• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch Visor! Play comfortably from your bed!

Phawx

Hey hey everyone!

NEfJGV4.png

So, I'll be the first to admit that this accessory is... lazy.

It's for lazy people.

There have been other people that have used clamps and mounts connected to beds and stuff, but that seemed less ideal to me. The benefits to having a headmount for the Switch is that the orientation is always correct no matter which way you are laying.

Do you want to lay on your side and play the Switch, NO PROBLEM!

Do you want to lay on your back or just sit on the couch with headphones? NO PROBLEM!

The VISOR has been designed to allow all of these ports to remain open and accessible:

• volume buttons
  • 3.5mm audio jack
  • exhaust vent
  • game cart slot

And best news of all! I'm providing the 3D files so you can 3D print your OWN SWITCH VISOR, FREE O CHARGE:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0a0ycuz9dug4xzg/Switch+Visor+3D+Printing+files.zip

The only thing worth noting is that the cut-outs to make room for people who wear glasses, it needs to be extended a bit more. It didn't make the cut in this 3D print. Feel free to modify these files!

Anyhoo, here is a video of the Switch and how it looks from the user's point of view and how I use it when I'm playing in bed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvxaJe31yQ

I'm all for ingenuity and the Switch's modular style lends itself well to all sorts of diy. That said, this looks like it might be bad for your eyes.

o4LRGe9.png

I use VR a lot, so the idea of a face-mounted display isn't so bonkers, but this is so long that it seems silly.

Phawx

Thanks for the files. I already patented it. Will gladly share pennies for a dollar with you.

I'd be all for China to produce a better version of this for cheaper than I can 3D print it.

Would this be bad for your eyes having it up so close?

Well, it doesn't hurt my eyes. It's 9ish inches away from the eyeballs.

Yes. Also I really need to lose weight.

This looks really uncomfortable.

It's actually not all that bad. Ironically, the card board prototype hurt way worse. But the plastic with foam adhesive is okay.

On weekends I turn into a lazy blob that just exists.

This will be plenty useful.

Now you're playing with powah!

I don't know why but I'd be worried about intruders coming into my house or room if I was wearing that in bed. Kind of an illogical thing to worry about but it was my first thought.

Just buy a gooseneck mount and clamp it to your bed frame. That's what I did and it works really well without requiring you to attach a hunk of plastic to your face.

Phawx

I don't know why but I'd be worried about intruders coming into my house or room if I was wearing that in bed. Kind of an illogical thing to worry about but it was my first thought.

Haha. I suppose if you also elected to wear headphones it would indeed be a concern I suppose.

4gYCxl.jpg

Humanity was a mistake.

Interesting idea tho!

Real talk, I'm way too heavy. I need to set myself straight.

The plastics are glossy? Why would you want this ?

I think it's only noticeably glossy because it's bright blue. Having said that, I'm sure there are other plastic filaments you could use to minimize glossiness. Someone did recommend to me this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B5FNRZS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Which is a black felt material to basically put on the inside of the Visor to have everything be pitch black inside.

Just buy a gooseneck mount and clamp it to your bed frame. That's what I did and it works really well without requiring you to attach a hunk of plastic to your face.

I did see those solutions as well. Just wanted to give this a go as it was a fun little project and about $9 worth of materials.

PrimeBeef

Man I must be weird. My bed is for two things and videogames ain't one of them. I could never lay in bed on my back and game. Too uncomfortable.

TripleBee

While the only time I every play portable or phone games is in bed - i'm not sure my gf would appreciate me wearing a giant visor.

shira

I see no possible scenario that I would play like that.

If I'm too tired I'll go to sleep.

I think signs of fatigue are essential and telling you when to take a break, not bypassing them to make it lazier for you to play

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Best use case for this is, playing in bed, next to your sleeping wife, not annoying her with screen light.

ghibli99

The interior needs some black felt or something to reduce all the light reflection off the sides.

I just lay in bed on my stomach with the joycons attached and play it that way, just like how I do with all my handhelds.

brad-t

Best use case for this is, playing in bed, next to your sleeping wife, not annoying her with screen light.

Why not just get up and play somewhere else?

Impressive that you could make this OP, but I don't see how this is more comfortable than literally any other configuration.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Why not just get up and play somewhere else?

Impressive that you could make this OP, but I don't see how this is more comfortable than literally any other configuration.
My wife hates it when I leave her to go and play downstairs. Is it a cold feet issue? An abandon feeling? Whatever. I could definitely use it, moreso if Netflix ever releases on Switch.

EvB

Would this be bad for your eyes having it up so close?

Unless you are a new born baby your eyes can’t sustain the level of strain this would put your eyes under for very long.

Unless this guy has also put some optics in it (which is the only way it would really work).

I lay on my side, this seems to bulky to do that comfortably and this will probably wind up seriously fucking up someone’s neck.

But hey, if you’re happy OP...

Lorcain

Man I must be weird. My bed is for two things and videogames ain't one of them. I could never lay in bed on my back and game. Too uncomfortable.
So sleeping and...

Reading?
Listening to classical music?
Browing GAF on your laptop?

Really can't figure out what you mean here.
Based on the username I'm going to guess Sleeping and Weight Lifting? Maybe he does some dumbbell training on his biceps and shoulders, and hand grips for the hands and forearms before going to sleep. I really can't think what else it could be.

Phawx

I see no possible scenario that I would play like that.

If I'm too tired I'll go to sleep.

I think signs of fatigue are essential and telling you when to take a break, not bypassing them to make it lazier for you to play

Legit laughed out loud.

Wasn't trying to body shame you!

I took no offense. Merely once again seeing an image of my large self :D

This, by far, the most embarrassing device I've ever seen.

Haha. This thread has been worth it for laughs.

It won't sell 10s

Especially considering I'm giving it away for free!

Ogni-XR21

I don't even have a Switch but can see why this could be a nice thing to have from my 3DS and Vita experiences.

In the deluxe version you can then have some black fabric on the inside to reduce the reflections on the inside of the visor.

Top Bottom