• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insecure - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Created by Issa Rae and Larry Wilmore, the eight episode second season of 'Insecure' will premiere on Sunday, July 23 at 10:30/9:30c.

Modern-day black women are usually portrayed as strong, confident and ”flawless." But Issa and Molly are definitely not ”killing it." These best friends must deal with their own real-life flaws as they attempt to navigate different worlds and cope with an endless series of uncomfortable everyday experiences.

Starting Sunday, July 23, all eight episodes of the first season will be available to stream for free for 24 hours at youtube.com/HBO and HBO.com. All eight episodes will also be available to non-HBO subscribers on participating television and streaming partners' platforms and free on demand channels.

Cast

Videos

Season 2 Tease
Official Season 2 Trailer
Issa's 5 Reasons to Watch Season 1

L+SD Ratings

Season 1:

Episode 1: 371K
Episode 2: 458K
Episode 3: 469K
Episode 4: 348K
Episode 5: 329K
Episode 6: 388K
Episode 7: 382K
Episode 8: 565K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 1.1 million

2lyjEYW.jpg

Looking forward to this. The way season 1 ended was really something special and I'm excited to see how they're going to pick things up from there. The show wasn't what I thought it would be before I started watching it.

I hope they bring Tasha back <3

Molly is a MESS, wonder if she actually grows up.

I'd love it if for the whole season she's single. Some people just need to be single and enjoy their own company instead of thinking that they won't ever be really happy until they find a guy. I'm so sick of the high powered businesswoman who just needs the 'right' guy to fix her. Maybe we can see some inversion on that trope and it will be all about her getting out there and picking up new hobbies, meeting other women and making friends with guys that aren't interested in anything sexual

- Variety review
It’s apparent by now that Issa Rae can do just about anything, except maybe win the World Series of Poker. Her face gives so much away, and that transparency would be a disadvantage in most card games. But it’s a situation that, in its confident second season, “Insecure” takes advantage of in witty and wonderful ways.
Like a lot of the best comedies, nothing much happens in any particular episode of “Insecure”; it travels the well-trodden territory of dating, flirting, trying to succeed at work and working through rough patches in friendships and romances. But the experiences of Issa and her best friend Molly (Yvonne Orji) are given such specificity, depth and nuance that each episode of “Insecure” is like a well-made cocktail — sweet, powerful and gone too soon.

Zero315

Banned
Looking forward to this. The way season 1 ended was really something special and I'm excited to see how they're going to pick things up from there. The show wasn't what I thought it would be before I started watching it.

I hope they bring Tasha back <3
I expected Lawrence to be gone by the time she got there, but I was not expecting the scene after that. Not that I'm complaining because... daaaamn, Lawrence tho...

Really looking forward to season 2. Hopefully more people check it out, I feel like I didn't hear anyone talk about the first season.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Somebody better check on Tasha after the S1 finale. Bare minimum get her a snack and some Gatorade.

- IndieWire review
This, in a nutshell, marks the improvement of “Insecure” between Season 1 and 2. The relationship dynamics worked just fine last year, but now that they’re freed from them, the predictable trappings of temptation and guilt feel like part of the past. That she had a fall-out with her friend and her boyfriend came as no surprise, even if there were plenty of delights before we got there. (“Broken Pussy” — never forget.)

Season 2 is taking those break-ups and building something new. Issa and Molly are stronger characters because of what happened; Issa and Lawrence are, too. It’s exciting to see them learn from their mistakes while making new ones, rather than make the ones we expect them to make (albeit in charming, empathetic fashion). There’s a lot to learn from a break-up, and “Insecure” seems intent on discovering all of it.

Oh, and yes: Sterling K. Brown guest stars. That’s all we can say, but obviously he’s one more reason to get amped.

Grade: A-

- YahooTV review
Issa Rae’s very funny, great-looking HBO sitcom Insecure is back for a second season on Sunday night, and it’s even better — more assured and finely detailed — than its excellent first season.
- Newsday review
BOTTOM LINE Smart, engaging second season (so far). The ensemble cast gets better and better. Grade: A-
- Matt Zoller Seitz review for NY Mag:
The risk in this kind of show is that viewers will complain that “nothing happens,” but that never feels like the case here because Rae and her co-stars shape every scene into a perfectly formed bit of social interaction, built around a core of conflict, but with fascinating bits of business happening in the margins. Some of the latter are funny in ways you can’t quite put your finger on; there’s just something about an actor’s expression or body language, or the timing of a cut.
- Chicago Tribune: Issa Rae, star of HBO's 'Insecure,' reflects on her real and fictional selves

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The season premiere is tonight!

Hella Great

Issa struggles in the aftermath of her breakup with Lawrence, while facing challenges at a new work assignment, as Season 2 begins. Meanwhile, Molly questions her worth at work; and Lawrence adjusts to his new living arrangement.

someday

Banned
I watched season 1 just a month or so ago and am stoked about being here for season 2. Really enjoyed this series so far.

Issa Rae is the shizznit. Loved Awkward and S1 of Insecure. GAF don't front y'all would date her and she's more interesting than safe choices Rihanna and Beyonce.

royalan

LAWRENCE

You sleepin' on an air mattress in your boy's crib...but you worried about pussy tho.

See. This is EXACTLY WHY I'm Team Issa.

Nope, she shouldn't have cheated. Lawrence got completely fucked over by her and gives no fucks anymore.

So that is supposed to justify his actions from here on out?
Including knowing that Issa is emotionally vulnerable and coming through and fucking her then leaving, knowing Tasha is attracted to him?...he is trash...and Issa is gonna have to do something special in order to make him a decent human being.

royalan

Including knowing that Issa is emotionally vulnerable and coming through and fucking her then leaving, knowing Tasha is attracted to him?...he is trash...and Issa is gonna have to do something special in order to make him a decent human being.

Yep.

Issa cheating on Lawrence doesn't excuse him being a dog right now.

You can MAYBE excuse his drive-by on Issa because there are CLEARLY still feelings there. MAYBE.

But he doin Tasha wrong. Yeah they're not exclusive, but at this point he KNOWS she's got feelings. Even his boy Chad called him out.

I'm sure he doesn't care about Issa's vulnerability, she cheated on him. He got his shit together when he thought he was abut to lose her, and she betrayed him and his trust. So her feelings are kind of disregarded here. Buuuut.....

Yep.

You can MAYBE excuse his drive-by on Issa because there are CLEARLY still feelings there. MAYBE.

But he doin Tasha wrong. Yeah they're not exclusive, but at this point he KNOWS she's got feelings. Even his boy Chad called him out.
He is fucking over Tasha bad. He needs to be honest with her about what he wants and not keep stringing her alone and toying with her feelings. She obviously wants more than what he wants to give her.

Yep.

Lawrence ain't shit...I can understand leaving Issa after the events of the first season, but everything he's doing from this point on is just a game to him which is just...ugh.

I'm sure he doesn't care about Issa's vulnerability, she cheated on him. He got his shit together when he thought he was abut to lose her, and she betrayed him and his trust. So her feelings are kind of disregarded here. Buuuut.....

He got his shit together because he had to in order to be a functioning member of that household...and he was still a raggedy ass dude slumping in Issa's apartment while she paid the bills and he ate all the fruit snacks.

Like I said, trash. If u can't be an adult about the cheating then let her go...everything else that he is doing is some kind of game.

Neece

Yep.

Tasha's a big girl. She knew what she was doing by trying to steal him away when he was dating another girl, she's hip enough to the game to know that they are kicking it, and kicking it doesn't mean we're exclusive. She's not naive.

Socivol

I am removing my membership of #LawrenceHive I see he's still a bum and that ending scene he a nasty nigga! This episode was funny as hell though.

He got his shit together because he had to in order to be a functioning member of that household...and he was still a raggedy ass dude slumping in Issa's apartment while she paid the bills and he ate all the fruit snacks.

Like I said, trash. If u can't be an adult about the cheating then let her go...everything else that he is doing is some kind of game.

Lawrence wasn't willing to work jobs that he felt was beneath him like fucking Best Buy because he had a degree and felt like he was good at his craft. He wasn't being hired, which is a big problem in the "tech" industry that Insecure didn't really touch on in the first season. He wasn't just bumming for the sake of bumming, he had too much pride. I can understand where he is coming from.

Lawrence wasn't willing to work jobs that he felt was beneath him like fucking Best Buy because he had a degree and felt like he was good at his craft. He wasn't being hired, which is a big problem in the "tech" industry that Insecure didn't really touch on in the first season. He wasn't just bumming for the sake of bumming, he had too much pride. I can understand where he is coming from.

Then work a temp job...no one forced him to work at Best Buy. He couldn't just be chillin at Issa's crib watching Steven Universe while she's out there working her 9 to 5.

There is nothing that justifies Lawrence's actions after basically making it seem like he forgave her for cheating. He should have ended it the night he left and moved on if that was how he truly felt. There is no decency in stringing multiple women along, especially one who he knows still has feelings for him....

Then work a temp job...no one forced him to work at Best Buy. He couldn't just be chillin at Issa's crib watching Steven Universe while she's out there working her 9 to 5.

There is nothing that justifies Lawrence's actions after basically making it seem like he forgave her for cheating. He should have ended it the night he left and moved on if that was how he truly felt. There is no decency in stringing multiple women along, especially one who he knows still has feelings for him....
He eventually did get a "temp" job. It was Best Buy. And he was constantly going to interviews and trying. He got beat down and took what he could get.

We honestly don't know what is going through Lawrence's mind right now. He most likely still has very strong feelings for Issa and is struggling to come to terms with them. Nobody is forcing Issa to repeatedly reach out to him to come over. I think he has been very strong in letting her know that he isn't interested in her anymore. You can't say he is stringing her along when he barely fucking talks to her. She answered the door in her fucking underwear, they were in love, shit happens.

He eventually did get a "temp" job. It was Best Buy. And he was constantly going to interviews and trying. He got beat down and took what he could get.

We honestly don't know what is going through Lawrence's mind right now. He most likely still has very strong feelings for Issa and is struggling to come to terms with them. Nobody is forcing Issa to repeatedly reach out to him to come over. I think he has been very strong in letting her know that he isn't interested in her anymore. You can't say he is stringing her along when he barely fucking talks to her. She answered the door in her fucking underwear, they were in love, shit happens.

When I say temp job, I meant to say work for a temp agency which would try to find something for him based on his degree and work experience.

He strung her along when he basically made it seem like they were going to reconcile during the girls trip at the end of the first season. Now he's literally toying with her emotions and making a Tasha a pawn. Also why can't she answer the door in her underwear without wanting to have sex with him? It's late at night, not everyone has to answer the door in a pantsuit or a jeans.

Con_Smith

Banned
Maybe he got caught in his feelings, still having some for issa, yet still mad. Also he probably has to get to his homeboy house before he locked out. &#128514;

Great first episode. Crissle was right that it would be a great.

Dre3001

Lawrence is out here on a revenge tour, hilarious episode.

With that said, this show has to be the most accurate show on tv when it comes to black professionals. Cant wait to see how this season unfolds.

Top Bottom