• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

Pau

Man I was hoping this would come out at midnight EST but it's probably for the best since I have to wake up early for jury duty.

Aangster

Have the devs given indication of their plans for post-launch support, perhaps a roadmap? Can we expect content updates, e.g. new objects and additional management features, or paid DLC/expansion content.

ryan299

How does the game handle workshop items? Is it just a giant list of everything you've subscribed to or is there some organization to it?

Unicorn

Game of the Year.

Music is amazing
Creative options are phenomenal
Coaster tools are intuitive and insightful
Aesthetic is on-point

I just wish I didn't overwhelm myself with the billion park and theme ideas I have going that paralyze me.

Have the devs given indication of their plans for post-launch support, perhaps a roadmap? Can we expect content updates, e.g. new objects and additional management features, or paid DLC/expansion content.

They have said they plan to support it for a good while, but no roadmap or specifics announced I don't think. If I had to guess they'll put out a free theme and ride every so often and then a bigger more focused expansion or two.

How does the game handle workshop items? Is it just a giant list of everything you've subscribed to or is there some organization to it?
It's organised into categories under "My Blueprints". Coasters, buildings, scenes, shops, tracked rides. And then each of those has sub-categories like Food Shops, Gift Shops, Wooden Coaster etc. And some items will appear in more than one category. A Coaster with a food shop built into the station design can appear in coasters and food shops, for example. Plus there's a search box which I find to be the quickest method of finding things.

I love that OP, very well done, made me smile :)

Can't wait to pick this up! Gonna try and get my girlfriends excited too, she really enjoyed RCT3 when she was younger... might be the hook I need.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Any way to disable the narrowing FOV with increasing speed during ride cam? (similar to when you sprint in some FPS)

Looks like that was added by request, but I don't like the effect personally.

Arex

I'm really hoping they stop with the everyday updates now that the game is out, at least make it weekly. I can't really play cause everytime I finish downloading one another comes out lol

I'm really hoping they stop with the everyday updates now that the game is out, at least make it weekly. I can't really play cause everytime I finish downloading one another comes out lol

Haha I know what you mean.

Work today so will have to wait till tonight to make progress on my park :(

Special mention to the soundtrack. After just a couple of days the tunes are already in my head and not in a bad way at all.

satriales

Anyone else here going to the launch party later?

I just finished up and released my coaster last night:

Download: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800993175

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzWo_Y18-c

76w2NrP.jpg

Tash

I've been messing around with Beta since last Friday and been streaming trying out challenge mode and made a few assets. I am totally in love with this game being a creative person and all :D

I've never played a roller coaster sim before and I generally don't play a lot of sims (the last one was the original sim city :p). Having a super hard time creating coasters that work well (I just learned about banking and all other coaster terms and I am turning into a total coaster nerd!).

With that said. From the moment I got it I always wanted to make an Asian inspired theme park and I can't wait to get going on properly designing one.

For now I've been messing around in the sandbox, creating assets for my future park.
I also uploaded two of the items to the workshop and feedback is more than welcome :)

I am now working on the information booth to fit with the whole theme.

In case anyone is interested in the Blueprints (My Steam Name: Tascha):
Asian inspired Gazebo
Asian inspired Small House

R99b9vW.png

Staab

Great job with the OT, Ridley!

Can't wait to dig in tonight... Hope they let us preload at some point even if the game seems to be only about 8gb.

AngerdX

I´m actually thinking of refunding this crap, as soon as i touch the mouse scroll wheel this game goes heywire, now they did official release and it´s still broken.

Dissapointing it´s been 3-4 patches and still this persists.

Lichter

I'm so nostalgic of the Roller Coaster Tycoon games, I'm gonna buy it I think, though I don't have time to play it right now.

Pachimari

I'm so incredibly excited about this game, unfortunately I won't have the money for it until January at least. I haven't had this urge for a theme park tycoon game since Rollercoaster Tycoon 1.

Tash

I´m actually thinking of refunding this crap, as soon as i touch the mouse scroll wheel this game goes heywire, now they did official release and it´s still broken.

Dissapointing it´s been 3-4 patches and still this persists.

Wut? I have no issues. Are you talking about camera movement or something else?

AngerdX

Wut? I have no issues. Are you talking about camera movement or something else?

Yes camera movement with scroll wheel, makes the game unresponsive and keeps beeping and it´s been there since i bought it and still is there, it´s been reported on their forums and yet it´s persisting, i simply have no idea on how to fix it, and playing while having to remember not to touch the scroll is no way to play, as soon as i do the game is fucked. :/

For me it´s a complete showstopper. :/

Comandr

Love the OT. Love the game. Can't wait for the official launch. That said, I thought I'd post some tips (?) based entirely on my personal observations. I don't claim that any of the observations listed are true or accurate. They are just as they appear to me.

1) The length of a queue is measured differently than the duration (wait time) of the queue. Even if a line moves really fast, but is a mile long, a lot of people will turn away from it. Consider making shorter queues if you have a lot of guests saying that they don't want to queue that long.

2) I personally don't see a lot of benefit of Priority Passes (fast passes). I find they disrupt queues quite often. If you place a priority pass queue entrance near the beginning of your queue, people thinking about the priority line will halt traffic behind them. If it's close to the entrance, that means that even if only 4 people are in your queue, no one else will be able to enter because some jackass is thinking about the priority one. It appears that right now, even if the priority queue is not completely full, they will NOT enter at all if there is more than a certain number of people in the queue. The system appears to count bodies, not percentage capacity. All this adds up to guests holding up the rest of your line, and blocking guests from queuing for the ride at all. Even with over 10 rides in my park featuring priority passes, I can't seem to get away with selling the damn things for more than $8, and even then, they aren't flying off shelves. Dropping the price of them down too much more barely covers the cost of the building operation and the employee to run it, making it more trouble than it's worth.

3) Duration of a ride appears to affect fair price. If you have a ride with good stats, but is only 20 seconds long, guests will scoff at the idea of paying $10 for a ticket, and rightfully so. But if you have say, a 5 minute log flume ride, they will tell you that paying $16 per person is "a really good value!"

4) If you want a quick and dirty way to get your queue scenery rating to 100%, add a bunch of speakers, ambient or music around the queue, then select them all and drag them just below the surface. You have a clean queue, and each speaker adds about 5-8% to the rating, all while being dirt cheap to purchase an maintain.

5) If you want to build a ride into a mountain, like Splash Mountain, build the ride first, and then the mountain around it. Don't be like me and try to do it the other way around. Nightmare. On the upside I became super pro at camera manipulation.

That's all I got. Hopefully some of my rambling helps someone. Please post lots of cool stuff. I have no creative capacity and rely entirely on others to craft fabulous mansions and shops etc. Please understand.

Yes camera movement with scroll wheel, makes the game unresponsive and keeps beeping and it´s been there since i bought it and still is there, it´s been reported on their forums and yet it´s persisting, i simply have no idea on how to fix it, and playing while having to remember not to touch the scroll is no way to play, as soon as i do the game is fucked. :/

For me it´s a complete showstopper. :/

Have you tried pressing T in game to switch camera movement types? I switch between the two constantly, but have never had the issue you're talking about.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So what do you guys think of the singleplayer portion? Because citybuilding-games or themepark-games are always really fun. But endless building with an unlimited amount of money is fun.

But I find the modes where you have challenges and really have to manage a lot more fun. Something that was really missing for me in City Skylines. So how is this in Planet Coaster? Is there enough of content like that?

Comandr

So what do you guys think of the singleplayer portion? Because citybuilding-games or themepark-games are always really fun. But endless building with an unlimited amount of money is fun.

But I find the modes where you have challenges and really have to manage a lot more fun. Something that was really missing for me in City Skylines. So how is this in Planet Coaster? Is there enough of content like that?

Some people might really enjoy the UNLIMITED EVERYTHING sandbox mode. I think it has a place if you want to experiment or build something special without having to worry about money while you are trying out ideas.

That being said, my favorite modes so far have been SP and Challenge modes, where I have objectives, sometimes pretty hard ones.

Furthermore, Challenge mode allows you to take on an empty park in a given biome, such as Tropical, Alpine, Desert, etc. Then you can select the difficulty, which affects starting cash, refund amount (if you make something and then sell it later) how easy it is to keep guests happy, and how frequently rides wear out and break down. During this mode, you will be presented with small challenges like make a certain amount of money a month, have this many people in your park, a ride this tall, or this fast. Achieving these will earn you a reward.

Mik2121

I started a park in Challenge mode and I'm going super slow but having so much fun. Each decoration building is a big hit to the budget, hahah!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Some people might really enjoy the UNLIMITED EVERYTHING sandbox mode. I think it has a place if you want to experiment or build something special without having to worry about money while you are trying out ideas.

That being said, my favorite modes so far have been SP and Challenge modes, where I have objectives, sometimes pretty hard ones.

Furthermore, Challenge mode allows you to take on an empty park in a given biome, such as Tropical, Alpine, Desert, etc. Then you can select the difficulty, which affects starting cash, refund amount (if you make something and then sell it later) how easy it is to keep guests happy, and how frequently rides wear out and break down. During this mode, you will be presented with small challenges like make a certain amount of money a month, have this many people in your park, a ride this tall, or this fast. Achieving these will earn you a reward.
I understand why people find this unlimited everything a lot of fun. But I enjoy a game like this more when you have goals.

It says the campaign mode has 12 different scenario's. Is that enough? I image finishing a scenario is not going to take hours?

Tash

2) I personally don't see a lot of benefit of Priority Passes (fast passes). I find they disrupt queues quite often. If you place a priority pass queue entrance near the beginning of your queue, people thinking about the priority line will halt traffic behind them. If it's close to the entrance, that means that even if only 4 people are in your queue, no one else will be able to enter because some jackass is thinking about the priority one. It appears that right now, even if the priority queue is not completely full, they will NOT enter at all if there is more than a certain number of people in the queue. The system appears to count bodies, not percentage capacity. All this adds up to guests holding up the rest of your line, and blocking guests from queuing for the ride at all. Even with over 10 rides in my park featuring priority passes, I can't seem to get away with selling the damn things for more than $8, and even then, they aren't flying off shelves. Dropping the price of them down too much more barely covers the cost of the building operation and the employee to run it, making it more trouble than it's worth.

4) If you want a quick and dirty way to get your queue scenery rating to 100%, add a bunch of speakers, ambient or music around the queue, then select them all and drag them just below the surface. You have a clean queue, and each speaker adds about 5-8% to the rating, all while being dirt cheap to purchase an maintain.

5) If you want to build a ride into a mountain, like Splash Mountain, build the ride first, and then the mountain around it. Don't be like me and try to do it the other way around. Nightmare. On the upside I became super pro at camera manipulation.

2) if you only played beta I think it was confirmed that the priority passes were bugged. For some people only bought them for 1 dollar or lower

4) dragging below surface is generally a great idea. I do that with colored lights all the time. Makes for some cool "underwater" fake effects for caves and such :)

5) or just click the checkbox that automatically creates borrowing when adding coasters. It works for underground but also mountains you might have built already. I generally build the mountains around the coasters as well though. There is just a bit of bugging when you change terrain around the coaster station. You might have issues with placing the entrance and exit due to polygon issues around the edges.

I started with the Challenge not really knowing what it was. Totally blind, too which means I struggled quite a bit and made a lot of mistakes however, I managed to get it to a income of 130k before I totally destroyed it with adding too many bad custom coasters. It's quite difficult but the amount of customization and stuff you can do including marketing etc is insanely fun.

I will build my dream coaster park in sandbox first then try it out in challenge mode after. It's really difficult to do well with custom stuff in challenge for a total noob like me :)

Comandr

I understand why people find this unlimited everything a lot of fun. But I enjoy a game like this more when you have goals.

It says the campaign mode has 12 different scenario's. Is that enough? I image finishing a scenario is not going to take hours?

I mean, you might be surprised. Each level has 3 stars to achieve. Copper, Silver, Gold. Some higher levels can only be unlocked after you gain a certain number of stars. (Is there a weird Mario 64 reference here somewhere?) For instance the gold star in the first level requires you to have a monthly income of $9,000. Depending on your playstyle, this might be pretty easy, or pretty hard. So it could in theory take you much longer than someone else to achieve this. There's no reason to think that further scenarios won't be available through free dlc or paid expansions. Even if each scenario you were able to blast through in 2 hours (which I just don't think is possible), that'd still be 24 hours of sp content on day 1, which is a lot more sp content than a lot of today's offerings.

My current play time is at 47 hours. I've only completed two levels, and I thoroughly enjoy the game; can't wait to devour more of it. I sincerely think it's worth a purchase. And hey, if you hate it, there's always a 2 hour window for a refund.

Merino

My own 2 cents right now is that both the two scenario's from the Career part of the game that were in the Beta, as well as the Challenge mode (hard difficulty) are far to easy to complete and actually rather bland in terms of challenge and strategic depth.

The first scenario is literally finish able in 5 minutes time with almost no effort.
The second scenario can be finished in 30 minutes with little effort.

The hard challenge mode is really hard at the start because they give you only $2000 to start with and you can't take out any loans. However once you have two rides down money will come in so fast that it will never really be much of a challenge anymore.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/15950-I-went-afk-for-half-an-hour-to-go-to-the-store

This guy has $250.000 in bank after letting his game run for half an hour with 3 rides and 1 coaster on hard difficulty.

Things may have been better balanced in the release version and there are 10 more scenario's that may offer more interesting gameplay. But honestly, as a simulation/management/tycoon gamer for my entire life, the game is very easy and does not offer much of an interesting challenge as of now.

So for the Dutch NeoGAF-visitors here (I think you're one as well, right, Kabouter?), I've made an article on de Dutch gamesite InsideGamer about my current Planet Coaster addiction, with screens of my current park (same as I posted on the previous page of this thread). You can see it here.

Any chance of this coming to PS4 with mouse and/or keyboard support?

No, sorry. Maybe the changes in the future, but I dont think its going to happen.

Anyone else here going to the launch party later?

I just finished up and released my coaster last night:

Download: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800993175

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OzWo_Y18-c

76w2NrP.jpg

Wow satriales, that looks SUPER amazing. Most realistic spinning coaster ive seen in the game.
Will add it to the thread this afternoon when i have some time.

In case anyone is interested in the Blueprints (My Steam Name: Tascha):
Asian inspired Gazebo
Asian inspired Small House

R99b9vW.png

Wow Tash, thats beuatiful! People need to look at this kind of things when they think theres only 6 themes. We dont have an asian theme and this just looks like if the theme existed in the game. Will add it this afternoon!
Also, a little off topic here, I dont know if you remember we met on a indie videogame convention in Madrid some years ago. Happy to see you are also a fan of Planet Coaster. Hope everything is going great! :D

That's not true, Bootcamp just allows you to install Windows on a Mac like on every other PC. That's not a virtual machine or anything.

Sorry, I just added that because some people at the official forums were saying they were playing on mac by using bootcamp, I know its probably takes a little more work than that to make it run, but I suppose that was the first step.

Tash

Wow Tash, thats beuatiful! People need to look at this kind of things when they think theres only 6 themes. We dont have an asian theme and this just looks like if the theme existed in the game. Will add it this afternoon!
Also, a little off topic here, I dont know if you remember we met on a indie videogame convention in Madrid some years ago. Happy to see you are also a fan of Planet Coaster. Hope everything is going great! :D

Oh hey! I thought your Account Name sounded familiar and YES I do remember now :) Small world. It's going good, thank you!

Also thanks so much for the compliment! Really glad you like the building. Curious to see what you do with it :)

I am still learning but I am really trying to think outside of the box with the custom pieces we have. I feel there are no limits to what you can do and I find new uses for pre-existing items constantly. For example, it's a great idea to look at the back of, say for example, windows. You can use those as fillers and they have more often than not super cool patterns and you can often color these pieces as opposite to premade planks/wood walls.

My goal is to create tons of cultural base assets and make them available in the workshop. My next idea is to re-create proper cultural Swiss and Greek houses which should be pretty easy with the tons of assets we have in the custom area.

I do have a questions and hope someone can help out: I am confused as to which parts of the game are local only. For example are blueprints I don't share on steam only locally available? What about game saves?

I am asking because I dabble a bit with blueprints and custom buildings during my lunch time at work but I didn't have all the things I made last night on stream at home. So a bit confused by that.

Thanks in advance :)

Lordzap

Neo Member
So I bought the game from the Planet Coaster website about a month ago, am I supposed to have a code already or do I have to wait until it launches? Edit: Nvm I figured it out.

I actually thought it was just me being derpy. The only issue I have with the camera is that it speeds up insanely sometimes.

Huh yeah I had the same thing. Its like it focusses on one point when you scroll all of a sudden. When I started up the game again it was gone, then after a while it came again.

I thought I used a keyboard shortcut to change the camera or something but apparently its a bug if we all noticed it.

Tash

Huh yeah I had the same thing. Its like it focusses on one point when you scroll all of a sudden. When I started up the game again it was gone, then after a while it came again.

I thought I used a keyboard shortcut to change the camera or something but apparently its a bug if we all noticed it.

Cool - thanks for the confirmation. Yeah I thought the same, that I just must have hit a weird keybinding or some such. Glad to know it's most likely a bug. It also sometimes jumped really far away (could be an issue with collision spheres on the terrain then).

So, I just finished this fanart (can it be called fanart when you made the character? lol) to congratulate the release. Cant be at the event sadly, but Zac (one of the community managers) maybe prints it for it, so I will be there on soul
foxywantsyouposterlxu3g.png

Oh hey! I thought your Account Name sounded familiar and YES I do remember now :) Small world. It's going good, thank you!

Also thanks so much for the compliment! Really glad you like the building. Curious to see what you do with it :)

I am still learning but I am really trying to think outside of the box with the custom pieces we have. I feel there are no limits to what you can do and I find new uses for pre-existing items constantly. For example, it's a great idea to look at the back of, say for example, windows. You can use those as fillers and they have more often than not super cool patterns and you can often color these pieces as opposite to premade planks/wood walls.

My goal is to create tons of cultural base assets and make them available in the workshop. My next idea is to re-create proper cultural Swiss and Greek houses which should be pretty easy with the tons of assets we have in the custom area.

I do have a questions and hope someone can help out: I am confused as to which parts of the game are local only. For example are blueprints I don't share on steam only locally available? What about game saves?

I am asking because I dabble a bit with blueprints and custom buildings during my lunch time at work but I didn't have all the things I made last night on stream at home. So a bit confused by that.

Thanks in advance :)
Glad everything is going good!
I think what you say is the most important thing to get creative in the game tash, thinking outside the box is one of the most fun things to do, although i know its somewhat difficult for some people to do.
About the blueprints, everything you saved, including parks, its only saved locally, you need to upload them then into steam by using one of the button near the blueprints you saved.

How does the Coaster building and physics compare to say No Limits 2?

Outside of No Limits 2, is the best coaster builder out there, but this one is first and foremost a game, so it has some limitations that No Limits doesnt have becuase its obviuously a profram to make porfessional coasters, not a game, and of course this one is thousand times easier to use.
About the physics, creating some recreations, and having seen a video of a real coaster (the swarm) done by them when i went to Frontier (they cant show it officialy) the steel coasters seems to be nearly as realsitic as their real counterparts, stat up stat down.
The wooden and hybrid coasters also seem to behave correctly. There are two coasters that seems a little iffy on the weight of the car (el loco and loony turns, the infinty type Gerstlauer coasters), but apart from that, everything seems to work how it should.

You can also take out the coaster supports with a tick box and build your own with the game pieces if you want.

deleted

Does this have a Multiplayer mode? I'd love to have a park where we build it with 4 different people, each in his little area..

Burny

Does this have a Multiplayer mode? I'd love to have a park where we build it with 4 different people, each in his little area..

Nope, unfortunately. I don't know if it has ever been brought up with Frontier, but a colleague of mine has been asking fo the same thing.

Cooperative mutliplayer building sessions would be a magnificient feature.

Does anybody know anything about Frontier's stance towards cooperative multi"player" park building? Has anybody ever asked them for it? Seems to be apretty successful feature of e.g. Factorio.

Cool - thanks for the confirmation. Yeah I thought the same, that I just must have hit a weird keybinding or some such. Glad to know it's most likely a bug. It also sometimes jumped really far away (could be an issue with collision spheres on the terrain then).

I have that too. And sometimes the cam gets stuck in a building and scrolling out of it takes ages, but thats an option in the camera menu - you can turn off the slower scrolling when editing buildings and roads

Merino

Is there any way to increase the popularity of gift shops? They seem unusually unpopular.
Where are they located?

Logic in previous games was that placing a gift shop at the exit of a popular ride would boost income from that shop. Not sure if it still works that way or if other things are more important.

Kabouter

Where are they located?

Logic in previous games was that placing a gift shop at the exit of a popular ride would boost income from that shop. Not sure if it still works that way or if other things are more important.

Well, my balloon shop is near the exit of my most popular coaster and two more gentle rides that are popular (since I figure it won't be the coaster people buying there anyway), but I still have to pay the employee more than I do those at other shops for him not to quit out of boredom.

Will update both of you around friday with more impressions on the campaign and the challenge of the management simulation.

In the beta I found the management to leave much desired and the challenge in the campaign was not there at all.

I appreciate that. The challenge mode sounds like a lot of fun, and it's those aspects I crave.

deleted

Nope, unfortunately. I don't know if it has ever been brought up with Frontier, but a colleague of mine has been asking fo the same thing.

Cooperative mutliplayer building sessions would be a magnificient feature.

Does anybody know anything about Frontier's stance towards cooperative multi"player" park building? Has anybody ever asked them for it? Seems to be apretty successful feature of e.g. Factorio.

I see, that's too bad. Haven't tried out Factorio so far either, so maybe I'll just give that one a try when I'm in the mood for some MP building.

Otherwise this games looks amazing obviously. A game to kickstart a genre back in to the limelight and end it in the same game because how could anyone top this?

Top Bottom