• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS] Tetris Axis coming on October 2, Nintendo publishes!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IGN gave this a 7.5 but their main complaint seemed to be with the presentation, something that I don't find an issue at all. They compared it to Tetris DS, noting that game's inclusion of Nintendo themes/characters and appeared to mark Axis down because it didn't have those. They also said a couple modes aren't as entertaining as others.

Nekofrog

Banned
I must've been the only person who HATED Tetris DS BECAUSE of the Nintendo-ification of it. The music was mainly what killed the game for me (the "rendition" of the classic Tetris theme would have sounded better if done by an orchestra of flatulent fat men).

Mudkips

Banned
I've had no problems playing online.

The "communication error" message actually shows up whenever you opponent leaves.
(Typically after you beat them.)

The only issue is that instead of a friendly "you're opponent has left" message, it kicks you to the menu and you have to go through it again to search for a new opponent.

Plinko said:
IGN gave this a 7.5 but their main complaint seemed to be with the presentation, something that I don't find an issue at all. They compared it to Tetris DS, noting that game's inclusion of Nintendo themes/characters and appeared to mark Axis down because it didn't have those. They also said a couple modes aren't as entertaining as others.
Tetris DS is a hard act to follow, that game was made with love.

blitz64

Items sucks in this game. I hate the item that swaps your whole screen with someone else. I'm never a fan of tetris with items but this is not tolerable.

I guess I'm stuck with just 2 player online mode with no items.

iphys

Yeah, that swap screen item is terrible, because it's too easy for people to fill the screen with garbage and then swap to totally screw you. It's definitely one of the worst items ever, and as long as they keep including broken items like that, I have no desire to play the item battles.

I really like the presentation of the game, and I'd much rather play this game than Tetris DS, so I think it's silly that this game is being bashed for not being Tetris DS. I just wish I could turn off my Mii and the game would save all my option settings for the various game modes, rather than making me redo them every time I start the game up.

beje

Banned
I've been reading some reviews and there's some info still not clear enough. Could someone help?

- StreetPass and SpotPass: are they used? For what?
- Leaderboards: are they online? or just local with the people you play wirelessly with?

Thanks!

m.i.s.

Banned
Nekofrog said:
I must've been the only person who HATED Tetris DS BECAUSE of the Nintendo-ification of it. The music was mainly what killed the game for me (the "rendition" of the classic Tetris theme would have sounded better if done by an orchestra of flatulent fat men).

You're not. I can't stand this practice of Nintendo just poking their **** licence in each and every game.

It's corporate Nintendo's attempt to reel in the aficionados with 'filler' modes and nostalgia.

My favourite [Gameboy] Tetris is still GBC Tetris DX.

tuffy

I don't mind the board swapping item. Other players try to put me into insta-lose situations and I'd either clear my way free, or fix up the board with my own items. What I really can't stand are the blow-into-the-microphone items, which really foul up my concentration. It also doesn't help that the CPU opponents are 10 levels of weaksauce, so there's no one to practice against. Some of the party modes are neat, but the main attractions are one minor disappointment after another.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
beje said:
I've been reading some reviews and there's some info still not clear enough. Could someone help?

- StreetPass and SpotPass: are they used? For what?
- Leaderboards: are they online? or just local with the people you play wirelessly with?

Thanks!

1) Not sure what Street/Spotpass is for.

2) Yes, leaderboards are online.

I absolutely love this game, but I do agree--the board swapping item is crap. Makes for easy victories every time. Easy solution: Hit "X" on the game selection screen and turn the items off. Way better.

«þ»

What are the online modes like in this game?

Tetris Party Deluxe DS online was horrible for one main reason - players could quit before the match ended to avoid losing rating points - and 99% of players with a decent rating did exactly that.

iphys

Spotpass is for extra Fever items, but I'm not sure if they're ever going to give us any other than the 3 they have, so it seems pretty useless.

There is a level 11 CPU, which you can select from the options. I think all I did was play through levels 1-10 and then it was there. Someone else told me you have to win 10 matches in a row to unlock it.

bryehn

Wow, the AR modes are terrible in this.

Really bad frame rate issues when playing vs. CPU thanks to the animated backgrounds too.

Rather lackluster over all, I still prefer Party or the PSN version for sure.

CozmoD

Neo Member
I'm really enjoying this version of Tetris... The only exception is the onslaught of communication errors. They used to only appear when people left the lobby... now its happening in-game. I guess more people have the game and its breaking the tiny Tetris servers. I imagine the server is being hosted on an old DS-Phat.

loosus

Banned
What were they thinking with the items? Someone actually found a way to destroy Tetris. Amazing. This is almost as broken as Mario Kart.

Top Bottom