TwEE-N-Toast
Banned
(08-11-2017, 12:46 AM)
Wish I had a phone just for this.

Originally Posted by Kill Your Masters

The constipation face is universal.
M3d10n
(08-11-2017, 01:00 AM)
I look forward to the Avatar 2 tie-in Navi filter.
VeeP
(08-11-2017, 01:07 AM)
I know some people in this thread find the feature "gross", but I found it really cool lol. The whole thing in general. I'm a male Indian, so it was fun playing with the filter and seeing me as female, white, black, Asian, etc. Shame they took the ethnicity filter down.
viciouskillersquirrel
NeoGAF's Emotion Exchequer Extraordinaire
(08-11-2017, 03:25 AM)
Looking at when the filters got taken down, it looks like I was about one of the last people who got to see it working. I took my earlier "International Squirrel Brothers" picture and did some extra processing on it within the app. It holds up surprisingly well.

Original (Latino):

Indian:

Asian:

African:

European:

The thing that I keep seeing in these faces isn't just my own face, but also the fact that each of them, in the hypothetical alternate reality where they're real people, are very different people to me, have different backgrounds, different histories, different challenges and different goals. The way they see the world is different to me, even though for all intents and purposes they are me.

I can't even imagine what life would be like for Asian female me, the kinds of pressures she is (and isn't under). Would European male me have the same kind of job I do? Would African female me be even the slightest bit interested in video games? Does Indian male me have a good home life? I just don't know.

This is why I find the technology fascinating. It offers me a window into a world that doesn't exist, but is just plausible enough that it forces me to think about things from other people's point of view. I think it's a shame people's misuse of the app led to it being taken down, though I understand why it was necessary.
ronaldthump
(08-11-2017, 03:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Ashodin

Oh, here's mine I faceapp'd before it went down.

Speaking of racial empathy, it was the first thing on my mind while using it. If a computer can see that we're basically all the same jumble of features and various skin colors, why can't we eventually see past them as well?

that app is seriously incredible. asian you looks like a real person. in fact, they all do.
ronaldthump
(08-11-2017, 03:30 AM)

Originally Posted by whitehawk

I actually laughed out loud at asian seth rogen

shame about the app being pulled.
Audioboxer
(08-11-2017, 02:25 PM)

Originally Posted by ronaldthump

that app is seriously incredible. asian you looks like a real person. in fact, they all do.

When it stays the same sex the results can be pretty insane at times. It legitimately looks like it's just a photo of another person, not a crude photoshop, or just someone adding fake glasses. I think this is in part what makes many feel "uncomfortable" at first, as they can still recognise themselves, but they look convincingly like someone else. Occasionally what gives the male to female, or female to male filters away is what it does with hair. More so when it tries to make long hair short, or short hair long. Hair needs improvements.

Due to how well the app/tech does things, it probably could be the grounds for a genuine scientific study to see if seeing yourself as a different gender/race, but still being able to somewhat recognise yourself in the picture, impacts bias on feelings on different sex/race(s).

I'm not qualified yet, but it's seriously an interesting proposal to explore for anyone in the psychological fields/scientific fields. It'll have been tested before in other ways (racial/gender bias), but this technology could be new grounds for controlled experimentation. I honestly don't think it's a stretch to say very small social consequences could come from literally millions of people putting photos of themselves into an app that shows them looking normal as other races/sex. However, that is what would need to be tested on a large scale and in a controlled environment. I'd honestly put a bet on this being done, if not soon, not too far into the future.
Last edited by Audioboxer; 08-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Icyflamez96
(08-12-2017, 12:46 AM)
how does this app work if you're wearing a hat. Does it take it as hair?
BlackBanditSho
(08-12-2017, 02:49 AM)

Originally Posted by viciouskillersquirrel

Looking at when the filters got taken down, it looks like I was about one of the last people who got to see it working. I took my earlier "International Squirrel Brothers" picture and did some extra processing on it within the app. It holds up surprisingly well.

The thing that I keep seeing in these faces isn't just my own face, but also the fact that each of them, in the hypothetical alternate reality where they're real people, are very different people to me, have different backgrounds, different histories, different challenges and different goals. The way they see the world is different to me, even though for all intents and purposes they are me.

I can't even imagine what life would be like for Asian female me, the kinds of pressures she is (and isn't under). Would European male me have the same kind of job I do? Would African female me be even the slightest bit interested in video games? Does Indian male me have a good home life? I just don't know.

This is why I find the technology fascinating. It offers me a window into a world that doesn't exist, but is just plausible enough that it forces me to think about things from other people's point of view. I think it's a shame people's misuse of the app led to it being taken down, though I understand why it was necessary.

still fascinated by this app. I want it back. It totally shows me the world in a new way. I'm legit in awe of some of this tech.
RenditMan
(08-12-2017, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by BlackBanditSho

still fascinated by this app. I want it back. It totally shows me the world in a new way. I'm legit in awe of some of this tech.

It's sad that the legions of perpetually offended won't allow people to enjoy stuff like this.
Izuna
(08-12-2017, 10:15 PM)
Indian and Cuban coworkers saw the pictures I took today and were excited to try it on themselves.

;( had to give them the bad news
Maridia
(08-12-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by BlackBanditSho

It'll come back. If FaceApp won't bring it back, their dev team will disappear, and the tech will resurface elsewhere.
Just_myles
(08-12-2017, 10:32 PM)

Originally Posted by mayl3

My new LinkedIn profile pic.

Now that I think about it... hm....
taizuke
(08-12-2017, 10:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Oxn

Who is that?
GuitarAtomik
(08-12-2017, 10:59 PM)

Originally Posted by taizuke

Who is that?

Seth Rogen's sister.

/s it's Jillian Bell
Jean Valjean
(08-13-2017, 12:30 AM)
Oh man, I'm too late. No fun allowed indeed.
Last edited by Jean Valjean; 08-13-2017 at 05:20 PM.
NewGame
Banned
(08-13-2017, 07:29 AM)

Originally Posted by mayl3

My new LinkedIn profile pic.

You need to change your pic to various faces and then see how it affects your job offerings. For science.
Compsiox
(08-13-2017, 07:52 PM)
Is there an APK download of this version somewhere?
Gin-Shiio
(08-13-2017, 08:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Compsiox

Is there an APK download of this version somewhere?

Allegedly, it was a server-side update that removed the filter. There is no way to get it back.
viciouskillersquirrel
(08-13-2017, 08:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Gin-Shiio

Allegedly, it was a server-side update that removed the filter. There is no way to get it back.

It is a machine learning algorithm that does the actual processing and that took place server side. You're fresh out of luck, I'm afraid.
Compsiox
(08-13-2017, 11:50 PM)

Originally Posted by viciouskillersquirrel

It is a machine learning algorithm that does the actual processing and that took place server side. You're fresh out of luck, I'm afraid.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thanks guys.
whitehawk
leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
(09-08-2017, 05:51 AM)
They added a new filter recently, "hitman" filter, which is basically a bald filter.

I miss the race filters though :(
BernardoOne
For you.
(09-08-2017, 06:07 AM)

They added a new filter recently, "hitman" filter, which is basically a bald filter.

I was really disappointed on the Hitman filter, I was expecting it to remove facial hair as well. What a bummer.
whitehawk
leeches are the best bait when attempting to land bass
(09-08-2017, 06:10 AM)

Originally Posted by BernardoOne

I was really disappointed on the Hitman filter, I was expecting it to remove facial hair as well. What a bummer.

The young face removes facial hair. Do one first and then add the other.
viciouskillersquirrel
(09-08-2017, 06:42 AM)

Uh... the hit man filter seems to be a race filter. It thins my lips and turns me white like the European filter did.
robotrock
(09-08-2017, 06:54 AM)

Originally Posted by BernardoOne

any barcodes?
Kevtones
(09-08-2017, 06:56 AM)
The race filters were so so good.

These ones are okay.
Staf
(09-08-2017, 07:01 AM)
Ah man when i saw this bumped i though it was back...