known soccer player, is he more famous than any of the Ronaldos, Pelé or Maradona?

Thread Tools