• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Soul matching is expensive, but at least you know what you're getting. Reforging is like gambling for gear in Diablo 2. I spent so much, and I still haven't received the attributes I want, but I need to stop, and just finish up NG+. :) Magic scaling B+ is going to have to do on this weapon.

cyress8

Banned
I remember being able to see green dots on the world map in the first level where the little green guys are. Every level after it didn't have those green dots.

Can anyone explain why? I don't remember wearing anything special that would sense them.

You had something on with Kodama Sense or you changed one of your guardian spirits with it.

Soul matching is expensive, but at least you know what you're getting. Reforging is like gambling for gear in Diablo 2. I spent so much, and I still haven't received the attributes I want, but I need to stop, and just finish up NG+. :) Magic scaling B+ is going to have to do on this weapon.

It's so much like gambling that I'm surprised at the moral fiber it must have took to not include micro transactions.

Is Soul Matching even needed on a first playthrough? I rarely keep using the same gear for long.

I occasionally use it to keep a gear updated if I don't find anything to replace it anything soon.

For example I'm running an Onmyou build and so I want to keep the head piece for faster spell casting bonus for as long as possible.

Any area I should be looking? Not finding them on the bridge mission.

All of the ones I've found have not been in any one particular area but, rather, strewn about randomly. That said, it is one of the more common drops I get off of Kusarigama revenants.

Since the Onikiba Kusarigama is part of the Iga ninja set, if you call a revenant and it's dressed like a ninja, chances are it's using that one.

Audioboxer

What the heck? After multiple bosses in a row I got onto some big multi headed
serpent thing
and it's
heads
seemed to get stuck behind the building and I couldn't get to them. Bug?

Had to quit the game from the XMB and I'm about to try again.

What the heck? After multiple bosses in a row I got onto some big multi headed
serpent thing
and it's
heads
seemed to get stuck behind the building and I couldn't get to them. Bug?

Had to quit the game from the XMB and I'm about to try again.

No, not a bug. You can only attack the heads for a very short time after they attack you, its a very small window. As soon as the head is done with the attack animation go up close to it and you can get enough swings to cut it down. Repeat for as long as needed, it's the same for every single head. Sometime they will destroy the big crystals and the head that does it will drop on the roof, this is your free ride, get close and kill it.

edit: Oh man, I have 272 hours and 21 minutes on the clock already, I knew I play Nioh a lot but not that much lol

Quick question, I know the Book of Reincarnation max price is 1 000 000, but is it an infinite source at the blacksmith?

What about the hidden teahouse?

Quick question, I know the Book of Reincarnation max price is 1 000 000, but is it an infinite source at the blacksmith?

What about the hidden teahouse?

I'm pretty sure it is infinite source in both places, otherwise it would probably say quantity next to it if there was a limit on it.

What's an effective way to get screenshots onto my laptop? Can I stick a flash drive in the PS4? lol. (Want to share my final gear)

Got em!

Imgur link to my build! Because of the accessory I get the three piece bonus from Yagyu (so like 3% CC damage increase), and four piece bonus from Fanatic (LV stronger, critical damage way up).

Now just gotta refashion and soul match it all to +10...

According to the game stats I spent over 70mil gold at the blacksmith lol Got 20 mil more ready to be spend. Reforging and soul matching ain't cheap :D

Espada

Is it just me or does Soul Matching armor not make much of a difference? I'm at +8 armor and I don't feel all that durable.

Just finished the 3rd region and Team Ninja really had me fighting
a Frog smoking a cigar lol.
This is my first time spending a lot of time with the game since I bought it during launch week. I'm really enjoying this and this is coming from someone who doesn't play Soulsbourne games like that (I do own Bloodbourne though). How many regions are there in total?

Just finished the 3rd region and Team Ninja really had me fighting
a Frog smoking a cigar lol.
This is my first time spending a lot of time with the game since I bought it during launch week. I'm really enjoying this and this is coming from someone who doesn't play Soulsbourne games like that (I do own Bloodbourne though). How many regions are there in total?

Region total:

Is it just me or does Soul Matching armor not make much of a difference? I'm at +8 armor and I don't feel all that durable.

It will never be unless you wearing heavy armor. If you gonna play some normal stages they will barely do any damage to you but in NG+ you can't take many hits. In full light +10 gear I can only take 3 shots from heavy hitters.

Espada

It will never be unless you wearing heavy armor. If you gonna play some normal stages they will barely do any damage to you but in NG+ you can't take many hits. In full light +10 gear I can only take 3 shots from heavy hitters.

Oh, that's what I figured. If I got back to one of the earlier regions in Way of the Strong it takes them a while to drop me but in the last two I still have to be wary. I'm wearing medium armor, BTW.

My next goal is to soul match my +10 sword to 160, but that's going to take massive amount of forging.

Espada

I keep reading 10+ sword, what is that? Can i upgrade my sword or check the level it is? Im confused.

Once you complete the game you have access to a new tier of weapons called Divine weapons. All of them are level 150 but they can go higher than that if you soul match them. That way you can make your +0 divine gear +1, +2, etc... You can check your weapon's level in the top left of its status screen (where the attack stat and special effects are).

Oh, that's what I figured. If I got back to one of the earlier regions in Way of the Strong it takes them a while to drop me but in the last two I still have to be wary. I'm wearing medium armor, BTW.

My next goal is to soul match my +10 sword to 160, but that's going to take massive amount of forging.

If I may suggest something, try to forge Osafune Kanemitsu as I had the most luck with it. I forged 50 of them 4 of which were lvl160. I used divine fragments for each forge, not sure if it helps or not, but all 4 were Divine weapons. I also got a few 160 weapons from the Hidden Tea House as well.

Remember that you can also bring all the armor and ranged weapons to level 160 as well so that is even more forging lol

Which dual sword parry do people use?

There's one that delivers a backstab, and one that seemingly knocks the enemy's ki gauge empty.

I'm guessing the latter is better?

So if I just forge a low rarity sword in Blacksmith after beating level 320 Queen's Eyes, how rare is it to get a 160 weapon? I've only gotten 150s after about 40 forges. Is it like literally only going to be a 150 OR a 160? I've never gotten anything like 153.

So if I just forge a low rarity sword in Blacksmith after beating level 320 Queen's Eyes, how rare is it to get a 160 weapon? I've only gotten 150s after about 40 forges. Is it like literally only going to be a 150 OR a 160? I've never gotten anything like 153.

If you haven't beat the 320 mission you have chance to forge lvl 155 gear (have not seen anything other than 155 and 160) if you completed the mission then you have a chance to forge level 150 gear.

As of getting lvl 160 gear, well that all comes to luck I guess. The most luck I had was Osafune Kanemitsu, as I got 4 lvl160 swords out of 50 I forged. Also not sure if it affects forging or not but I always put all the gear I have with luck on it and change my guardian spirit to little spider that gives you luck.

RexNovis

Banned
DO the attributes on the secondary weapon (whicever ones you dont currently have equipped for use in mission) count while not currently equipped? I'm asking for both melee and ranged weapons? I'm wondering if I need to min max the bonuses on my secondary slots as well as my primary.

DO the attributes on the secondary weapon (whicever ones you dont currently have equipped for use in mission) count while not currently equipped? I'm asking for both melee and ranged weapons? I'm wondering if I need to min max the bonuses on my secondary slots as well as my primary.

Only equipped weapons give you stats and attributes, but you can get the secondary weapons that are part of the set and get the set bonuses from them. They just have to be equipped in that case.

Like I'm using Warrior of the West sword as a main weapon and head piece and I use his bow as a secondary ranged weapon. Yatagarasu Sword as a secondary weapon and his Ravenwing rifle as a main ranged weapon and Yatagarasu chest piece. With Yasakani I get 4 pieces bonuses from both.

RexNovis

Banned
Only equipped weapons give you stats and attributes, but you can get the secondary weapons that are part of the set and get the set bonuses from them. They just have to be equipped in that case.

Like I'm using Warrior of the West sword as a main weapon and head piece and I use his bow as a secondary ranged weapon. Yatagarasu Sword as a secondary weapon and his rifle as a main ranged weapon and Yatagarasu chest piece. With Yasakami I get 4 pieces bonuses from both.

OK thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure. Also in the skills section the mystic Sword skills specify they only work if you have a sword in your primary weapon slot. Does this mean that you have to be using a sword or just that one needs to be in your primary slot?

OK thats what I thought I just wanted to make sure. Also in the skills section the mystic Sword skills specify they only work if you have a sword in your primary weapon slot. Does this mean that you have to be using a sword or just that one needs to be in your primary slot?

The attack from behind? Not sure, I never really tried it with a different weapons.

RexNovis

Banned
The attack from behind? Not sure, I never really tried it with a different weapons.

Ill test it out when I get home. I noticed theres a 2 piece set bonus from Sanada's set to "killing strike" what exactly is a killing strike? I know final blow is the downward stab on downed enemies and grapple is the execute animation on enemies out of ki but I have no idea what Killing Strike is.

Edit: NVM appears I was looking at outdated info. It has been changed to final blow

It seems like + Final Blow damage also affects sneak attacks for some reason or am I just imagining things?

Disappointed that there's no Onmyou hero set.

'Tenka' is an obvious choice but there were no shortage of legendary Onmyouji like Abe no Seimei and Ashiya Doman

Fhtagn

Ok, so this water boss fight is fine mechanically but the hp gauge is waaaaaaaay too large so it takes 5 minutes to get to the second phase and then I die to falling off a ledge because there's almost no safe spaces to dodge in.

Going to summon with no guilt at this point as it's straight up boring at this point.

Espada

If I may suggest something, try to forge Osafune Kanemitsu as I had the most luck with it. I forged 50 of them 4 of which were lvl160. I used divine fragments for each forge, not sure if it helps or not, but all 4 were Divine weapons. I also got a few 160 weapons from the Hidden Tea House as well.

Remember that you can also bring all the armor and ranged weapons to level 160 as well so that is even more forging lol

What's funny is that not too long after you mentioned this I wound up getting 2 160 weapons. Thanks for the help, ever little bit helps on my quest to get this thing to 1700 attack power.

And yeah, there's no shame in summoning help for Umi-Bozu. He's a giant roadblock to progress if we go by the trophies marking progress through the game.

Ok, so this water boss fight is fine mechanically but the hp gauge is waaaaaaaay too large so it takes 5 minutes to get to the second phase and then I die to falling off a ledge because there's almost no safe spaces to dodge in.

Use fire, anything you have.

It's not got that much HP, just a whole lot of resistance to physical attacks. Try the Hyottoko Mask, even. Use the torches to give your weapon a fire buff.

Fhtagn

Use fire, anything you have.

It's not got that much HP, just a whole lot of resistance to physical attacks. Try the Hyottoko Mask, even. Use the torches to give your weapon a fire buff.

I have used up all of my fire items fighting this boss over and over again. I can get to the second phase reliably now and then either die to an attack I've never seen before or get pushed off a ledge. If I use the fire from the torches to do good damage, I end up swarmed by annoying blobs.

There's a good, fun boss here, but tuned as it right now, its bad because I am bored of fighting it.

Edit: like, I've got the first half down to the point that I'm timing heavy high stance attacks to catch it in the air when it switches sides. I can do this, it's just tedious as fuck to learn the second phase.

Greddleok

I found that fight was easy once I lit all the torches. The bosses attacks are pretty easy to avoid. Definitely worth saving fire for the last stage.

RexNovis

Banned
Ok so I've been making build based around dual swords with high skill damage and damage from behind. I also use a price of the Iga set for the ninjutsu renewal after LW as I make liberal use of suppa, catwalking and tiger running scrolls. This is what my primary gear looks like at the moment
7oPffZe.jpg

1pNOD1J.jpg

jAQvJYU.jpg

w1kXXNc.jpg

lqZ5Myo.jpg

XCZc6LZ.jpg

l8e6uJd.jpg

Sl5gp30.jpg

ZIsbx1p.jpg

JzqkBBE.jpg

PnYAApm.jpg

Cnlxjfk.jpg

ZbSJESH.jpg

JoGRYrE.jpg

I'm wondering what I should focus on reforging on my dual swords and on my armor at this point. Any tips would be appreciated!

Jingo

Once you complete the game you have access to a new tier of weapons called Divine weapons. All of them are level 150 but they can go higher than that if you soul match them. That way you can make your +0 divine gear +1, +2, etc... You can check your weapon's level in the top left of its status screen (where the attack stat and special effects are).

Thank you , yeah i didnt finish the game yet so question solved :D

Defuser

Going to summon with no guilt at this point as it's straight up boring at this point.
Hyokotto Mask is your best friend. That item shreds umibozu easily.

I have used up all of my fire items fighting this boss over and over again. I can get to the second phase reliably now and then either die to an attack I've never seen before or get pushed off a ledge. If I use the fire from the torches to do good damage, I end up swarmed by annoying blobs.

There's a good, fun boss here, but tuned as it right now, its bad because I am bored of fighting it.

Edit: like, I've got the first half down to the point that I'm timing heavy high stance attacks to catch it in the air when it switches sides. I can do this, it's just tedious as fuck to learn the second phase.

It only has like three moves in phase one- tentacle slam, water spit, hydro cannon.

If you save two bonfires for the second phase you'll only have to deal with one add.

Edit:

I'm currently way too powerful to test out my strategy on Uni-bozu but at the time I was using a spear and had Onmyou fire talisman skill. What I did was to use the nearest bonfire from where he's jumping to (at the time I didn't know the bonfire keeps minions from spawning). Any time I see him bobbing his head I back the fuck out and ran sideways from his face so as not to risk the OHK. The best time to attack is when you see him raise his tentacles.

The second phase I threw a ninja bomb at the remaining add. And the boss is just as simple as baiting out attacks.

knitoe

Why the hell isn't reforge random. Instead, I still haven't found the correct sequence for Dex A after 3 days. I have found everything else.

Anybody find Genbu to be a strange Guardian Spirit?

It's a magic build spirit that focus on defense and lowers movement speed when everything about mages is about light and fast dodges?

Or is this a spirit that is use to supplement mages lack of defense and that the lower movement speed is offset by being in A agility?

Audioboxer

No, not a bug. You can only attack the heads for a very short time after they attack you, its a very small window. As soon as the head is done with the attack animation go up close to it and you can get enough swings to cut it down. Repeat for as long as needed, it's the same for every single head. Sometime they will destroy the big crystals and the head that does it will drop on the roof, this is your free ride, get close and kill it.

edit: Oh man, I have 272 hours and 21 minutes on the clock already, I knew I play Nioh a lot but not that much lol

That was the issue, they refused to destroy the crystals, so the game wouldn't move onto the next phase. I've done it now though :)

Feck these post game 2 boss missions lol.

JWNSY

Just got the Platinum for Nioh. I found it really enjoyable. The combat is great and I quite liked the quirky onmyo and ninjutsu powers. The levels too were quite good, with some great locations. I wish each zone had different side area locations. I was disappointing with seeing the grassy area again in a different zone/island. I also wish there was a proper story mission on the river Sanzu just because that side mission area looks great and I'm sure they could do interesting things with it. Loved the Mt Hiei, bamboo mountain and the foggy level with the Ogress.
The enemy variety as has been pointed out, is limited, but it did mean I could rinse through the harder later levels at much lower levels and barely ever get hit. Not with the Karasu Tengu though..
Bosses were fun and enjoyable, particularly the yokai bosses. Orochi felt like a dps race though, which was not great.
I will definitely be looking forward to the DLC.

Top Bottom