• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Fistwell
Member
(04-19-2017, 02:44 PM)
Fistwell's Avatar
A wild BrassDragon appears!
BrassDragon
Member
(04-19-2017, 04:30 PM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fistwell

A wild BrassDragon appears!

Subscription got lost in the shuffle - but good to be back. :)
Fistwell
Member
(04-19-2017, 04:33 PM)
Fistwell's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrassDragon

Subscription got lost in the shuffle - but good to be back. :)

WB!
You should join the Strava group while you're at it, or are you already in there?
BrassDragon
Member
(04-19-2017, 04:36 PM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fistwell

WB!
You should join the Strava group while you're at it, or are you already in there?

Heh, I've been married to Runtastic forever now, don't think I'll swtich but thanks for the offer. Will applaud splits as they go up here!
Linius
Member
(04-19-2017, 04:39 PM)
Linius's Avatar
Yeah I'm on Runtastic since I started as well. Too bad the community here is on Strava :P
shandy706
Member
(04-19-2017, 05:11 PM)
shandy706's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Maybe not a good suggestion for running but maybe buy your older daughter a bike and get one of those bike wagon things for your 4 year old and bike down a trail near the house. You can at least get some cardio in with your kids. Otherwise that does sound a bit rough.

Originally Posted by Fistwell

So the first thing is that, yes, running just on weekend is a good start. Looking at your schedule, it is the only start that makes sense anyways. You can definitely begin by running/jogging/jog-walking (depending on your fitness level) a cheeky 20-30min on friday afternoons. Add in a second session on sundays if you're enjoying it. You can start extending duration of those runs once you're getting comfortable.

Down the line, if you want to get more out of running (improve fitness), you'll want to go to 3 (then later 5) runs a week. Running 3 days in a row is not necessarily the best thing to do. If you start running 1hr friday-sunday at a decent pace, you'll want that saturday to rest and recover.

The trick to running on weekdays, when you're tired after a day of work and don't have the energy is that... well it'll suck the first time around. But you get used to pretty much anything once it becomes routine. You do have the energy to go on a quick 30min jog on wednesdays from 9 to 9:30. It's just that you rly rly don't feel like it right now. If you start doing it, it's likely within a cple of weeks it'll just be that thing you do on wednesdays and that's it. I don't have children, but I used to have pretty intense 10hr workdays. I would still get out twice a week (tuesday-thursday), 7:30 to 8:30, in Brittany-France, in the dark of night, in the wind, cold, and pouring rain, running tough workouts. And it was fine. Not a big deal, and actually enjoyable. A niche of time I had carved for myself, to be alone with my thoughts and vent my frustration on running. Energy might be a problem at first, but regular physical exercise will bring up your energy levels all around.

Best of luck!

Originally Posted by Duebrithil

I think Fistwell has already covered the most of it, but I'd like to add that maybe an indoor treadmill could work for you if you want to run on weekdays. You'd be able to run and spend time with your daughters at the same time.

Thanks guys. I wonder if I could find an oval track that allows bikes? I like that suggestion. The 4 year old can ride a bike with training wheels and my 9 year old is great on a bike. I know a lot of tracks don't let bikes on them. The park I take them too (which has a paved trail) is really hilly...haha, that would turn out bad.

I'm going to try and get in a workout this weekend. I've got to do something.
Danielsan
Member
(04-19-2017, 08:06 PM)
Danielsan's Avatar
Just got back from my third 5k run in 6 days. I'm not much of an evening runner, but this run was great. Only just got back into running a week ago, but already feeling the progression. Just knocked a minute of my weekend time(s) and though I purposely slowed down after the first 2km in order to not blow out, I ended the run with energy to spare.

Going for a two day rest and will try a slightly longer (slower) stint on Saturday.
Last edited by Danielsan; 04-19-2017 at 08:09 PM.
funkystudent
Member
(04-19-2017, 11:24 PM)
funkystudent's Avatar
I did a 15k long run on Sunday and I feel like I got over some kind of hump because I have felt way better since then for whatever reason. Sleeping better, just feeling a bit more calm. Had a short 6k today that felt great.

Its weird. Just for whatever reason I feel better inside since then. I dunno.

Originally Posted by BrassDragon

Heh, I've been married to Runtastic forever now, don't think I'll swtich but thanks for the offer. Will applaud splits as they go up here!

I use runkeeper as my run recording app but then I use https://tapiriik.com/ to sync to Strava for the social stuff every few days. Dont think I have ever used Strava to actually record a run.

(edit... actually it links 2 dozen services but Runtastic isnt one) woops.

Been thinking of trying other apps then RunKeeper so if anyone has any feel free.
Last edited by funkystudent; 04-20-2017 at 03:31 AM.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-20-2017, 01:43 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar
Ran a recovery run in 80 degree weather today. I am not ready for summer yet. Funny enough they are forecasting low 50's for my half marathon this weekend so today was probably a bit harder than what I will see Sunday. Debating on whether to take off thursday and friday, and do a short shake on saturday. For some reason the schedule this year has an easy 35 minute run Thursday, but that seems like too much for a taper week seeing as I already ran a 40 minute pace run on Tuesday. Maybe i'll moderately ride my bike tomorrow instead.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-20-2017, 02:38 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar
Hey Boston Marathon guys and gals. Strava put up some numbers on those who qualified for Boston who trained with Strava.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-m...strava/slide/1

Does this match up with your program?
BrassDragon
Member
(04-20-2017, 07:35 AM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Hey Boston Marathon guys and gals. Strava put up some numbers on those who qualified for Boston who trained with Strava.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-m...strava/slide/1

Does this match up with your program?

The point about making sure easy runs actually feel easy is a very important one. People push way too hard when the race date starts looming in their mind.
crispyben
Member
(04-20-2017, 02:00 PM)
crispyben's Avatar
Hey, I'll be in NYC for a few days in late April-early May, and running in/through Central Park is definitely on my bucket list. Any advice on when/how to best do it, and other places to hit running-wise while I'm there? Thanks.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-20-2017, 04:13 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrassDragon

The point about making sure easy runs actually feel easy is a very important one. People push way too hard when the race date starts looming in their mind.

I just completed my second formal training season. What I have noticed is that really the major work gets done 3 weeks before the race. After that it seems you do a lot of easy/ 1 run at pace speed a week. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit to running ridiculously hard the 2 weeks before your goal race. I have been following GAF'ers in our Strava group and I think I see a similar trend. I'm also watching my heart rate during slow runs and making sure my heart rate stays below the lactic threshold my watch has calculated. Similarly during these easy runs I make sure I am not breathing laboriously.


It's about to get hot in Texas so I know I won't be going super fast after this weekend ( I already see a day in the 90's next week!). But unlike previous years I plan to run outside rather than cheat indoors.
amishpriest99
Member
(04-20-2017, 04:26 PM)
amishpriest99's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Hey Boston Marathon guys and gals. Strava put up some numbers on those who qualified for Boston who trained with Strava.

http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-m...strava/slide/1

Does this match up with your program?

Pretty much...the average pace/distance is actually about where I end up in a typical marathon training cycle. I would also agree that the point about pacing is very important. I could still stand to do better on my recovery runs though.

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

I just completed my second formal training season. What I have noticed is that really the major work gets done 3 weeks before the race. After that it seems you do a lot of easy/ 1 run at pace speed a week. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit to running ridiculously hard the 2 weeks before your goal race. I have been following GAF'ers in our Strava group and I think I see a similar trend. I'm also watching my heart rate during slow runs and making sure my heart rate stays below the lactic threshold my watch has calculated. Similarly during these easy runs I make sure I am not breathing laboriously.


It's about to get hot in Texas so I know I won't be going super fast after this weekend ( I already see a day in the 90's next week!). But unlike previous years I plan to run outside rather than cheat indoors.

When it's taper time I really try to just go into a do-no-damage maintenance mode. Last thing I want is a dumb injury so close to a race.

Oh, I guess I did just kinda pop back into the thread here. So since I last posted in October 2015 I ran my first Boston last year. The race itself was meh, but it was an unforgettable experience. The goal now is to get back and do it better. Haven't done any marathons since mostly due to getting married, but I've still been keeping up the training as best as possible. Got the Frederick Half Marathon on tap next month and then Marine Corps Marathon this fall. Targeting that for another BQ attempt. If that fails, then I'll go with Shamrock in March '18.

EDIT: Forgot to also mention that I just joined the Strava GAF club ;),
Last edited by amishpriest99; 04-20-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Re-introduction and stuff.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-20-2017, 06:01 PM)
Ok so I'm running my first half marathon this Sat. What are some of the race day essentials? Should I get a runners pack (fanny pack) for liquids and maybe an energy bar? I've been running outside without music and kinda enjoy it, but I also might want the music for those stretches where I'm really struggling. I don't have a playlist so maybe I'll just run a YouTube playlist that I like. The forecast will be 63 degrees and cloudy with wind gusts up to 10mph. I hope the wind isn't a factor. It's a big race so i expect there or be stations with water? Do they usually have energy bars or bananas as well? I have never run with a pack around my waist so I'm not sure I want to start now but I know I will need some calorie at the halfway mark. Whar should I do ???
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-20-2017, 06:19 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

Ok so I'm running my first half marathon this Sat. What are some of the race day essentials? Should I get a runners pack (fanny pack) for liquids and maybe an energy bar? I've been running outside without music and kinda enjoy it, but I also might want the music for those stretches where I'm really struggling. I don't have a playlist so maybe I'll just run a YouTube playlist that I like. The forecast will be 63 degrees and cloudy with wind gusts up to 10mph. I hope the wind isn't a factor. It's a big race so i expect there or be stations with water? Do they usually have energy bars or bananas as well? I have never run with a pack around my waist so I'm not sure I want to start now but I know I will need some calorie at the halfway mark. Whar should I do ???

Do not make ANY changes the day of your race. If you have never tried out an energy bar or worn a fanny pack during your runs, a race is a bad, bad time to try something first. What do you normally do to refuel?
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-20-2017, 06:45 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Do not make ANY changes the day of your race. If you have never tried out an energy bar or worn a fanny pack during your runs, a race is a bad, bad time to try something first. What do you normally do to refuel?

Water or Gatorade. I have never run a full 13 though. I expect to be walking some.

My goal is simply to cross the finish line
Last edited by JB1981; 04-20-2017 at 06:48 PM.
amishpriest99
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:23 PM)
amishpriest99's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

Water or Gatorade. I have never run a full 13 though. I expect to be walking some.

My goal is simply to cross the finish line

I agree on Inquisitor's "nothing new on race day" mantra. I would be especially careful about what you do nutritionally if you're not sure how your stomach will react.

Most races I've done will have water/Gatorade stations every few miles or so. I typically like to rotate between water and Gatorade so I'm not overdoing it on the latter. If you have an energy gel or bar you like to fuel with you could stash that in your pocket just in case. Some half-marathons I've done will have energy gel/food stations but I wouldn't count on that (and I would avoid anyway if it's something you haven't tried before).
Menthuss
Member
(04-20-2017, 08:47 PM)
Menthuss's Avatar
Hey there RunningGAF!
Didn't know there was a topic for runners here on GAF so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

Just a quick introduction: I started running around 2013 as a way for me to lose weight and improve my health (plus the gym was boring the hell out of me). Had to take breaks at several stages for a variety of reasons which really slowed my progress but I'm now working on being able to at least do easy-runs for 50 minutes straight. I think I'm actually already capable of doing a 1 hour run in terms of stamina but my knees tend to start screwing me over during longer sessions. Lately during any interval that lasts for 20-30 minutes my left knee tends to start aching and eventually it gets to the point where I have to stop for a couple of seconds and let it rest for a bit before I can continue.

I've had this issue several times in the past (with my right knee as well) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it anymore at this point. In the past the aching eventually went away with enough time so maybe I just have to push on through (my doctor also suggested this at one point). I should also mention I've got special soles to help stabilize my feet and provide better support for my knees but it's possible they're worn out at this point. I've had these for at least a year, maybe even coming up to 2.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-20-2017, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by amishpriest99

I agree on Inquisitor's "nothing new on race day" mantra. I would be especially careful about what you do nutritionally if you're not sure how your stomach will react.

Most races I've done will have water/Gatorade stations every few miles or so. I typically like to rotate between water and Gatorade so I'm not overdoing it on the latter. If you have an energy gel or bar you like to fuel with you could stash that in your pocket just in case. Some half-marathons I've done will have energy gel/food stations but I wouldn't count on that (and I would avoid anyway if it's something you haven't tried before).

Hey man! Thanks for the advice. I think I will probably just keep granola bar in my pocket and grab some water or Gatorade as I go. It's not like an energy gel is going to make or break my ability to finish the race right?
Corbec
Junior Member
(04-20-2017, 09:03 PM)

Originally Posted by JB1981

Hey man! Thanks for the advice. I think I will probably just keep granola bar in my pocket and grab some water or Gatorade as I go. It's not like an energy gel is going to make or break my ability to finish the race right?

Try eating one on your next training run. That way you'll get a feel for whether it turns your stomach or gives you the shits
Dynamic3
Member
(04-20-2017, 09:05 PM)
Any recommendations for an iOS app that links with Spotify (and not the half-assed you can only listen to the Spotify dynamic run playlist that Runkeeper has).

My best find so far has been Nike Run Club.
BrassDragon
Member
(04-20-2017, 09:10 PM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

Hey there RunningGAF!
Didn't know there was a topic for runners here on GAF so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

Just a quick introduction: I started running around 2013 as a way for me to lose weight and improve my health (plus the gym was boring the hell out of me). Had to take breaks at several stages for a variety of reasons which really slowed my progress but I'm now working on being able to at least do easy-runs for 50 minutes straight. I think I'm actually already capable of doing a 1 hour run in terms of stamina but my knees tend to start screwing me over during longer sessions. Lately during any interval that lasts for 20-30 minutes my left knee tends to start aching and eventually it gets to the point where I have to stop for a couple of seconds and let it rest for a bit before I can continue.

I've had this issue several times in the past (with my right knee as well) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it anymore at this point. In the past the aching eventually went away with enough time so maybe I just have to push on through (my doctor also suggested this at one point). I should also mention I've got special soles to help stabilize my feet and provide better support for my knees but it's possible they're worn out at this point. I've had these for at least a year, maybe even coming up to 2.

Most common cause of knee pain other than shoe problems is overstriding (foot landing ahead of body with either a locked knee or an overbent knee.) That's when the whole shock of landing is absorbed by your joint.

The reason I'm thinking this is because you mentioned weight loss - losing weight is great but it throws your sense of balance out of whack so you might have created a muscle memory based on a center of gravity that's slowly shifted back over time as you got leaner.

Try leaning your upper body forward more when you feel the pain coming (putting the weight in front of the feet again) and see if that alleviates things.

Pain is your body trying to tell you something is goiing wrong - not sure I agree with a doctor suggesting you push through it.
Menthuss
Member
(04-20-2017, 09:34 PM)
Menthuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrassDragon

Most common cause of knee pain other than shoe problems is overstriding (foot landing ahead of body with either a locked knee or an overbent knee.) That's when the whole shock of landing is absorbed by your joint.

The reason I'm thinking this is because you mentioned weight loss - losing weight is great but it throws your sense of balance out of whack so you might have created a muscle memory based on a center of gravity that's slowly shifted back over time as you got leaner.

Try leaning your upper body forward more when you feel the pain coming (putting the weight in front of the feet again) and see if that alleviates things.

Pain is your body trying to tell you something is goiing wrong - not sure I agree with a doctor suggesting you push through it.

Hm, interesting. I'll keep this in mind for my next run, thanks!
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-20-2017, 09:50 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

Hey there RunningGAF!
Didn't know there was a topic for runners here on GAF so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

Just a quick introduction: I started running around 2013 as a way for me to lose weight and improve my health (plus the gym was boring the hell out of me). Had to take breaks at several stages for a variety of reasons which really slowed my progress but I'm now working on being able to at least do easy-runs for 50 minutes straight. I think I'm actually already capable of doing a 1 hour run in terms of stamina but my knees tend to start screwing me over during longer sessions. Lately during any interval that lasts for 20-30 minutes my left knee tends to start aching and eventually it gets to the point where I have to stop for a couple of seconds and let it rest for a bit before I can continue.

I've had this issue several times in the past (with my right knee as well) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it anymore at this point. In the past the aching eventually went away with enough time so maybe I just have to push on through (my doctor also suggested this at one point). I should also mention I've got special soles to help stabilize my feet and provide better support for my knees but it's possible they're worn out at this point. I've had these for at least a year, maybe even coming up to 2.

I sometimes get the same issue after hard runs (goes away after 1 day). But it's because I had ACL reconstruction on that knee. Are you sure you haven't torn something in there and it has gone undiagnosed?
Menthuss
Member
(04-20-2017, 10:23 PM)
Menthuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

I sometimes get the same issue after hard runs (goes away after 1 day). But it's because I had ACL reconstruction on that knee. Are you sure you haven't torn something in there and it has gone undiagnosed?

If something was actually torn wouldn't I be in a lot more pain and more frequently too? The aching only starts to happen during longer running sessions.
I've even had it go away during a session after like a 1 minute break. I mean, I can't completely discount the possibility but it seems unlikely.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-21-2017, 12:17 AM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

If something was actually torn wouldn't I be in a lot more pain and more frequently too? The aching only starts to happen during longer running sessions.
I've even had it go away during a session after like a 1 minute break. I mean, I can't completely discount the possibility but it seems unlikely.

Eh when I tore my ACL I did not even hear a pop, It really didnt hurt afterwards other than my knee swelling up to the size of a softball. :) I am not saying you have an injury was just thinking out loud. What about your shoes? How did you figure out which ones to get?
Fistwell
Member
(04-21-2017, 03:35 PM)
Fistwell's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrassDragon

I've been married to Runtastic forever now

Originally Posted by Linius

I'm on Runtastic since I started as well

</3 q.q
amishpriest99
Member
(04-21-2017, 07:28 PM)
amishpriest99's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

Hey man! Thanks for the advice. I think I will probably just keep granola bar in my pocket and grab some water or Gatorade as I go. It's not like an energy gel is going to make or break my ability to finish the race right?

Nah, a gel isn't going to have that dramatic effect. It's more for a little boost when you need it. This race will be a good way to figure out whether that's something you could benefit from for future races.

Hope you have a good race tomorrow!
Menthuss
Member
(04-21-2017, 09:06 PM)
Menthuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Eh when I tore my ACL I did not even hear a pop, It really didnt hurt afterwards other than my knee swelling up to the size of a softball. :) I am not saying you have an injury was just thinking out loud. What about your shoes? How did you figure out which ones to get?

Went into a sports shop and told the shopkeeper I was looking to replace my old running shoes. She asked me how often I tend to run in a week and if had a preference for a specific brand. My previous pair were Asics and they lasted me for around 2-3 years so I decided to stick with it. After also telling her about my past knee aches she showed me a couple of shoes. After some deliberation I went for the Asics Gel Cumulus 17 mostly due to the price (€130).
Last edited by Menthuss; 04-21-2017 at 09:11 PM.
TTOOLL
Banned
(04-22-2017, 04:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Menthuss

Hey there RunningGAF!
Didn't know there was a topic for runners here on GAF so I thought I'd drop by and say hi.

Just a quick introduction: I started running around 2013 as a way for me to lose weight and improve my health (plus the gym was boring the hell out of me). Had to take breaks at several stages for a variety of reasons which really slowed my progress but I'm now working on being able to at least do easy-runs for 50 minutes straight. I think I'm actually already capable of doing a 1 hour run in terms of stamina but my knees tend to start screwing me over during longer sessions. Lately during any interval that lasts for 20-30 minutes my left knee tends to start aching and eventually it gets to the point where I have to stop for a couple of seconds and let it rest for a bit before I can continue.

I've had this issue several times in the past (with my right knee as well) and I'm not entirely sure what to do with it anymore at this point. In the past the aching eventually went away with enough time so maybe I just have to push on through (my doctor also suggested this at one point). I should also mention I've got special soles to help stabilize my feet and provide better support for my knees but it's possible they're worn out at this point. I've had these for at least a year, maybe even coming up to 2.

Hi, I had something really similar, even did some physiotherapy but it continued. You know what it was? I discovered by accident the day I learned how to tie my shoes properly. They used to be kinda​ loose, when I tightened them up my pain went away.

I'm on mobile now but you can check some videos on YouTube about it. ;)
Pedrito
Member
(04-22-2017, 05:42 AM)
Pedrito's Avatar
Anyone has the Polar M400? Thoughts?

I can't freaking decide on a GPS watch and I've been looking at them for months. The M400 seems to offer the more bang for bucks, while not being totally ugly as sin, as it's often the case with these watches...
Danielsan
Member
(04-22-2017, 08:09 AM)
Danielsan's Avatar
Knee has kind of been acting up since Thursday. Not sure how to describe it, but it's sort of a werid nagging sensation around the kneecap. I wanted to give it some extra rest, but just couldn't resist going for a slow run this morning. I'm officially an idiot. The run itself went okay, I noticed my knee a couple of times, but no real pain, just flashes of that nagging sensation. Hopefully it's just my body getting used to running again. Really don't want to fuck up my knee. Just in case I'll hold off on running tomorrow.

Edit: Might be runner's knee? Will take a 4 day break and maybe do some recommended exercises. This is really bumming me out.
Last edited by Danielsan; 04-22-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Menthuss
Member
(04-22-2017, 09:39 AM)
Menthuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

Hi, I had something really similar, even did some physiotherapy but it continued. You know what it was? I discovered by accident the day I learned how to tie my shoes properly. They used to be kinda​ loose, when I tightened them up my pain went away.

I'm on mobile now but you can check some videos on YouTube about it. ;)

I'm guessing you're talking about the lace lock? Nah, I already learned that years ago when I got my first pair of running shoes :P
Good tip though.
BrassDragon
Member
(04-22-2017, 10:15 AM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

I'm guessing you're talking about the lace lock? Nah, I already learned that years ago when I got my first pair of running shoes :P
Good tip though.

On the subject of lace tips, you don't have to double tie - just tuck the loops into the cross-overs after tying so they don't snag on anything or come undone.
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared
Member
(04-22-2017, 11:19 AM)
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared's Avatar

Originally Posted by Danielsan

Knee has kind of been acting up since Thursday. Not sure how to describe it, but it's sort of a werid nagging sensation around the kneecap. I wanted to give it some extra rest, but just couldn't resist going for a slow run this morning. I'm officially an idiot. The run itself went okay, I noticed my knee a couple of times, but no real pain, just flashes of that nagging sensation. Hopefully it's just my body getting used to running again. Really don't want to fuck up my knee. Just in case I'll hold off on running tomorrow.

Edit: Might be runner's knee? Will take a 4 day break and maybe do some recommended exercises. This is really bumming me out.

Take a 4 day break. Nothing worse than fucking up your knee for longer than needs be cos you didn't take the break,
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-22-2017, 03:49 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

Went into a sports shop and told the shopkeeper I was looking to replace my old running shoes. She asked me how often I tend to run in a week and if had a preference for a specific brand. My previous pair were Asics and they lasted me for around 2-3 years so I decided to stick with it. After also telling her about my past knee aches she showed me a couple of shoes. After some deliberation I went for the Asics Gel Cumulus 17 mostly due to the price (130).

Oh... 2-3 years is too long to use 1 pair. It's not just distance but the material also wears out with time and heat. You are wearing the exact same shoes I am (I rotate two pairs). BTW I would try to get a second pair to rotate with when they go on clearance. The 18's came out a few months ago so I've gotten Asics for 60 bucks before. Just check online from now on.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-22-2017, 04:47 PM)
I did it!!!

Completed my first half marathon! Final time was 2:37 and change!

I can't believe I actually got it done. Yesss!!
Fistwell
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:02 PM)
Fistwell's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

I did it!!!

Completed my first half marathon! Final time was 2:37 and change!

I can't believe I actually got it done. Yesss!!

Congrats! :D

Edit: bought a pair of free RN flyknit 2017, because, well, I'm weak and my favorite pair ever (last year's RN flyknit) is starting to lose cushioning and it's breaking my heart. I have no will and love to buy shoes. *hangs head*
Last edited by Fistwell; 04-22-2017 at 06:10 PM.
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(04-22-2017, 06:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Fistwell

Congrats! :D

Thank you! And thanks for always offering awesome advice and encouragement in this thread.

Mile 10-12 was a big struggle. Woof. And I don't know what causes this but my feet/ankles for the the first 3-4 miles felt so TIGHT. Things got better eventually but I was very worried there in the beginning.
Paganmoon
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:11 PM)
Paganmoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

I did it!!!

Completed my first half marathon! Final time was 2:37 and change!

I can't believe I actually got it done. Yesss!!

Congrats man :)
BrassDragon
Member
(04-22-2017, 06:14 PM)
BrassDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

I did it!!!

Completed my first half marathon! Final time was 2:37 and change!

I can't believe I actually got it done. Yesss!!

That's all yours. You own it and no one can take it away. GG.
Menthuss
Member
(04-22-2017, 08:34 PM)
Menthuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by The_Inquisitor

Oh... 2-3 years is too long to use 1 pair. It's not just distance but the material also wears out with time and heat. You are wearing the exact same shoes I am (I rotate two pairs). BTW I would try to get a second pair to rotate with when they go on clearance. The 18's came out a few months ago so I've gotten Asics for 60 bucks before. Just check online from now on.

Yeah, my old shoes were literally falling apart when I bought my new pair. I'm now using Runtastic to help keep track of the amount of mileage on my shoes.
Last edited by Menthuss; 04-22-2017 at 08:55 PM.
The_Inquisitor
Member
(04-22-2017, 11:28 PM)
The_Inquisitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Menthuss

Yeah, my old shoes were literally falling apart when I bought my new pair. I'm now using Runtastic to help keep track of the amount of mileage on my shoes.

Good. I'm sure you have read this, but the rule of thumb is ~500 miles (I also like to add after 1 year from the first run, whichever comes first). Note that your shoes may wear out sooner or later than 500 depending on your gait, the shoes, etc. What I would say i after a few hundred miles try another new pair on. If the feeling is dramatic maybe your original pair is approaching end of life.
HotHamWater
Member
(04-23-2017, 01:35 AM)
HotHamWater's Avatar
Do you guys just re-buy a new pair of shoes if you've had no problems with your current ones, or do you just buy some that are well reviewed?

I made the rookie mistake of buying my first pair without knowing anything, and had some knee problems because of it. I then went and got checked out (the watch you run thing) and bought the pair that was recommended and the only injuries I've had were shin splint related which was likely just over doing it.

Anyway, that pair are pretty overdue for replacement and I'm leaning towards just ordering the identical set from somewhere rather than getting my gait analysed again.

TLDR: Should I re-buy the exact pair I've already got, buy the "updated version" of that pair, or get a professional to check me out again and see if my form has changed.
fester
Member
(04-23-2017, 04:37 AM)
fester's Avatar

Originally Posted by HotHamWater

Do you guys just re-buy a new pair of shoes if you've had no problems with your current ones, or do you just buy some that are well reviewed?

I made the rookie mistake of buying my first pair without knowing anything, and had some knee problems because of it. I then went and got checked out (the watch you run thing) and bought the pair that was recommended and the only injuries I've had were shin splint related which was likely just over doing it.

Anyway, that pair are pretty overdue for replacement and I'm leaning towards just ordering the identical set from somewhere rather than getting my gait analysed again.

TLDR: Should I re-buy the exact pair I've already got, buy the "updated version" of that pair, or get a professional to check me out again and see if my form has changed.

Once I find a shoe that works well for me, I tend to stick with it as long as I can. Usually this means buying extra several pairs if a model is being discontinued. :) When the new version comes out, I'll give it a shot (places like runningwarehouse.com have free returns if something doesn't fit right). If the new version sucks, I visit my local running store and go through the routine of finding the right shoe again.

To be honest, it's pretty damn annoying to have most shoe models only last 9-12 months before they are "upgraded." Thankfully, Asics GT-2000s have been good for me for the past several years.

Also, injuries are caused by a lot of different factors and the shoes are just one possibility. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on your shoes preventing injuries. Find something that fits correctly and gives you the proper amount of support. Sadly, the injuries will come and go regardless of how perfect the shoe is. :(
MrOogieBoogie
BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
(04-23-2017, 04:40 AM)
MrOogieBoogie's Avatar
Is an 18-minute 5k a relatively achievable time for a pretty in-shape person with sufficient training?
soxinthebox
Member
(04-23-2017, 04:53 AM)
soxinthebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrOogieBoogie

Is an 18-minute 5k a relatively achievable time for a pretty in-shape person with sufficient training?

I went flat out last weekend at a parkrun and only managed a 19:05 for 5km. One teenager did a sub 18min run but I just don't see how I could physically do that (at 30 years old).
panda-zebra
Member
(04-23-2017, 07:20 AM)
panda-zebra's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrOogieBoogie

Is an 18-minute 5k a relatively achievable time for a pretty in-shape person with sufficient training?

Age will factor into this, but the vast majority of runners would be more than happy with an 18 minute 5k. That's 5:45 miles or 3:35 KMs - a pretty incredible pace, really.

If you can get into that kind of shape, you're looking at 1:23 half marathons and massively sub-3 hour marathons.

My best 5K so far was a good bit slower than that by about 10 seconds a mile, and it put me in the top 0.3% of parkrunners for the year. Of course, parkrun is an all-inclusive event that caters to everyone from top club runners to run/walkers.

When I started running around 18 months ago I was healthy enough due to having a very physical job and started off running 25 minute 5Ks and quickly got it down to 21-ish. I'm in my mid 40s.

tl;dr It's doable, but there might be more value in setting the bar lower to begin with and reassessing when you meet your target. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress!

EDIT: 0.3%, not 3% sorry
Last edited by panda-zebra; 04-23-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Thread Tools