• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want an F-Zero GX DX on the Switch?

I'd be for absolutely any F-Zero content. So this would make me very happy.

This wasn't in the retail release (I truly don't remember)? I do remember re-watching the trailer for the game over and over again that featured this track on the Zelda OOT disc because it's such a great piece.

There is a variant of it in the game which plays in the Story Mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1fRQMTn5KA.

But yeah that track was featured in the trailer that was put into the Zelda OOT Bonus Disk. This trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD-fIAy2qxM features tracks and cutscenes that either didn't make it into the final game or were changed.

The Dink

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't let Shin'en Multimedia try their hand at an F-Zero game. They're pretty much first party by this point with their Fast Racing series. And the similarities are hard to ignore.

I can't see them rehashing GX. I feel like we'll have an original F Zero on Switch in a few years.

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't let Shin'en Multimedia try their hand at an F-Zero game. They're pretty much first party by this point with their Fast Racing series. And the similarities are hard to ignore.
Shin'en are 5 guys.

Renna Hazel

No thanks, I'll take a new F-zero title. Knowing Nintendo, this would be a full priced game and it's really not worth buying a game I already have for a few new tracks.

Madao

a remaster of this game would be an easy one. they'd just need to bump it to 1080p and rebalance the ships. the game's graphics scale well enough that they'd look pretty nice as is.
biggest hurdle would be the analog triggers. the game really needs those to play properly.

one way to get around that is remastering F-Zero X with Expansion Kit content instead. that game was made for digital triggers so nothing gets lost moving it to Switch. problem is that this one would need a massive remaster job to bring the graphics up to current standards (it needs a total graphical makeover like the N64 Zelda games)
the game has content that has never been released outside japan such as additional cups and the track editor so it'd be like a brand new game and they could even add more tracks on top of that.
another advantage is that they don't need to ask Sega for anything to do this one. i suspect GX will be a copyright minefield for them to re-release.

I'd be for absolutely any F-Zero content. So this would make me very happy.

This wasn't in the retail release (I truly don't remember)? I do remember re-watching the trailer for the game over and over again that featured this track on the Zelda OOT disc because it's such a great piece.

this song is in chapter 4 of story mode.

someone asked Shin'en in an interview if they'd tackle an F-Zero game and they said they'd rather do their own games instead of using someone else's IP.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
giphy.gif

Gators300

Banned
Got Metroid Prime 4. Looks like it is just F-Zero fans left out in the cold. Count me in for an X/GX remake or a new game!

The Dink

someone asked Shin'en in an interview if they'd tackle an F-Zero game and they said they'd rather do their own games instead of using someone else's IP.

I hadn't heard that but it makes sense. Can't blame them for feeling that way too. Good to have creative freedom with a team like that.

Daouzin

The only thing I've wanted from Nintendo is a Gamecube VC release of Melee and F-Zero GX. It's soul crushing how they just haven't done it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I love F-Zero GX and all, but I want a new game. A new game that does a fleshed out version of the death race from F-Zero X on N64. So much fun.

ec0ec0

There's the common misconception, with some gamecube games, that they simply differenciated between analog and digital press, when, in reality, they used the full analog range.

(3 examples: melee, f-zero gx, sunshine)

Melee

Melee used the full analog range for its shield. By pressing the trigger (R or L) as slighty as possible, you would get the light shield (big and with a light color). By pressing the trigger (R or L) all the way down, you would get the regular shield (small and with a strong color).

So, starting from a light shield, as you holded the trigger further down little by little, your shield would keep getting smaller and smaller (you can see this as it happens), and going from a ligher to a stronger color, until it reached its minimum size (regular shield).

The other way around, starting from a regular shield, as you released the trigger little by little, your shield would keep getting bigger and bigger (again, you can see this as it happens), and going from a stronger to a lighter color, until it reached its maximum size (light shield).

F-Zero GX

F-Zero GX also used the full analog range (same as melee), but not just for a particular mechanic (like melee's shield), the whole game was build around it.

Each time you pressed one of the triggers in GX (and you were constantly doing so), it had an effect on the ship, how much, depended on how further down you were pressing the trigger/s.

You can easily test this by putting your ship on the center of the track, and holding both triggers to the same degree. One trigger shoud cancel the other, so your ship will remain in place. However, if you press one of the triggers even a bit further down that the other, your ship will move into that direction instead.

Super mario sunshine

The gamecube triggers were analog, yet they could be "clicked", like a button, if you pressed them all the way down.

Even though some games, like sunshine, did asign a function to the "click", it's main function was to give feedback to the player. In both melee and GX, clicking the trigger (digital input) and holding it down but stopping right before it clicked (max analog input), would give you the same value. So, max analog input = digital input.

In sunshine, the difference betweeen a digital and an analog press, was that, with an analog press, you were free to move mario with the analog stick, while spraying water at the same time, while, with a digital press, mario would stand still, and you would control were you aimed the spray of water with the analog stick.

The amount of time you were able to spray water, without losing pressure (therefore having to release and press the trigger for water to start coming out again), dependend on how further down you were holding the trigger.

Water lasted for around 5 seconds for both a digital press and a max analog press. For an analog press, the less further down you were holding the trigger, the less time water would last. If you were just barely pressing the trigger, only little drops would come out of fludd (there wouldn't be enough pressure for water to come out).

Conclusions

Without analog triggers, we would have the triggers as a digital input only (as if, each time you pressed one trigger in the original melee, GX or sunshine, you could only press it all the way down!!). All the sensibility of the analog triggers would be lost.

Nanashrew

Banned
For the god of love, how many times are you people going to ask for gamecube games that can't be done on the switch, as it lacks analog triggers!?

yet again...

If a game simply differenciated between analog and digital press, you could replicate that, without analog triggers, by adding a new funtion to another button. Still, this is unlikely, as you would be asking nintendo to make changes to a gamecube game.

However, if the game used the full range of the analog triggers (which is absolutely the case for F-Zero GX), there's no way around that, without actual analog triggers!!

The best example (that i can come up with) to explain how using the full analog range works in-game, is super smash bros melee:

Melee used the full range of the analog triggers for the shield. By pressing the trigger as slighty as possible, you would get the light shield (big and with a light color). By pressing the trigger all the way down, you would get the regular shield (small and with a strong color). So, starting from a light shield, as you holded the trigger further down, little by little, your shield kept getting smaller, and it went from a ligher to a stronger color, until it reached its minimum size (regular shield).

Like you can see, in the case mentioned above, there's many possible values for the shield, not just a digital and an analog value.

Melee uses the full range of the analog triggers, but it does so just for the shield, something that that goes unnoticed for the most part. GX does that, but not just for a particular mechanic, the whole game is build around it. Each time you press one of the triggers, it has an effect on the ship, how much depends on how furder down you're pressing the trigger/s.

L slide left
R slide right
ZL + right analog stick drift left or right

ZR (the original Z button) + rotating right analog stick = spin attack

It's not like F-Zero is that complex with its use of shoulder buttons that remapping them ever so slightly would be bad.

Bonus: The Gamecube adapter becomes fully functional on Switch so you can still play it the traditional way.

EDIT: Or just keep the L+R to drift. Whatever works

ec0ec0

L slide left
R slide right

So you just completely ignored everything that i took the time to carefully explain!?

all the sensibility of the analog triggers is lost with your configuration. You now have the triggers as a digital input only (as if, each time you pressed one in the original GX, you could only press it all the way down).

Do you seriously think that that wouldn't affect the game? or that there's never a reason to NOT want to press the trigger all the way down?

edit: what do you think that would happen to melee's shield, if they simply ported melee to the switch? (i updated that paragraph in my original post, so it's a bit more clear now that the one you quoted, if you want to rerread it)

answer: you would only have a digital input, so you would only have access to the regular shield with your regular trigger. You would still be able to access the ligh shield by holding the grab button "z" (as that's another way of using it), but you wouldn't have access to any of the values in between the two types of shield, as you wouldn't have analog triggers anymore.

Light Hobo

Neo Member
I would prefer a new game, but if it was port to drum up interest - I'd still buy it. Give us the course creator from the 64 DD to have a nice Track Mania/Mario Maker thing going on too please

RIP Amusement Vision :(

Madao

L slide left
R slide right

It's not like F-Zero is that complex with its use of shoulder buttons that remapping them ever so slightly would be bad.

Bonus: The Gamecube adapter becomes fully functional on Switch so you can still play it the traditional way.

the lack of analog triggers is the equivalent of missing the analog stick to steer the game.

Nanashrew

Banned
So you just completely ignored everything that i took the time to carefully explain!?

all the sensibility of the analog triggers is lost with your configuration. You now have the triggers as a digital input only (as if, each time you pressed one in the original GX, you could only press it all the way down).

Do you seriously think that that wouldn't affect the game?

I mean, we've also lost hexagonal gates which also helped greatly for F-Zero as well. And yes, I'm going to ignore what you wrote cause I'm tired of reading excuses why GC games can't get a nice HD remaster when other ways could be found with controls, and heck optional controllers like the GC adapter they're still producing, and likely will be important to Virtual Console.

Then let's move on over to F-Zero X instead then, and get that one remastered with online play and stuff.

EDIT: Also ya'll don't act like F-Zero GX isn't my favorite racing game of all time btw. I talk about it a lot in every futuristic racing game thread.

Double EDIT: We're also talking F-Zero here, not Melee. Melee is never getting a remaster.

ec0ec0

Then let's move on over to F-Zero X instead then, and get that one remastered with online play and stuff.

why would we move to F-Zero X, if the thread is about GX?

We're also talking F-Zero here, not Melee. Melee is never getting a remaster

if you read my post (i can't know if you did, becuase of the "i'm going to ignore what you wrote..."), you saw that i brought up melee, because it's, by far, the best example to explain analog trigger in-game (becuase you can visually see your shield get smaller as your press the trigger further down). It was a good explanation.

I mean, we've also lost hexagonal gates which also helped greatly for F-Zero as well.
lol like if this is at all comparable with the loss of analog triggers in a racing game designed around them

I'm tired of reading excuses why GC games can't get a nice HD remaster when other ways could be found with controls

excuses? what other ways!? because what you proposed sure as hell is not an option, as we explained. A game that didn't play like the original wouldn't be "a nice HD remaster"

optional controllers like the GC adapter they're still producing, and likely will be important to Virtual Console.

Selling vc related joycons (seems more practical than the GC adapter), as something optional, would make sense. By optional i mean that, for example, a gamecube-like joycon would have the button configuration, an buttons shape, of a gamecube controller, but the regular joycons would have to have all the same funtionality as the "optional" joycons. However, that's not the case, as the regular joycons don't have analog triggers, and the gamecube controller does.

I don't think that nintendo is going to sell games that can only be played in their original, intended form, by buing extra hardware (in this case, gamecube vc/remasters that require you to buy a pair of joycons with actual analog triggers).

Also ya'll don't act like F-Zero GX isn't my favorite racing game of all time btw. I talk about it a lot in every futuristic racing game thread.

yet you're perfectly ok with nintendo releasing a version of GX without analog triggers!? doesn't compute.

Nanashrew

Banned
why would we move to F-Zero X, if the thread is about GX?

if you read my post, you saw that i brought up melee, because it's, by far, the best example to explain analog trigger in-game (becuase you can visually see your shield get smaller as your press the trigger further down). It was a good explanation.

lol like if this was at all comparable with the loss of analog triggers

what other ways? because what you proposed sure as hell is not an option, as we explained. A game that didn't play like the original wouldn't be "a nice HD remaster"

Selling vc related joycons (seems more practical than the GC adapter), as something optional, would make sense. By optional i mean that, for example, a gamecube-like joycon would have the button configuration, an buttons shape, of a gamecube controller, but the regular joycons would have to have all the same funtionality as the "optional" joycons. However, that's not the case, as the regular joycons don't have analog triggers, and the gamecube controller does.

I don't think that nintendo is going to sell games that can only be played by buing extra hardware (in this case, gamecube vc/remasters that require you to buy a pair of joycons with actual analog triggers).

yet you're perfectly ok with nintendo releasing a version of GX without analog triggers!? doesn't compute.

Yes, I'm perfectly okay with it. And I beat very hard mode of story mode and unlocked everything the game has to offer. I'm a veteran player who loves the game. I'd be willing play it and try it out and see what Nintendo comes up. I don't have the answers for controls and button mapping etc. And who knows if we get analog trigger Joy-cons, I could see a Pro Controller+ happen first since there's more room for the components.

ec0ec0

Yes, I'm perfectly okay with it. And I beat very hard mode of story mode and unlocked everything the game has to offer. I'm a veteran player who loves the game. I'd be willing play it and try it out and see what Nintendo comes up. I don't have the answers for controls and button mapping etc. And who knows if we get analog trigger Joy-cons, I could see a Pro Controller+ happen first since there's more room for the components.

i'm aware that we would still be able to beat the game with digital inputs, but i don't see the point. The gamecube version would play significantly better, even at low levels of play (and for people who play at AGDQ and such, the switch version would be unplayable).

Nanashrew

Banned
i'm aware that we would still be able to beat the game with digital inputs, but i don't see the point. The gamecube version would play significantly better, even at low levels of play (and for people who play at AGDQ and such, the switch version would be unplayable).

It's probably because I and others in this thread are desperate to see anything F-Zero at all. No one has seen anything F-Zero for 2 generations that, for someone like myself, would even be okay with some kind of weird spinoff game if it meant something F-Zero related.

It's probably because I and others in this thread are desperate to see anything F-Zero at all. No one has seen anything F-Zero for 2 generations that, for someone like myself, would even be okay with some kind of weird spinoff game if it meant something F-Zero related.

Not completely. They liked it enough to put it in Nintendo Land. Still, that's obviously little comfort to anyone.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I want every game on switch. I don't get these threads. I can't think of one game that I wouldn't want the added gift of portability for. Give me everything!

Top Bottom