• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

jQwUTKC.jpg

Site | App Store
Uncover secrets of past lives in this story-rich, tactical roleplaying game set in Sigil, a dark fantasy city at the heart of the Dungeons & Dragons multiverse. Explore the planes, survive combat alongside a party of bizarre companions, and solve puzzles unlike any ever seen in the genre.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

As with Baldurs Gate, it plays very well on touch and the text (at least on iPad) is the right size to be readable. The new UI is great for touchscreen. The only minor issue is tapping on people to talk; it's obvious not as precise as a mouse

mtT2j3H.jpg

Site | App Store
Penarium is set in a sinister circus arena, where contestants, much like Gladiators of old, are forced to entertain a sadistic crowd. In this frantic 2D arena arcade game, you take on the role of our quirky antihero Willy who, to survive, is forced to run, jump and avoid an array of killer death-traps. Succeed and Willy will become the Champion of Penarium. Fail and he will die in a most horrendous way, much to the delight of the baying crowd.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Penarium, while it wont replace Super Crate Box, is very entertaining. After a few tutorial levels it starts to show some dynamic events on the levels that makes them very entertaining. Like suddenly water starts to rise or boxes start to fly while you evade all those traps. Making it a fun mayhem to overcome. Controls perfecly, but you can adjust them in setting if you want. Full GameCenter integration. Also has an endless mode. Recommended for those who like this genre without doubt.

ZLRF7CL.png

Site | App Store
Topsoil is an original puzzle game where you grow plants and work your garden's soil.
Your goal is to harvest as many plants as you can before your garden fills up! Manage your garden by placing plants of the same type next to each other, then harvesting them together. The more plants you harvest at once, the more points you earn, and the more soil you turn over. If your garden fills up before your next chance to harvest, that's game over. Keep growing and you'll discover new seeds, tall trees, and friendly birds along the way!

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Topsoil:
Interesting puzzle game where you plant things in soil, lining them up so when the trowel shovel thing appears (every few turns) you can clear them out. There are seeds to plant that sprout to larger things which are wipers more points. That's the goal - to get the highest score possible. No story, no music, no quests, just last as long as you can. You get several "free plays" then you can watch a video ad for3 more play. Not sure if you can get more free after that but the game has a 3.99 IAP that gives you infinite plays. Overall it's good but at the same time feels pretty barebones. Perhaps more can be added to it over time.

n5UY3py.jpg

Site | App Store
Full of Stars is a story-driven space journey game about humanity's survival.
The journey will be a test of both your skill and your humanity.
When a galaxy-wide war destroys planet after planet, humanity finds itself on the brink of extinction. Scared refugees scatter across the stars looking for safety. Luckily, they find you - a daring space captain, willing to bring them to a safe haven. You'll need to lead them through dark and unknown parts of the galaxy, remnants of long-dead galactic empires, and sectors overrun by alien life forms.

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

A cool mix of arcade evasion and text-based choice-driven space adventure
Love Full of Stars too... but the gameplay is so unimaginative. AMAZING concept though. Also just recently realized it's made by the makers of Puzzle Craft

nE45E5N.jpg

Site | App Store
A Golden Geek Best Solo Board Game Nominee, Onirim is a card game where you play as a Dreamwalker, lost in a mysterious labyrinth, and you must discover the oneiric doors before your dreamtime runs out - or you will remain trapped forever!
Wander through the chambers of dreams, hoping that chance will reveal the doors, or linger in each type of room. In either case, you will have to deal with the slithering Nightmares which haunt the hallways of the labyrinth.

sc552x414.jpeg
sc552x414.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

It's a wonderful implementation of a wonderful solitaire.
At the moment it lacks expansions (I'm pretty sure that's why it's so cheap...price will go surely app with new expansions) but it's damn addicting.
I've read people comparing it to Solitairica and Card Thief, but maybe it's just for the level of addictiveness because it's a simpler game...I would compare it more to Card Crawl or Lost Cities for the level of immediacy it has.
It's really well done and addicting...if you like card games I recommend it.
Onirim is pretty cool. The game scratches a similar itch as Card Crawl. Though it has an odd quirk in that you could have screwed yourself and not know so you keep playing. I'd prefer once I do that the game tell me so I can restart.
Bought Onirim since you guys compared it Card Crawl and such. The simple gameplay really appeals to me once more, the art design is nothing special imo but does its job and is nice to look at. However it is harder than I expected. Played 3 games but no wins yet..

kBAU0xj.png

Site | App Store
An adventure RPG that won the hearts of over 50.000 Steam players is now on your mobile! Become a daring pirate, prowl the seas on a ship armed to the teeth, trade, and assemble your crew from the best cutthroats. You will need a massive arsenal: cannons, mortars, flame throwers, and various rigging.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

NUoPKy3.png

Site | App Store
An action puzzle game based on one line art
Give direction the colored balls by clicking on the screen. Some of the balls are connected to line but some aren't. Some of them can cut the line but some can't. Some of them have friction but some don't. The objective is simple; divide the line into as equal parts as possible. Collect points and open new levels.

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

PYoasrJ.png

Site | App Store
Mallow Drops is a gravity puzzle where two kiwis try to rescue their lost eggs in a shattered world. Turn everything upside down as you slide, shift and move through its tricky world, a mix of platformer and a sliding block puzzle. Getting to where you need to go is half the fun - just be sure to look before you leap!
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

ApOgCmG.png

Site | App Store
Cast spells and battle monsters in this turn based game, that has you delving into ever the changing Dreadwood to retrieve the lost book.
Ms. Spell is a single player turn based game about exploring randomly generated levels as you cast found spells and battle monsters.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

nvo2Gtt.png

Site | App Store
Invert is a tile flipping puzzle game for fans of brain teasers like Reversi, Go, Sudoku, Solitaire and Rubiks Cubes.
In Invert you press buttons around a tile grid that flip a certain pattern of tiles. Your goal is to make all tiles the same color using as few moves as possible. Easy to solve, but hard to solve well.

lBL80sK.png
Upp8zha.png

RYbBnNE.png

Site | App Store
Antitype is a game all about opposites. With a clue and your knowledge of the alphabet, you'll change opposing letters to decipher each pair of opposite words.
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

M06Q8PW.png

Site | App Store
Vignettes is a casual but unique exploration game without text or characters, where objects shapeshift as you spin them around to wander through a kaleidoscope of different moods and settings.
An accessible, colorful experience for all to enjoy, filled with playful interactions and hidden secrets.

plantHD.png
statueHD.png

wcEfO6V.png

A Snake's Tale - May 2nd
Just Ski - May 10th
Miles & Kilo - May 11th
No Stick Shooter - May 18th
To the Moon

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog
iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS
iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008
iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Grim Patron for this month's thread title, as well as Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

HotHamBoy

Match Land sucks, avoid. Cute graphics, F2P garbage.

Zen Pinball is teasing a huge announcement on Twitter. Multiple tweets in this vein:

Zen Studios
@zen_studios
Keep an eye out for up coming announcements about pinball! Big things are happening here at Zen!

PiNDY
@pindypinball
@zen_studios Could it finally be time to unveil Zen Pinball 3? (Or at least a new table!)

Zen Studios
@zen_studios
@pindypinball Hmmmm... you never know. 😉

Zen Pinball 3, if that's what's coming, is supposed to add the multiplayer features that Zen Pinball tested out in the stand-alone Bethesda Pinball app. it would likely add other features, improve graphics and performance and improve physics.

First! I got a $25 iTunes card that I'm itching to spend.

And I got 25 recommendations for ya!

TBiddy

Hoping this is the right thread. I'm looking for a casual, idle RPG, that I can spend 5-10 minutes on (max) here and there during the day. I'm currently playing Idle Heroes (which is a rip-off of Dungeon Rush, afaik), and I'm enjoying it, but I could use one more.

Preferredly a free game, which entails building a team, teaming up with guildies etc, but doesn't require you to spend a lot of time and money in order to progress.

I'm on iOS (which you may have guessed, based on the thread :p) btw.

HotHamBoy

Hoping this is the right thread. I'm looking for a casual, idle RPG, that I can spend 5-10 minutes on (max) here and there during the day. I'm currently playing Idle Heroes (which is a rip-off of Dungeon Rush, afaik), and I'm enjoying it, but I could use one more.

Preferredly a free game, which entails building a team, teaming up with guildies etc, but doesn't require you to spend a lot of time and money in order to progress.

You might try Endless Frontier, Nonstop Knight and Tap Titans 2.

I'm not really a fan of the genre, though.

TBiddy

You might try Endless Frontier, Nonstop Knight and Tap Titans 2.

I'm not really a fan of the genre, though.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Already have Nonstop Knight, which was fun for a short while, but got really repetitive and boring kinda fast.

HotHamBoy

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Already have Nonstop Knight, which was fun for a short while, but got really repetitive and boring kinda fast.

Yeah, I mean, that's the genre in a nutshell.

At some point you realize what a massive wast of time it is. It's 100% skinner box.

If you want a game you can just sink a little bit of time in whenever but still get the idle mining aspect, try Gumballs and Dungeons.

I'll cross-post this from the old thread, updated with some additional info, impressions and screens:

DHhj3c6e3veLyJNU6sckfw--O-pqRlefxZUVuRrH6vmZ8lwM0twV0jzz8D3UR_nCCg=h900

Gumballs & Dungeons (Free)

One of my absolutely favorite games on mobile is Rune Stone Keeper, a variation on Dungelot that I preferred.

Gumballs & Dungeons openly acknowledges these two games as the base of its design. What G&D adds to the formula is a vast collectathon/mining/upgrade element. The amount of playable character you can acquire is well over 100, there's a ton of dungeons to explore and things to upgrade. As you progress through the game you will unlock more and more features, several of which involve idle mining for resources and items. It's fun to check in throughout the day and collect your goodies.

There are many dungeons to explore, each one featuring a different theme and set of enemies, easter eggs and a unique central mechanic. The game automatically saves your place on every floor, so whether you are playing a dungeon with an end or and endless dungeon, you can stop whenever. It's perfect for quick distractions or a long session.

Characters belong to 1 of 4 factions. When you prepare for a dive you can link to up to 2 gumballs you have from within that faction, sharing the unique abilities and class features those gumballs have. It's a cool system that makes less viable characters still useful for augmenting builds.

10662_screen_1

31.jpg

11.jpg

Gumballs-Dungeons-Gaming-Cypher-2-800x474.jpg

Gumballs-Dungeons-Gaming-Cypher.png

The F2P aspect is so benign that I've yet to see a reason to spend any money unless you just want to throw the devs a bone.

Another really fun aspect of G&D is the crazy amount of fanservice nods to various video games, movies and other pop culture staples.

divine-dragon-59b99.png

How could you not love a game that makes a direct reference to Rocket Slime Adventures??

latest

46640-Dragon_Quest_Heroes_-_Rocket_Slime_(U)(Legacy)-9.jpg

The Airship is unlocked about a third into the game. This opens up a whole slew of new features like player alliances, special puzzle dungeons and airship battles against other players. It really freshens the game up and keeps things interesting.

3590263.jpg

3590262.jpg

I've been playing this game every day for two weeks and I'm not even halfway done. The content seems endless and it's all very well paced in the way it opens up features. Highly recommended!

17017055_1216429981788154_7037328839413959502_o.jpg

TBiddy

Holy shit, that's a recommendation if I ever saw one. Going to download it right away! But yes, you're right. Idle games are mostly just a time sink, but I find them great for playing on the toilet, when out smoking or whenever you have 5-10 minutes to yourself. Hopefully G&D will be my new go-to game. Thanks!

Matt Frost

After the End: Forsaken Destiny is incredible! Wow! You guys were right about it. Hopefully this helps me with my CR addiction!

HotHamBoy

Holy shit, that's a recommendation if I ever saw one. Going to download it right away! But yes, you're right. Idle games are mostly just a time sink, but I find them great for playing on the toilet, when out smoking or whenever you have 5-10 minutes to yourself. Hopefully G&D will be my new go-to game. Thanks!

Cool, I hope you like it!

You're gonna wanna save your Gems for mining upgrades and later for fragments. Don't use them to revive on dungeons with a finite end. On the other hand, in endless dungeons it can be well worth the gem fee to revive if you are close to beating a boss as the rewards can be substantial. Plus, after a certain amount of revives you unlock the Soul Reaper gumball. He has a passive ability to reduce the cost of all revives.

There are hidden gumballs that can be unlocked through various secret methods. Some are as simple as spending enough gold at a shop, others involve very specific criteria. There's a pretty extensive wiki for the game online.

After you get the first 3 or 4 gumballs you're going to want to be more selective about who you upgrade. Those resources start to drain your wallet fast and you'll find that some characters just aren't worth upgrading because you won't really use them. But acquiring as many gumballs as possible has big benefits in other ways. I recommend focusing on growing one faction, this will come into play when you get the airship. But you should aspire to have at least 3 for each faction as some quests will require a specific one.

tariniel

Awesome OT, nice job!

Anyone here try out Super Senso? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere and it recently got onto my radar from some twitch streamers. It seems like a pretty well-polished strategy game, even though I'm not usually into strategy games at all. I played it a little bit yesterday long enough to do the daily missions and found myself enjoying it.

People are calling it the turn-based-strategy version of Clash Royale. I've never played Royale but it's a strategy game where your units are cards, and you can level the cards up by using them or getting duplicates of said card. You also have a hero that spawns at the start that is a unique unit as well. It's F2P but I don't know how P2W it is just yet since I just started. The only complaint I have about it so far, is that it took 20% off my battery and made my phone really hot in no time at all, but there are some graphics settings I can turn down that I haven't experimented with yet (iPhone 7+). It runs super smooth and looks great though.

I've been looking for something semi-addicting with daily objectives and this seems like a candidate, at least. Although at this point I kind of want to go try Hearthstone or Brave Exvius again... I'm open to suggestions on that front if anyone has any.

Also I did give that Gumballs and Dungeons game a brief spin but for some reason the English in it bothers me. Probably a really shallow reason to dismiss a game so I'll try to play it a bit more and see if I can get into it.

👍👍👍 on the OT MB

Anybody heard of this game called Dead by Death? Supposed to be a castlevania type platformer and TA forums seemed to have like it. Anybody else tried it and care to give impressions?

awp69

👍👍👍 on the OT MB

Anybody heard of this game called Dead by Death? Supposed to be a castlevania type platformer and TA forums seemed to have like it. Anybody else tried it and care to give impressions?

I have it but haven't put much time into it yet. Part of my never ending backlog. That said it seemed pretty good from what I did play.

Also, it was originally called Die by Died. While better grammatically, Dead by Death isn't much better for a title but I don't think it's from a native English speaker.

TheExodu5

Banned

For solo play, check out Idle Mage Attack. it looks terrible but there's a good amount of depth and the incremental mechanics are incredibly well done. It has some very interesting systems in place to cater to diffferent levels of activity. I think it's the best incremental on iOS.

Avoid Tap Titans 2...an absolute money sink.

TBiddy

Cool, I hope you like it!

Thanks for the tips. Playing countless F2P games on iOs have tought me not to spend the "valuable currency" you start off with. There's always a better use for it later on.

For solo play, check out Idle Mage Attack. it looks terrible but there's a good amount of depth and the incremental mechanics are incredibly well done. It has some very interesting systems in place to cater to diffferent levels of activity. I think it's the best incremental on iOS.

Avoid Tap Titans 2...an absolute money sink.

You're right - it looks terrible. But perhaps it's less of a battery drain then :)

HotHamBoy

Yet another classic boardgame gets the digital treatment. God damn, I love my iPad.

Race For The Galaxy $6.99 now available on iOS and Android.

pic3504006_md.jpg

Description
Race for the Galaxy is a strategy boardgame where players advance their empire by playing cards to build technological developments or to settle planets. Its core mechanic is a phase choosing game. Players secretly and simultaneously determine which one of seven phases they will lock in, all reveal at once, then execute the phases in order. Will you build an engine to ramp up VP generation on cheapo production planets? Will you invest in exploration and settle rare and valuable VP rich planets? Or will you rush a military conquest to cut off your opponents before they have a chance to develop their strategy.

Game Features

▪ 2 – 4 player with network multiplayer
▪ Single player mode with advanced neural network AI
▪ Five starting worlds and ninety settlement and development cards
▪ Free promo pack included: New Worlds with six additional starting planets
▪ Gathering Storm and Rebel Vs. Imperium expansions available immediately

PittaGAF

Osmos has been updated for 64 bit support and a ton of other stuff (including multiplayer, not sure when it was added).

It's a SEVEN years old game, one of the first of the AppStore.

I'm replaying it right now and I'm having a blast once again...just unlocked all the new modes that didn't exist back in the days....every level or so they add something new.

Only con is that there are separate versions (iPhone and iPad) as was typical back in the days.

Still a great game.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Yet another classic boardgame gets the digital treatment. God damn, I love my iPad.

Race For The Galaxy $6.99 now available on iOS and Android.

pic3504006_md.jpg

Description
Race for the Galaxy is a strategy boardgame where players advance their empire by playing cards to build technological developments or to settle planets. Its core mechanic is a phase choosing game. Players secretly and simultaneously determine which one of seven phases they will lock in, all reveal at once, then execute the phases in order. Will you build an engine to ramp up VP generation on cheapo production planets? Will you invest in exploration and settle rare and valuable VP rich planets? Or will you rush a military conquest to cut off your opponents before they have a chance to develop their strategy.

Game Features

▪ 2 – 4 player with network multiplayer
▪ Single player mode with advanced neural network AI
▪ Five starting worlds and ninety settlement and development cards
▪ Free promo pack included: New Worlds with six additional starting planets
▪ Gathering Storm and Rebel Vs. Imperium expansions available immediately

interesting - will check it out

in the mood for a card game

Hey guys, how is the iOS port of Knights of the Old Republic?

Worth it for an iPhone 7 Plus owner?

I've never played it and haven't really gotten into Bioware games, but since this is considered to be such a classic and one of the better SW games, I'm curious.

Quick question for people who switch store regions / use more than one account on iOS. I remember there was this 90 day restriction earlier. Is that still in place? It only lets you download previous purchases from one account or something.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hey guys, how is the iOS port of Knights of the Old Republic?

Worth it for an iPhone 7 Plus owner?

I've never played it and haven't really gotten into Bioware games, but since this is considered to be such a classic and one of the better SW games, I'm curious.

it'll be great - lots of top tier SW lore & story telling, fun combat and you'll have a screen big enough to really enjoy it

okno

Avoid BBTAN: 7YEARS. It has its moments of brilliance, but is largely just frustrating and has entirely too many ads.

ONECUE from 111% is also excellent, but an exercise in frustration. My highest score is 3. I have no idea how anyone could possibly get into the triple digits.

PittaGAF

I stopped playing BBTAN for like 5 seconds in the last week to come here and check messages.

All I see is BBTAN and possibile other games like BBTAN.

I'm now back playing BBTAN.

My life is ruined.
I hate you all.

Oynox

Interesting that you did not notice the game pop up in the Top 10 of most downloaded apps last year. Somehow I tried it back then but it could not convince me. For the better I guess when I see how desperately addicted you guys are now :p

Pitta, you mentioned that you mange your Gamecenter friends through the Lost Cities app. Bought it in the last sale as well but I am wondering how exactly you add new friends.

Top Bottom