• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it worth giving No Man's Sky a shot 1 year later with all the updates?

zenspider

I bought this day one( for PC) and I booted it up about a month or so later. Then I noticed I had to find materials in order to fly off the planet, so I uninstalled it. I didn't see a reason to leave my spot on the planet. There doesn't seem to be any real threat unless you're falling into some sorta lava or toxic pit? Those drones are pointless enemies. I don't even understand why anything exists.

I bought Mario Odyssey day one ( for Switch) and I booted it up that night. Then I noticed I had to find moons to leave my spot in the kingdom, so I uninstalled it. There doesn't seem to be any real threat unless you jump over the edge of the map? The goombas are pointless enemies. I don't understand why anything exists.

WaterAstro

No, there is plenty of evidence (videos of both gameplay and interviews where a certain aspect of the game is explicitly shown/talked) that have not been in the final game. It's the definition of a lie, the same thing happened to alien: Colonial marines. The social media may have increased the proportion of those lies, but they didn't came from the social media.

Yes, I saw that reddit post, and it was all wrong. The post implied lies, then linked to interview segments where Sean Murray didn't even say the things accused in the post.

Take the biggest "lie" of multiplayer. Sean Murray stuck to the answer that the galaxy is so big that it's statistically impossible to run into another player. If you played the game, you would know that because when you get to the centre, you literally create your own private galaxy seed.

And, guess what, there is multiplayer. The last big update put in multiplayer, and it works great. So the question of "will there be multiplayer" where Sean Murray answered yes is still true. He didn't say when. Before release, devs are working hard to get every feature out as soon as they can, and multiplayer was planned at the time. Sean Murray doesn't know how much they can get out in time of the release.

The game certainly doesn't need multiplayer for me, but this "big lie" is simply an empty accusation.

Narasaki

Trash game. Absolutely Lame-boring-cliché artstyle. It's like Sean murray saw the most generics pulpy sci-fi book covers (without actually read them) and say "Me likes sci-fi. I'm gonna make a game about space because planets and spaceships"

Game has nothing to say and has no real tension or human emotion.

Even the ps1 meme-game "LSD Dream Emulator" has more substance than this crap. At least that game has a genuinely unsettling atmosphere and real sense of "discovering" something never seen.

The sad thing is that you could see that in first teaser-trailers of the game. You could see that the game had no direction or soul, just "pretty rainbow colours," but people still bought it.

Is there much to do? Is there a completionist aspect at all to it, or is it kind of like just go and make your own fun?

The core loop of collecting resources is relaxing, but the added content for base-building and the more structured story help give the game a more coherent shape so you're not just completely, aimlessly wandering around lasering rocks.

mad597

Banned
Hows these devs got away with hiding and NEVER fully coming out and addressing their lies is beyond me. Guess that Sony crowd refuses to hold Sony or Sony exclusives accountable.

mad597

Banned
No, there is plenty of evidence (videos of both gameplay and interviews where a certain aspect of the game is explicitly shown/talked) that have not been in the final game. It's the definition of a lie, the same thing happened to alien: Colonial marines. The social media may have increased the proportion of those lies, but they didn't came from the social media.

Yep it was a lie and the devs got away with it because of people like him making excuses for them.

If you're interested in peaceful exploration while enjoying the OST, then I'd recommend Astroneer instead of NMS. They're both shallow games with a short gameplay loop, but Astroneer does it better and features true multiplayer.

I don't believe NMS is worth more than $5. It's a tech demo. I'd sell you my GOG version if it were possible.

Zizbuka

Banned
I haven't play a lot, but I think it's a good time waster. Not worth anything close to full price though. Then again, I really enjoyed Far Cry Primal........

Top Bottom