• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Sorry, kinda changed my post around a little :p

I'm pretty sure I edit every post I make at least a dozen times, my response included, lol.

(seriously though, I'm awful with doing that, I'm the George Lucas of forum posters)

giphy.gif

We need a better quality GIF for this.

I'm pretty sure I edit every post I make at least a dozen times, my response included, lol.

(seriously though, I'm awful with doing that, I'm the George Lucas of forum posters)

I hate when you post something real fast, re-read it and think about how others will respond or how much you want them to respond lol

All in good fun tho.

^^yeah that was the best I could find, I found one that was decent but for some reason it cuts before reaching Hammond, which is like... the entire point

*right click save as*

Regarding earlier about hoping there's no "nonsense" like the "tamed" raptors, I don't think we'll be seeing something like the raptor posse again, but I wouldn't expect them to ditch any of these new ideas. There'll be stuff along those lines and possibly new hybrids even.

People are always complaining about movies not taking risks, and Jurassic World whether you liked them or not certainly took a fair few. I liked that and hope they don't hold back.

I don't actually dislike the idea of tamed raptors per se, but I did dislike a lot of stuff around it in JW (thankfully it never hit full on dino-mercs like those awful earlier versions though).

The bigger issue I have, which is related though somewhat tangential, is that raptor intelligence has been completely out hand ever since Jurassic Park III ("smarter than dolphins" and "they set a trap"). It crossed the line from Jurassic Park's scary to straight "oh come on" territory for me.

Fair enough. I like it, and mostly don't have a problem because they're not real, full-blooded animals but manufactured products. If the movie was about time travel and they went back and ran into feathered raptors and tried taming them, and did, I would be like okay maybe not, but I can run with the internal logic here.

I thought it had ample set up, instead of Silver and Jaffa's original script where the raptors were following orders early into the story; here I liked that they were still very much a loose cannon and Owen finally making the move to remove the headset without it attacking them. I mean they were still chasing and killing people at the end of the movie, but Blue saw Owen's approach and removal of the headset as a gesture that he wasn't one of the "bad guys."

That was a cool, interesting thing for me and I do think it could have been handled so much worse. It's running with what Grant says about the raptors in 3, like you said, that they were smarter than dolphins/primates, whatever and could have become the dominant species. If they're truly that smart in these movies, I can see how the things that transpired with them did.

If the script just like ran into the raptors being all tame and following direct orders and not attacking anyone, that would have been different.

If we can have tamed Tigers, Bears, Hawks, Eagles and Wolves, why not Raptors?

Or are we considering them to be more like bloodthirsty gators and sharks or something?

I think it's just, those are "real world" things and not Jurassic Park movie dinosaurs, which we're used to seeing as bloodthirsty carnivores on-screen, but I still think that's a valid point. It's not like... say, a shark, which I don't think could possibly work considering their known level of intellect.

But where the movies are continually about (except TLW) how intelligent the raptors are, I don't see why presumably around a decade of Owen working with the same four, building their social skills, and them being supposedly that smart is out of bounds. And they still chased and killed people; they were by no means tamed or not dangerous.

I think at the end Blue had an understanding and Owen had an understanding of them, and his approach to Blue was respectful. I think she simply acknowledged that and realized that there's much bigger fish to fry, and who knows, without the Indominus in the picture and Owen not performing that gesture of removing the headset and so on, she'd have probably torn them all to shreds.

The tension and build is from the fact that Owen finally achieved that level of trust and respect, which saved him, Claire and the kids, and why the squad goes after the Indominus on Owen's command. By that point they pretty much were his "dogs" but with so many other factors worked in at the same time.

I just don't get it when people watch the movie and complain about how they were tamed, it's like, no, they weren't, and the logic for what happened was clearly there.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I don't actually dislike the idea of tamed raptors per se, but I did dislike a lot of stuff around it in JW (thankfully it never hit full on dino-mercs like those awful earlier versions though).

The bigger issue I have, which is related though somewhat tangential, is that raptor intelligence has been completely out hand ever since Jurassic Park III ("smarter than dolphins" and "they set a trap"). It crossed the line from Jurassic Park's scary to straight "oh come on" territory for me.

I agree with this. The raptors were the unrelenting villains of JP, and they progressively got tamer, with the filmmakers unable to find an adequate substitute for the bad guy dino.

But I quite liked Owen's relationship with them in World, it was just the rest of their implementation that wasn't so hot.

Jurassic World Survivor better fucking be at e3.

On another note, while the wrap party logo is surely just temporary, someone on Reddit made an image of it.

What's interesting is how the wrap party arm bands even had a 'full logo' variant.

We need the real title ASAP.

looks like there is a trailer coming soon

I doubt I'll get anything but "No comment", but I have emailed Universal for a corroboration on her statement.

If it really is coming soon, I wonder if they will bundle it with The Mummy on June 9th? Universal has big plans for their 'Dark Universe' and it may be a way to generate some buzz and get more people in theaters for the film.

What if "Wrap Party" IS the subtitle???

Think about it...

"Wraptors (woke raptors) have formed a party and align with animal rights activists to combat the ingen pmc.

I didn't really expect a teaser this soon, I thought it were possible but they're still shooting.

It's time we get the title and logo though, yeah.

We've got the first details on the Mattel Jurassic World toys! (No spoilers, don't worry)

tl;dr -

Kicking things off with a classic collection based on JURASSIC PARK late this year or early next

The core skus are as follow:

• 3 3/4″ HUMAN ACTION FIGURES ($10)
  • BASIC DINOSAUR FIGURES ($10)
  • ROARIVORES (ELECTRONIC DINOSAUR FIGURES) ($15)
  • SUPER STRIKE DINOS (DELUXE DINOSAUR FIGURES) ($20)
  • LARGE DINOSAUR FIGURES (PRICES VARY)
  • VEHICLES (PRICES VARY)
  • MATCHBOX (PRICES VARY)
  • GAMES (PRICES VARY)
  • VARIOUS ‘SMART’/ELECTRONIC TOYS (PRICES VARY)

But that's only a snapshot of what's to come - there's a lot more. Hit the link for more detailed descriptions of the toys (someone can post here if they want, I just have to run)

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah, sounds like Mattel will put actual care into the brand unlike hasbro.

I'm definitely curious. Did not like the Hasbros. Would be nice to get adult collectible versions, higher than action figures, but lower than those scaled replicas.

I know it's probably sacrilegious, but I've never been a fan of JP toys, even when I was little. I had a couple I liked (mostly Lost World stuff), but that was it. Hopefully some ones I like crop up this time around, as I have woeful lack of Jurassic goods.

Also, I really hope we get more/better Lego sets. Both JPIII and JW were lacking, especially with JPIII being part of that movie series, rather than being its own line. I swear to God if I don't get a good Ian minifig...

Are those Papo?

Cortana says yes, at least for the first couple.

I loved the original JP line. Those toys were incredible. I got a LOT of mileage out of the command center playpin and that big ass T-Rex that had a weird reddish color to it.

When TLW came out I was kinda over toys (JP came out when I was 10, TLW, 14, was going into high school) plus the movie didn't make me want to own anything from it.

Amalthea

Banned
and that big ass T-Rex that had a weird reddish color to it.
The paint job of many dinos in the 1st Kenner line was inspired by the book including the T-Rex.

EDIT:
Anybody hoping the classic line will come with collectors cards like the original line (feat. painted scenes of stuff that never happened in the movies)?

The paint job of many dinos in the 1st Kenner line was inspired by the book including the T-Rex.

EDIT:
Anybody hoping the classic line will come with collectors cards like the original line (feat. painted scenes of stuff that never happened in the movies)?

Oh, gosh. I loved those cards.

EDIT:

I haven't heard of cards returning, but I don't imagine that would be something that made it to the trade shows this early... that would be super retro yet cool! Perhaps they could include codes to unlock content in whatever game they're promoting at the time?

Added an additional shelf today, still won't be enough room for the classic line, JW2 line, and potential lego sets... ill figure something out.

Q6aGuaU.jpg

We've got the first details on the Mattel Jurassic World toys! (No spoilers, don't worry)

tl;dr -

Kicking things off with a classic collection based on JURASSIC PARK late this year or early next

The core skus are as follow:

• 3 3/4″ HUMAN ACTION FIGURES ($10)
  • BASIC DINOSAUR FIGURES ($10)
  • ROARIVORES (ELECTRONIC DINOSAUR FIGURES) ($15)
  • SUPER STRIKE DINOS (DELUXE DINOSAUR FIGURES) ($20)
  • LARGE DINOSAUR FIGURES (PRICES VARY)
  • VEHICLES (PRICES VARY)
  • MATCHBOX (PRICES VARY)
  • GAMES (PRICES VARY)
  • VARIOUS ‘SMART'/ELECTRONIC TOYS (PRICES VARY)

But that's only a snapshot of what's to come - there's a lot more. Hit the link for more detailed descriptions of the toys (someone can post here if they want, I just have to run)

3.75 Humans and vehicles, hell yes!
How the hell did Hasbro just suddenly forget how a JP line works?
catalogue_kenner.jpg

A few Jurassic World 2 updates:

• Filming has 100% wrapped at Pinewood Studios/UK and they are heading to Hawaii now.
  • Hawaii sets are ready to go, with dinosaur bones, vehicles, props, and even camera cars on site.

Further, Colin Trevorrow has being doing press rounds for his new film, The Book of Henry, and has said some solid things about Jurassic World 2:

Colin Trevorrow (via Screenrant) said:
[J.A. Bayona is a different director but it's interesting, we have so many similar instincts as far as suspense and family and fears of childhood and the perspective that we want to tell the story from that even though I wrote the film, it's J.A.'s movie from start to finish. He's just – the film looks beautiful and is exciting. We're using more animatronics because I learned so much about how they can be utilized, so I built scenes that would allow us to use them – because they can't run, these are the lessons. Belén Atienza has been great as well, and it's just been something that we've all delved in and tried to make something deeper and richer and ideally better. I'm going to be the hype man for this movie, I think it's going to be a better movie – sorry

+

Colin Trevorrow (via Screenrant) said:
That was by far the most rewarding creative experience of my life, just making a movie for another director who I respect. And I built it for him, so it's different than maybe even the movie I would have written for myself. [It's] a Spanish horror/thriller with dinosaurs in it. And I loved doing it.

+

Colin Trevorrow (via Comingsoon) said:
That script had to be delivered for a February shoot, and we had to think of ‘Star Wars' somewhat simultaneously... While we were in the early stages of story on ‘Star Wars,' we shot ‘Jurassic' at Pinewood. Now, we're wrapping in about a month and everyone is going to Hawaii.‘Jurassic' ended up taking up more time and attention than I expected just because I care about it so much, I surprised myself by how much I wanted to be there for J.A. [Bayona], just as a writer. I remember directing a ‘Jurassic Park' movie and how much I would have loved to have a writer to think about the dailies and wonder what alterations we could make that would make it that much more effective. I was there with him every day to try and provide something for him that I didn't have myself.

+

Colin Trevorrow (via Cinemablend) said:
J.A Bayona is very good at [creating scares]. There are things that he'll just do with a shadow, or a rustling curtain on a wall. He's so tapped into that kind of fear, especially the fear through the eyes of child. Which, you know, he and I are just simpatico. We may be the mirrors of each other. It is by far the most satisfying collaboration of my life. First of all I think the mainstream loves being scared, and I think the scares in the first movie were made to make children think like they were seeing something horrifying, that their parents shouldn't be allowing them to see. We have that a little bit here. But there's also that same big, fun adventure, sweeping, romantic kind of action in part of the movie. That people seemingly responded really well to. We're not throwing it all way, but we're definitely going to some new places."

Finally, as an aside - I have seen his new movie, The Book of Henry, and think it's best film yet. The content is more than a bit heavy, and the movie probably won't be for everyone, but I do recommend checking it out... he gets some great performances from his actors, some solid organic laughs, and beautifully executes some heavy content.

Added an additional shelf today, still won't be enough room for the classic line, JW2 line, and potential lego sets... ill figure something out.

Q6aGuaU.jpg

Holy shit, dude.

Last I talked to Universal in April, they liked the idea of Comic Con but it sounded like they wouldn't be there with a Jurassic, really.

If I had to guess, it may be a web release for 'Jurassic June' and perhaps hit on the "1 year til release" mark?

Welp, now I know what panel is at the top of my list for SDCC.

Top Bottom