• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Machina
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
Machina's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

Ummm, thats what I was trying to do?

If only you could pray the Omnivorism away
polyh3dron
couldn't find a lab with German shepherds
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
polyh3dron's Avatar
this one person I work with can't stop talking about that What The Health documentary thing... ugh.
HariKari
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
HariKari's Avatar
What happens when a vegan also does crossfit?
Always-honest
always-end-with-a-swirl
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
Always-honest's Avatar
I have a few facebook friends who are like that. But i also have some aggressive anti vegans on Facebook.
Both are kind of sad.
The Hermit
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
The Hermit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

People don't like being told they're assholes.

News at 11.

???
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(08-11-2017, 08:54 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

Do aggressive vegans hunt in packs? How do I defend myself from the onslaught of them ordering something else while I'm at a restaurant? When is it okay to use an anecdote about someone's shitheaded brother in law as license to blanket-judge every veggie eating hippie I see?

Herbivores don't hunt.

They're more like wildebeest. Just avoid them unless you see an elderly/young one straggle behind the main herd then you should call in your pride to gank it.
JJMorris
Junior Member
(08-11-2017, 08:55 PM)
How would you even know who's a modest vegan. Perception becomes reality.
Joe
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:55 PM)
Joe's Avatar
The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.
kirblar
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:55 PM)
kirblar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayven

Nothign rolls my eyes hard enough then people that make everything about their diet.

"I have a gluten free, so can you make sure it is organic?"

Fool I just saw you eat a whole sack of crazy bread by yourself.

There's nothing that people w/ Celiac Disease hate more than people like this because it makes their lives so much more difficult.
Pinkuss
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Pinkuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

Herbivores don't hunt.

They're more like wildebeest. Just avoid them unless you see an elderly/young one straggle behind the main heard then you should call in your pride to gank it.

Herbivores defend themselves though, it's all fair game in that regard :) (We are omnivores mind, we can eat a wide range of foods, some of just chose to not eat things which may suffer or are killed for us).

Can we make a thread about aggressiveness towards Vegans/Veggies from meat eaters; because apparently we deserve it (sure that's a classic bullying get out clause, somehow it's fine here; do actually think it's kind of nice people saying how it's not that widespread this kind of talk because it bloody is).
Mulligan
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Mulligan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

Ummm, thats what I was trying to do?

My comments was directed at all those assclown vegans who go around proclaiming themselves superior to everyone else and calling you a monster for eating meat.

Who the fuck wants to put up with that?

Your post comes across as you referring to meat eaters as assholes. My bad
Dash_Riprock
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Dash_Riprock's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.

Aggressive vegans are not a myth. I've met plenty of them in person.
Inferno313
Tell me about Bane!
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.

Shit. I'm all three.

They're gonna come for me.

Servbot24
[CIA SLOWLY TAKES OFF HOOD]
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Servbot24's Avatar

Originally Posted by JJMorris

How would you even know who's a modest vegan. Perception becomes reality.

I've never told anyone irl other than my mom that I'm vegan. No one cares what my diet is and I don't care about anyone else's diet. Most people are that way.
Sheroking
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:56 PM)
Sheroking's Avatar

Originally Posted by King Tubby

A few of my best friends are vegan and they aren't obnoxious about it at all. Mark it with feminism and atheism where a cartoonish extreme is taken as the typical example.

Pretty much this.
Drensch
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:57 PM)

Originally Posted by HariKari

What happens when a vegan also does crossfit?

What if they're a marine vegan crossfitter? :O
Gentleman Jack
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by kirblar

There's nothing that people w/ Celiac Disease hate more than people like this because it makes their lives so much more difficult.

Is that true in general though? I know two Celiac sufferers and they're fucking thrilled that gluten-free is a trend because it expands their options when eating out or shopping at supermarkets.

n=3 now, but I just gotta be sure about this gluten free thing before I build my veganproof suit of armor.
RDreamer
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
RDreamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dash_Riprock

Aggressive vegans are not a myth. I've met plenty of them in person.

I've met way more aggressive meat eaters toward vegans/vegetarians than I have aggressive vegans toward meat eaters. Like... way more. It's not even close of a number. Most vegetarians I know get fucking outright harassed by meat eaters. It's freaking strange.
watershed
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
watershed's Avatar
I'm sure "aggressive vegans" are the reason why people aren't changing their eating habits and not because change is hard, changing fundamental aspects of someone's life like what they eat is even harder, and meat tastes good.
Davidion
Rambunctious Rogue
yet
Regrets his Tag
(08-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
Davidion's Avatar

Originally Posted by HariKari

What happens when a vegan also does crossfit?

I remember watching this youtube channel called Vegan Gains, which is on paper a fitness channel, but the handful of videos I watched were all just this guy attacking and whining other fitness people who belittled or offended vegans in some way.

It was weird, and kinda sad.


The vegans I've met are maybe a little sensitive about food, but are generally pretty nice and not much judgmental.
Last edited by Davidion; 08-11-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Zen_Arcade
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
Zen_Arcade's Avatar

Originally Posted by Joe

The myths of the "aggressive vegans", "SJWs", and "millenials!" are linked somehow and that correlation is one of the top stories of the 2010s so far.

Aggressive vegans aren't a myth. They're just vegans who make their whole life about their causes and can't get through a situation with food without telling people that they should act like they do.
Derwind
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:59 PM)
Derwind's Avatar
Wtf is aggressive veganism? Are we talking about those activists on the side of the road holding up pictures of slaughtered animals Or that one friend/family member that is very particular about the food & cooking preparations at a cookout?

I literally never met an aggressive vegan in my life.
ApharmdX
Member
(08-11-2017, 08:59 PM)
ApharmdX's Avatar
This study doesn't surprise me. For myself, I used to argue with vegans but I realized that I don't need to defend being an omnivore. I can afford to eat meat. I enjoy eating meat. I'll continue to eat meat as long as the previous two statements apply. I have no problem if someone doesn't want to consume animal products but that's a personal choice.

Now could someone pass the lamb chops, please.

Originally Posted by Haly

I would guess the perception of asshole vegans is probably more substantial than actual asshole vegans, unless you live in one of those max hipster urban enclaves on the West coast.

It's definitely a stereotype about vegans, and it's not universal, but my god when you run across one of "those vegans" it really is obnoxious.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(08-11-2017, 08:59 PM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by kirblar

There's nothing that people w/ Celiac Disease hate more than people like this because it makes their lives so much more difficult.

I always wondered how people felt about their conditions being turned into fads.

If you don't want gluten, just say it, don't be co-opting other people's struggles.
perfectchaos007
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:00 PM)
perfectchaos007's Avatar

Originally Posted by RDreamer

I've met way more aggressive meat eaters toward vegans/vegetarians than I have aggressive vegans toward meat eaters. Like... way more. It's not even close of a number. Most vegetarians I know get fucking outright harassed by meat eaters. It's freaking strange.

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth
Soul Beat
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:00 PM)
Soul Beat's Avatar
All the vegan people I've met have been super nice and don't mind others eating meat in frint of them. I've never met an aggressive vegan.

Not discounting the possibility of them existing, lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right opportunity to violently snap at me for enjoying a delicious steak though.
Air Zombie Meat
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:00 PM)
Air Zombie Meat's Avatar
I don't buy it. If the occasional vegetarian asshole puts you off then I don't believe you were ever seriously considering it.
Akuun
Looking for meaning in GAF
(08-11-2017, 09:00 PM)
Akuun's Avatar
I've known both vegetarians who are totally cool with other people not following their practices and are very polite when they make requests for things. I've also known others who are very overbearing and in your face about it. For example, a vegetarian boss who gets in her employees' faces when she sees them eating meat, and requires that all employees bring vegetarian meals to any company potlucks.

By and large though, most vegetarians I've met come from the former camp. They just practice their lifestyle choice without pressuring others to do the same, which is fine by me. I respect their choices and they respect mine.

It's kind of the same thing as religious practices. I'm totally fine with other people's religious practices as long as they don't get aggressive to me about it. I'm much more likely to respect your faith if you're not constantly getting in my face about how I'm a horrible person for not following it.
Last edited by Akuun; 08-11-2017 at 09:03 PM.
kirblar
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:01 PM)
kirblar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gentleman Jack

Is that true in general though? I know two Celiac sufferers and they're fucking thrilled that gluten-free is a trend because it expands their options when eating out or shopping at supermarkets.

n=3 now, but I just gotta be sure about this gluten free thing before I build my veganproof suit of armor.

It's a double-edged sword. The increased awareness and product offerings are great. But having "Gluten Free" options at Dominos/Papa John's that people w/ Celiac disease can't actually eat is not.
Pinkuss
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:01 PM)
Pinkuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

I'm confused, I will eat at a place that serves meat but meat eaters eat Veg, Vegans don't eat meat for ethical reasons. What's your point? We don't own Veg, if you consider meat a food over veg what the hecks wrong with you; you're an omnivore with I assume no ethical issue with veg.
zeemumu
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:01 PM)
zeemumu's Avatar
The only thing that stops aggressive vegans is the vegan police

Inferno313
Tell me about Bane!
(08-11-2017, 09:01 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

Well, while I'm not like that, is it not easy to understand why? There's no viable moral objection to eating vegetables. That's a false equivalence.
Hollywood Duo
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:01 PM)
Hollywood Duo's Avatar

Originally Posted by JJMorris

How would you even know who's a modest vegan. Perception becomes reality.

Pretty much.
Glass Rebel
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:02 PM)
Glass Rebel's Avatar
As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?
Albino_Yeti
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:02 PM)
Albino_Yeti's Avatar

Originally Posted by zeemumu

The only thing that stops aggressive vegans is the vegan police

"It's milk and eggs, bitch."
Guevara
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:03 PM)
Guevara's Avatar
I think we could all stand to eat less meat, but not no meat.
Zakalwe
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:03 PM)
Zakalwe's Avatar
I personally know quite a few vegans having been one myself (currently attempting to again) for quite a few years in the past.

And only one of the many I met was preachy, and even then they were really nice about it.

I've met /plenty/ of people act like shits when it comes to vegansim.

I'm aware preachy shitty vegans exist, I've seen them on social media etc... but I think this is a case of a vocal minority being obnoxious and people not liking being told they're doing something bad.
Rentahamster
Rodent Whores
(08-11-2017, 09:04 PM)
Rentahamster's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

The philosophical differences between the two stances will explain why that occurs.
RDreamer
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:04 PM)
RDreamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by perfectchaos007

I have never met a meat eater that said "I won't eat at this establishment because they serve vegetables here". I have met vegans that won't go into a room or business that serves meat. Its not a myth

I've met a lot of meat eaters that won't go into vegan restaurants, refuse to eat vegan meals, etc. Seriously, during my wedding the baker advised not to label the cupcakes as vegan because it'd turn people away.

Seriously, in my corner of the states the second you say you're vegan or vegetarian you get outright harassed and shown meat and told how amazing it is over and over.

I've also never met a vegetarian/vegan that refused to go into a restaurant that serves meat. Not doubting they exist, but I've met a ton of vegetarians/vegans in my life. Married one, even, and just haven't met someone like that. They go out to the same restaurants as others but order some shit that doesn't have meat.
Raven117
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:04 PM)
Raven117's Avatar
I enjoy the lecture from Vegans. It makes tearing into raw meat all the more satisfying.
Plum
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:04 PM)
Plum's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?

Yep. If you feel threatened by vegans then I have to wonder why you can't just own the fact that you eat meat. I eat a lot of meat and I love doing so, it's tasty as fuck; I don't feel the need to assert any form of "dominance" over the vegan/veggie menace like some others do.

"How can you find a vegan in a darkened room? Don't worry, they'll be the only one not telling this joke."
mlclmtckr
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
mlclmtckr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?

first of all how dare u
Fuchsdh
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
Fuchsdh's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

I would guess the perception of asshole vegans is probably more substantial than actual asshole vegans, unless you live in one of those max hipster urban enclaves on the West coast.

I think it's simply a fact that the more militant someone is, the more likely you're going to know they are ___.

It's why militant atheists and vegans are a stereotype. People remember their friend who just won't shut up or refuses to be in the same room as meat more than the people who are quiet about it and don't impose upon others. It's perception.
Aikidoka
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
Aikidoka's Avatar
I've wondered if it would be more efficient if the movement focused on having one meat-free day a week rather than the extreme of none at all.
DontBeThatGuy
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
DontBeThatGuy's Avatar
Hey, that's a really stupid reason to not be doing something.
DiipuSurotu
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
DiipuSurotu's Avatar
IMO aggressive vegans are not so much people like this GAFer's cousin's wife:

Originally Posted by The Jackdog

my cousins wife cannot be in the same house if theres food that isnt 100% vegan being eaten or cooked. she will leave and sit outside during meals.

but more like people like this:









But I live in Europe where demonstrations and these kinds of public "happenings" are more common than in the US, I think.
Inferno313
Tell me about Bane!
(08-11-2017, 09:05 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raven117

I enjoy the lecture from Vegans. It makes tearing into raw meat all the more satisfying.

You know the vast majority of us have eaten meat at one point in time, yeah? We're not so sensitive that the mere sight of meat consumption causes us to panic...
jipewithin
Junior Member
(08-11-2017, 09:06 PM)
jipewithin's Avatar

Originally Posted by JustenP88

I've never met an aggressive vegan but a lot of people on the internet talk about them so they must be real and annoying.

Same here, I know lots of people who are vegan or vegetarian but none are annoying or aggressive. Kind of weird people on the internet always bump in to those who start to preach about in imminently.
Pinkuss
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:06 PM)
Pinkuss's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glass Rebel

As someone who loves chicken I can't help but laugh at the insecurity meateaters put on display when it comes to vegans. How do you feel threatened by someone who can't even build muscle?

Whah; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrik_Baboumian, loads of MMA fighters, David Haye, loads of athletes, All Vegan. Ignorance is an odd thing. As is the aggression from meat eaters.
Carl2291
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:07 PM)
Carl2291's Avatar
We don't like cocky dickheads telling us how to live our lives. Not really news and certainly not limited to vegans.

Thread Tools