• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2011)

KidDork

Ezalc said:
After I finish I'm going to look into reading something else, I was thinking of reading Treasure Island and a few other old classic books and such. Anybody has any book suggestions? I prefer things along the lines of Monte Cristo and adventure/fantasy stuff.

I re-read Treasure Island a year ago, after having last read it as an eight year old many, many years ago. I had a blast with it. Stevenson is a great adventure writer. My memories of the book had become somewhat Disney-fied over the years, and I'd forgotten the darkness that lies at the heart of this 'boy's adventure story'.

Mr. Hyde

wG2jj.jpg

Synopsis: Geek Love is the story of the Binewskis, a carny family whose mater- and paterfamilias set out–with the help of amphetamine, arsenic, and radioisotopes–to breed their own exhibit of human oddities. There’s Arturo the Aquaboy, who has flippers for limbs and a megalomaniac ambition worthy of Genghis Khan . . . Iphy and Elly, the lissome Siamese twins . . . albino hunchback Oly, and the outwardly normal Chick, whose mysterious gifts make him the family’s most precious–and dangerous–asset.

As the Binewskis take their act across the backwaters of the U.S., inspiring fanatical devotion and murderous revulsion; as its members conduct their own Machiavellian version of sibling rivalry, Geek Love throws its sulfurous light on our notions of the freakish and the normal, the beautiful and the ugly, the holy and the obscene. Family values will never be the same.

Loving it so far! Chick is an awesome character. I started reading it once months ago but got side tracked. My girlfriend mentioned it to me recently, so I picked it back up and loving it more each chapter.

Aklamarth

I'm currently reading Clash of Kings. I have a "policy" to read "series" only after they're complete but, after seeing Game of Thrones the tv show, i couldn't wait and started reading. I've been pleasantly surprised while reading GOT.....thought reading GOT will be boring after seeing the show but boy i was wrong.

Echoes

I decided I want to read 7 books this month. Already finished with Haruki Murakami's After Dark (in one sit!) and Harry Potter: Year 1 (two sits!) and it's not a week yet. Happy with myself. Just started "Gun, with Occasional Music" by Jonathan Lethem. Any thoughts on this one?

gun-with-occasional-music.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Large Professor said:
I'm looking for a good book on the Clinton years. Anyone?
I'm slowly reading For Love of Politics by Sally Bedell Smith. Got a very cheap remainder copy. You can get it cheap on Amazon. It is very good so far. I'm up to Pres. Clinton's post-94 mid term reinvention. Makes me nostalgic for the 90s.

The author is a good reporter.

41V%2Bri-JysL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started Crime and Punishment. Not too sure what to think quite yet, but I am liking it. I just downloaded the free version on the Kindle store. Is the paid version vastly superior, or should I stick with the free one?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
BrokenFiction said:
What did you think of them? I have them on my wishlist.
Was this directed at me?

They're enjoyable. Only halfway through Johannes Cabal: The Detective right now, but I'm liking it. They're not earth shattering or anything, but I like them enough to probably keep them when I'm done. Lot of good funny quotes in there. Definitely worth reading.

Echoes said:
I decided I want to read 7 books this month. Already finished with Haruki Murakami's After Dark (in one sit!) and Harry Potter: Year 1 (two sits!) and it's not a week yet. Happy with myself. Just started "Gun, with Occasional Music" by Jonathan Lethem. Any thoughts on this one?

gun-with-occasional-music.jpg
I read that before. Fun while it lasted, but nothing particularly memorable IMO. Don't regret reading it, but if I could go back in time I probably wouldn't have read it, if that makes any sense.

Easystride said:
41V%2Bri-JysL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started Crime and Punishment. Not too sure what to think quite yet, but I am liking it. I just downloaded the free version on the Kindle store. Is the paid version vastly superior, or should I stick with the free one?

from my experience, the free Kindle versions are absolute dog shit. Garnett is pretty much the accepted Dostoevskii translation into english, apropos and everything

coldvein

Banned
just finished let the right one in. like i maybe said before, it was a little fluffy..but pretty good overall. nice fast read.

Soule

BruceLeeRoy said:
moonwalking-with-einstein.jpg

Almost done. Absolutely fascinating stuff. I started doing the Journey method and I am truly in awe at what I can recall. Its like getting a superpower.
This has caught my eye, I'm in the process of moving at the moment so when I'm finished I think I'll look into it.

As of now though I'm nearly 300 pages deep into Mogworld which along with Fight Club will be my companion once the computer is packed up.

Jokab

The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg

Great book. As a doubting atheist (not sure where I stood) this book turned me full atheist. A bit more than halfway in and it's a really interesting read, albeit a bit heavy.

KuroNeeko

Seanspeed said:
I love Sagan, but a lot of what he says in this book is common sense for anybody who's already delved into the world of rationalism.

No doubt his phrasings and his metaphors and everything are damn inspired, but nothing he says is truly that important. You're gonna nod your head a lot, but you probably aren't gonna come away with an entirely new outlook on life.

The last Chapter written by his wife was a tear jerker. ;.;

demon said:
I thought the movie was fairly good on its own for the first couple acts, then it went to shit. It changed from book so much though that they really wasted the license. Did you read the whole book? As I recall IAL is just a novella with 2-3 other stories.

I think it depends on the version, but IAL is also included in with a bunch of other short stories in the compilation "I am Legend (and Other Stories). My favorite of the bunch is "The Near Departed" - man, that story gives me goosebumps every time I read it.

Garryk

51YjmfXg3oL._SS500_.jpg

It took me a while to get through A Clash of Kings. I thought it started off slow but it really takes off after after you get through the first round of POVs.

rando14

TestMonkey said:
Midnight_Tides.jpg

About a third of the way through. Kinda weird without any Bridgeburners running around but I'm liking it so far.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like this series? After ASOIAF I'm thinking of picking this up.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just finished reading Dune.

Can't decide which of these to start next:

The Lovely Bones
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Road
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Kite Runner

Thoughts?

Ratrat

rwGph.jpg

I love the setup(the firs 60% of the book), there are so many possibilities for awesome here.

and Hipster Potter
Z90iU.png

Echoes

MrOogieBoogie said:
I just finished reading Dune.

Can't decide which of these to start next:

The Lovely Bones
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Road
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Kite Runner

Thoughts?
I read Time Traveler's Wife last month; one of my all-time favorites. At its core, it's a love story, but I thought the gimmick was executed brilliantly and some of the latter chapters were shocking and jaw-dropping – I was reading it with my sister and we talked a lot about the book.

magicstop

Probably like a lot of people in this thread, I'm reading Martin's ADwD, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Tyrion is so goooood.
Also "reading" (audiobook) Robert Jordan's Path of Daggers. I plan on re-reading Danielewski's House of Leaves after I'm done with Martin.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished A Dance with Dragons by GRRM. Great novel. I'd place it smack dab in the middle of the series in terms of quality. Above ACOK and AFFC but below AGOT and ASOS.

Now, to cleanse my palette with something completely different:

10mud6e.jpg

I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells. Picked it up based on some gaffer raving about the series earlier in the thread (and, well... owning all three books and being a fan of writing excuses). Fifty pages in and really enjoying it. Super fast read, fucked up while still being fun and, somehow, lighthearted.

rando14 said:
If you don't mind me asking, how do you like this series? After ASOIAF I'm thinking of picking this up.

I'm enjoying it very much. Word of warning though, the series is not the usual slow development into big finish. The author pretty much throws you into the deep end from the get go and things are slowly but epically revealed. Also, Erikson sticks to character knowledge depending on which point of view the current chapter involves so you'll get contradicting facts a lot. Very rewarding series though if you stick with it.

Working my way through these two.
d62Ec.jpg

Gr2jk.jpg

I'm enjoying Clash of Kings but it can get heavy at times and when it does, Guards! Guards! is a nice break. It's my first Discworld novel and I'm really digging it.

KingGondo

Banned
Finished A Dance With Dragons (finally, after reading nothing but ASOIAF since March!) and I've moved on to Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

Really enjoying it so far, although it's jarring to go from something so bleak and realistic to something so whimsical and fantastic. The only other book I've read by him is American Gods, which I was less than blown away by in spite of strong portions--this is shaping up to be much better.

Surprisingly, I've laughed out loud more than once and I'm only 1/4 in.

QP3

game.jpg

After seeing how popular it was on here, and then having it strongly recommended by my good friend...I finally took the bite.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Alpha-Bromega said:
from my experience, the free Kindle versions are absolute dog shit. Garnett is pretty much the accepted Dostoevskii translation into english, apropos and everything

Every time I'm reminded that someone reads Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Gorkiy, Chekhov and other great Russianwriters in translation I understand how lucky I am to read it in native language. I heard there was a japanese adaptation which uses modern japanese slang and it's quite popular in Japan.

KidDork

The_Hunger_Games-224x342.jpg

It was alright. Once you get the Running Man and Battle Royale comparisons out of the way, it's a dark YA novel that undoubtedly resonates far more with its target audience than an older reader.

A YA novel that manages to become popular that both shows government in a less than glowing light and presents a tough female lead character is what I enjoyed. The angsty bits were a chore to get through, but the story ended well and didn't insult either the reader's intelligence or weakened the main character.

Not sure I'm going to continue with the series, though. From what I've heard, this is the high point of the trilogy.

Dresden

Well, finished Cities of the Plain tonight and liked it even less this time around. Feels like a tired, indulgent work with a terrible epilogue. Some of what made the earlier novels so good seep through during the dog-hunt or John's final fight, but overall it just ain't very good.

_Isaac

Okay then.

sdIxg.jpg

Well I finished The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. It's somewhat cute and silly. It's a tech/scifi conspiracy thriller. The setting is pretty much a modern world where most of us are being watched by a secret organization. Every single way that we're connected is used to keep us watched and under control. Of course there's a rebel group that's against this and there's sword fighting, capoeira fighting, alternate dimensions, and so on. It's a silly book, and it can be fun sometimes, but it takes a while for it to actually get into the good stuff. All the build up is a littlle subpar and the characters sometimes come off as cartoons. Some setpieces are pretty fun though.

The author is somewhat interesting too. He doesn't use his real name and he lives "off the grid" just like the characters in his book. He hasn't even met his editor.

G7lcl.jpg

Another one that I finished is Fables: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham. This is a great little read. It goes by quick. All the characters are charming and it's an interesting premise. This volume takes the form of a whodunnit murder mystery. It would've been nicer if it was longer. There wasn't as much investigation as I whould've liked, but it was good overall. I hear the rest get better, so I mighit read on in the series.

Now, I'm either thinking of moving on to reading A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan or A Clash of Kings by Martin. I own both. Has anybody hear read Goon Squad? Is it any good?
cjl4y.jpg
gUtOE.jpg

Ohwiseone

Finished
espn_those_guys_hvae_all_the_fun_2011_a_p.jpg

So I took a break from reading, but ended up not being able to sleep one night, So I plowed through this

41CGy%2BCBDaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Thoroughly impressed, felt the teen angst and the
fake Star-Crossed Lovers during the games
was a bit meh, but I enjoyed it.

I already have the next 2, So I will end up reading both, Even though I know they get worse.

Amagon

sYc9K.jpg

Read the first book last year and stopped for a while til I actually watch the whole first season of the Game of Thrones show this past weekend. Started to pick this book up on Sunday and haven't stop yet. Using the Game of Throne wiki to help me remember who's who whenever I get thrown off during the book. Planning to steamroll through the rest of the series by the end of the year.

BLU96.gif

Actually started this one last month but its been and on/off relation trying to finish it. Its not I'm bored of it but just been busy/procrastinating. I actually wanna finish this book right after A Clash of Kings so I can actually get started to play Yakuza 3 & 4!

So many books/games/movies to go through, so little time. :(

Dresden

Dresden said:
Also picked up Civilwarland in Bad Decline, which looks to be a pack of short stories+novella about a bunch of white people problems. Not really feeling it but it was three bucks.

vk4NB.jpg
So some of the stories are great and some are not, as expected. They're mostly about miserable people in miserable situations sometimes being able to pull out, but more often than not end up stuck in whatever shithole they tripped into.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Just finished reading The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. The atmosphere is rivaled by few in bleakness across all media. Wow.

By the way, does Amazon have some kind of policy against trading in textbooks with highlights in them?

halfway through Xenophon's Anabasis , or roughly translated as long march home. how this is not used as a way to get people into the classics, I don't know. this is some fucking awesome reading. it's usually the first 'real' work read when learning Greek, too, and i'm inspired to learn just to read this action packed adventure how Xenophon intended.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished -

3442srl.jpg

Pretty light fiction, but I enjoyed it. The humor is right up my alley. Probably something I'll keep around just to pick up in the future for a laugh here or there. Not an all time classic.

About to start -

1j6wzc.jpg

Cfh123

The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts

A one-volume history of WWII, largely from a British perspective. I'm really enjoying it.

BuxYg.jpg

Top Bottom