• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

NimbusD

Like I said, Nintendo could've done its part to not so rigidly stick to its own formulas, like every shrine quest HAVING to end with a shrine, all the
dragons
behaving and having the same function, Lynels disappointingly ending up being the most powerful enemy in the game, no side caves etc.

I think it's easy to look back in hindsight and notice all the things that can be improved. I'm 100 hours in and still being surprised by stuff, though now Im definitely playing witha more critical eye, for example
I just did the forgotten temple shrine, and I was so excited because at thsi point all I want different out of the next game is to find something like this and have it turn out to be an actual dungeon. Which it wasnt, it was just a bunch of guardians, and at this point in the game I can take them out with ease (it might have been more challenging if I found it earlier for sure), but either way its not really what I was hoping for. But still, it doesn't make me think the game sucks, and I still enjoyed it, but at 100 hours in you're looking at the game with an eye to what can improve next.

I'm over 100 shrines, over 200 koroks, and I still don't have seen a single piece of those... Have I missed something obvious, or is it a price for following the story (especialy dealing with
mechanical beasts
?)

Or maybe it's a matter of name... is Sheikah the one that up your
defense against guardians
? Not sure what it trivializes, though...
It does what it says it does in the store you can buy it in.
Significant stealth improvement

I feel like people are a little too focused on rewards and progress. You're playing a game, the game is the reward. Making it to the top of that mountain and enjoying the view is the reward. Finally beating that Hinox without cheesing it is the reward. Do you really need a present to go with it? As for progress? If you were so thoroughly engaged in wandering around the woods picking mushrooms that you spent an hour doing it, what do you care that you made no "progress"? You are either enjoying doing whatever you're doing or you aren't.

This afternoon I'm going to enjoy trying ride a log into the sky with my massive supply of balloons. I do not expect the game to pat me on the head for my efforts and no progress will be made.
The game's awesome and I agree with the game being the reward, but it's a hard switch for people who love the old Zelda formula. By progress/reward, they mean the experience of not being able to go somewhere, getting a thing, then being able to go to that place they remember. I personally miss the experience of getting a new ability that gave me a new perspective on an old area. I miss having to use my memory and imagination that way. Limitations are fun when a game has limited scope. In Breath of the Wild, what you see is what you get. You use your ingenuity in the moment, with almost no limits. And it all works because the game's world is so vast, unlike past Zeldas.

Lilo_D

Wow, some of these open world puzzles are crazy. I just did
Master the Wind
("of the"?), so cool. Bummed the reward is
a shrine. Yay

Edit: and wow, good boomerangs are the best for clearing out camps. Boomerang to all heads.

yep i really love the environmental puzzle

xviper

is there anything else similar to Eventide island or the Yiga clan ??

if i killed gannon, will i continue to play the open world or will it start a new game ?

Lilo_D

is there anything else similar to Eventide island or the Yiga clan ??

if i killed gannon, will i continue to play the open world or will it start a new game ?

I really enjoy spirit of wisdom quest don't know if you did that one]

bridegur

Am I the only one who doesn't think BOTW feels all that much like Zelda 1? The fact that it only has four very simple dungeons doesn't help, and the fact that they're all out in plain sight rather than hidden REALLY doesn't help. A Zelda game can never be a TLOZ successor without totally obscure, unmarked dungeons, imo.

They nailed the openness, but that's not all it takes to fill the shoes of TLOZ.

I sort of agree. Hopefully they'll be able to go a bit more in that direction with the next game.

I actually think it would've made a huge difference if they had replaced the shrine loading screens with an elevator sequence similar to the Metroid Prime games.

Lilo_D

that one was awesome, it is the first and only time i killed a
dragon
in the game

you can continue to play after beat the game there is no NG+ thing

I did that quest and eventide pretty early which gives me enough challenge, I really enjoy the shrine quest in this game

Apt101

I like how some of the shrine puzzles can be largely bypassed by coming at them sideways and figuring out other ways. Screw figuring out the right sequence of the 3D puzzle, I'll just
make a campfire, then set everything on fire by hurling my torch at stuff (was out of arrows)
. That worked! Probably saved myself a 15 minute headache too.

Red

Am I the only one who doesn't think BOTW feels all that much like Zelda 1? The fact that it only has four very simple dungeons doesn't help, and the fact that they're all out in plain sight rather than hidden REALLY doesn't help. A Zelda game can never be a TLOZ successor without totally obscure, unmarked dungeons, imo.

They nailed the openness, but that's not all it takes to fill the shoes of TLOZ.
It's a kind of reassessment of the original game's ethos. There are some concessions made (ie the shrine tracker) for modern audiences, but even that is optional.

There are still plenty of hidden locations, though I would love to have more expansive hidden dungeons.

HeroR

It's a kind of reassessment of the original game's ethos. There are some concessions made (ie the shrine tracker) for modern audiences, but even that is optional.

There are still plenty of hidden locations, though I would love to have more expansive hidden dungeons.

I personally hated the hidden dungeons. Keep that crap confined to shines or optional areas.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to say that I feel this thread's title in my bones.

I would've loved hidden dungeons though. Especially if you heard rumors about them like a shrine quest or something. Imagine bombing a wall and finding the entrance to an underground temple.

jariw

300 koroks found.

There are still plenty of open spots on the map for me to check, but does anyone have a good tip for finding these little guys?

I mean, I climb trees and look for obvious spots, but I'm sure I'm missing a ton. Are there any hints or sounds or things I can look for to let me know a korok is hiding?

Those little pots/balloons in the trees are the worst! So easy to miss them...not to mention the ones hiding in the broken logs.

I don't know what types of korok quests you find, but listen for the soft Korok rattling sound. I've found quite a few that way.

jrcbandit

I've done about 91 or 92 shrines and just don't see how there are still nearly 30 more out there, lol. I may just finish the game now since I've had a good run and Persona 5 is out soon, but I still want to unlock the final fairy fountain and upgrade a few pieces of armor.

What's the way to get shooting stars to spawn?

kris.

Banned
I'm maybe 30 hours in and I can safely say that I'm in love with this game. It's remarkable. I'm in Rito Village right now and the music alone is hitting me straight in the feels.

ColdPizza

Banned
I like how some of the shrine puzzles can be largely bypassed by coming at them sideways and figuring out other ways. Screw figuring out the right sequence of the 3D puzzle, I'll just
make a campfire, then set everything on fire by hurling my torch at stuff (was out of arrows)
. That worked! Probably saved myself a 15 minute headache too.

Yah. I've done this myself a few times. Whenever I solve it some crazy way I try to lookup how other people do things so I can smack my forehead for missing the obvious solution.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just ran into a shrine that needs arrows, specifically normal arrows, and I dont have any ffs. I thought you guys said you could lways solve the shrines with your normal resouces?

this shrine btw, the part where you need to
shoot a blue flame arrow into the torch on the lift

I know I know usually ou always have arrows, I guess I ran out and didnt notice (and have been turning them all to ancient also)

Speely

Banned
just ran into a shrine that needs arrows, specifically normal arrows, and I dont have any ffs. I thought you guys said you could lways solve the shrines with your normal resouces?

this shrine btw, the part where you need to
shoot a blue flame arrow into the torch on the lift

I know I know usually ou always have arrows, I guess I ran out and didnt notice (and have been turning them all to ancient also)

Yeah that is one of the rare caveats, I suppose. Just did that one last night too. I've started just buying Beedle out every time I see him. Not having arrows sucks.

Edit: Nice OT title! I just want to say the BotW fam here is amazing. Been so much fun reading about everyone's experience with this amazing game.

HeroR

I mean, like almost everything in BotW is already optional. That doesn't need to change.

Since dungeons are part of the main story quest, there're not the same as shines. So, keep that archaic hidden dungeon design to past to rot.

King Al B

Beat the game. 120 Shrines. 101 seeds, 4 beasts, 30 hearts. I got to 103 shrines before needing a map. Some i was like "how the heck did i miss that?" others i was like "how that heck was i suppose to know that?" I saved
eventide
for last. Got frustrated at first and turns out i was over thinking it.

Now im just going around fighting everything. Collecting lots stuff. Upgrading stuff. Just having fun.

Are the amiibos worth it ?

It's really difficult to gauge the definition of "worth it." Especially with the over inflated 3rd party prices.

The BOTW line look amazing (Especially Guardian), but not offer great in game items. The old SSB Zelda line, and 30th Anniversary Zelda ones actually can give you some fantastic weapons and really cool old Link costumes, but once again, the 3rd party prices may change your view on them.

I mean, there are a lot of strategies out now that detail how to easily farm a lot of the drops the amiibo provide. Really all you're looking at are exclusive costumes many of which have bonus stats that other in-game costumes provide.

Where are these strategies you speak of? Still trying to get the Twilight Bow from Smash Zelda.

I

Where are these strategies you speak of? Still trying to get the Twilight Bow from Smash Zelda.

Specifically items used to cook or upgrade (star fragments, for example).

The exclusive weapons, costumes etc are just skins that (mechanically) replicate items already in the game.

Speely

Banned
Refraining from going online and looking for lynel locations is getting hard. The combo of them being SO fun to fight and needing materials from them is what does it.

I pray for blood moons as I search.

nubbe

Nintendo need to restock the Zelda Amiibos already
Why release a new game and not have them, my brain is broken

Specifically items used to cook or upgrade (star fragments, for example).

The exclusive weapons, costumes etc are just skins that (mechanically) replicate items already in the game.

ahh, I see what you mean. Looks like I'm still stuck in an endless look of RNHell trying to get the Twilight Bow and a few others.

Nintendo need to restock the Zelda Amiibos already
Why release a new game and not have them, my brain is broken

I would say I'm shocked that they haven't capitalized on the opportunity to make a killing of the demand for these things right now by making more, but then I remember it's Nintendo we're dealing with here.

Refraining from going online and looking for lynel locations is getting hard. The combo of them being SO fun to fight and needing materials from them is what does it.

I pray for blood moons as I search.

I'll spoil one early location for you. As in close to where you start the game

There is one very close to The Great Plateau (where you start the game).

As you look out toward Hyrule Field before jumping off the plateau, look to your left. Between there and Gerudo dessert, you can make out a colliseum in the distance. Head there :)

I disagree, I think that by dropping all the safe conventions that made Zelda familiar for many years, they went back to rediscover what really made the franchise special, and realized it wasn't the conventions that were added to the series but rather the foundations that the conventions were originally built on to begin with.

I'm a Zelda fan who has played the series since the very first entry as a kid. Zelda is my favorite franchise of all time. Zelda is what makes me buy new Nintendo consoles. And I think this is the best one they have ever made.

Before playing BotW, I went back to complete the first two Zeldas on the NES Classic in the past few months. It's really awesome to see how the newest Zelda feels like a true evolution of Zelda from the points of origin, just like LttP and OoT were at their times.

Ok and I am massive zelda fan, I grew up on it. 100% every zelda game. I think it's easily the greatest franchise in gaming. It has every element I want in gaming, that perfect mix of gameplay systems from action, exploration and puzzle solving. It is the king of the gaming world. And I think this is one of the more repetitive not interesting zelda games they have made.

Dropping the safe conventions is fine, removing the best section of gameplays which were the complex dungeons or very guided overworld experiences is not fine. They didn't have to follow the same rules as past games, hell they didn't have to even be "dungeons". But this game needs more than a ton of little puzzle rooms. Or four larger puzzle rooms that are all kind of similar and all use the same abilities you have been using since the start.

Every other zelda game is introducing new gameplay elements and situations constantly, almost never repeating (SS started doing the reacting that and it was my least favorite 3D zelda). This one repeats the same loop all over the world over and over again. Yes they have moments of uniqueness like eventide but that is so rare. Even the labyrinths that I thought was unique, nope there are three of them. There is nothing in this game as amazingly designed as the best dungeons throughout the series. I enjoy the pattern bosses of past games that make use of new skills more than this games bosses which after you become powerful are pushovers.

The beauty of going to a new area and knowing you will get a new item, you will experience brand new gameplay, brand new puzzles and an incredible designed gameplay segment filled with new enemies and ideas, that's missing in this game. Yeah you go to a new area but it's probably going to be the same enemies again. You will not get a new skill, you have them all. All the puzzles start to blend together and are some form of freezing or moving objects. You will see the same korok puzzle a million times, run up another hill, battle the same enemy camp, solve a simple riddle for a shrine and so on.

The changes this game made were great, the formula needed a shakeup. But that didn't have to mean the good level design had to stop. That doesn't mean they should have made a game with tons and tons of repetition rather than focus on a smaller but better world filled with more unique experiences.

Speely

Banned
I'll spoil one early location for you. As in close to where you start the game

There is one very close to The Great Plateau (where you start the game).

As you look out toward Hyrule Field before jumping off the plateau, look to your left. Between there and Gerudo dessert, you can make out a colliseum in the distance. Head there :)

I missed that one! Thanks :) I didn't end up seeing one until the Lanayru East Gate area. I will shamelessly accept this spoiler.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
80 hours. Still 2 divine beasts to do.

I don't think I've been that involved into a single player game.

The social experience I have with my friends playing it, the way we talk about it all the time is unprecedent.

Right, this zelda 1 comparison is not a good one. Zelda has 9 actual dungeons. Open dungeons you can tackle any way you want. New items to discover that open new areas of the map in surprising ways. You can run into the 8th dungeon, get the master key and never have to worry about keys again. That is amazing freedom but keeping the magic of finding something of significance in the world, a real dungeon.

This game is not zelda 1. It got the exploration right, the world right. But without dungeons, or unique new items as you progress it's not zelda 1. Hell I even think zelda 1 had more unique enemies than this game.

Speely

Banned
80 hours. Still 2 divine beasts to do.

I don't think I've been that involved into a single player game.

The social experience I have with my friends playing it, the way we talk about it all the time is unprecedent.

Totally. My friend said last night: "Who said this isn't a multiplayer game?" while I was playing in the living room on the big screen. He and a couple others were watching me play and giving me advice for all kinds of stuff just based on watching, and they were amazed by how many of their ideas worked just by observing the consistency of the physics and environment. They literally would not let me undock it to go play before bed.

Yah. I've done this myself a few times. Whenever I solve it some crazy way I try to lookup how other people do things so I can smack my forehead for missing the obvious solution.

This with me with the two bomb shrine... I was thinking I had to use
bomb arrows
... I didn't even realize I could use
both types of normal bombs separately

Top Bottom