• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

sugarhigh4242
Banned
(04-21-2017, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Brawly Likes to Brawl

They could've asked Trump to appoint that Center-Right judge they cockblocked for a year.

In all seriousness, what incentive does Trump have to do that? Obama made a terrible bet that Clinton was going to win, so there's no need to fight for Garland (who sucks anyway let's be real), and Clinton can re-nominate him or someone else. The Democrats are terrible at this, but they keep insisting they're the serious adults who "know how to get things done".
BoogieWoogie
(04-21-2017, 02:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Amory

Stock market has gone up

Debatable that Trump caused this.
Albino_Yeti
(04-21-2017, 02:56 PM)

Originally Posted by sugarhigh4242

He withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/23/u...ade-nafta.html

I don't have total faith that he won't reverse himself on this, but it is a major accomplishment for good. Probably the only one.

This is definitely the most notable thing he's done I'd say. A good thing too, in my opinion.
Kurdel
(04-21-2017, 02:57 PM)

In all seriousness, what incentive does Trump have to do that? Obama made a terrible bet that Clinton was going to win, so there's no need to fight for Garland (who sucks anyway let's be real), and Clinton can re-nominate him or someone else. The Democrats are terrible at this, but they keep insisting they're the serious adults who "know how to get things done".

Please educate me, what steps could Oba,a have taken to force an appointee with both houses of congress filled with obstructionist republicans?
digita1alchemy
(04-21-2017, 02:57 PM)
I mean, define "accomplish". He's done some stuff, sure, but if I went outside took a huge shit in my own front yard, would I really be accomplishing anything?
NandoGip
(04-21-2017, 02:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Amory

Pulled out of the TPP

Stock market has gone up

Good point
Dude Abides
(04-21-2017, 02:59 PM)
Virtually everything hrs accomplished are things the President can do unilaterally. Everything he's tried that requires other people to agree has been a failure. He's not good at making deals.
Caj814
(04-21-2017, 02:59 PM)
Dismantling Obama's accomplishments
RPGCrazied
(04-21-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Caj814

Dismantling Obama's accomplishments

The only reason he ran for President. Lets be honest. That white house dinner where he got roasted and got his little feelings hurt. He wanted revenge, that is what kind of man he is.
KingV
(04-21-2017, 03:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Mesoian

I mean, he put a giant shunt in American tourism and made immigration a lot more frustrating and dangerous.

That's...kind of it.

Fuck me, I just realized this might be the best time to hit Disney World in years!
sangreal
(04-21-2017, 03:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Dude Abides

Virtually everything hrs accomplished are things the President can do unilaterally. Everything he's tried that requires other people to agree has been a failure. He's not good at making deals.

Yes, he has zero legislative accomplishments outside of abusing the congressional review act to stop some regulations from going into effect

Most of his EOs even just call for reviews, they don't actually do anything
sugarhigh4242
Banned
(04-21-2017, 03:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Kurdel

Please educate me, what steps could Oba,a have taken to force an appointee with both houses of congress filled with obstructionist republicans?

The Nuclear Option. The same thing Trump just did to seat Justice Rohypnol.

The Democrats already paved the way for this when they used the nuclear option in 2013 to seat 3 DC circuit picks I doubt anyone on LiberalGAF can name. They let the magic genie out of the bottle and wasted it. Like I said, they're terrible at this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.185406c67aa3

Got it wrong.
Last edited by sugarhigh4242; 04-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
KingV
(04-21-2017, 03:07 PM)

Originally Posted by zeemumu

He repealed a bunch of legislation from the Obama Administration. Whether that's good or bad is up to you but he did do it.

This is humorous because I actually don't think he has repealed much, if any legislation at all. (I.e laws passed by congress and signed by the president).

He has rolled back several regulations, which is probably what you meant. Even there though, the majority of it was stopping things from going into effect more than it was removing things from the books.
KingV
(04-21-2017, 03:08 PM)

The Democrats already paved the way for this when they used the nuclear option in 2013 to seat 3 DC circuit picks I doubt anyone on LiberalGAF can name. They let the magic genie out of the bottle and wasted it. Like I said, they're terrible at this.

How? The republicans had more than 50 seats in the senate.
sangreal

???

how are democrats supposed to change the senate rules while republicans control the senate?

also, no, they did not use the nuclear option to seat 3 judges. they carved out part of the filibuster because the GOP had stopped consenting to anyone for any position
Kurdel

So you think last year Obama had 50 democratic votes in the senate?
Oersted
(04-21-2017, 03:09 PM)

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

He promised less taxes, of course did the stock market like that.
legacyzero
(04-21-2017, 03:12 PM)
The only thing that he's done that I support is pulling out of TPP.

The rest? Nope. I mean, I'm not a hawkish person, but I would have been able to get behind striking Syria. But it was so half assed and reactionary.
Lord Frieza
(04-21-2017, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Krakatoa

This is true. I wish Obama pushed his pick though instead of waiting....

Like it would have happened. McConnell made it pretty clear that seat was not going to be filled by Obama.
numble
(04-21-2017, 03:17 PM)

Originally Posted by sangreal

???

how are democrats supposed to change the senate rules while republicans control the senate?

also, no, they did not use the nuclear option to seat 3 judges. they carved out part of the filibuster because the GOP had stopped consenting to anyone for any position

It was the nuclear option for non-SCOTUS appointments. It is called the nuclear option based on the procedure used to change the filibuster. By your logic, the GOP simply further carved out part of the filibuster (it still exists) for SCOTUS appointments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_option
Lord Frieza
(04-21-2017, 03:18 PM)
Guys, if you don't know this, there's no point in replying to sugarhigh. He's basically a well spoken troll. I mean, he isn't as obvious about it, but his whole shtick is just posting contrary stuff while deliberately missing the reasoning and context.
Gattsu25
Formerly Wakune
(04-21-2017, 03:19 PM)
Oh, are we posting images to show how much he has achieved?

Promises he has achieved (6 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has compromised on (2 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises that are in progress (5 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has broken (1 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has not started to work on (15 of his 1st 100 day promises)
Oersted
(04-21-2017, 03:20 PM)

Originally Posted by legacyzero

The only thing that he's done that I support is pulling out of TPP.

The rest? Nope. I mean, I'm not a hawkish person, but I would have been able to get behind striking Syria. But it was so half assed and reactionary.

While obviously being true that he pulled out of TTP,it should not be forgotten that he promised in the same breath to get better trade deals.

So far nothing.

He didn't even try.

The only thing he tried are deals for his family, see the patents in China.
Link
The Autumn Wind
(04-21-2017, 03:23 PM)

Got it wrong.

Do you ever get tired of posting in topics you know nothing about?
A Serious Man
(04-21-2017, 03:26 PM)
RPGCrazied
(04-21-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by A Serious Man

Holy shit is that real? Plus Trump thinks the unemployment rate is 47%, not 4.7%.
Kurdel
(04-21-2017, 03:28 PM)

Amazing how dishonest they can be holy shit

Like people already forgot about the so-called Great Recession.
Frank the Great
(04-21-2017, 03:29 PM)

Can't argue with those results. America is great again.
Abinash117
(04-21-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Gattsu25

Oh, are we posting images to show how much he has achieved?

Promises he has achieved (6 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has compromised on (2 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises that are in progress (5 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has broken (1 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Promises he has not started to work on (15 of his 1st 100 day promises)

Don't think anything to do with the ban is considered a accomplishment because both his orders failed. He also did not end the clean energy plan, all he did was sign a EO to review the plan.
Last edited by Abinash117; 04-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Got
Banned
(04-21-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Link

Do you ever get tired of posting in topics you know nothing about?

he's hoping he'll hit it right someday.
Hellwarden
(04-21-2017, 03:34 PM)
I was thinking the only thing he managed to do so far was get Gorsuch on the supreme court.

And they struggled there.
Gattsu25
Formerly Wakune
(04-21-2017, 03:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Abinash117

Don't think anything to do with the ban is considered a accomplishment because both his orders failed. He also did not end the clean energy plan, all he did was sign a EO to remove the plan.

I don't think Trump's accomplished anything of note so far. His one achievement that I agree with was something that both candidates promised to do (drop out of TPP).

However, I'm second guessing the motives of the OP's last edit so wanted to post all of the categories from that github link.

Edit: there's also the fact that a lot of what that github link classifies as Trump's accomplishments aren't even laws or executive orders. He laid out a proposal for a budget plan that doesn't actually do anything because it's just a proposal and even then the proposal wouldn't actually boost treatment for opioid addiction yet the author of that link credits trump with increasing funding for opioid addiction treatment.
Last edited by Gattsu25; 04-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.
gcubed
(04-21-2017, 03:41 PM)

Thats a pretty impressive job Obama did.
Whompa02
Banned
(04-21-2017, 03:41 PM)
The TPP was dead before Trump even took office.

11/175 promises so far lol...
zeemumu
(04-21-2017, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by KingV

This is humorous because I actually don't think he has repealed much, if any legislation at all. (I.e laws passed by congress and signed by the president).

He has rolled back several regulations, which is probably what you meant. Even there though, the majority of it was stopping things from going into effect more than it was removing things from the books.

Yeah that's what I meant
tedtropy
$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
(04-21-2017, 03:51 PM)

What scale is the "consumer confidence" number supposed to be using?
Socivol
(04-21-2017, 03:52 PM)

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie

Wasn't it on the upswing before he even took office?
Netherscourge
I am very insecure about the visual capabilities of the PS4
(04-21-2017, 03:53 PM)

I wonder if they realize how good this actually makes Obama look?
Socivol
(04-21-2017, 03:53 PM)

Originally Posted by gcubed

Thats a pretty impressive job Obama did.

I guess they don't realize how impressive this makes Obama's presidency look lol.
NandoGip
(04-21-2017, 03:55 PM)

This shit has me rolling in laughter. No shame. Majority of people don't pay attention to politics, and of the few that do, about half just eat shit like this up (even left leaning, but lets be honest it's mostly right wingers)
studyguy
(04-21-2017, 04:00 PM)
0 legislative victories and they're still claiming they'll be working on healthcare next week which has already been denied by house GOP.

Worse yet the GOP is currently looking at massive swings in what are traditionally stable R seats and possibly more R's retiring after Chaffetz. Trump proving to be more of a poison pill for the GOP majority than anything.
Whompa02
Banned
(04-21-2017, 04:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Netherscourge

I wonder if they realize how good this actually makes Obama look?

Honestly people are too dumb to understand how time works. They think Trump blessed them with this unemployment rate
jelly
(04-21-2017, 04:08 PM)
Trump is a con man only out for himself, his family only helps his own brand.
studyguy
(04-21-2017, 04:13 PM)
Considering how incredibly poorly they did over healthcare and the fact that the wall will not be funded through federal spending bill that needs to be passed next week, the biggest worry is ending day 100 with a government shutdown.
zethren
(04-21-2017, 04:16 PM)

Obama did one hell of a job handing Trump a better situation than W handed him, I know!
vio
(04-21-2017, 04:22 PM)
You can shoot bears while they`re winter sleeping?
A Serious Man
(04-21-2017, 04:33 PM)

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

Holy shit is that real? Plus Trump thinks the unemployment rate is 47%, not 4.7%.

It should tell you how little Trump has accomplished that they have to resort to this sort of bullshittery in order to prop up his job performance so far.

I think Trump's issue is that he's trying to govern based on the daily news cycle. He wants to win the day, every day, meaning everything needs to be quick and easy. You hit a bump in the road? Leave it, move on. Got some negative stories dominating the press? Draft an empty EO I can bloviate about at a rally, let's get some coverage. When AHCA started taking fire he tried to accelerate the process even more but didn't have the stomach to go out and truly fight for it. Maybe he'll learn from his mistakes but man, it's been a real mess so far.
jeffram
(04-21-2017, 04:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Hellwarden

I was thinking the only thing he managed to do so far was get Gorsuch on the supreme court.

And they struggled there.

And the "success" is nominating someone who's values is at odds with those of the American public for a lifetime position.
studyguy
(04-21-2017, 04:34 PM)
Shutting down the government because you can't decide federal spending while in the majority power for the first time in god knows how long would actually be an impressive accomplishment as far as proving your incompetence goes.

We'll find out next week I suppose.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/stat...42580733128705

Zeke Miller (@ZekeJMiller)
.@PressSec says OMB is taking required steps to prepare for a possible government shutdown

Abinash117
(04-21-2017, 04:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Gattsu25

I don't think Trump's accomplished anything of note so far. His one achievement that I agree with was something that both candidates promised to do (drop out of TPP).

However, I'm second guessing the motives of the OP's last edit so wanted to post all of the categories from that github link.

Edit: there's also the fact that a lot of what that github link classifies as Trump's accomplishments aren't even laws or executive orders. He laid out a proposal for a budget plan that doesn't actually do anything because it's just a proposal and even then the proposal wouldn't actually boost treatment for opioid addiction yet the author of that link credits trump with increasing funding for opioid addiction treatment.

The link is flawed in that. Trump has actually accomplished very little besides the TPP and nominating a justice. Much of his orders are reviews of what they should do and he passed no major legislation yet.

Looking at the legislation he signed and the wording of his EOs would give a better view of his accomplishments.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ecutive-orders
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ed-legislation