• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

FreshCakes
(05-29-2017, 02:47 AM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZgN0dpFoaE

The trailer came out earlier this week. and it's a western directed by the guy that wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water.

Synopsis:

WIND RIVER is a chilling thriller that follows a rookie FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) who teams up with a local game tracker with deep community ties and a haunted past (Jeremy Renner) to investigate the murder of a local girl on a remote Native American Reservation in the hopes of solving her mysterious death.

Comes out in August, but it's been getting a lot of good buzz.
FreshCakes
(07-18-2017, 01:57 AM)
Sorry for the bump, but trailer 2 came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCuz...ature=youtu.be

Besides Dunkirk, this is probably the only other movie I'm hyped for coming out this summer.
Last edited by FreshCakes; 07-18-2017 at 02:24 AM.
BruceCLea
(07-18-2017, 02:16 AM)
https://youtu.be/tCuzMG3enK4
FreshCakes
(07-18-2017, 02:25 AM)

Originally Posted by BruceCLea

https://youtu.be/tCuzMG3enK4

Lmfao whoops, don't know how I miss that
kopitarrulez_11
(08-09-2017, 10:42 AM)
Saw the advanced showing last night what a film loved it
Dalek
(08-11-2017, 08:45 PM)
I heard Jeremy Renner promoting this on Howard Stern so I just watched the trailer. Looks must see for sure-will be watching. Great premise.
FreshCakes
(08-11-2017, 10:45 PM)
It finally opens up this week in my city. Can't wait to watch this!
Kin5290
(08-11-2017, 10:51 PM)
The whole dynamic of "weary, grizzled, experienced veteran male" and "young, inexperienced to the point of incompetent female" looks pretty damn tiresome. And of course the lead is a white man living around Native Americans.

A shame, because Sheridan is pretty good with visuals and tone.
KodaRuss
(08-11-2017, 10:51 PM)
Definitely going to see this when I can. Looks great and a Hawkeye/Scarlett Witch reunion is a great for any movie.
Montresor
(08-13-2017, 07:11 AM)
I saw this movie on Friday and I'm thinking about it right now, trying to go to bed, but filled with excited thoughts about this film.

I absolutely loved it. The first 20 or so minutes were slow. Really slow. Then the movie becomes intriguing. I started to enjoy it a little bit. Then the last 30-45 minutes gripped the heck out of me. The final act / act-and-a-half were mind-blowing to me.

The three things I loved the most about the movie (spoilers):

#1: The medical examiner arguing with Elizabeth Olsen's character, insisting that he can't in good conscience label Natalie's death as a homocide. Natalie's death most likely was the result of foul play, and ruling the death as a homocide is the only way to get the FBI to help, but the M.E. won't budge. Olsen's frustration in the scene was endearing to me.

#2: The last 30-45 minutes, which started just as Olsen and Jeremy Renner's characters (along with other officers) arrived at the fuel company where Matt worked. This was incredibly intense. I was god damn impressed. Things started to get real heavy the instant that cop said "Hey wait a minute, why are you guys flanking me" and nearly everyone pulled out their guns. Thrilling - the scene ended with everyone holstering their weapons, so there was no bloodshed just yet. Was gripping though.

#3: More of a continuation of #2, as it also involves the final part of the movie: Then, another part I loved was Olsen knocking on the cabin door, then the film switching to the flashback scene. I haven't seen a movie do a flashback quite like that before. The uniqueness of the flashback scene (or the way it was woven into the story), coupled with the shockingly brutal, tragic, and incredibly sad content of the flashback - together they put me on the edge of my seat.

Can't stop thinking about the movie.

I'd give it a 10/10. It was a slow burn of a movie, with gripping tension and a great, compelling final act.
Last edited by Montresor; 08-13-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Theecliff
(08-13-2017, 07:13 AM)
the moviebob review has put this film on my radar. sounds really good.
UltimaPooh
(08-13-2017, 07:15 AM)
Saw it already a few months ago...

I definitely recommend it. Excellent film.
Montresor
(08-13-2017, 07:22 AM)
What annoyed me is in my whole province (Ontario, Canada) only one theatre was showing the movie. This is a really really good movie none of my own local theatres nearby are showing it.
Last edited by Montresor; 08-13-2017 at 01:32 PM.
kopitarrulez_11
(08-14-2017, 11:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Montresor

#3: More of a continuation of #2, as it also involves the final part of the movie: Then, another part I loved was Olsen knocking on the cabin door, then the film switching to the flashback scene. I haven't seen a movie do a flashback quite like that before. The uniqueness of the flashback scene (or the way it was woven into the story), coupled with the shockingly brutal, tragic, and incredibly sad content of the flashback - together they put me on the edge of my seat.

Yeah this movie has been on my mind all week.
Yeah totally loved the flashback sequence I haven't seen something like that either. Pretty much brings the audience to hate the villains and bam the whole theater was cheering everytime Renner smoked one that whole part was just fine amazingly.
jond76
(08-14-2017, 12:17 PM)
Trailer reminded me of Thunderheart in the snow. I want to check it out.
strafer
(08-14-2017, 12:20 PM)
Just occured to me that Taylor was the sheriff on Sons of Anarchy.

Mind blown.
Discotheque
Pam Oliver sextape
(08-14-2017, 12:29 PM)

Originally Posted by strafer

Just occured to me that Taylor was the sheriff on Sons of Anarchy.

Mind blown.

yeah he hates acting though apparently. he's been doing great work as a screenwriter for his new career tho.

only reason I'm at all interested in this. having Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen as the two leads dulled any excitement for me but I'm gonna end up watching this eventually thanks to Sheridan's work on Sicario and Hell or Hight Water.
BLAUcopter
(08-14-2017, 12:31 PM)

Originally Posted by FreshCakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZgN0dpFoaE

The trailer came out earlier this week. and it's a western directed by the guy that wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water.

Synopsis:

Comes out in August, but it's been getting a lot of good buzz.

I love movies like this, it sounds great!
KidB
(08-14-2017, 12:49 PM)
What a great film. It deals with its themes very organically and really makes you care about the way these people are treated.
I usually dislike Renner, but he was great in this.
The last 45 minutes were so well made, the only other recent film with such intensity was Sicario.
UberTag
(08-14-2017, 12:55 PM)
Taylor Sheridan is the reason Soldado is pretty much guaranteed not to suck.
But we're still going to hear it's going to suck because of no Villeneuve in just about every thread it comes up.
They're both great talents, folks.