• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2's single player campaign will last 5-7 hours.

Raide

Hopefully it's a good few hours. The bulk of my time will be in MP anyway but having a solid SP mode to run through is nice.

EDarkness

Sure. People can do what they want. It just bothers me how people don't value the craft that goes into short well realized bloat free single player experiences. If you want to actually play a game why not buy it at a reasonable price that means the existence of other games like it will be sustainable.

its possible i'm still a bit sore about EA closing Visceral most likely due to financial reasons :(

I don't think 6 hours is worth $60, though...if all you want is the single player. I get that multiplayer will add value if you're going to be playing that, but $60 seems to be a lot of money for that short amount of time.

5-7 hours of linear, quality story campaign is in my opinion way better than 20-40 hours of open world with repetitive gameplay, boring side quests, and lots of traveling. Titanfall 2, as mentioned is a good example of that.
Unfortunately DICE made its last good campaign 8 years ago. (10 according to some)
Honestly I don't expect much.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Let's not forget this is a multiplayer game first and foremost so that length is fine in my book.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The length says almost nothing to me. Sure, if it was 2-3 hours it would have been a warning. I care more about the campaign previews from yesterday which I found to be solid. So I'm in.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
MOTIVE IS MAKING THE SP CAMPAIGN NOT DICE.

Keep this in mind, thanks.

This should be in every BF2 OP. This is Motive's first game, they at least deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I hate this mindset. If you want single player games to exist you actually have to buy them at reasonable prices. Besides does no one replay games? Play it through 3 times and thats a 15-20 hour game.

This doesn't apply for this particular game. Battlefront 2 is being marketed as a multiplayer game first. Buying it at full price does not send any kind of "I want a great campaign" signal.

With all the pay-to-win mechanics in the MP, the mode is not worth playing which makes half of the game useless to me.

SeppOCE

If it reinvigorates Single Player shooting the way Titanfall 2 did then I don't see an issue with this. I spent 60 dollars on Titanfall 2 and although I get a little buyers remorse from it just experiencing that SP campaign for the first time was magical and makes me feel good about my purchase. I don't see how DICE could possibly match it but who knows maybe they will.

Perfect length. I like it when sp campaigns are short as I don't have a lot of time to play games. Also I was only picking it up for mp to begin with, wish they had a Galactic conquest sp or mp mode like battlefront 2.

royox

I wouldn"t even touch the campaigb if it wasn't stated that it will be canon. I'm in for the MP only.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I'll pick it up after it drops in price a bit. I was going to pre-order it but the physical edition sold out. I'm swamped with games through November anyway. Looking forward to the campaign though. I read the novel already.

I care more about the quality, not the length. Never understood this obsession with game lengths.

Looking forward to the first youtuber rushing this on easy, skipping all cutscenes to "prove" how short this game is, lol.

Eggbok

That lenght is fine. But i'm still amazed at the people constantly demanding single player modes from DICE of all things

monkey_paw.png

But Dice isn't making the single player. I think the length is fine though, not every game needs to be 10+ hours just because. It would be awesome if it was but im not mad that it isnt.

Orb

I hate this mindset. If you want single player games to exist you actually have to buy them at reasonable prices. Besides does no one replay games? Play it through 3 times and thats a 15-20 hour game.
I only replay good games, and mostly only if there's divergence in play through. Replaying a short, strict game is bottom of the barrel boredom.

We don't know if it'll be good, and chances of story changing are zilch.

Also lol? If I want single player games I gotta buy this pay to win multiplayer game? What? Buying this wouldn't support single player, just the opposite.

Plasmid

Sounds like a slapped together short campaign to appease people.

Really hope the MP is good enough to warrant $60 but this doesn't really bode well for the game.

Nev

Banned
So, 4 hours.

Who cares though. People ITT acting like this is a dealbreaker just want to jump on the EA hate bandwagon.

I dislike EA too but this is a non-issue. BF2 had bots for a campaign because oh, shocking, it was a multiplayer focused title, just like this one.

Bydobob

we wanted to stay very driven towards the Star Wars fantasy that the players are going to experience and not have it be drawn out

Not much confidence in the campaign holding players’ attention for long then. Reassuring.

Seriously, why not just fess up that you’d rather prioritise multiplayer than come up with silly reasoning like this? I expect Mario Odyssey will feel like a drawn out chore going by this logic.

Z3M0G

Im perfectly OK with 4 hour campaign on a meaty multiplayer game.

Heck even the amazing TF2 campaign was feeling a bit too long near the end.

I prob wont be getting this game, at least at launch but that length sounds good to me.

I think the problem is that a lot of people of my generation grew up with games being their main hobby. So when they have free time they play a game. With this mindset a6-7 hour long game doesn't feel like good value at full price because you would finish it so quickly.

However I have FINALLY started to get out of this mindset. I dont play that many games any more. I basically just play a few hours of a multiplayer game a week (basically SFV) and also do things like watch tv and read in my spare time. Now when a short single player game comes out that is interesting to me I am glad its shorter because I know I can have fun with it over the course of a week and then go back to the other stuff I like.

But 1 year ago I would have felt thats far to short to be worth the money. Length of game = value for money is kind of a bad way to look at it. But I get why people do.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Heh, yeah, but his talking about a new KOTOR game... a strictly single player game, just like the first two. As for SWTOR.... it's an MMO, so you kinda expect these things from this kind of games + subscription model.

Anyway, i don't think we'll see any strictly single player SW game as long as EA has the exclusive rights to develop SW games for the next 10 years. But even if we do see some of them, they're sure as hell will be plagued with MTs and lootboxes, cuz apparently single player games is a waste of time and money now for majority of publishers... um, well, not for majority, more like for EA, Ubisoft, 2K and so on, and if it's a single player game then it sure must have MTs and lootboxes cuz otherwise it won't sell well and they can't keep making money any other way from a dead corpse.

Ugh, what a shitty times we live in now.

R aka Bon

That is fine by me, titanfall 2 was perfectly paced and I loved it. I'm not one of those that's gonna complain, unless the game only had singleplayer, which is not the case.

Snoopycat

Banned
I'll buy the GOTY version when it's on sale for £10. People buying this at full price on release are sending a clear message to EA that it's ok for them to continue releasing games full of p2w lootboxes.

It needs to be 10 to 15.
Why?

Plenty of singleplayer games are too long for their own good. If you have a six hour campaign that has fantastic levels and a fantastic story is that really worse than a 12 hour game with okay levels and an okay story?

This obsession with length some people have is baffling. I could almost think it's compensating for something.

Top Bottom