• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei HD news coming on October 23

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe they are focusing the project as a PS4 game with the Switch version as a later port? Even if it was first announced on a Nintendo system
Doesn't make much sense (has that even ever happened?). Why would you not announce the lead platform for months but the secondary one that going to be released after.

It's far, far more likely the ps4 would be the late port in that situation.

I mean maybe it's called SMT HD because it's the first mainline HD SMT project.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me it's 50/50. There is big possibility that it's Nintendo exclusive just like recent SMT games but also the fact they calling HD project instead of Switch project that there is possibility it might also come out on PS4. Personally the only reason I want this come out PS4 is to avoid buying another console. I'm already having hard time keeping with all the games coming out on PS4, I don't want add another one on the list.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The game so far has only been announced for Switch. Switch is a success worldwide and in Japan.

I still think the likelihood of it being on another system(PC/PS4) is rather high - unless Nintendo wants it as an (timed)exclusive. Especially if there are also plans to bring Persona to Switch at some point, it would be weird to play favorites right now.

Def. can see it launching first on Switch and maybe get a PC/PS4 release down the line.

Zedark

The main reason there's speculation is due to them referring to it as a HD Project rather than a Switch Project. They specifically referred to SMT Deep Strange Journey as a 3DS Project.
It's valid speculation, but about the 3ds game: how else would they indicate it, assuming that they wanted to label it? An SD game? That not very catchy.

I think it can go either way: it could be PS4/Switch or just Switch. I lean towards the former just because it featured on the Nintendo stage, and I would have expected a Playstation push if the series were coming to Playstation for the first time.

Mediking

I own a PS4 and Switch but lemme tell ya... really happy this is coming to Switch. Playing huge RPGs on console takes so much time. I can play so much more on Switch. Its a miracle I even beat Persona 5 when I did. Lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The PS4 version is sure thing. The question is when same time or later port.

Nothing is sure unless its announced.
Especially when it comes to JP publishers and their relations with first parties.

Eolz

To be fair, if Atlus doesn't want Persona on PC, they won't even think about porting SMT :p

Now PS4 is a big possibility with a single screen, this engine... But as you say it'd be later on at best. I don't believe it personally but there's better arguments than those past two gens at least.

silva1991

Nothing is sure unless its announced.
Especially when it comes to JP publishers and their relations with first parties.

I just don't see why after the huge success of Persona 5 on PS4 they wouldn't release the next SMT the system.

But then again they never released P3/4 on the 3DS, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised with their decisions...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I just don't see why after the huge success of Persona 5 on PS4 they wouldn't release the next SMT the system.

But then again they never released P3/4 on the 3DS, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised with their decisions...
You''ll get SMT Q and like it!

Didnt Strange Journey and IV have a mature rating?

The trailer shows pegi12 so can we expect a more "friendly" world in the game? I really liked the dark theme in Strange Journey and IV. Or is the rating just for the trailer?

Anyway, cant wait for this title.

z0m3le

Banned
Didnt Strange Journey and IV have a mature rating?

The trailer shows pegi12 so can we expect a more "friendly" world in the game? I really liked the dark theme in Strange Journey and IV. Or is the rating just for the trailer?

Anyway, cant wait for this title.

it's only for the trailer, a rating for the game would require a near release build.

Laplasakos

Watch them them copy Bandai Namco and don't talk about platforms at all.

99% it's a Switch exclusive. Just my opinion.

Switch is a HD console and this game is called SMT HD. I don’t care if it’s announce for multiple consoles or not I just don’t want to see a freak out towards Atlus if a PS4 version isn’t announced.

Just in case I own a PS4 and Switch and if this game is announced for both I would only buy a Switch version because gaming in front of a TV is last gen.

I’m also very excited for the 23rd news.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting that there's going to be a separate YouTube live stream alongside the concert Niconico one. They definitely want it to have the widest reach possible.

marmoka

Banned
HD Project --> "Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity"

Now that every good person in the world has played the prologue, time to release the Kraken.

latest

(Megaten Kraken)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Watch them them copy Bandai Namco and don't talk about platforms at all.

99% it's a Switch exclusive. Just my opinion.
I mean they wouldn't need to since a platform is already announced. So it's impossible for them to pull a Namco.

Chances are it's likely exclusive though in that chase so us persona most likely.

Laplasakos

I mean they wouldn't need to since a platform is already announced. So it's impossible for them to pull a Namco.

Chances are it's likely exclusive though in that chase so us persona most likely.

You never know. Last time they talked about the game, where they showed the same teaser with 3 new seconds of footage, they didn't mentioned Switch at all. Neither the trailer had any Switch logo in the end.

But as i said, 99% chance is a Switch exclusive.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I don't care what system it's on, I just want another SMT game. Can't wait to see whatever it is they show on Monday.

The platform is of no concern to me. I just want a game to surpass Nocturne. Please be great.

Lmao

I try

Super Gameboy is the future.

Man, imagine the hype if the Switch successor has the Gameboy moniker as it’s name.

This.

You are right. We have VR now.

Shame I’m always on the go and VR isn’t my cup of tea right now. I’ll give it a few more gen to let the technology advance before I jump in.

So we have a game where the ONLY things we know are that it's in HAD send coming to the Switch, yet we have a thread of people trying to downplay the system, trying to guess what else it's coming out for, and reading way too much into it's vague "title". Unbelievable lol

Black_Red

I hope they release this, Pokemon and fire emblem in 2018. That would make it a instant great year for JRPGs (but I'm not confident on Pokemon releasing on 2018 :( )

Also, Since the game has only been announced for switch, isn't most of this thread just port begging?

Laplasakos

Shame I’m always on the go and VR isn’t my cup of tea right now. I’ll give it a few more gen to let the technology advance before I jump in.

Erhm, i wasn't talking seriously. Just thought to say something that made as much sense as what you said (playing in front of a TV is last gen) :p

VR is great though. As is portable gaming.

This will be the most expensive SMT game ever made. Unless Nintendo is footing the bill, I have a hard time seeing Atlus ignoring a what, a console with like 70 million(?) owners that also hosts their best selling game while using a multiplat engine that would make cross platform a breeze.

Eolz

I'll eat my hat if it isn't PS4/Switch on release.

Hope you have a tasty one.

Also, Since the game has only been announced for switch, isn't most of this thread just port begging?

Basically yes. But it's only since the last mage or so, not most of the thread.

This will be the most expensive SMT game ever made. Unless Nintendo is footing the bill, I have a hard time seeing Atlus ignoring a what, a console with like 70 million(?) owners that also hosts their best selling game while using a multiplat engine that would make cross platform a breeze.

We'll see soon enough I guess. Seen this argument too often in the past for all kind of games that ended up exclusives anyway.
You can't predict Atlus platform choices, but can still see where it'll be if they follow their past choices.
Can we calm down about that until monday's events? Easy to wait some days and see who was right.

saturnine

The platform is of no concern to me. I just want a game to surpass Nocturne. Please be great.

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up. At best it will surpass Nocturne on the interface/gameplay front, but I have a really hard time seeing modern Atlus reach their old heights thematically/narratively.

Vamphuntr

Pretty sure that era is over unfortunately. I don't think we will ever see another Nocturne especially dungeon wise. IV and IV Final were already a huge step down and it wasn't improved from IV to Final.

Still super excited for this.

Hylian7

I wouldn't count on it. Don't get me wrong, Atlus still makes great SMT games these days, but they definitely don't compare to that (I hate this term) "golden" era of SMT games.

Now they could always prove me wrong here and have something to that theory of the flower petals + Kaneko demons = Kaneko is back, + still some Doi demons like Odin. It's a super longshot though as Kaneko has made it pretty clear he wants younger talent to do artwork. In SMTIV (and by extension, Apocalypse) he did some of the environment designs.

Has anyone called dibs on making a thread for this event yet?

Hylian7

Wouldn't this be called SMT V already if it was? Makes me a bit nervous.

Atlus is weird sometimes and doesn't want to say the full title right off the bat. I would guess this is mainline SMT.

If it's not SMTV, it's probably a "mainline-ish" game like Strange Journey was, where it's effectively mainline in everything but number.

HenryEen

Banned
You probably shouldn't get your hopes up. At best it will surpass Nocturne on the interface/gameplay front, but I have a really hard time seeing modern Atlus reach their old heights thematically/narratively.

I just hope the new game didn't follow SMTIVA anime narrative trying to chase Persona money...

As much as I love Apocalypse gameplay, it's kinda sad seeing a mainline in a series known to deconstruct and subvert anime tropes played tons of cliched anime tropes straight (childhood love interest, mysterious yandere rival girl, mascot comic relief, tsundere, power of friendship, etc etc...)

Hylian7

I just hope the new game didn't follow SMTIV/A anime narrative trying to chase Persona money...

As much as I love Apocalypse gameplay, it's kinda sad seeing a mainline in a series known to deconstruct and subvert anime tropes played tons of cliched anime tropes straight (childhood love interest, mysterious yandere rival girl, mascot comic relief, tsundere, power of friendship, etc etc...)

I didn't really feel like IV was anime like Apocalypse was. The only thing you could argue is Isabeau admitting she has feelings for the protagonist in the neutral ending, and even than that's mentioned like, once and then never heard from again. IMO, IV's story is underrated. I like that Apocalypse expanded on that world, but yeah some of the characters....yikes.

Top Bottom