Originally Posted by Jobbs

(For context, the original)

Adam_Vania
(04-21-2017, 03:10 PM)
kids, don't do what commercials tell you
Sapiens
(04-21-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by ZealousD

You said her past commercial was a mistake. Do you even remember what the original commercial was about?

I remember laughing hysterically at how lame it was. We just made fun of it endlessly and whatever message it had was lost.

The best drug education I got as a kid was not cheesy art. It was being told exactly what drugs were, what they looked like, who did them (anyone - they can be sexy models like Cook), and that anyone can ruin their fucking lives doing them. Obvious straight forward shit. We were told what the risks were - I don't recall a lot of "Don't", but a lot of "do it if you want to be a fucking loser the rest of your life" but this was Canada.
Last edited by Sapiens; 04-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.
sixteen-bit
(04-21-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

Rachael Leigh Cook just got herself an invite to the cookout. Didn't see that coming today.

Rachel Leigh Cookout
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(04-21-2017, 03:12 PM)

Originally Posted by AtomicShroom

Yea that very aatractove young woman aged into an even more attractive older woman.

Surely the ravages of age and time.

Great commercial
legacyzero
(04-21-2017, 03:15 PM)
I still love you Rachael.

Also, I want to post this to my Facebook feed so the White Conservatives there can be like "NUH-UH! Where's the PROOF?!"
Strike
(04-21-2017, 03:22 PM)

She's barely aged at all.
Jobbs
Ghostly member
(04-21-2017, 03:24 PM)

Originally Posted by captive

seriously i dont get those comments. The first commercial is saying dont take heroin, nowhere is it supporting the drug war.

I don't know that the original commercial was negative, but it was useless. "Drugs are bad m'kay" isn't interesting to me, it's overly simplistic, and I think time has shown that it's not effective.
PillarEN
(04-21-2017, 03:25 PM)
Nice. That's a clever ad.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 03:27 PM)

I don't know that the original commercial was negative, but it was useless. "Drugs are bad m'kay" isn't interesting to me, it's overly simplistic, and I think time has shown that it's not effective.

It was super dramatic considering 90's broadcast standards. And I don't get where you got the equivalency of a nagging finger from it when it first aired. Maybe you weren't aware of heroin chic.
Robdraggoo
(04-21-2017, 03:30 PM)
Wow, I didn't realize that was her in the original. Pretty cool.
Randomizer
(04-21-2017, 03:31 PM)

Haha I say this all the time. Although I don't really think it applies here, she hasn't aged badly and looks younger than her actual age.
MsKrisp
(04-21-2017, 05:43 PM)

At the time I was a child dealing with a family member on heroin, and I found it to be really accurate. Only drug PSA I found to be truthful. It was not a simplistic drugs are bad message it was specifically regarding heroin.
Last edited by MsKrisp; 04-21-2017 at 05:45 PM.
CreepingFear
(04-21-2017, 05:45 PM)
I would still do her.
sixteen-bit
(04-21-2017, 05:47 PM)

Originally Posted by CreepingFear

I would still do her.

Thanks for letting us know
ghostofsparta
(04-21-2017, 05:49 PM)
"It doesn't work"

no actually it works extremely well. It gets black/brown people in prison which is what the lawmakers really care about. Find something that all people do, but enforce it far more on dark skin people. Legal and effective
Angry Grimace
Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I would still do her.

My guess is that the feeling isn't mutual, NeoGAF Member CreepingFear
Sapiens

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

You're welcome.
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(04-21-2017, 05:50 PM)
what a great ad

what a series of gross posts
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(04-21-2017, 05:50 PM)
Damn, Rachael.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(04-21-2017, 05:52 PM)
Well..didn't see that coming lol. Good stuff.
dawgparty
So many shitties in this thread. Why is the immediate response to comment on how she looks?
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
I like this ad better.
ReAxion
so who's paying to get that on tv
CreepingFear
(04-21-2017, 05:54 PM)

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Any time.

Originally Posted by Angry Grimace

My guess is that the feeling isn't mutual, NeoGAF Member CreepingFear

Well, duh!

In all seriousness, it was in response to the posts that stated she looked old.
capitalCORN

Originally Posted by ReAxion

so who's paying to get that on tv

TV doesn't matter anymore. The old farts who channel flip through the cable lineup are well past their due date. The war is on social media now.

Well, duh!

Josie and the Pussycats = Peak Rachel Leigh Cook. Yes, I made the effort to watch it.
JasonMCG
RLC was my first Hollywood crush.
WAR recon zero
(04-21-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by JasonMCG

RLC was my first Hollywood crush.

This
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by capitalCORN

TV doesn't matter anymore. The old farts who channel flip through the cable lineup are well past their due date. The war is on social media now.

my friend, fox news has created a completely distorted reality for the people who vote the most, and that's a tv channel, not a social network.
AlexFlame116
(04-21-2017, 05:59 PM)
Well this thread is off to a great start.
Dash_Riprock
(04-21-2017, 06:03 PM)

Originally Posted by AlexFlame116

I'm not sure if the "LOL she's old!" and "I'd hit it" comments are better or worse than having the racist AllLivesMatter junior alt accounts crawling out from their holes.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:04 PM)

my friend, fox news has created a completely distorted reality for the people who vote the most, and that's a tv channel, not a social network.

And where do you think they take that fight?
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 06:06 PM)

And where do you think they take that fight?

the voting booth. your assertion that tv doesn't matter is extremely naive.
rjinaz
(04-21-2017, 06:08 PM)
Glad to see RLC involved with this video. Strong and accurate message.
Aztechnology
(04-21-2017, 06:09 PM)

Originally Posted by AlexFlame116

I imagine people are reacting this way because GAF generally has reached a consensus on the issue and agree. It's almost impossible to see that and not agree, I know there are always excpetions to the rule but I feel pretty safe In saying it's pretty staunchly the rule in this case.

Great ad, hopefully YouTube coverage is enough. No networks are showing it I assume?
Last edited by Aztechnology; 04-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Just_myles
(04-21-2017, 06:09 PM)
Accurate and I definitely approve.
Omadahl
Banned
(04-21-2017, 06:10 PM)
Great commercial and effective as well. I'm fully pissed off again at society and I was enjoying a nice five minute break.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:14 PM)

the voting booth. your assertion that tv doesn't matter is extremely naive.

And you do not understand that those who subscribe to Fox, Breitbart, Daily Stormer, etc. are not the ones who'll flip their vote. They're happy enough getting their genitals massaged by a cadre of messengers, not journalists. The fight takes place where the Bernie voters are, the Jill Stein idiots, the 'both sides are equal' audience. In the age of dross, it takes a million criers to send facts over fiction. In the end, war isn't about obliteration, but demoralization.
RecRoulette
(04-21-2017, 06:18 PM)
Fantastic ad, didn't see that coming.
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 06:33 PM)

And you do not understand that those who subscribe to Fox, Breitbart, Daily Stormer, etc. are not the ones who'll flip their vote. They're happy enough getting their genitals massaged by a cadre of messengers, not journalists. The fight takes place where the Bernie voters are, the Jill Stein idiots, the 'both sides are equal' audience. In the age of dross, it takes a million criers to send facts over fiction. In the end, war isn't about obliteration, but demoralization.

what are you even talking about? this needs to be reaching as many people as possible. tv matters, and you're totally wrong to think it doesn't.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:36 PM)

what are you even talking about? this needs to be reaching as many people as possible. tv matters, and you're totally wrong to think it doesn't.

Look at all that ground they've covered!:
https://twitter.com/the_greenpoint?lang=en

Why do you believe this will ever make it to air?
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 06:38 PM)

Look at all that ground they've covered!:
https://twitter.com/the_greenpoint?lang=en

Why do you believe this will ever make it to air?

we're not speaking the same language anymore. what about me asking who is going to pay for it to be on tv leads you to thinking i believe it will make it to air?
Lord Fagan
(04-21-2017, 06:43 PM)
This is an impressive ad.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(04-21-2017, 06:44 PM)
Great message and a powerful counterpoint/followup to the original.

The War on Drugs has been a costly, life destroying, miserable failure. It needs to be tossed deep in the trash-bin of history, not resurrected and strengthened by the law-and-order crowd.
capitalCORN
(04-21-2017, 06:48 PM)

we're not speaking the same language anymore. what about me asking who is going to pay for it to be on tv leads you to thinking i believe it will make it to air?

Your end goal is to see it propagate on air, is it not? With your calls of the importance of airtime, I would assume as much. This video has a better chance at traction on twitter with people like us pushing the message, than it does a TV network sacrificing advertising dollars for an organization with less posts than my own twitter.
ReAxion
(04-21-2017, 06:54 PM)

Your end goal is to see it propagate on air, is it not? With your calls of the importance of airtime, I would assume as much. This video has a better chance at traction on twitter with people like us pushing the message, than it does a TV network sacrificing advertising dollars for an organization with less posts than my own twitter.

okay i'm starting to get you. what i was asking is who is going to step up and pay for this because it should be paid for, by someone who does have the money to sacrifice for an organization with less posts than your own twitter. because i think that would be a very good thing. i think that could be more important than propagating it via social media, where everything gets buried quickly because the news cycle is 1/3 of a day. it also does very little to change anyone's mind because anyone sharing already agrees. you gotta blast it at people who aren't in their own bubble. but i'm less interested in arguing that last point.
Steeped in a Sea of Games
(04-21-2017, 06:54 PM)
I'm honestly not feeling it. The message is on point, but the animations don't do it for me.
LizardKing
(04-21-2017, 06:56 PM)
Good video and all too true but the point should have been made that the war on drugs is destructive to everyone's lives. Like I'm not sure if they are saying it's a bad policy because it's racist (when in actuality it's the implementation of it that's racist) or because it's too heavy handed for whoever is caught. There are about the same amount of white people in prison for drugs whose lives will also be destroyed as well as black people because of our stupid fucking policies.
kaioshade
(04-21-2017, 07:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

I'm not sure if the "LOL she's old!" and "I'd hit it" comments are better or worse than having the racist AllLivesMatter junior alt accounts crawling out from their holes.

Its coming...

Originally Posted by LizardKing

Good video and all too true but the point should have been made that the war on drugs is destructive to everyone's lives. Like I'm not sure if they are saying it's a bad policy because it's racist (when in actuality it's the implementation of it that's racist) or because it's too heavy handed for whoever is caught. There are about the same amount of white people in prison for drugs whose lives will also be destroyed as well as black people because of our stupid fucking policies.

There we go.
adamsappel
(04-21-2017, 07:01 PM)
I actually liked the original "brain on drugs" commercial the first time I saw it. I was high as shit at the time.