• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preparing for Wild Hunt - Short lore/story recap of The Witcher game series

Iastfan112

Neo Member
A notable fact that's missed from playing the games without having read the books, is that witchers are very weak magically. It's an area for the sake of enjoyable gameplay is overemphasized.

CHC

Damn dude nice job! I thought it'd be a video but I'd rather just bring this up on my phone when I come across something I don't remember the details of.

Thanks!

A notable fact that's missed from playing the games without having read the books, is that witchers are very weak magically. It's an area for the sake of enjoyable gameplay is overemphasized.

Yeah, magic is "gamificated" for the video games, so it's a combat option as the swordsmanship is.

In the books, magic is "OP". A trained wizard is almost like someone in "Bewitched" , a little signal with the nose and baam! you are burning as if you were made of wood! or encased in a 1 ton crystal! or you are turned into a frog! Do don't like being a frog? Well tough luck.
Pure will over matter.

In the books for example Yennefer is trapped by some guys and they stop her hands to be sure she doesn't do magic but she gets to do it instead of normally with the hands, with a leg.... and she turns several of them in rabbits or something like that.

The conundrum with Letho comes down to how much judgement you want to pass.

Yes, he's been manipulating sorceresses and murdering royalty to prime the North for an invasion by Nilfgaard that's going to be bloody.

But at the same time he let Geralt live, and in Geralt's absence looked after Yennefer, who did nothing but continually get him and his fellow Witchers into shit while also trying to break them apart. In fact, the only reason he ended up speaking to the Empire was because he was caught by Nilfgaard as they region hopped. Again, protecting Yennefer. And if you chose to save Philippa he goes and saves Triss from the Nilfgaardians.

Why should Geralt give two fucks about the Northern Kingdoms anyway? Each and every king is still a cunt.

But Foltest is a cool cunt. :p
I think is in the 2nd or 3rd book were all the northern kings and queens are in a table talking about diplomacy, the one that sounded less like a prick was Foltest.

I hope there's some Witcher 1 callbacks, like characters and stuff. Kaer Morhen & its people, along with Geralt's W1 Tunic is a good start.
In addition to this, CDPR have stated they wanted to try and curb "do every side quest before main quest" behaviour, despite their abundance, by having mixed levelling/difficulty. So folk shouldn't be afraid to dig into the main quest. A lot of stuff wont be possible until you're high levelled, and like GTA/other open world games there's post-campaign play to clear up other quests too.

It's a good idea. However, I foresee a lot of "this game is BS it keeps giving me quests I can't complete" complaints in reviews and online.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
No mention of the fact that Witcher has the greatest twist ending in video game history? For shame.

No mention of the fact that Witcher has the greatest twist ending in video game history? For shame.

Witcher 1's ending? It's pretty great - and CD Projekt stuck to their guns for it, too. Far as I'm aware, they've never officially confirmed it, though the game itself is confirmation enough.

That reminds me, I hope that final choice is referenced in 3. It seemed awfully significant at the time.

Denton

Witcher 1's ending? It's pretty great - and CD Projekt stuck to their guns for it, too. Far as I'm aware, they've never officially confirmed it, though the game itself is confirmation enough.

That reminds me, I hope that final choice is referenced in 3. It seemed awfully significant at the time.
Witcher 1 is self contained and somewhat inconsistent with book lore, and since they are digging deep into that in WH, I doubt TW1 will be much referenced, if at all.

I hope there's some Witcher 1 callbacks, like characters and stuff. Kaer Morhen & its people, along with Geralt's W1 Tunic is a good start.
Thats not a callback to the witcher 1, but to the books. They need kaer morhen and the rest of the witchers to explain better who is Ciri for the people who havent read them.
Like they have already said, the main story of the witcher 1 is somewhat incosistent with the books.

Schlomo

Do you mean
killing or sparing the king of the Wild Hunt
? I doubt this will be taken into account in any way, since the story of W3 seems to require his presence.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Updated the op with a version that has some corrected spelling errors and some minor amendments.

Appreciated, especially from someone who hasn't played the previous game. I've done the Wiki read a few times but it's hard to make sense of with no context.

Do you mean
killing or sparing the king of the Wild Hunt
? I doubt this will be taken into account in any way, since the story of W3 seems to require his presence.

I forgot about that, actually. What I meant was
giving Jacques de Aldersberg to the King of the Wild Hunt or killing Jacques yourself. If the Wild Hunt wants something, the repercussions cannot be good, especially with the power Jacques has.

Now that I think of it, this is similar to the Wild Hunt's pursuit of Ciri. I wonder what they want world-bending powers for... A wild guess, but maybe to finish the conjunction they began?

Thats not a callback to the witcher 1, but to the books. They need kaer morhen and the rest of the witchers to explain better who is Ciri for the people who havent read them.
Like they have already said, the main story of the witcher 1 is somewhat incosistent with the books.
Right. I just mean, it's nice to see things from Witcher 1 in Witcher 3, reimagined in even greater fidelity.

Hammer24

Banned
OK book readers - here is a tough one I´m pondering for a while now:

What do you think was Geralt´s exact wording of his Last Wish?

pushBAK

Probly been asked but wanted to get a fresh take; just how imporant are the first two Witcher games?

I already plan on watching a longcut of all Witcher 1 cutscenes (cant be bothered playing through such an old game), and am debating playing through Witcher 2 on PC. Here is the video I plan to watch.

In addition; how accurate is this summary? (etremely mild spoilers)

- Witcher 1 covers the story of Geralt in pursue of a group of Bandits
- Witcher 2 Geralt lost his memory & tries to regain it.
- Witcher 3 After recovering his memory Geralt is on a quest to "follow his heart" & in search for the ones he loves & cares for.

Hammer24

Banned
Is it explained anywhere why Letho goes around killing Kings?

Yes, near the end of game 2, when you meet him in the centre of the ruins by the Temerian Quarter, you can ask him all kind of questions to fill you in.

Letho had been working for the Nilfgaardian Empire from the very beginning - his mission, to seed chaos before the Black Ones embarked upon a new war. Taking advantage of the ambitions of the Lodge of Sorceresses, its contacts and financial means — not to mention the support of the oblivious Scoia'tael partisans — Letho had eliminated two of the Nordlings' most important monarchs, plunging their realms into chaos. On top of that, he had thrown suspicion on the sorcerers, who were just regaining their standing. Thus was the force which had stopped Nilfgaard at Sodden dealt a truly shattering blow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it explained anywhere why Letho goes around killing Kings?

What Hammer24 said. Letho explains it all at the end of the game and I briefly summarise it in the OP image. Letho was working for Nilfgaard with the objective of seeding chaos into the Northern Kingdoms to soften them up for an imminent invasion. Killing kings is a great way to go about that. He started by getting cosy with the Lodge of Sorceresses who, ironically, planned to have King Demavend killed, and he simply played along as it worked with his own plan. Once he did that he ditched the sorceresses and hooked up with the Scoia'tael, who he knew would jump at the chance to have a king (this time Foltest) assassinated even without knowing his true intentions.

He only managed to kill the two as the attempt on Henselt's life failed and I don't believe any was made on Radovid. But that was enough, especially since both kings ruled the two regions closest to Nilfgaard and thus were primed for invasion.

EatChildren

I haven't read the books, so no :p

Hammer24

Banned
I haven't read the books, so no :p

A shame! It´s the one that ties Geralts to Yennefers fate.

Oh, and then you are also not aware, that Spakowski wrote an alternate ending to the Witcher story where he describes
Geralts and Yennefers wedding
! ;-P

Top Bottom