• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth out now on iPad/iPhone, $14.99

$14.99

Playable in landscape and portrait (w/map on bottom half), MFi controller support, local co-op, Bluetooth controller support, iCloud saving. Apple TV version coming eventually

The Binding of Isaac is a randomly generated action RPG shooter with heavy Rogue-like elements. Following Isaac on his journey players will find bizarre treasures that change Isaac's form giving him super human abilities and enabling him to fight off droves of mysterious creatures, discover secrets and fight his way to safety.

About the Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the ultimate of remakes with an all-new highly efficient game engine, all-new hand-drawn pixel style artwork, highly polished visual effects, all-new soundtrack and audio by the the sexy Ridiculon duo Matthias Bossi + Jon Evans. Oh yeah, and hundreds upon hundreds of designs, redesigns and re-tuned enhancements by series creator, Edmund McMillen. Did we mention the poop?

Key Features:
Over 500 hours of gameplay
4 BILLION Seeded runs!
20 Challenge runs
450+ items, including 160 new unlockables
Integrated controller support for popular control pads!
Analog directional movement and speed
Tons of feature film quality animated endings
Over 100 specialized seeds
2-Player local co-op (MFi Controller required)
Over 100 co-op characters
Dynamic lighting, visual effects and art direction
All-new game engine @60FPS 24/7
All-new soundtrack and sound design
Multiple Save slots
Poop physics!
The ultimate roguelike
A bunch of achievements

Uber secrets including:
10 Playable Characters
100+ enemies, with new designs
Over 50 bosses, including tons of new and rare bosses
Rooms FULL OF POOP!
Mystic Runes
Upgradeable shops

sc552x414.jpeg

sc552x414.jpeg

I love Binding of Isaac but there's no way I'm paying it with virtual buttons.
McMillen doesn't seem like the kind of developer that would go through with a mobile version if he felt the controls weren't adequate. IE not porting Super Meat Boy but instead doing a version made for mobile

But either way, dual stick shooters usually control well on mobile

Dingotech

Somebody take the plunge and tell me if it's worth it to play this occasionally with virtual controls.

I've got a copy on Vita but I don't always have that in my pocket when I'm stuck somewhere bored.

robotrock

Banned
McMillen doesn't seem like the kind of developer that would go through with a mobile version if he felt the controls weren't adequate. IE not porting Super Meat Boy but instead doing a version made for mobile

Did this ever come out?

AoM

How much did Edmund have to do with this, though?

How much did Edmund have to do with this, though?
I mean, even he didn't work on the port directly, he'd have to approve it and feel it was viable for the platform. They've been working on the port since 2015, since the game was originally rejected by Apple in early 2016 because of depicted violence against children

When will that new version release on PS4Vita? Damn.. I'll just get it on Steam I guess? I really want to get back into these now that they have switched to lovely pixel art.

Jaraghan

Is there any word on this coming to Android? BoI is one of my favorite games and I would love to have it on the go.

AoM

They've been working on the port since 2015, since the game was originally rejected by Apple in early 2016 because of depicted violence against children

The only reason I asked was because, considering the state AB+ released in, many are wondering how much he was involved with it.

ghibli99

I will never, ever get used to virtual buttons/controls, but I'm glad it has controller support and will spread the Isaac love to a wider audience.

I'll just keep playing on Vita, though.

Thezez

Banned
Spent about 5 mins with it so far. Isaac feels very floaty on the touch controls. Aim lock is weird and I had to turn it off immediately. Really wish Apple would allow non Mfi controllers, got a couple of PS3 controllers here that would be perfect for this.

I need people to actually play it on phone with virtual buttons before I take the plunge...

Is this just rebirth, or are afterbirth and afterbirth+ available?

So far, seems good. Touch controls feel great for what they are, will try some more with my PS4 controller in a bit.
The performance seems very good, though I've played only 3 floors, so I've not run into anything that would drop frames anyways. A constant 60fps so far is still good, but we'll see if/when the run gets a little crazier.
There seem to be scaling issues on my iPhone 6+ where the bottom of rooms get cut off and the camera relocates itself every time i enter a room. The bomb/pill/use item buttons also overlap each other.
Though, I am technically on an unsupported iOS version.

How is binding of isaac on 3ds? I heard it was a bad port but wondering if it has been fixed? I recently got a new 3ds during that $99 sale and wouod prefer the game on a portable with buttons before considering iOS.

HotHamBoy

How is binding of isaac on 3ds? I heard it was a bad port but wondering if it has been fixed? I recently got a new 3ds during that $99 sale and wouod prefer the game on a portable with buttons before considering iOS.

Get a Vita, bro. The 3DS port is still crap.

The updated version is not too terribly bad after the considering the 3DS' hardware. Definitely playable, I like it. Just expect some slowdowns.
If things get way too crazy it can slowdown to a halt/crash, unfortunately, but that's unusual, I find.
I recommend it if you want portable Rebirth, unless you can get this iOS version and have/can get a small attachable controller for your phone (not that the touch controls are bad, but so far, I'd rather put up with the 3DS version with for its controls over the touch).

Just get an MFI controller *shrug*

The updated version is not too terribly bad after the considering the 3DS' hardware. Definitely playable, I like it. Just expect some slowdowns.
If things get way too crazy it can slowdown to a halt/crash, unfortunately, but that's unusual, I find.
I recommend it if you want portable Rebirth, unless you can get this iOS version and have/can get a small attachable controller for your phone (not that the touch controls are bad, but so far, I'd rather put up with the 3DS version with for its controls over the touch).
Yeah I think I'll look into getting that MFI controller. Thanks.

Odd. Experiencing heavy slowdown past the first time I booted the game. Thought it was Controllers for All (for my PS4 controller), but it's slow now with that disabled as well.

Edit: Seems that it is Controllers for All. What a shame.

Huh. It also lags without a controller when in portrait mode.

I think auto-fire is the best way to play the game. Given that you don't need to track enemies in all directions like most dual sticks, and since the directional shooting relies heavily on your positioning, often you'll be firing in one direction for an extended period of time. Auto-fire lets you set the desired direction and then just focus on movement and evasion

Also I'm surprised by how much I enjoy playing in portrait on iPad, and how well it plays in portrait. I never played games in portrait on iPad.

Top Bottom